PDA

View Full Version : Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 20, 2024 vs Sydney

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-07-2024, 09:03 AM
This is the Round 20, 2024 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once this afternoon's game against Sydney has concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
28-07-2024, 06:43 PM
B

Role players. Lobb, Bramble, McNeil, Khamis, West, Poulter. Have been yo-yo’s in out of clubs and/or our sides. But starting to put together body of works as role players and not fringe players.

Big forwards. Marra with an arrogant bag, Naughton lots of marks and metres gained and Darcy presenting and rucking against Grundy. Playing three different roles now and we look better for this change and them charging at the same ball.

Jones. Just let Lobb know he’s the big interceptor in the men’s department.

A

Umpiring was rediculous at times, but whatever

Like most weeks, we could’ve won by more with better goal kicking accuracy

Bailey Smith. Seems like a good place to be I would’ve thought

JanLorMill
28-07-2024, 07:08 PM
B
Bramble
JUH
our pressure
A
Junk time goals at the end really flattered them
Bias umpiring

Mofra
28-07-2024, 08:00 PM
Bankers

- The "new" defenders - Bramble, Lobb, Coffield and the 'newish' defenders Jones & Khamis show how quickly you can turn around in one part of the ground.
- Marra - 11 goals in 3 weeks against the top 3 sides
- The pressure of the smalls forward of the ball; West, Weightman, McNeill & VDM all made it hard for the opposition to exit our F50.

Anchors:
- Coffield's shoulder
- Post match press conference. Shortest of Bevo's tenure? Did only 2 journos turn up?

azabob
28-07-2024, 09:01 PM
Bankers

- The "new" defenders - Bramble, Lobb, Coffield and the 'newish' defenders Jones & Khamis show how quickly you can turn around in one part of the ground.
- Marra - 11 goals in 3 weeks against the top 3 sides
- The pressure of the smalls forward of the ball; West, Weightman, McNeill & VDM all made it hard for the opposition to exit our F50.

Anchors:
- Coffield's shoulder
- Post match press conference. Shortest of Bevo's tenure? Did only 2 journos turn up?

12 goals Mofra, 12 goals.

Dry Rot
28-07-2024, 11:18 PM
B

Bottom six players mostly had pretty good games. That makes a big difference.

We humbled the allegedly Supermen Swans midfield.

Except for junk time, our the defence didn't give them a sniff.

A

I had forgotten how much many Swans fans are really ignorant whingers

Set shot goalkicking still is it not what it should be, although it was pretty windy out there

Rocket Science
29-07-2024, 02:20 AM
B

Role players. Lobb, Bramble, McNeil, Khamis, West, Poulter. Have been yo-yo’s in out of clubs and/or our sides. But starting to put together body of works as role players and not fringe players.

Big forwards. Marra with an arrogant bag, Naughton lots of marks and metres gained and Darcy presenting and rucking against Grundy. Playing three different roles now and we look better for this change and them charging at the same ball.

Jones. Just let Lobb know he’s the big interceptor in the men’s department.

A

Umpiring was rediculous at times, but whatever

Like most weeks, we could’ve won by more with better goal kicking accuracy

Bailey Smith. Seems like a good place to be I would’ve thought

Permit me to pop the cart before the horse but I'm looking forward to the PR pitch from Camp Baz when he requests a trade away from the reigning premiers.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2024, 09:18 AM
Permit me to pop the cart before the horse but I'm looking forward to the PR pitch from Camp Baz when he requests a trade away from the reigning premiers.

I don’t care he say we he wants. If he turns into Barrass as the media suggest, that’s amazing. Yesterday Jones & Lobb were great. Replace Khamis or Coffield with one of the best defenders (Barrass) an intercept marking machine and we have a wall that even Trump would be envious of. We’ve got the forward mix and roles right and a midfield group that when they’re on are outstanding. So Brand Baz can go and give us one of the best defences, forward lines and mid groups in the comp. His reasons mean very little to me as we know the move is about him and nothing else. Imagine if we win s as flag with what we get for him being a vital cog. Not sure he’d like the media then…

bornadog
29-07-2024, 10:18 AM
Bankers

1. The first quarter set the scene for the day

2. Bulldogs pressure play all day

3. The form of the big boys, English, Marra, Naughton, Darcy, Jones, Lobb, Buku

Anchors

1. 50m penalties - two in the last were an absolute joke.

2. Junk time goals - bit annoying

3. A couple of set shots, really should have nailed those.

AshMac
29-07-2024, 08:02 PM
Bankers

- jones returning without missing a beat
- Lobb and bramble doing it again - consistency from here from both of them is critical
- dominating in the midfield with a reasonably quiet day for Bont by his standards
- the swans fans sitting around me copping an earful all game at the SCG

Anchors

- first SCG game - the crowd, the stadium music and signage, everything! Is setup to build swans momentum and squash the opposition. Very different from the way interstate teams are treated at marvel
- goal kicking. We should have beaten them by 10 goals
- some of the umpiring decisions - the holding the ball against naughton was a disgrace

FrediKanoute
29-07-2024, 10:33 PM
Bankers

1. Adam Treloar - Shout out to an amazing season this guy is having. Consistently playing at a high level.

2. JUH - wow, its all started to come together for him. He's holding marks, his ground play is awesome and he is kicking goals.

3. The whole team press - we bring pressure, pressure and more pressure to the contest, forcing errors and turnovers. We are doing this not just for a quarter, but for most of the game.

Anchors

1. Not converting early - no harm yesterday, but gee we had the first 6 scoring shots + an OOBOTF, but only led by 16 points. Need to convert the starts better as it leaves teams with a chance.

2. Not finishing them off - really felt we should have gone on with it in the last. 3 junk time goals cost a couple of % points which could be important.