PDA

View Full Version : The Sub

Bumper Bulldogs
29-07-2024, 08:14 AM
Just thinking after the Swans game. Do we need a strategy around our best sub.

I?m not sure we have nailed this and my view is it needs to be a midfielder. I don?t see young kids coming of the bench and impacting the game. Daniel seemed to gravitate to the backline and struggled to make a tackle.

For mine it?s someone like MaCrae would be the best option. He has experience, big body and knows how to find the footy. Good luck and can lay tackles.

The only thing I believe we need is to make the sub at 3/4 time. Give them a chance to pick up the tempo and insert themselves into the game.

With September around the corner all games will tighten up and this could be a critical position that needs more thought put into.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2024, 09:31 AM
Tend to agree BB. I don’t think it needs to be prescriptive like when Gia was sub every week. But should we make finals and the dour fights that they can be either a line breaker or a guy like Macrae to support the mids effort is a good starting point to think about.

ledge
29-07-2024, 10:41 AM
The sub question is you don’t know who will get injured or who will have a bad game. so you don’t know to make it a tall a small or Inbetween.
It tends to be a player who has played well in the vfl but can’t fit him in the side .

Happy Days
29-07-2024, 10:48 AM
I think it needs to be a player that can immediately go into centre bounce and be impactful as other players are tiring. My preferred ones are Daniel/Macrae/Garcia.