PDA

View Full Version : So how do we beat GWS this week?

bulldogtragic
18-08-2024, 07:34 PM
What team selections?
What tactics at Ballarat?
What specific match ups?

Mantis
18-08-2024, 07:41 PM
Given we?ve won 5 of our past 6 matches against GWS shouldn?t they be trying to figure out how to beat us?

The only loss was when we were decimated by injuries.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2024, 08:00 PM
I guess it was more of a conversation starter without trying to steer it too much.

So perhaps, last time we met they only had two goal kickers. Greene & Hogan. We could simply say ‘the same’ I guess. But I was thinking more about using Jones on Higan as he’s so important to them or can Lobb do the job and use Jones more offensively? Is Doc the guy for Greene?

Do we rush Tim back if he’s say 80%? If we play Tim do we stick with Khamis or JOD as both would be overkill.

Do we make other changes? Gags seems a little behind the pecking order to my eye, I’d prefer Sanders. But do with stick with him?

Do we stick with the same sub?

With the wind, do we prioritise run and carry, or contested players especially for the sub.

Last time we met they couldn’t control Harmes. Who can replicate that role and scoreboard impact?

They seem to like to tag. If they tag say Bont, do we move him forward more to break it or with the weather/wind is that too many talls?

These types of questions about the game.

ledge
18-08-2024, 08:06 PM
Don’t think English will play.
Big ask for Lobb again, hope he is okay.
We need Darcy down forward with Jamarra and Naughton.
GWS are very midfield relying.
Stop Daniel and they will struggle.

bornadog
18-08-2024, 08:17 PM
I don't want to see Duryea on Greene. He has beaten Doc everytime we have played them. Who takes Greene? Not sure he is a hard match up. Have to think about it

angelopetraglia
18-08-2024, 08:30 PM
Forecast is it is going to be a very windy day.

Mantis
18-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Forecast is it is going to be a very windy day.

6.23 incoming.

Rocket Science
18-08-2024, 08:36 PM
The coach has pretty much ruled English out for next week too.

So there's that.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-08-2024, 08:36 PM
Kick straight.

We'll create enough opportunities but unless our conversion improves this will be tough. They're very efficient.

kruder
18-08-2024, 08:37 PM
Ash has been suspended for 1 week.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-08-2024, 08:38 PM
Also I hate playing at Ballarat. Wish we'd just play our homes games at, you know, home.

angelopetraglia
18-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Ballarat Forecast - Sunday

Min 7 Max 19
50% chance of 0 to 3mm of rain

Partly cloudy. Medium chance of showers, most likely later in the day. Light winds becoming north to northeasterly 20 to 30 km/h during the morning.

Grantysghost
18-08-2024, 08:48 PM
Also I hate playing at Ballarat. Wish we'd just play our homes games at, you know, home.
Same. Not a fan.

mighty_west
18-08-2024, 08:52 PM
We play at our best we win, it's as simple as that.

bornadog
18-08-2024, 09:16 PM

Same. Not a fan.

I love it. Gives off old fashion suburban feel, with over 90% Dogs fans there

Grantysghost
18-08-2024, 09:29 PM
I love it. Gives off old fashion suburban feel, with over 90% Dogs fans there
I tried to get seats at 5pm after work and couldn't get two together.
All the one dollar members grabbed them...

Shit. HOLE.

Oh wait :) :)

I understand why people like it with the nostalgia side of things and the hill.

If I want that though I can go to local footy or the VFL.

Dropping two games from Marvel per year is a big stretch to the membership friendship.

jazzadogs
18-08-2024, 11:01 PM
6.23 incoming.

Maybe the wind will blow our inaccurate kicks through the goals...

comrade
18-08-2024, 11:23 PM
Maybe the wind will blow our inaccurate kicks through the goals...

And hopefully stuffs GWS around.

Like every game, this will depend on our pressure and work rate across the ground. If our mids can take control and give us possession inside our forward half, we'll be ok. We match up well on them, there is no reason we can't win. I'd love English back so Lobb can move back into the CHB role but it sounds unlikely. We just need to gut this one out and get it done.

bornadog
19-08-2024, 12:00 AM
I tried to get seats at 5pm after work and couldn't get two together.
All the one dollar members grabbed them...

I have a two game Ballarat membership with the same seat every game there - get on to it.:)

If I want that though I can go to local footy or the VFL..

and watch crap footy :D - no disrespect for local footy, I like it too, but AFL std better fun to watch.

Dropping two games from Marvel per year is a big stretch to the membership friendship.

Club membership building outside of Melbourne - all for the future of the club

Happy Days
19-08-2024, 12:29 AM
The atmosphere at Ballarat is indeed awesome but it’s an undeniable pain in the arse to get to and an annoying subsidy on my membership.

Anyway this will be a good win if we do it. The dog walking we gave them this year seems like a lifetime ago and they just aren’t losing to anyone right now.

Bigdog
19-08-2024, 01:11 AM
1 - I?m guessing GWS will play Bedford on Ed Richards. This actually seems like a good match up from their end. We need to workout how to free up ed. Bar Bont he is our most important mid (possibly player).
2 - Naughton actually got the better of Sam Taylor last time we played. He went to work at ground level and worked him high up the ground from memory. Need to stick with this approach as he could decimate us if we just bomb long all day.
3 - Briggs is going to dominate the ruck against Lobb. Lobb needs to perform like another mid to provide support at the stoppages and use his aerobic capacity to cover the ground. Briggs is hampered with a shoulder so Lobb should try and work this over.
4 - Need to put some work into Brent Daniels. If he has 30 and kicks 3 like last week we are in for a long day. Potentially Gallagher is the one to put time into him.
5 - Someone mentioned earlier that Green has got Duryea every time we have played. I think Duryea struggles aerially with Green. Unfortunately I don?t see another match up (Next year Coffield will be the man). I think JOD and Buku will really need to support Duryea.
6 - Hogan gets a lot of one on one contests as their ball movement is quick. Despite how well both Macrae and Daniel played today, I?d probably play a more powerful runner like Harmes over Daniel to keep up with their gamestyle and stifle their ball movement.

If we get 3-4 of the above right we will win. I expect us to win.

My biggest concern is there is a big wind and they get the better of it.

Grantysghost
19-08-2024, 07:11 AM
I have a two game Ballarat membership with the same seat every game there - get on to it.:)

and watch crap footy :D - no disrespect for local footy, I like it too, but AFL std better fun to watch.

Buying another membership when I invest a healthy amount is like when foxtel introduced ads! :)

Apart from the cash grab it's a terrible idea. The quality of game there due to the sub standard facility is rarely entertaining. Not to menton accessibility ; if I find it a pain to get to being able bodied then I assume it's a no go for the less fortunate from Melbourne.

One game a year I could cop, but considering we've just gone cap in hand to people I'm finding the continual dilution of my membership a little disincentivising.

Glad you like it though mate as I said I get the attraction from many.

SonofScray
19-08-2024, 08:43 AM
We don’t.

angelopetraglia
19-08-2024, 10:08 AM
So if Geelong defeat the Eagles by 10+ goals on their home deck. Which is every chance after I unforntuantely watched them play closely on Sunday.

What will GWS be playing for on Sunday? Top four locked in regardless.

If GWS lose, they will 100% play Sydney in the first week of the finals. No travel. They know the outcome if they lose.

If GWS win, they will play Port away in a final if Port wins. They play a home final against Port if Freo wins.

Do they really have an incentive to win?

bulldogsthru&thru
19-08-2024, 10:21 AM
So if Geelong defeat the Eagles by 10+ goals on their home deck. Which is every chance after I unforntuantely watched them play closely on Sunday.

What will GWS be playing for on Sunday? Top four locked in regardless.

If GWS lose, they will 100% play Sydney in the first week of the finals. No travel. They know the outcome if they lose.

If GWS win, they will play Port away in a final if Port wins. They play a home final against Port if Freo wins.

Do they really have an incentive to win?

Clutching at straws! They'll be wanting a win to have a hope of a home final.

We have to bring our best. Finals have already started for us.

comrade
19-08-2024, 10:22 AM
Both sides still hate each other and they have a chance to ruin our year. They?ll be going all out.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-08-2024, 10:22 AM
1 - I?m guessing GWS will play Bedford on Ed Richards. This actually seems like a good match up from their end. We need to workout how to free up ed. Bar Bont he is our most important mid (possibly player).
2 - Naughton actually got the better of Sam Taylor last time we played. He went to work at ground level and worked him high up the ground from memory. Need to stick with this approach as he could decimate us if we just bomb long all day.
3 - Briggs is going to dominate the ruck against Lobb. Lobb needs to perform like another mid to provide support at the stoppages and use his aerobic capacity to cover the ground. Briggs is hampered with a shoulder so Lobb should try and work this over.
4 - Need to put some work into Brent Daniels. If he has 30 and kicks 3 like last week we are in for a long day. Potentially Gallagher is the one to put time into him.
5 - Someone mentioned earlier that Green has got Duryea every time we have played. I think Duryea struggles aerially with Green. Unfortunately I don?t see another match up (Next year Coffield will be the man). I think JOD and Buku will really need to support Duryea.
6 - Hogan gets a lot of one on one contests as their ball movement is quick. Despite how well both Macrae and Daniel played today, I?d probably play a more powerful runner like Harmes over Daniel to keep up with their gamestyle and stifle their ball movement.

If we get 3-4 of the above right we will win. I expect us to win.

My biggest concern is there is a big wind and they get the better of it.

Harmes was very good against them earlier this year. I think it'd be a sensible change.

bornadog
19-08-2024, 10:25 AM
I am more confident to beat GWS in Ballarat than I was on my way to Marvel yesterday. Yesterday I was very nervous as I was thinking about last years West Coast game.

We beat GWS earlier this year when they were still up in the betting as favourites for the flag, although, they had lost the previous two to Sydney and Essendon. When you look at the stats, it was a team effort. Other than Treloar who had 35 disposals, no other player had more than 30 and in fact it was a very even contribution. We smashed them in Stoppage clearance as well as contested Possessions, but they were better in Centre clearances - an area we need to be mindful of.

We kicked 8.22, which we can't afford to do again.

Dogs by 23

angelopetraglia
19-08-2024, 10:26 AM

So win, they are a 40% chance of a home final (according to the bookies).

Lose and they are almost guarnteed a final in Sydney which is like a home final.

So lose = guarnteed Sydney final.

Win = 40% chance of a home final.

I know what route I'm taking. Conserve players. Don't take risks.

my plums
19-08-2024, 10:46 AM
There is no way they will be tanking the game. They'll be going for it.

bornadog
19-08-2024, 11:03 AM
Round 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDl27Suve5s

angelopetraglia
19-08-2024, 11:31 AM
RoCo in a column today:

"I think the Giants are probably more dependable than Brisbane or Port. But they cut it fine. Of their past seven wins in a row, five have been by three goals or less. Across the whole season, there's been nine wins by 24 points or less"

Grantysghost
19-08-2024, 11:43 AM
RoCo in a column today:

"I think the Giants are probably more dependable than Brisbane or Port. But they cut it fine. Of their past seven wins in a row, five have been by three goals or less. Across the whole season, there's been nine wins by 24 points or less"

Sounds a lot like the Pies last year except with way more talent.

Sedat
19-08-2024, 12:04 PM

Both sides still hate each other and they have a chance to ruin our year. They?ll be going all out.
Kingsley is only interested in having his team 100% primed for a finals assault, and he would absolutely rate his chances of beating Sydney in a QF and booking a home PF at Homebush. If Geelong do as they should next week - after the utter trash that West Coast served up yesterday, I'm honestly not even sure Port Adelaide's percentage is safe from Geelong - GWS will have zero incentive to push hard away from home next week, knowing that Port will be even money to finish 2nd anyway, consigning GWS to an away QF in Adelaide.

The GWS/Dogs hate is a little overrated in 2024. It has been a relatively tepid fixture for the last 2-3 years. Kingsley was too busy winning flags at Richmond at the time to care about stuff that happened over 5 years ago now.

comrade
19-08-2024, 12:05 PM
RoCo in a column today:

And have benefitted from opposition inefficiency. On the expected scores ladder, they sit 13th.

Happy Days
19-08-2024, 12:06 PM
I dunno us fumbling a 5 goal lead to pretty much just Toby Greene and beginning our descent into madness last year was pretty annoying.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-08-2024, 12:12 PM
So win, they are a 40% chance of a home final (according to the bookies).

Lose and they are almost guarnteed a final in Sydney which is like a home final.

So lose = guarnteed Sydney final.

Win = 40% chance of a home final.

I know what route I'm taking. Conserve players. Don't take risks.

I agree with your reasoning but I just can't see gws going in half cocked especially given there's a week off. There's the potential for them to have a home final if they win and Port are no certainties to win neither are Geelong a certainty to get a huge % boost.

There's too many variables.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-08-2024, 12:14 PM
I dunno us fumbling a 5 goal lead to pretty much just Toby Greene and beginning our descent into madness last year was pretty annoying.

Yeah which bulldog personality will turn up?

Even yet, will the same one play the whole game?

bornadog
19-08-2024, 12:20 PM

We have been very consistent in the last 14 games, winning 10 and losing 4, including two losses in Adelaide.

Mofra
19-08-2024, 12:26 PM

We do seem to play well for 4 weeks after an Adelaide smashing, so we have 3 more weeks left of good football (on recent trends).

I do worry about their 'smaller' forwards though. Greene is a prick but can play, Daniels quality, which Jones just doesn't let your nominated running defender (Bramble for us) get easy ball out of the D50.
They're also one team with 3 genuine tall defenders.

Sedat
19-08-2024, 12:26 PM
I agree with your reasoning but I just can't see gws going in half cocked especially given there's a week off. There's the potential for them to have a home final if they win and Port are no certainties to win neither are Geelong a certainty to get a huge % boost.

There's too many variables.
The key variables re: Geelong will already be known by Saturday.

GWS lost a PF last year (very unluckily) by 1 point. All they care about in 2024 is having the best preparation possible for the start of the finals - does going full bore in R24 help them (with a potential away QF), or would resting 1-2 players next week and having everybody 100% cherry ripe for a home state QF against an opponent in middling form give them a better chance at a premiership?

I doubt they would give 2 shits about Dogs rivalry - they want silverware.

Of course none of the above is relevant if Geelong don't smash West Coast. This game is going to be fascinating - the Cats still have some crazy chance for a home final if Port stumbled against Freo and they absolutely smash West Coast by 100 odd - it has been done before. And if that eventuated, don't think Chris Scott and the Cats won't use the media to lobby hard for their home ground shithole to be hosting Port Adelaide in the QF - that alone would motivate Port to go full throttle against Freo next week to get the W and avoid travelling to Geelong for a QF.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-08-2024, 01:03 PM
The key variables re: Geelong will already be known by Saturday.

GWS lost a PF last year (very unluckily) by 1 point. All they care about in 2024 is having the best preparation possible for the start of the finals - does going full bore in R24 help them (with a potential away QF), or would resting 1-2 players next week and having everybody 100% cherry ripe for a home state QF against an opponent in middling form give them a better chance at a premiership?

I doubt they would give 2 shits about Dogs rivalry - they want silverware.

Of course none of the above is relevant if Geelong don't smash West Coast. This game is going to be fascinating - the Cats still have some crazy chance for a home final if Port stumbled against Freo and they absolutely smash West Coast by 100 odd - it has been done before. And if that eventuated, don't think Chris Scott and the Cats won't use the media to lobby hard for their home ground shithole to be hosting Port Adelaide in the QF - that alone would motivate Port to go full throttle against Freo next week to get the W and avoid travelling to Geelong for a QF.

Never miss a chance to remind the forum of Sedat Park!

GWS will have to name their side though and they also get a week off to rest regardless. But, even a 1% change in mindset is enough these days to fall. The AFEL also wouldn't mind an all Sydney final.

GVGjr
19-08-2024, 02:23 PM
Controlling the inform Hogan and ensuring Toby doesn't run amok are the keys. Making sure Whitfield doesn't link up their backline thrusts wouldn't hurt either.

Sedat
19-08-2024, 02:27 PM
Never miss a chance to remind the forum of Sedat Park!

GWS will have to name their side though and they also get a week off to rest regardless. But, even a 1% change in mindset is enough these days to fall. The AFEL also wouldn't mind an all Sydney final.
If you're going to be a proper contender, you need to beat those around and above you. On that score, the GWS game is perfect prep for us - it will show how serious we are as a genuine contender this season (which is all I care about at the moment).

How we beat GWS is to pressure their ball movement across the ground and also win the clearance battle and get a field position advantage. And of course converting when we create our chances. The premiership runway started a few weeks ago - we need to be 'on' right now and for the rest of the season, so we may as well test ourselves against the in-form team in the competition next week.

azabob
19-08-2024, 07:43 PM
Controlling the inform Hogan and ensuring Toby doesn't run amok are the keys. Making sure Whitfield doesn't link up their backline thrusts wouldn't hurt either.

I assume Jones goes to Hogan.

GWS are very good at getting Hogan on the second or third defender.

Hopefully we are awake to this and make sure we get the right match up.

D Mitchell
19-08-2024, 08:07 PM
If English was to come back in so Lobb back and O'Donnell retained, Hogan hardly an issue, the ball would never get that far.

azabob
19-08-2024, 08:10 PM
If English was to come back in so Lobb back and O'Donnell retained, Hogan hardly an issue, the ball would never get that far.

English is not coming back this week.

Flamethrower
19-08-2024, 09:13 PM

Off topic but not sure what comp you watch but I have seen some highlights over the last few years in the WFNL and EDFL that would not look out of place at the MCG.
- Torpedo goal from the wrong side of the centre circle (went at least 80 metres).
- Miracle goal from the boundary line 40m out against a 5 goal wind.
- a couple of massive marks sitting on player's shoulders.

Overall the standard can't touch the game at the top level, but community football is often far more enjoyable than a mistake riddled game between 2 bottom AFL teams.

Back on topic, the felon (aka Toby) and the Great White Hope (aka Hogan) are the 2 guys we need to contain. Can't let the GWH match up on Buku at any stage, and we need a defender to handcuff the felon - shame we won't have English, as we could have Lobster shut out the GWH and the Jones boy take the felon.

AshMac
20-08-2024, 07:17 AM
If we?re not careful we will get exposed by hogans ability to read the flight of the ball. He is making top shelf back lines look disorganised at times.

The way we bottled up Geelong and Sydney?s midfield and choked the supply in is how we win this week IMO. They?ll look very different to the last time we played them in form and flow.

Wish it wasn?t in Ballarat

D Mitchell
20-08-2024, 09:56 AM
English is not coming back this week.
O'Donnell and Jones will just have to work harder.

The Adelaide Connection
20-08-2024, 11:59 AM
If we?re not careful we will get exposed by hogans ability to read the flight of the ball. He is making top shelf back lines look disorganised at times.

The way we bottled up Geelong and Sydney?s midfield and choked the supply in is how we win this week IMO. They?ll look very different to the last time we played them in form and flow.

Wish it wasn?t in Ballarat

The funny thing is, isn't Whitten Oval usually blowing a gale? You would think that playing in wind would be something we would view as an advantage (despite playing home games at Marvel) but I think we all fear it.

mjp
20-08-2024, 12:20 PM
GWS are playing well but their handball game is their biggest weapon and their biggest weakness. If we come forward to defend strongly - and Duryea and Jones seem to understand this as well as anyone in the league - then we will 100% be able to disrupt them, win the footy back and (if we are smart) put some scoreboard pressure on...just need to do the basics well and each player take charge of their moments.

Contest wise, obviously Briggs and Coniglio coming back in last week is huge for the orange and really changes them around the footy. The midfield battle is going to decide this one and I suspect if we let Green, Coniglio and Kelly have 85+ possessions between them things are probably NOT going well. I don't think we will see any effort by the MC to lock down on any of those players though - it will just be head to head with their best vs our best and let the chips fall where they may.

I think we MIGHT see Bedford go to half-back this week with the express purpose of shutting down Bailey Dale and I do hope we have a plan for that...half-forward is basically his (Bedford's) natural habitat so I really don't think we should let that happen...we do need Dale kicking the ball from D50 though so if the plan is to start him on a wing and then slide back (or something) then I would be in favour of that.

The Giants have the double punch of Whitfield and Perryman behind the footy and they will need attention - I think we will just let the small forwards play that role and not set 'anyone' in particular for them...whether it ends up being McNeil or VDM or West or whoever...our forward group have been doing a great job of minimising d50 runners and this is just another challenge to meet.

Forward of the ball, the Giants really have 3x key players. Hogan and Greene of course - I guess it means we go with Jones and Duryea here and just see what happens. They are our best two defenders and, well, it's not like we're over-flowing with shutdown players. Jones will need help in the air vs Hogan (of course) and that will mean JOD sliding off Cadman to help...Bramble gets Daniels and hopefully pays him a little more respect that Jordan Clarke did for the Dockers last week...he's had a slashing season though and you would expect he can get it done.

We're playing a pretty good team and ball in hand just getting the basics right, changing the angle of attack to separate the Giants defenders and make life difficult for Taylor, well...that stuff all goes without saying - they're a really good footy team and we will need to play strong, consistent footy to win.

angelopetraglia
20-08-2024, 12:22 PM
The funny thing is, isn't Whitten Oval usually blowing a gale? You would think that playing in wind would be something we would view as an advantage (despite playing home games at Marvel) but I think we all fear it.

We may be used to it, but the wind exposes any minor flaw you may have with your ball drop.

bornadog
20-08-2024, 02:16 PM
MJP, good post. I really don't like Duryea on Toby Greene. Toby is too good in the air and has beaten Taylor many times in the past. What do you think of say Bramble taking on Green and Duryea going to Jones?

comrade
20-08-2024, 02:27 PM
I know it sounds gross but I?d probably give Khamis first crack at Greene. He?s not going to get mauled like the Crows game, and I?d prefer Duryea to either peel off and get free as much as possible to help out through the D50 and/or take Daniels when he?s forward.

bornadog
20-08-2024, 02:41 PM
I know it sounds gross but I?d probably give Khamis first crack at Greene. He?s not going to get mauled like the Crows game, and I?d prefer Duryea to either peel off and get free as much as possible to help out through the D50 and/or take Daniels when he?s forward.

I thought of Buku as well, but also got frightened of the idea :D

Sedat
20-08-2024, 02:56 PM
Yes it does. Greene is one of the highest IQ footballers going around - he will take Buku to places that will hurt like hell.

mjp
20-08-2024, 06:23 PM
I really don't like Duryea on Toby Greene.

Yeah - I do get that...but to me this is a simple "Back in your Best" type setup. Duryea is our best defender - Greene is the one we need to stop. Plus, Duryea is experienced enough that if he DOES get beat, we know he will simply fight through it and move on...if he ends up on another opponent, he will remain consistent in effort and continue to provide great leadership. If another of our players was thrown the challenge and Greene got 2-3 on them early, you might lose them for the game.

Best on best = plan a. Break glass plan for me is Bailey Williams - has the physical size to really challenge Greene, runs well and knows how to win one-on-one contests. I'm not sure I want Bramble to Greene...I think he's had a great year but Brent Daniels with his up and out the back running is a much better match up.

bornadog
20-08-2024, 07:38 PM
Yeah - I do get that...but to me this is a simple "Back in your Best" type setup. Duryea is our best defender - Greene is the one we need to stop. Plus, Duryea is experienced enough that if he DOES get beat, we know he will simply fight through it and move on...if he ends up on another opponent, he will remain consistent in effort and continue to provide great leadership. If another of our players was thrown the challenge and Greene got 2-3 on them early, you might lose them for the game.

Best on best = plan a. Break glass plan for me is Bailey Williams - has the physical size to really challenge Greene, runs well and knows how to win one-on-one contests. I'm not sure I want Bramble to Greene...I think he's had a great year but Brent Daniels with his up and out the back running is a much better match up.

Toby is hard to match up on. We just have to stop the ball getting to him in the first place.

jeemak
20-08-2024, 10:37 PM

Sorry man, I just can't see it.

If we were going to try someone who can go in the air with him it would be JOD and even then I struggle to see how Toby doesn't gut punch him and get distance on him.

I know Duryea has had his issues in the past but he's the most likely to keep Greene as a known quantity, even if that means three or four. A Khamis or JOD match up stinks of six or seven to me.

comrade
20-08-2024, 11:08 PM
Sorry man, I just can't see it.

If we were going to try someone who can go in the air with him it would be JOD and even then I struggle to see how Toby doesn't gut punch him and get distance on him.

I know Duryea has had his issues in the past but he's the most likely to keep Greene as a known quantity, even if that means three or four. A Khamis or JOD match up stinks of six or seven to me.

I think we'd be very happy if we keep him to 3 goals but it all depends on what happens upfield though, doesn't it? If our mids do their job, whoever we put on Greene has a much easier day.

I'm hoping for a repeat of the Geelong game where we stifled them all game and Khamis' aggressive front positioning paid off because of it.

jeemak
20-08-2024, 11:18 PM
I think we'd be very happy if we keep him to 3 goals but it all depends on what happens upfield though, doesn't it? If our mids do their job, whoever we put on Greene has a much easier day.

I'm hoping for a repeat of the Geelong game where we stifled them all game and Khamis' aggressive front positioning paid off because of it.

That's why if Tim doesn't play I'm all in on Lobb busting a gut again rather than doing anything silly in the ruck. The importance of just doing enough in the contest and upfield will go such a long way to us succeeding.

A guard rail at the top of the cliff is a much better solution than a hospital at the bottom of it.

Rocco Jones
20-08-2024, 11:48 PM
GWS are playing well but their handball game is their biggest weapon and their biggest weakness. If we come forward to defend strongly - and Duryea and Jones seem to understand this as well as anyone in the league - then we will 100% be able to disrupt them, win the footy back

This is huge for mine.

I wanted Lobb in the ruck last week but would love to be able to play him back to help Jones and Doc with the above + Jones dealing with Hogan.

Briggs is a quality ruck but not Xerri. I'm concerned with Buku vs a clever and dynamic GWS forward line. I wonder how much of him playing in the ruck was about resting Lobb and how much was seeing how he goes for the game vs GWS if he English doesn't come up. Thought he link up work was good whilst in the ruck but a very small sample wise and the heat was well and truly out of the contest.

Bigdog
20-08-2024, 11:57 PM
This is huge for mine.

I wanted Lobb in the ruck last week but would love to be able to play him back to help Jones and Doc with the above + Jones dealing with Hogan.

Briggs is a quality ruck but not Xerri. I'm concerned with Buku vs a clever and dynamic GWS forward line. I wonder how much of him playing in the ruck was about resting Lobb and how much was seeing how he goes for the game vs GWS if he English doesn't come up. Thought he link up work was good whilst in the ruck but a very small sample wise and the heat was well and truly out of the contest.
Buku is a bit of a worry. from what I?ve seen of GWS they don?t bomb it in. There is method in how they go forward. Buku could be exposed. Potentially Coffield is the safer option.

AshMac
21-08-2024, 07:55 AM
Buku is a bit of a worry. from what I?ve seen of GWS they don?t bomb it in. There is method in how they go forward. Buku could be exposed. Potentially Coffield is the safer option.

Greene could have an absolute field day, my biggest worry would be when the ball comes in low and hard or hits the deck - either of those situations and I think he has our backline on toast.

For me Coffield has been really poor - even with some and time - he?s too big a risk I think for a team as skilful and well rounded as GWS