PDA

View Full Version : The Moment: Rnd 23, 2024 vs North Melbourne

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-08-2024, 09:02 AM
The moment; the best, most courageous moment that caught your eye in this afternoon's game against North.
Was it the moment that told you 'we've got this' or 'we lost this one right here'? Or was it the moment that you went 'wow....that is crazy courage'

Was it a collection of moments or perhaps one you felt had greater significance outside of the actual game's result?.. Or maybe it was a downright gobshite game, with little to crow about...but you know, you're still down to get your post count up as you set your gaze towards your next 60,000 posts............. BAD.... who love's ya baby.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2024, 04:32 PM
Finally foaling in the second quarter. Opened the gates of hell on North.

GVGjr
18-08-2024, 05:45 PM
While not quite in the guidelines of 'the moment' but I have 2 moments that I thought were standouts.
A perfectly weighted pass from Freijah to Vandermeer that resulted in a goal.
Lobb's persistence in shaking off some significant collisions and staying out there because we needed him to.
I could easily have picked 3 or 4 of Darcy's marks and goals.

Sedat
18-08-2024, 08:49 PM
Comben getting ko'd. They were going to struggle containing our triple threat up forward in any event, but we ruthlessly exposed their tall defensive stocks when he went off.

jazzadogs
18-08-2024, 10:36 PM
Naughton giving three efforts ending with a chase down tackle, with four minutes left in the game. I always love to see efforts like that late in a walkover win.

Fingers crossed it only ended with cramp rather than a slight hamstring strain.

Grantysghost
18-08-2024, 11:32 PM
The moment Mr and Mrs Darcy met.

comrade
18-08-2024, 11:36 PM
When Naughts ragdolled the North opponent and snapped truly, sent a shiver through the Roos and they went into their shells afterwards. Was pretty smooth sailing from there.

ledge
19-08-2024, 12:00 AM
The moment Mr and Mrs Darcy met.

Grand parents parents or grand parents or parents ?

bornadog
19-08-2024, 10:16 PM
For me, the moment happened at half time.

There were many instances in the first half when we allowed North too much latitude when in transition. We left the centre corridor available to them by failing to put sufficient pressure on the ball carrier and the downfield lead. Too often, North had quick and clear passage deep into their forward line. Moreso in the first quarter and less so in the second but, generally, it was a first half issue. There seemed to be a fair bit of animated gesticulation and talking among players and I guess our effort was the subject under discussion.

Then something happened.

We came out at half time and, straight away, showed new-found intensity. We started running fast… and hard. Directly at our opponents. Similarly, we started tackling hard - much harder than in the first half. The next quarter and a half were played at an intensity I had not seen from the Doggies for a while. I was watching players come to the interchange bench and, whereas in the first half they were a little puffed, now they were knackered when they reached the bench. They were working to the max. Watching this live was great.

By placing the opposition under strong and immediate pressure, we started to cause turnovers. Every time they took possession they found a Bulldog barrelling straight at them. They started miskicking and coughing up the ball. Our backs found their task more manageable as the ball now came in more predictably. Freijah and O’Donnell came into their own and Khamis began showing a surety that is too often missing from his game. He marked what was straight forward and thumped away any ball that was likely to be in contest. Space opened up for the forwards and, from very early in the third quarter, the result was never in doubt.

If I am forced to take a guess about what it was that had happened, I believe our strategy going into this game was to run fast and attack hard from the beginning. But we failed to do so. I think the on-field talking and finger pointing was senior players demanding more. My guess is that more than a few got a bit of a rocket at half time.

If we replicate that second-half attitude and effort next week I am comfortable about us winning.

Great post from Critter which was in the wrong thread. Moving here.

westdog54
20-08-2024, 06:56 AM
Second quarter, Bont gets a centre bounce free kick. Takes five steps, hits a 40m dart that barely leaves the ground and hits Jamarra square on his chest, without him having to deviate a step from the line and speed he was leading at. It was legitimately one of the best kicks I've ever seen live.

bornadog
20-08-2024, 10:12 AM
Second quarter, Bont gets a centre bounce free kick. Takes five steps, hits a 40m dart that barely leaves the ground and hits Jamarra square on his chest, without him having to deviate a step from the line and speed he was leading at. It was legitimately one of the best kicks I've ever seen live.

My mate said, Gee, he can kick accurately like that, yet set shots he misses.

Happy Days
20-08-2024, 10:26 AM

He’s the best kick in the league by heaps we just have to pretend it’s other people so it seems fair.

The Adelaide Connection
20-08-2024, 10:56 AM

I wonder if it is time that we bring out the little targets that Melbourne fans have used for years behind the goals. Maybe Bont needs a finite target?

Bulldog Joe
20-08-2024, 12:20 PM
I wonder if it is time that we bring out the little targets that Melbourne fans have used for years behind the goals. Maybe Bont needs a finite target?

We need the goals to lead for him

westdog54
20-08-2024, 12:26 PM
We need the goals to lead for him
Or get Laith to to a perfectly timed sprint towards the 5th row of the cheer squad.

Jeanette54
20-08-2024, 03:10 PM

Given Bont consistently misses shots on goal to the left, and they are always arrow straight, then you would think a kicking coach should find the technique easy to correct.

comrade
20-08-2024, 03:20 PM

I actually don't mind this.