PDA

View Full Version : AFL Game Day R24

GVGjr
22-08-2024, 05:50 PM
Lets keep all non Bulldog discussion to this thread for the round 24 games.

Friday
Melbourne vs Collingwood

Saturday
Geelong vs West Coast
Richmond vs Gold Coast Suns
Hawthorn vs North Melbourne
Brisbane vs Essendon
Sydney vs Adelaide

Sunday
Carlton vs StKilda
Fremantle vs Port Adelaide

Bulldog Joe
22-08-2024, 06:01 PM
Lets keep all non Bulldog discussion to this thread for the round 24 games.

Friday
Melbourne vs Collingwood

Saturday
Geelong vs West Coast
Richmond vs Gold Coast Suns
Hawthorn vs North Melbourne
Brisbane vs Essendon
Sydney vs Adelaide

Sunday
Carlton vs StKilda
Fremantle vs Port Adelaide

So we only want
West Coast to defeat Geelong
North Melbourne to conjure victory over Hawthorn
Essendon to someone get the points over Brisbane

Doesn't seem too much to ask.

We can then go and enjoy the footy on Sunday with a live chance at top 4

GVGjr
22-08-2024, 09:26 PM
I'm hearing that Neale has pain killing injections for his foot before each game. Perhaps Brisbane aren't sure things this weekend

azabob
23-08-2024, 11:21 AM
Charlie Curnow has been ruled out of the match V St.Kilda this week.

comrade
23-08-2024, 11:31 AM
If I wasn?t a harbinger of doom with the kiss of death, I would say Saints are a big big chance this week. But I?m definitely not saying that.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-08-2024, 11:37 AM
If I wasn?t a harbinger of doom with the kiss of death, I would say Saints are a big big chance this week. But I?m definitely not saying that.

No you're not because relying on the saints to win is a losing battle. They should win. So they won't.

Sedat
23-08-2024, 11:47 AM
I won't have a care in the world at 3pm Sunday so long as we do what a professional contender should do and get the job done.

Cripps is Bont 2022-2023 at the moment, which is mostly bad for Carlton (even if they make finals). They are totally Cripps or bust - I don't think Ross the Boss will be giving Cripps a free ride to dominate the match like he did last week against that WAFL team.

Walsh's back is cooked, which is why he has struggled the last few weeks - when he was up and about Carlton shared the load in midfield (also TDK was flying at that point - he's been a big loss).

azabob
23-08-2024, 04:49 PM
And of course this round is adding in some chaos...

It has been confirmed that Hawks v North is now starting at 12.30pm instead of 4.40pm

Richmond v GCS is being pushed back from 2.10pm to 3.20pm

Industrial action by Tasmania's electrical workers union is threatening to spike tomorrow's crucial AFL clash at York Park.

"Recent power outages in Launceston have affected the AFL venue, and with a pay dispute ongoing, there are no guarantees TasNetworks staff would fix a possible outage tomorrow"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-08-23/afl-match-in-doubt-stadium-power-union/104261496

azabob
23-08-2024, 04:50 PM
I do feel for supporters travelling interstate, especially the Tassie game.

Likely they would be flying the morning of the game and now likely to miss it entirely.

GVGjr
23-08-2024, 05:10 PM
I do feel for supporters travelling interstate, especially the Tassie game.

Likely they would be flying the morning of the game and now likely to miss it entirely.

Yep, it's awful for the members willing to travel and it could also be a stopper from some of the locals.

ledge
23-08-2024, 09:05 PM
Well Melbourne have thrown in the towel bigtime, or is the club in as much trouble as they say ?

azabob
23-08-2024, 09:11 PM
Well Melbourne have thrown in the towel bigtime, or is the club in as much trouble as they say ?

Mate, four of their best five players are not playing.

ledge
23-08-2024, 09:15 PM
Mate, four of their best five players are not playing.

And I know one that’s out there now that tried to get out of the club last year as they told him to look around, then when he got an offer from another club they wouldn’t let him go.
A lot of pissed off players.
It’s not just players missing.

azabob
23-08-2024, 09:18 PM
And I know one that’s out there now that tried to get out of the club last year as they told him to look around, then when he got an offer from another club they wouldn’t let him go.

Fair call. You were early and right a few weeks back calling out the internal issues before the media started reporting on them.

josie
23-08-2024, 09:20 PM

If I was a Dees support I’d be furious. A lot of Dees players look like they are witches hats.

Grantysghost
23-08-2024, 09:26 PM
But they flogged the Suns last week so can't be that.

ledge
23-08-2024, 09:34 PM
Wouldn’t we kill for Pickett he is just so reliable in front of goal and his football nous is incredible.

azabob
23-08-2024, 09:53 PM
Wouldn’t we kill for Pickett he is just so reliable in front of goal and his football nous is incredible.

Nah not me. Could not stomach it.

Rocket Science
23-08-2024, 10:19 PM
Pickett's an outstanding talent but a colossal wanker who just earned himself a holiday for targeting an opponent's head, again.

ledge
23-08-2024, 10:50 PM
Pickett's an outstanding talent but a colossal wanker who just earned himself a holiday for targeting an opponent's head, again.

Be surprised if he gets reported Moore slid in and went low.
No way could Pickett do anything about it.

Hotdog60
23-08-2024, 11:16 PM
Pickett is a sniper and if you choose to bump there should be 3 weeks in that. If he knocked Moore out would it be in line with Houston.

GVGjr
23-08-2024, 11:28 PM
Really interesting these delays for potential lightning.
Given both teams are out of contention for finals why would anyone in the crowd gut it out and stock around?

EasternWest
23-08-2024, 11:31 PM
Be surprised if he gets reported Moore slid in and went low.
No way could Pickett do anything about it.

He could go for the f@#king ball.

I've had it with apologists for this piece of crap.

Axe Man
24-08-2024, 02:02 AM
I dislike Pickett as much as anyone but he absolutely went into that contest expecting shoulder to shoulder contact with Moore. No way he could have expected Moore to drop his knees all of a sudden. He was looking at the ball and shouldn?t get suspended this time but since the MRO is totally nonsensical he probably will go based on outcome.

ReLoad
24-08-2024, 06:55 AM
Just on the Demons, Bailey Fritsch was big into the Colombian nose candy last weekend. Very open about it too.

That club is in for a heck of a summer.

soupman
24-08-2024, 08:54 AM
I dislike Pickett as much as anyone but he absolutely went into that contest expecting shoulder to shoulder contact with Moore. No way he could have expected Moore to drop his knees all of a sudden. He was looking at the ball and shouldn?t get suspended this time but since the MRO is totally nonsensical he probably will go based on outcome.

Ignoring all his priors, it's been years of "you elect to bump, you wear the consequences if it goes wrong".

Even if he was going for the ball, Pickett had other options available to him and Moore was going for the ball.

GVGjr
24-08-2024, 08:56 AM

I tend to agree with this assessment and even though he is frequently reported he would be unlucky to cop weeks for this.

Grantysghost
24-08-2024, 09:23 AM
Agree he was wanting contact, however there's no way he could have predicted Moore dropping to his knees.
His action was perfectly legal I very much doubt he goes for this.
Engaging with the opponent before the ball arrives is very normal practise.

The Adelaide Connection
24-08-2024, 12:55 PM
Just on the Demons, Bailey Fritsch was big into the Colombian nose candy last weekend. Very open about it too.

How can AFL players be so dumb? So I am guessing this is likely to come out at some point?

ledge
24-08-2024, 02:16 PM

I must have missed this ? What where how ?

bornadog
24-08-2024, 02:38 PM
Hawks already 10 goals up and not halftime yet

bornadog
24-08-2024, 03:11 PM
Geelong destroying WC

The Underdog
24-08-2024, 03:15 PM
These games are so shit I turned over to the VFL to see some competitive sport.

DOG GOD
24-08-2024, 03:27 PM
These 2 games are the most boring I’ve ever seen.

ledge
24-08-2024, 03:31 PM
Geel last 4 years last game before finals …AFL love to give Cats best chance for a good finals berth.

2024- WC (Geelong)
2023- WB (Geelong)
2022- WC (Geelong)
2021- Melb (Geelong)

Umm we beat them last year and they weren’t a chance to make finals.

DOG GOD
24-08-2024, 03:34 PM
Umm we beat them last year and they weren’t a chance to make finals.
True, but the roster comes out start of the year…AFL knows 9/10 times cats should make finals, and if it’s close they do or not, they give them a home game just to give them the best chance. You don’t see them playing Bris in Bris, or Coll at G etc.

ledge
24-08-2024, 03:39 PM
True, but the roster comes out start of the year…AFL knows 9/10 times cats should make finals, and if it’s close they do or not, they give them a home game just to give them the best chance. You don’t see them playing Bris in Bris, or Coll at G etc.

Pies get the same sort of draw.
The AFL like the line of some abnormalities are fine, but fact is they favour the same teams every year.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-08-2024, 03:52 PM
The state of North, Eagles and Tigers just highlights how unfair the fixture is. Imagine getting 2 or 3 of them twice. With half a game to a game separating top 4 and top 8 positions it's diabolical. Finals vs no finals is a decent $$$ difference. Especially for a club like ours.

ledge
24-08-2024, 04:02 PM
Well my conclusion is Schofield is not a coach.
The draft draw needs to be changed so bottom clubs keep trying to win.
Maybe the bottom 8 works the opposite so 18th gets pick 9 and it goes back from there to 9th, so teams out of the 8 try and get as high as possible.
Or an out of the hat draw for the bottom 8.
The bottom 3 sides are so bad it’s embarrassing for the AFL

Flamethrower
24-08-2024, 04:06 PM
Pies get the same sort of draw.
The AFL like the line of some abnormalities are fine, but fact is they favour the same teams every year.

Same clubs get massive advantages every year. Imagine making the finals almost every year but still getting a bottom 6 fixture with multiple double ups against the bottom sides, or getting 16 home games etc.

Makes winning the flag as a one of the teams not getting all the advantages 10 times harder - make that 100 times if you have to win it from outside the top 4.

ledge
24-08-2024, 04:29 PM
Well my conclusion is Schofield is not a coach.
The draft draw needs to be changed so bottom clubs keep trying to win.
Maybe the bottom 8 works the opposite so 18th gets pick 9 and it goes back from there to 9th, so teams out of the 8 try and get as high as possible.
Or an out of the hat draw for the bottom 8.
The bottom 3 sides are so bad it’s embarrassing for the AFL

Grantysghost
24-08-2024, 05:19 PM
If the Cats work their way up to second wait for the Sedat Park final.

bulldogtragic
24-08-2024, 05:52 PM

It would be closer for SA fans driving over. So that really is the best thing for everyone…

comrade
24-08-2024, 05:53 PM
Today may be the shittest day of footy the AFL has conjured up in a long time.

The Underdog
24-08-2024, 06:15 PM

Awful.
Richmond about to set a record for most losses at the same venue in a season apparently.

Grantysghost
24-08-2024, 06:18 PM
It would be closer for SA fans driving over. So that really is the best thing for everyone…
I think it's fair so the Butters family right next door in Darley can walk to the game.

The Underdog
24-08-2024, 06:23 PM

Double post

Grantysghost
24-08-2024, 06:30 PM
3 weeks for Pickett.

I'm surprised by that one I'm usually around the mark.

Hotdog60
24-08-2024, 07:14 PM
3 weeks for Pickett.

I'm surprised by that one I'm usually around the mark.

I nailed it :)

Dry Rot
24-08-2024, 07:26 PM
I would like to note for the record that the Gold Coast Suns finished the season above the Melbourne Demons on the ladder.

GVGjr
24-08-2024, 07:32 PM

I listened to Steve Hocking today and he denied that they would ask for a home final.
He's pushing for 10 home games next season though.

Grantysghost
24-08-2024, 08:30 PM
I listened to Steve Hocking today and he denied that they would ask for a home final.
He's pushing for 10 home games next season though.
I'd let them play every game there.

1eyedog
24-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Luke Darcy cannot read the room.
Luckily for us his Son is a gun.

BornInDroopSt'54
24-08-2024, 09:04 PM
Dunkley just kicked for goal worse than the idiot in the insurance ad in the driveway.
Looked like someone who'd never played the game.

1eyedog
24-08-2024, 10:08 PM
Legit didn't know how good I had it until I started barracking for Essendon.

1eyedog
24-08-2024, 10:10 PM
I really like Langford though he's a great player.

Dry Rot
24-08-2024, 10:15 PM
Is this just the most boring set of games on a Saturday this season, or for all time?

Rocket Science
24-08-2024, 10:19 PM
Is this just the most boring set of games on a Saturday this season, or for all time?

Shhh. Don't harsh the self satisfied buzz of the galaxy brains at AFEL House who contrived it this way.

comrade
24-08-2024, 11:17 PM
For us to get Super Sunday, we had to have Shithouse Saturday.

macca
25-08-2024, 04:13 PM
I am barracking for Saints to win today.
I do feel dirty saying this, but it will overpass the feeling of Carlton finishing 9th , if that happens.

Mantis
25-08-2024, 04:49 PM
Such a relief to not have to sweat over the remaining results.

I hope for lols that Carlton lose by a point from an awful free kick late in the game and then Freo gets up.

GVGjr
25-08-2024, 04:53 PM
I am barracking for Saints to win today.
I do feel dirty saying this, but it will overpass the feeling of Carlton finishing 9th , if that happens.

Sometimes you have to get down and dirty :)

azabob
25-08-2024, 05:22 PM
The goal umpire has been clocked in the back of his head by a projectile thrown from the crowd. Had to come off seemed like it drew blood.
It appears to have come from the Carlton cheer squad.

Damn I hope they find, ban and criminal charges are laid against the guilty party.

hujsh
25-08-2024, 05:25 PM
Carlton seem close to St.Kilda than the rest of the top 8, granted they are hamstrung by injuries.

hujsh
25-08-2024, 05:32 PM
The goal umpire has been clocked in the back of his head by a projectile thrown from the crowd. Had to come off seemed like it drew blood.

Damn I hope they find, ban and criminal charges are laid against the guilty party.

Sounds like they're confident they can identify them easily enough.

Also extra dumb to do it at the goal umpires. What'd they do they're not giving out free kicks?

jeemak
25-08-2024, 05:55 PM

I was on the hill at a Summadayze at the top looking across the packed Music Bowl and someone about thirty metres away torpedo threw a full 750ml bottle of Pump Water into the lower hill crowd, pointy end first. It gives me nightmares thinking about how that ended up.

Water's heavy.

bulldogsthru&thru
25-08-2024, 06:00 PM
I was on the hill at a Summadayze at the top looking across the packed Music Bowl and someone about thirty metres away torpedo threw a full 750ml bottle of Pump Water into the lower hill crowd, pointy end first. It gives me nightmares thinking about how that ended up.

Water's heavy.

750g plus the bottle. That'll do some damage

jeemak
25-08-2024, 06:09 PM
750g plus the bottle. That'll do some damage

After a Two Tribes at Rod Laver arena I saw a guy sitting on the Swan Street Bridge with his legs hanging over the bridge and his hands in his pockets as everyone was exiting.

Anyway, some bright spark pushed him off towards the steep hilled banks and the poor chap couldn't get his hands out of his pockets in time while his feet hit the slippery morning grass and his head smashed into the hill face first. Carnage.

That's why I don't like big events. Dickhead riff raff wreaking havoc within a large crowd that mainly wants to have fun and being caught unawares.

DOG GOD
25-08-2024, 06:51 PM
Carl 8 frees to stk 0 this quarter.

macca
25-08-2024, 06:54 PM
Well done saints. Blues fans go into melt down. Another season wasted.

Great snap from Higgins.

Cmon Freo, they want to win this last game

hujsh
25-08-2024, 06:55 PM
Was about to write 'Let off the hook there. Carlton will really be hoping the week off revitalises their squad and they get some troops back'

But now it looks like Carlton will be relying on Freo!

DOG GOD
25-08-2024, 06:56 PM
Well done saints. Now cmon Freo

bornadog
25-08-2024, 06:56 PM
Go Saints hate you but hate Blues more
come on Freo

whythelongface
25-08-2024, 06:57 PM
Wow. Just wow. 12 secs to go

whythelongface
25-08-2024, 06:59 PM
Imagine watching that if we didn’t win today? Don’t think I could have coped

angelopetraglia
25-08-2024, 06:59 PM
The AFL could not have scripted this any better. Wow.

Sedat
25-08-2024, 07:00 PM
Defensive 50 stoppages have killed Carlton all season. Fitting that another one has potentially sunk their season.

bulldogtragic
Nice.

merantau
Umps did their best but Saints got the bacon. AFL gutted. Go Saints. Lovely to see those cheats with their silvertail President get torched in the last seconds.

josie
25-08-2024, 07:05 PM
Wow-great game clutching goal by Higgins. Freo vs Port game viewing just shot through roof.

mighty_west
25-08-2024, 07:08 PM
The drama!! Still think Carlton play finals anyway as i can't see Port dropping this, only 2% above Geelong and i'm sure they'd prefer the home ground first week of the finals.

Sedat
25-08-2024, 07:11 PM
The drama!! Still think Carlton play finals anyway as i can't see Port dropping this, only 2% above Geelong and i'm sure they'd prefer the home ground first week of the finals.
It's a 4 goal buffer. Can't imagine Freo will win by a huge amount if they do get up.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2024, 07:12 PM
Fair finish to the year!

merantau
25-08-2024, 07:20 PM
It's a 4 goal buffer. Can't imagine Freo will win by a huge amount if they do get up.

If Freo win they are IN!

mighty_west
25-08-2024, 07:29 PM

If they get on a roll with the home crowd behind them, you never know.

whythelongface
25-08-2024, 07:45 PM
Good game of footy. Cmon Freo

jeemak
25-08-2024, 07:47 PM
The AFL could not have scripted this any better. Wow.

I genuinely wonder how much planning goes into the fixturing to get this type of outcome, and then again prior to the last round being announced.

I'd say they're using generative AI to a larger extent than they'd admit, and more than what is allowed to be shared with the public. Their data inputs would be very clean and well established.

azabob
25-08-2024, 08:17 PM
Power copping a few injuries. Allir, Farrell ontop of Houston suspension.

azabob
25-08-2024, 08:44 PM
I think I might have to admit Freo are rubbish and Power are a good football team.

whythelongface
25-08-2024, 08:52 PM
I think I might have to admit Freo are rubbish and Power are a good football team.

Freo are pretty ordinary. There delivery into the forward line is shite and they panic

comrade
25-08-2024, 08:53 PM

Port have a lot of attacking weapons, if you're off even a little they'll run over you. Just have to ramp up the pressure, generate stoppages and overwhelm their defence.

merantau
25-08-2024, 08:56 PM
How do you spell "Freo"? F u m b l e.

comrade
25-08-2024, 08:58 PM
How do you spell "Freo"? F u m b l e.

Yep, they're melting under the pressure a bit.

bornadog
25-08-2024, 09:28 PM
3 points in it

Grantysghost
25-08-2024, 09:31 PM
Sweet has been very good in this game. Freo just don’t score enough, I don’t think there’s any real point to them making the finals. Well other than to keep the Blues out of course.

Sedat
25-08-2024, 09:37 PM
Freo are pretty ordinary. There delivery into the forward line is shite and they panic
Have not seen a worse display of panic kicking into F50 and endless fumbling than from Freo tonight.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2024, 09:42 PM
Kinda sucks Carlton make it, but Freo have been awful and don't deserve it

comrade
25-08-2024, 09:44 PM

Carlton will get whacked by Brisbane.

Grantysghost
25-08-2024, 09:44 PM
Power looking good. JHF is a star.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2024, 09:45 PM
Carlton will get whacked by Brisbane.

Not so sure.

Carlton get back any/many?

Sedat
25-08-2024, 09:54 PM
They were awful for the last month. Totally undeserved if they snuck in.

comrade
25-08-2024, 09:58 PM
Not so sure.

Carlton get back any/many?

I think Curnow and McKay are back, but the midfield is where it stinks for Carlton.

angelopetraglia
25-08-2024, 10:08 PM
Seriously. What an amazing day of AFL football. It had every twist and turn.

jeemak
25-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Sweet has been very good in this game. Freo just don?t score enough, I don?t think there?s any real point to them making the finals. Well other than to keep the Blues out of course.

He was really good today and finished off with a sealing goal. Was talking to a mate and we both agreed he might turn out to be a high echelon ruck over the next few years as he approaches thirty.

Might even get Danjul back into the forum given he's not been able to roll around in our own losing defecations for a couple of weeks.

jazzadogs
26-08-2024, 12:02 AM
He was really good today and finished off with a sealing goal. Was talking to a mate and we both agreed he might turn out to be a high echelon ruck over the next few years as he approaches thirty.

Might even get Danjul back into the forum given he's not been able to roll around in our own losing defecations for a couple of weeks.

His issue with us was always who was ahead of him, not whether he could do the job. He has been really solid for port with the #1 role.

He's still not playing for us ahead of English, Darcy or Lobb this year.

Happy Days
26-08-2024, 12:40 AM
Sweet got a ton of help from the Freo coaches box today. What the hell were they doing with Reidy in the ruck and Jackson in the goalsquare all day?

macca
26-08-2024, 12:50 AM
Sweet had 7 tackles which is very high for a ruck. Maybe he has improved his defensive effort . Did he look better at stoppages today ?

jeemak
26-08-2024, 12:55 AM
Sweet had 7 tackles which is very high for a ruck. Maybe he has improved his defensive effort . Did he look better at stoppages today ?

He looks really fit, and a bit of that probably comes from having to play at the top level for multiple weeks as the effort requirement is off the charts vs. the lower level.

Subsequently he seems just a bit more mobile and possibly getting better game day instruction as the senior coaches now have direct access to him all the time. More involved as a result.

Grantysghost
26-08-2024, 01:07 AM
Sweet got a ton of help from the Freo coaches box today. What the hell were they doing with Reidy in the ruck and Jackson in the goalsquare all day?
Was thinking exactly the same. Freo look their best with Jackson in the ruck. Missing Treacy didn't help.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-08-2024, 03:24 PM
So they still haven't found the bottle thrower.

This has AFEL conspiracy all over it. It was surely Alistair Clarkson who threw it. Anyone else would have been life banned by now. Clarko is untouchable.