PDA

View Full Version : EJ Whitten Social Club Grand Final Ticket

Warrnambulldog
06-08-2024, 10:49 PM
Hi guys, apologies if its already been brought up, but did anyone else get a text regarding upgrading their membership to guarantee a grand final ticket? Just making sure I?m not being scammed and it?s legit

hujsh
06-08-2024, 11:08 PM
Hi guys, apologies if its already been brought up, but did anyone else get a text regarding upgrading their membership to guarantee a grand final ticket? Just making sure I?m not being scammed and it?s legit

I did get the same text so odds are it's probably legit but I can't say I looked into it too deeply

bornadog
06-08-2024, 11:51 PM
Probably because the AFL is giving out more tickets to club members for the GF, they now have extra allocation

Warrnambulldog
06-08-2024, 11:53 PM
Signed up. See you there grand final day guys (crazy face emoji)

NoseBleed
07-08-2024, 01:42 AM
My wife (who isn't a SC member) got the same test.

I get the Sh#ts when I see those messages from the club.

I'm in my 40th straight year as a continuous Member and Social Club member (ever since I turned 28). My Dad is somwhere north of 59 years.

Back in the either early 2000's or late 90's, when the club was going through one of it's bigger dips in performance, they offered Social Club members the renewal incentive to be come "Foundation Members". The incentive was that for as long as youn remained a continuous Social Club member, you'd be eligable for not just a tick to the Granny if we ever got there, but guaranteed a seat.

For the next few years our physical ticket (remember them?), listed out status as "Foundation Member".

About 5 or 6 years later, our tickets arrived with the status "Social Club Member". A few of our family rang the club, worried that we'd been shafted. We we're all reassured that we we're all still recorded as "Foundation Member" and that we would forever be granted our right to a GF seat when the magical day came.

About 2010, the club came out with a new Membership Tier, the "Charles Sutton Club". This Guaranteed members a Grand Final Seat should be be playing, for a fee.

I rang to protest, got fobbed off. I wrote and protested, got fobbed off. I wrote to the President, got set to the membership department, got invited to come in and discuss it, then got fobbed off because no one was ever available.

This year, a guaranteed seat at a potential granny is available to any member for $235.

They'll go ahead of my Dad and I who've been social club members for 40 and 59+ years, and who stayed members through the shitty years when the club offered "Foundation Memberships" then quiety walked away from their promise, and sold out for cash.

I'm a rusted on member. I've seen worse. But this was my 40th straight year of paying membership plus social club. My reward this for ponying up membership plus SC in my 40th year was a Digital Membership car to get me into games. Nothing to get me into the SC, no scarf or hat, no SC pin or card.

The club does a shithouse job of looking after its members.

NoseBleed
07-08-2024, 01:47 AM
Dammit.

Edits,
18, not 28. ticket, not tick, sent not set, and this year, not just this, car = card,

Shouldn't type grumpy!

jeemak
07-08-2024, 02:02 AM
If you want to get let down by something NB, love it early, and commit to it unconditionally.

azabob
07-08-2024, 08:27 AM
If you want to get let down by something NB, love it early, and commit to it unconditionally.

Damn, the wisest words you have ever uttered on this forum...

Axe Man
07-08-2024, 10:32 AM
I'm surprised the Social Club isn't already full. Those still without a guaranteed grand final ticket are fortunate they can still secure the rights at this late stage of the season for a relatively small cost. You would be no chance at most other clubs who have waiting lists and are able to charge much more for the privilege.

I'm hoping my social club membership pays off for a second time this year as the club stopped providing any other benefits long ago (remember social club speakers and the Xmas party?). Or at the very least a final in Melbourne for the first time since 2016 would be nice!

GVGjr
07-08-2024, 10:48 AM
I'm surprised the Social Club isn't already full. Those still without a guaranteed grand final ticket are fortunate they can still secure the rights at this late stage of the season for a relatively small cost. You would be no chance at most other clubs who have waiting lists and are able to charge much more for the privilege.

I'm hoping my social club membership pays off for a second time this year as the club stopped providing any other benefits long ago (remember social club speakers and the Xmas party?). Or at the very least a final in Melbourne for the first time since 2016 would be nice!

Agreed, It's staggering that the social club hasn't already maxed out.

mjp
07-08-2024, 02:12 PM
Agreed, It's staggering that the social club hasn't already maxed out.

I pay mine every year but - let's be truthful - if you are purchasing the SC option you are basically doing that to get a GF ticket. If people didn't want to pay extra for something that last November when renewals came around seemed pretty unlikely, well - I get that. It wasn't that long ago that a lot of our supporters were screaming at the players and coaching staff about perceptions of performance.

Cyberdoggie
07-08-2024, 04:41 PM
It's a bit like private health insurance, you could pay for it for years and never use it, others may need it after 12 months.

Flamethrower
07-08-2024, 05:17 PM
I have been a social club member ever since I dropped my full AFL membership to ensure that I still had access to the Grand Final if we made it. Was very thankful that I did in 2016.

Just signed up my daughter as an EJ Whitten member as well so we can go together if we make it again.

1eyedog
08-08-2024, 02:18 PM
I did the same thing this morning (signed up my Daughter to Social Club level that is).

I was amazed given our form that Social Club add ons haven't been exhausted. Her add on cost me $90.00 and now we're both guaranteed GF tickets.

mjp
08-08-2024, 02:36 PM
It's a bit like private health insurance, you could pay for it for years and never use it, others may need it after 12 months.

Hey - a CD sighting!

Welcome back mate!

The Adelaide Connection
09-08-2024, 02:33 AM
I did the same thing this morning (signed up my Daughter to Social Club level that is).

I was amazed given our form that Social Club add ons haven't been exhausted. Her add on cost me $90.00 and now we're both guaranteed GF tickets.

I was thinking that the extra competing club allocation (500 each) the reason that there is now space?

bornadog
09-08-2024, 10:17 AM
I was thinking that the extra competing club allocation (500 each) the reason that there is now space?

Yeah, that is what I said and thought.