PDA

View Full Version : Flat Track Bully since 2022: Charlie Curnow

mjp
13-08-2024, 02:28 PM
I know Carlton are in trouble now Curnow is out and all...but over the last couple of seasons I would really challenge people to assess his ACTUAL impact on games. Since his honestly outstanding 2022 season when he kicked goals every week, here are the teams he has kicked 4 or more against:

2023:
Geelong (Round 2 post Premiership)
North
West Coast (lol - 19 in two games...that's the COLEMAN right there!!!)
Collingwood - FAIR ENOUGH!!
Gold Coast

2024:
Brisbane (during their losing streak)
North (twice)
Adelaide (bottom)
Gold Coast (nuff said)
Geelong (during their losing streak)

I know, I know - we would all be happy to have him etc. But his reputation in recent times has been built based on his performances vs the bottom sides on the ladder...and if you want to know why Carlton have fallen down the ladder, point the finger at Charlie and his running mate.

Bring this back to the Dogs.

- Aaron and Jamarra need to deliver over the next couple of weeks - marks inside 50, score involvements and YES - Actual GOALS. If they want to want to be the man, then they have to BE the man.

Bulldog Joe
13-08-2024, 06:43 PM
Isn't there an element of most players getting the best results against poorer opponents.

Jamarra did give great results over that 3 week spell that really counted, but he needs to continue to perform.

Not sure what was wrong with Naughton against Adelaide but there was no creating the outlet up the wing that he had been so good at over the previous month.

Carlton can glorify themselves with Colemans and Brownlows, I want us in the finals and winning 4 of them.

mjp
13-08-2024, 07:25 PM
Isn't there an element of most players getting the best results against poorer opponents.

...which is why recent retiree Martin is so revered. Best games in big games.

Curnow winning a Coleman off the back of 19-goals vs West Coast will be lost to history...but those of us who were there should never forget it. Nor that in a critical final against the Lions he scored 1-goal.

Everyone LOVES Charlie...but has he really earned it?

At the same time, Jamarra and Aaron need to stand up.

bornadog
13-08-2024, 08:01 PM
Never showed anything in finals. In the 2023 three finals Carlton were involved in, he kicked one in each.

Mofra
13-08-2024, 10:06 PM
Classic "peak" player where they are judged on their absolute best, ignoring the fact he so rarely hits that mark.

I'm still adamant that Nick Larkey is grossly underrated and the best KPF over the 2023-24 period. Jesse Hogan very good as well.

Go_Dogs
16-08-2024, 09:58 AM
You’re ultimately judged by what you produce and he’s kicked more goals than anyone over the period. Yes a lot of that has been helped by large hauls against middling and poor opponents, but if Marra kicked 19 goals against North in a season, we wouldn’t be discounting his goal tally. Still an incredible effort.

Where he has failed to produce is in the big moments. It’s a fair criticism. It will hurt his reputation if he never rectifies it.

hujsh
16-08-2024, 10:04 AM
You’re ultimately judged by what you produce and he’s kicked more goals than anyone over the period. Yes a lot of that has been helped by large hauls against middling and poor opponents, but if Marra kicked 19 goals against North in a season, we wouldn’t be discounting his goal tally. Still an incredible effort.

Where he has failed to produce is in the big moments. It’s a fair criticism. It will hurt his reputation if he never rectifies it.

Now if it was Josh Bruce on the other hand...

mjp
16-08-2024, 11:56 AM

Wanna bet?

Happy Days
16-08-2024, 12:43 PM
Wanna bet?

If Jamarra ends up with 19 goals against North this season he will have kicked 16 in this upcoming game.

Personally I’d be pretty stoked with that.

mjp
16-08-2024, 02:47 PM
If Jamarra ends up with 19 goals against North this season he will have kicked 16 in this upcoming game.

Personally I’d be pretty stoked with that.

My care factor would be really low. Kicking goals in 100+ point wins - and that's what it would be if he kicked 16 - does not excite me at all. Kicking 4+ against the Giants in Ballarat this week? That would be pretty meaningful.

We needed him last week.

Happy Days
16-08-2024, 03:15 PM
My care factor would be really low. Kicking goals in 100+ point wins - and that's what it would be if he kicked 16 - does not excite me at all. Kicking 4+ against the Giants in Ballarat this week? That would be pretty meaningful.

We needed him last week.

You wouldn’t be excited if a player kicked the literal most ever goals in a single game for the club? Not even a little bit?

azabob
16-08-2024, 03:42 PM
You wouldn’t be excited if a player kicked the literal most ever goals in a single game for the club? Not even a little bit?

I am getting John Longmire vibes from mjp when Longmire dragged Amarty who had kicked nine goals against the crows earlier this year.

mjp
16-08-2024, 09:00 PM

I could not give a rats how many one player kicks.

I could not care who wins the B&F, who wins the Brownlow etc.

Winning players are winning players - and they walk away from the game as winners. It's why Dunstall is a better forward than Lockett and Ablett - he has 4x premierships and repeatedly delivered. And yep, I know that Gazza kicked 9-goals in the 1989 GF...but he kicked ZERO in 1995 as Carlton stomped them, 3 in 92 (vs West Coast in a really poor game versus Worsfold who was not in his class) and had just 3x kicks for 1-goal as WC cruised to victory in 94.

And to reiterate, I was not impressed when Josh Bruce kicked 10-goals vs North a few years back.

jeemak
17-08-2024, 12:31 AM

We needed him last week.

MJP is Robert Smith.

jeemak
17-08-2024, 12:35 AM
I could not give a rats how many one player kicks.

I could not care who wins the B&F, who wins the Brownlow etc.

Winning players are winning players - and they walk away from the game as winners. It's why Dunstall is a better forward than Lockett and Ablett - he has 4x premierships and repeatedly delivered. And yep, I know that Gazza kicked 9-goals in the 1989 GF...but he kicked ZERO in 1995 as Carlton stomped them, 3 in 92 (vs West Coast in a really poor game versus Worsfold who was not in his class) and had just 3x kicks for 1-goal as WC cruised to victory in 94.

And to reiterate, I was not impressed when Josh Bruce kicked 10-goals vs North a few years back.

Does the same apply to Luke Hodge among his peers? I know it's not the point of the thread, given it's forward related, but success in finals and premierships has come into it and I really don't know how I feel about the same being applied to Hodge.

mjp
17-08-2024, 09:15 AM
Does the same apply to Luke Hodge among his peers? I know it's not the point of the thread, given it's forward related, but success in finals and premierships has come into it and I really don't know how I feel about the same being applied to Hodge.

If the question is "Should Hodge be lauded as a generational leader/big game performer" then I'm pretty sure the answer is "YES". I have clips of Hodge however long it is post retirement I still use in player education now. In one, he chases Robbie Gray - clearly not his man in the clip but Jordan Lewis' responsibility - from one end of the ground to the other (they are going full speed) and old-man Hodge could barely keep up but he kept driving away and impacted the contest in the opposite goal-square. A stoppage results - Gray has hands on knees and is justifiably 'stuffed' - Hodge talks to his team-mates, steps back into position adjacent to Gray and puts his arm across...ball goes up, he "guides" Gray into the contest, sharks the clearance and hits up a little 20m kick in D50 (under pressure) to retain the footy for Hawthorn. This happens at Adelaide Oval in (I think) 2014.

The other clip is when he was even older and with Brisbane, playing permanent half-back. He receives the footy and under not much pressure kicks it oob on the full...no visible reaction - finds his oppo, points out a couple of spares and clearly communicates to his team-mates who needs to do what - it really is pretty amazing 'team first' leadership...he is not impacted AT ALL by his own skill error...

I have no idea about Luke Hodge the bloke but he is certainly a to-be-admired football player.

Mofra
17-08-2024, 03:09 PM
4 x premiership Player, 3 x Premiership Captain, 2 x Norm Smith medalist Luke Hodge. Yeah, he went alright.

The micced up snippets of his time at Brisbane were amazing