PDA

View Full Version : The Monday Soapbox - R20

GVGjr
29-07-2024, 07:16 AM
Lets hear what what you want to get on your soapbox about for the round?

SquirrelGrip
29-07-2024, 09:14 AM
It has to be discussed - Libba's white boots!

In the post-match video with Westy in the rooms, he didn't think they made him run as fast as he anticipated, and he's definitely not going fluoro any time soon. Hopefully he'll be back in black next week.

But Libba in white boots just seemed so wrong. I'm trying to think what else would seem so wrong? Brad Hardie in a sleeveless top is the closest thing that comes to mind.

bornadog
29-07-2024, 09:20 AM

In the post-match video with Westy in the rooms, he didn't think they made him run as fast as he anticipated, and he's definitely not going fluoro any time soon. Hopefully he'll be back in black next week.

But Libba in white boots just seemed so wrong. I'm trying to think what else would seem so wrong? Brad Hardie in a sleeveless top is the closest thing that comes to mind.

Glad you brought this up. It has been a pet hate of mine for years - the multi coloured boots. For gods sake, the players are supposed to be wearing a uniform - not multi colours that don't match.

SquirrelGrip
29-07-2024, 09:41 AM
Glad you brought this up. It has been a pet hate of mine for years - the multi coloured boots. For gods sake, the players are supposed to be wearing a uniform - not multi colours that don't match.

You really are an old fuddy duddy. There are some fantastic boots going around these days and it gives players a small opportunity to be an individual. Some of those personalised hand-painted indigenous boots are exceptional.

Libba however stands out because he doesn't wear lairy boots. Otherwise would likewise standout if they suddenly went to black.

I don't think there's any football code which requires same colour boots for all their players.

Grantysghost
29-07-2024, 09:57 AM

Sanders with the socks down. I'm really a fan having them up for him :)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-07-2024, 09:57 AM

GVGjr
29-07-2024, 10:05 AM

Not sure if you noticed but there were a couple of photo's of Cody wearing different colored boots at training last week. I don't know if it was for medical or fashions reasons.

bornadog
29-07-2024, 10:26 AM
Not sure if you noticed but there were a couple of photo's of Cody wearing different colored boots at training last week. I don't know if it was for medical or fashions reasons.

No, I didn't see that.

bornadog
29-07-2024, 10:28 AM
You really are an old fuddy duddy.

Nothing to do with being an old fuddy duddy, everything to do with a uniform that everyone is expected to wear.

You want to be different that is fine -haircuts or colour your hair, or tattoos etc - boots are meant to be part of the uniform

ledge
29-07-2024, 10:29 AM
My funny soapbox is the bombers supporters giving it to Carlton fans Friday night on how feral they are to the players when they lose.
Then bombers lose and Carlton fans giving it to bomber fans how feral they are to their own players when they lose.
I know we can turn against our own at times but they go above and beyond feralism (if that’s a word) like no other fans.

comrade
29-07-2024, 10:32 AM
My funny soapbox is the bombers supporters giving it to Carlton fans Friday night on how feral they are to the players when they lose.
Then bombers lose and Carlton fans giving it to bomber fans how feral they are to their own players when they lose.
I know we can turn against our own at times but they go above and beyond feralism (if that’s a word) like no other fans.

I hate the Bombers so much, I almost enjoyed seeing the now iconic Essendon scarf toss as much as our win.

SquirrelGrip
29-07-2024, 10:39 AM
Nothing to do with being an old fuddy duddy, everything to do with a uniform that everyone is expected to wear.

You want to be different that is fine -haircuts or colour your hair, or tattoos etc - boots are meant to be part of the uniform

Boots aren't part of the official uniform. I'm not sure when clubs last provided specific boots for players to wear, if ever.

Mantis
29-07-2024, 11:09 AM

So our players should wear red, white & blue boots?

No use wearing black as it doesn't match our kit.

chef
29-07-2024, 11:19 AM

When have they ever been part of the uniform?

Happy Days
29-07-2024, 11:20 AM
I hate the Bombers so much, I almost enjoyed seeing the now iconic Essendon scarf toss as much as our win.

Two horse race for psycho fan of the year now, between Essendon scarf toss guy and Roos cheer squad guy flipping 10 birds in 5 seconds.

Happy Days
29-07-2024, 11:25 AM
My soapbox is I am already so unbelievably sick of “DAE 2016 vibes???” from seemingly every football person with microphone access. We’ve done other good shit in 100 years, we’ve had other good seasons and we’re defined by so much more as a club.

Plus it really reduces the magnitude of what we actually achieved in 2016 to just assume that it’s doable any time we string 2-3 wins together.

comrade
29-07-2024, 11:55 AM
My soapbox is I am already so unbelievably sick of “DAE 2016 vibes???” from seemingly every football person with microphone access. We’ve done other good shit in 100 years, we’ve had other good seasons and we’re defined by so much more as a club.

Plus it really reduces the magnitude of what we actually achieved in 2016 to just assume that it’s doable any time we string 2-3 wins together.

Yeah, this is nothing like 2016. That was the ultimate underdog story of the century and will NEVER be repeated, even if Hawthorn somehow pulls off a flag this year (they won't).

jeemak
29-07-2024, 12:46 PM
What does DAE stand for?

Also our 2016 season saw us win 15 dames to finish seventh, which is usually enough to be top four. Additionally, when we weren't having to cover for injuries at the start of the year and subsequently when we got many back for finals we were easily in the top couple of sides.

Hawthorn and the Bulldogs have both been slow builds this year.

Happy Days
29-07-2024, 01:08 PM
What does DAE stand for?

Also our 2016 season saw us win 15 dames to finish seventh, which is usually enough to be top four. Additionally, when we weren't having to cover for injuries at the start of the year and subsequently when we got many back for finals we were easily in the top couple of sides.

Hawthorn and the Bulldogs have both been slow builds this year.

Does Anyone Else - you’ve gotta spend more time on the worst parts of the internet homie.

jeemak
29-07-2024, 01:12 PM
Does Anyone Else - you’ve gotta spend more time on the worst parts of the internet homie.

I've tended not to ask that question a lot anyway. I just assume everyone thinks like I do.

Sedat
29-07-2024, 01:58 PM

I know everyone has forgotten 2021 existed, but for 3 matches and 2.5 quarters there hasn't been a better finals series by any team in history. Crazy travel schedule, being locked up like criminals in our hotel rooms in between games, in hindsight it was ridiculous that we gave ourselves a big look with 40 minutes of the season left.

Mofra
29-07-2024, 03:39 PM
Monday soapbox - Essendon will extend their finals win drought this year. I find it amusing

SquirrelGrip
29-07-2024, 03:48 PM
Monday soapbox - Essendon will extend their finals win drought this year. I find it amusing

They are up to 7,268 days since they won a final. Definitely will crack 7,500 now.

GVGjr
29-07-2024, 05:03 PM

I don't know him much longer we can deny them a finals berth but surely we can milk another year or two. :)

azabob
29-07-2024, 06:52 PM

Or did Liberatore forget his boots?

bornadog
30-07-2024, 09:35 AM
Some great boots :D

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GTsStb7aAAAn2V7?format=jpg&name=medium

josie
30-07-2024, 05:36 PM
That horrible noise played after Swan?s kicked a goal, thank goodness they didn?t kick many. Who are the idiots who have to shove lights, noise and entertainment down our throats before, during and after games? The game should be good enough without their rubbish.

It was possibly even worse than bummers air raid siren. Upon reflection maybe not.

bornadog
30-07-2024, 05:39 PM
That horrible noise played after Swan?s kicked a goal, thank goodness they didn?t kick many. Who are the idiots who have to shove lights, noise and entertainment down our throats before, during and after games? The game should be good enough without their rubbish.

It was possibly even worse than bummers air raid siren. Upon reflection maybe not.

Funny I don't remember the songs blaring after the first couple of goals, then they started. I hope we don't start doing that.

Axe Man
30-07-2024, 05:59 PM

The stupid Da-da-da-da-da thing they play on the Gold Coast after a goal was infuriating when I saw a game there more than 10 years ago and I still hear it on TV.

Critter
30-07-2024, 06:27 PM
I believe we have, playing for us, the two best footballers in the AFL. Number one is Marcus Bontempelli and number two is Ed Richards. Richards is remarkable. He has Bontempelliesque skills but, additionally, he has PACE. Real pace.

And, psst, he can kick.

If you?re puzzling, as I have, why we improved so much after early rounds, then look at Richards. The guy generates play. In match-sim early this year he showed how good a midfielder he could be. ( No, his move to the midfield wasn?t a reaction, yes, it was trialled, and, yes, we stored it in the back pocket for a rainy day.)

If you?re a forward, you?re confident to lead immediately because you can depend upon him. If you?re a defender, like Dale or Bramble, you can run off him because you know that, defensively, he?s elite and won?t cough up the ball.

Protect him Doggies, lock him into a multi-year contract, he is a unicorn.