PDA

View Full Version : 3 things learned from Rd 21 vs Melbourne 2024

GVGjr
01-08-2024, 04:16 PM
Please list the 3 things learned from our game against Melbourne.

bulldogtragic
02-08-2024, 10:42 PM
1. We are smashing good teams with just 40% goal kicking accuracy. Just get it to even 50% and watch out.
2. Barrass would make us unstoppable playing like this. A mega upgrade on Coffield.
3. I love beating them up

westdog54
02-08-2024, 11:03 PM
1. Darcy should be our first ruck.
2. Garcia is doing a nice apprenticeship under Libba.
3. This team is more balanced and talented than our premiership team.

ledge
02-08-2024, 11:19 PM
1 Jamarra will destroy teams in the future
2 English isn’t going anywhere
3 Kane Cornes next article will be why haven’t we signed Bevo longer.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-08-2024, 11:28 PM
1 VDM is not getting anywhre near enough love for what he's doing. He is gut running, and drawing the defender away to the side of the ground creating space for our forwards to run into. We often lament lack of forward connection, but he's one of the reason's why we're getting lots of shots on goals. He's owning the most important statless role right now on field (with some hyperbole mayo on top for winners sake here)

2. BT might need to get working on how best we utilise the currency on Smith to Geelong outside of Barass because not only are the Hawks looking more likely to land him, based on what Rory's done this past month, and Buku, I'm not sure we need to really spend the capital on a Barrass type now? I'm not saying we don't need some more defensive cover, but Rory, Jones, Buku, and then O'Donnell and hopefully increasingly Busslinger and maybe Croft in time.

3. Beveridge is coaching as well as ever, and the versatility of the squad, coupled with their predictability to one another is really allowing the coaching team to play their style. The turnover game is just huge, and our movement by hands, might make some old purist fuddy-duddies tut-tut, but it absolutely broke Melbourne's defensive set up apart tonight.

hujsh
02-08-2024, 11:28 PM
1. Darcy should be our first ruck.
3. This team is more balanced and talented than our premiership team.

Mainly in getting under the skin of opposition players

bulldogtragic
02-08-2024, 11:31 PM
If anything, tonight for me shows just how amazing we could be with Barrass next year and going ahead.

I don’t get why he wants to play on Naughton, Marra or Darcy (at Hawks) when he could be playing on Chol or a one leg Gunston.

meenies
02-08-2024, 11:33 PM
Someone picked up last week that West starts some centre bounces from backline. Happened again a lot tonight. Also Richards. And the winger on city side frequently near the back of the square. Loooked like they were ready for Malebourne to break out the front as they usually do against us.

Mofra
02-08-2024, 11:35 PM
1. Even in a smashing, I have concerns at how we defend opposition small forwards
2. Garcia & VDM make us better. The whole > the sum of our parts when guys like that play
3. Lobb's groundball game is outstanding for his size

Grantysghost
02-08-2024, 11:46 PM
Someone picked up last week that West starts some centre bounces from backline. Happened again a lot tonight. Also Richards. And the winger on city side frequently near the back of the square. Loooked like they were ready for Malebourne to break out the front as they usually do against us.
Yep it was definitely a defensive move for that winger to sweep the back of the centre for us with the mid playing HB coming through as well who can pivot either way.
We gave it up about 5 mins in to last.

Langdon chose not to man up on it.

I like the tactic. Some left field thinking.

comrade
02-08-2024, 11:51 PM
1. We?ve learnt our lessons in getting torched out the front of stoppage. It?s like a wall now.

2. Poulter might be very good.

3. Would love our pressure forward to be better finishers but beggars can?t be choosers.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-08-2024, 12:07 AM
Someone tell me what the hell is going on?

I've been away since the dreadful port loss and somehow we've beaten blues, cats, Swans and dees in succession. Should I not come home?

Is Lobb in defence a magic pill?

AshMac
03-08-2024, 12:28 AM
1. We are playing as a team. Sharing the load and able to maintain intensity for longer as the many carry the burden

2. Our scoring is a joke. 3 weeks in a row now with absolutely dominant in field performances

3. We owed them a thrashing

bornadog
03-08-2024, 12:42 AM
1. Our defense has been outstanding. I saw a stat we have only conceded 23 goals in 3 games

2. Our pressure has gone up incredibly over the past 4 weeks.

3. Port game was a wake up call to work harder and you are rewarded

The Bulldogs Bite
03-08-2024, 01:05 AM
1. Lobb could be an AA CHB. Not even joking.

2. Still think we're carrying a few too many weaker links than what is ideal. Coffield, Khamis, McNeil and Vandermeer have their challenges. It's probably more noticeable because 2 & 2 play similar positions and roles. It's a shame Arty or Clarke haven't put themselves in the frame, but I think we should move to a JOD/Freijah combo over Coffield/Khamis.

3. Poulter seems to understand his role well and is becoming a solid fit. It makes such a difference when you get roleplayers like this consistently contribute. Makes some errors at times but he's been finding the ball since coming back in.

Extra - I knew it already but Garcia just has to play every week. Built for finals and big games too. He isn't perfect but I just love his combativeness.

Bumper Bulldogs
03-08-2024, 09:19 AM
3. We honestly do not need Smith. Trade him and get as much as possible. Great player but totally selfish and hasn?t brought into the team first application.

2. Sam Power needs a pay increase great job selecting these guys, even the recycled players have been enormous

1. Last years review. Bearing fruit right now. The coaches seem to be one unit and have total buy in from the group.

DOG GOD
03-08-2024, 10:38 AM
1. Our backs HUNT the ball. The run of Dale and Bramble in particular has been outstanding.

2. Everyone is onboard with this TEAM first approach. You can see it in their faces, their mindset and their celebrations with eachother

3. Bont is playing out of his skin and will probably come 4th in the Brownlow. (Daicos, Neale, Cripps)

azabob
03-08-2024, 10:45 AM
1. That first fifteen minutes of the game bar our conversion was the best we have played all season

2. Our three key forwards are now working for each other. There is enough cream for all of them. Naughton is the run all day, crash and bash, Marra is the silk and Darcy is literally the stand and deliver. As an aside, Darcy ability to mark and quickly play on with a chip kick and hit the target is extraordinary for a player in general let alone one his size.

3. I love watching Jamarra come from now where and take marks. The way he ?floats? is truly a sight to behold.

4. Is Richards the most balanced player on his feet at our club? His ability to stay upright in the contested pack situation and break free with pace is a beautiful site.

GVGjr
03-08-2024, 10:46 AM
1. Our backs HUNT the ball. The run of Dale and Bramble in particular has been outstanding.

2. Everyone is onboard with this TEAM first approach. You can see it in their faces, their mindset and their celebrations with eachother

3. Bont is playing out of his skin and will probably come 4th in the Brownlow. (Daicos, Neale, Cripps)

I looked at some heat maps for Dale and Bramble and they really covered the ground last night. They were real drivers of that win.

lemmon
03-08-2024, 11:07 AM
1. Darcy loves the ruck

He had a real drive when he went in there last night - either to dominate Van Rooyen or take it up to Gawn. If English goes, Darcy might have a thing or two to say about who should be leading our ruck brigade.

Can we clone him? I don't think there's a better high-ball marker in the league. That mark he took from the Mara miskick - with the ball spinning the wrong way and his arms stretched above his head was beautiful.

2. Marra's the man

I think he knows it's his forward line now. Naughton's playing a terrific running, contested role, but Marra is the guy we're looking to put score on the board. He has the responsibility so really needs to clean up his kicking.

3. Team fitness is so much better than last year

We've had a tough stretch and we're still running over the top of the ground. It felt like the Dees couldn't go with our run and spread last night. Have to give a huge amount of credit to the change we made in the strength and conditioning department.

Hot_Doggies
03-08-2024, 12:00 PM
- Duryea?s on field coaching can?t be underestimated. It?s amplified when he is spare man and doesn?t have to worry about a direct opponent.

-Not sure about Coffield. I think Friejah would give us more.

- English would benefit from developing a ?stock? kick. Either a draw or fade. His kicks always seem to go dead straight but never start on line.

macca
03-08-2024, 01:09 PM
HD , i am not convinced on Coffield's disposal. He just coughs it up to many times. Can take a mark , but not sure what else he presents? I see Freijh taking over his role sooner than later. Especially once he gets the strength in his body after another preseason.

Jeanette54
03-08-2024, 01:38 PM

He plays like the apprenticeship is under Tony, not Tom. He and Vanders seem to regularly live rent free in the minds of the opposition.

mighty_west
03-08-2024, 02:03 PM
1. Our overall game style has improved immensely over the past 4-6 weeks, the pressure acts, the defensive set up, the ability to cover the ground, this is what the best teams do, this is what Premiership teams do, maybe Cornes was right all along that we have a stacked list but maybe the players weren't playing for Bevo, they're certainly playing for him now!

2. Sign Timmy up now, i've been on the fence but he does make us a lot stronger and his best is good.

3. Clean up the goal kicking yips to let the good times roll!

Happy Days
03-08-2024, 03:37 PM
1. Congratulations to the Footscray Football Club on becoming linear 2021 Premiers.

2. What on earth happened to Melbourne? Their midfield was uncompetitive the entire night, their forward line is dismal and was actually made to look a lot better than they performed by some unsustainable accuracy, and I’ve never seen so many players whinge after taking contact. Tom McDonald and Oliver shouldn’t play AFL again this year based on their “efforts” last night. I knew they were largely a spent force but didn’t fully appreciate the scope of it until seeing it in person.

3. I’m convinced on Lobb but we aren’t out of the woods with Buku yet. Some of those bad body position habits crept back in last night and Fritsch kinda cooked him.

jazzadogs
03-08-2024, 03:44 PM
1. Lobb could be an AA CHB. Not even joking.

2. Still think we're carrying a few too many weaker links than what is ideal. Coffield, Khamis, McNeil and Vandermeer have their challenges. It's probably more noticeable because 2 & 2 play similar positions and roles. It's a shame Arty or Clarke haven't put themselves in the frame, but I think we should move to a JOD/Freijah combo over Coffield/Khamis.

3. Poulter seems to understand his role well and is becoming a solid fit. It makes such a difference when you get roleplayers like this consistently contribute. Makes some errors at times but he's been finding the ball since coming back in.

Extra - I knew it already but Garcia just has to play every week. Built for finals and big games too. He isn't perfect but I just love his combativeness.

Interesting on Garcia. Lots of people complimenting his game, and I did love the defensive aspects of it...

But I actually think his lack of composure with ball in hand and questionable disposal could be a real problem for us in finals. He seems to give away a lot of free kicks. I'm not as big on his game as others.

westdog54
03-08-2024, 04:07 PM
Interesting on Garcia. Lots of people complimenting his game, and I did love the defensive aspects of it...

But I actually think his lack of composure with ball in hand and questionable disposal could be a real problem for us in finals. He seems to give away a lot of free kicks. I'm not as big on his game as others.

My biggest question mark on him right now is his discipline, both in terms of decision making and attack on the contest. He can give away silly frees on both areas.

That being said, I thought he was excellent last night and the needling of Oliver was a cherry on top.

azabob
03-08-2024, 04:12 PM

Live at the ground my views are similar to yours.

I still think it is between one of Garcia and Sanders and Macrae is competing with Daniel.

Uninformed
03-08-2024, 05:06 PM

That was my impression on Garcia as well. Like his speed, aggression and evasiveness, but he rarely seems to dispose in a way that advantages the team.

bornadog
03-08-2024, 05:23 PM
Live at the ground my views are similar to yours.

I still think it is between one of Garcia and Sanders and Macrae is competing with Daniel.

Yes I agree, I am not sold on him yet, but he does have something there.

D Mitchell
03-08-2024, 06:47 PM
1. Bont does what he wants and when he wants. Unique, in the true meaning of the word.
2. Work rate when not in possession must be the priority preached by the coaching staff, now.
3. Ugle-Hagan is reading my posts.

l

westbulldog
03-08-2024, 08:20 PM
1. Joel Frejiah needs to be a permanent fixture.
2. I hope I am wrong but time seems to have passed by Caleb Daniel and I am still not sold on Buku.
3. The contributions of Jones and Lobb have been very important.

Dry Rot
04-08-2024, 07:52 PM
1. First time I've had the recent pleasure of watching us play and seeing Lobb in the backline. He is surprisingly good.

2. I have not seen much of Melbourne this season and was surprised just how bad they were. Not even Hunter and Shache can save their season now

3. Current versions of Bramble and Poulter really add to the team.

Scorlibo
05-08-2024, 12:09 AM
1. We are very close to fielding our best side, in their best positions.

We've all had doubts over some of the fringe members of the team but in recent times they've locked down their roles, vindicating the faith of the coaching staff to persist with those roles. Bramble has had an incredible month, seems to have picked up the pace of the level and has that fraction more time to avoid trouble. Vandermeer and McNeil I wouldn't dare drop either of them the way they're herding the opposition's playmakers. Poulter is a natural on the wing, gives us pace, long kicking and aerial ability. Obviously Lobb's transformation is spectacular. Not to mention that with Marra finding form our tall forward setup (Naughton up the ground, Darcy being a skinny brute part timer, JUH as the primary target inside fifty) suddenly looks perfect. The only tweak I'd go for is Freijah or Cleary to come into the side to replace Coffield.

2. Cog Bont is best Bont

By cog I mean one cog in the machine, instead of trying to be the machine himself. There are times when he's done it all and we love him for it, but to me he's best when he doesn't feel the need to do so, and can trust in his teammates. He's so damaging simply with his spatial awareness and presence of mind. A clean gather, quick handball or a tap-on, that's best Bont. I also really like how often cog Bont marked and gave the handball off to a running player on Friday, where machine Bont would have wheeled and taken the kick himself.

3. This season is a strange new world

Winning feels fantastic and of course we're all booking grand final tickets. BUT does anyone remember getting belted by Port Adelaide? What was that? Sydney the clear number one seed all year met the same fate on the weekend. Essendon lost by 9 goals last week to a side that was beaten this week by 13 goals, and yet they toppled Fremantle. This year is not just even, it's erratic. The whole team preparation needs to be 100% there otherwise anyone can get rolled by anyone. Winning our last three looks very doable right now, but it would be a mighty achievement.

AshMac
05-08-2024, 08:56 AM
3. Team fitness is so much better than last year

We've had a tough stretch and we're still running over the top of the ground. It felt like the Dees couldn't go with our run and spread last night. Have to give a huge amount of credit to the change we made in the strength and conditioning department.

This is spot on - we look the fittest we?ve been all year and it?s the pointy end.

GWS rampaged home last year and we took their fitness coach in the off-season. At the game on Friday I wondered at 1/4 time if we could maintain the intensity and hang on after a 5 day break and we did.