PDA

View Full Version : 3 things learned from Rd 24 vs GWS 2024

GVGjr
24-08-2024, 08:51 AM
Lets hear your 3 new things learned from our game against GWS.

GVGjr
25-08-2024, 03:15 PM
Bump

westbulldog
25-08-2024, 04:29 PM
1. Once plastic always plastic.
2. Jack Macrae and Caleb Daniel justified their selections.
3. A few banged up players will appreciate the week off.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2024, 04:44 PM
1. CD & Macrae aren’t quite yet done
2. When we turn up, we win
3. Bevo showed off today. Great gameplan.

hujsh
25-08-2024, 04:48 PM
Even our backup role players have lifted. Well done Jones coming in for Vanders, a difficult role to play

Freijah still has plenty to learn but his head doesn't drop. Caught twice in a row and how does he react? Catches and brings down a real unit in Tom Green for a shot at goal.

For the first time in a while we kept our future in our hands. So glad I'm not sweating over some other game at the end of the round.

azabob
25-08-2024, 04:51 PM
Even our backup role players have lifted. Well done Jones coming in for Vanders, a difficult role to play

Freijah still has plenty to learn but his head doesn't drop. Caught twice in a row and how does he react? Catches and brings down a real unit in Tom Green for a shot at goal.

For the first time in a while we kept our future in our hands. So glad I'm not sweating over some other game at the end of the round.

hujsh as this is an educational thread, WTF is your signature?

hujsh
25-08-2024, 05:06 PM
hujsh as this is an educational thread, WTF is your signature?

Those who know, know

bornadog
25-08-2024, 08:49 PM
Those who know, know

Yeah that kid was so good at the Olympics when that moron screamed at him

merantau
26-08-2024, 04:12 PM
1. Dogs are a pack animal and they are very difficult to withstand when they go hunting.

2. Lachie Bramble has had a terrific year after some poor games early on. He is very reliable and has attacking nous.

3. JOD is coming along very well as is Joel Freijah.

Dry Rot
26-08-2024, 06:06 PM
1. A Jones has a future in AFL

2. Good teams can defend and suppress only 2 out of our three tall forwards. Sometimes it's JUH who such gets off the hook and kicks a few, or Darcy last week or yesterday it was Naughton.

3. McNeil could have a future in the backline.

The Adelaide Connection
26-08-2024, 06:16 PM
[QUOTE=Dry Rot;924796]1. A Jones has a future in AFL

I came here to say this (or at least that he could have). I think we can all be a bit quick to judge whether young players will or won't make it. Imagine where we would be without the likes of Liam Picken and Tory Dickson who got their debuts at 23 and 25 respectively.

Didn't we used to have a minimum games rule here?

josie
26-08-2024, 06:51 PM
1. A Jones has a future in AFL

2. Good teams can defend and suppress only 2 out of our three tall forwards. Sometimes it's JUH who such gets off the hook and kicks a few, or Darcy last week or yesterday it was Naughton.

3. McNeil could have a future in the backline.

No. 3 is a beaut point. Could be our Duryea replacement. Lachie has the tenacity and speed.

Danjul
26-08-2024, 07:15 PM
1. CD & Macrae aren?t quite yet done
2. When we turn up, we win
3. Bevo showed off today. Great gameplan.
I would have both in our best players. The way they brought others into the game was fantastic. Arty got a goal. Who hit him on the chest honouring a good lead.

The last four premiership players know what to do under pressure.

bornadog
26-08-2024, 07:18 PM
1. I learnt I still love watching footy at Ballarat.

2. Bevo is a genius and by moving a few magnets, he has plugged holes - Ed as a mid and Lobb as a CHB

3. The new assistants especially the backline coaches has worked wonders
Number one for defence, and Number two forward line

bulldogsthru&thru
26-08-2024, 07:22 PM

2. Bevo is a genius and by moving a few magnets, he has plugged holes - Ed as a mid and Lobb as a CHB

The off-season changes have been a revelation for both the club and Bevo.

Dry Rot
26-08-2024, 07:22 PM
No. 3 is a beaut point. Could be our Duryea replacement. Lachie has the tenacity and speed.

Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking.

Danjul
26-08-2024, 08:03 PM

wasn?t Lobb the only tall person left on the list who could still walk. And the only walking he looked like doing was to another club.

Wait a few more years before claiming that was a sign of genius.

Flamethrower
26-08-2024, 08:22 PM
1. We could have forfeited and still played Hawthorn with both Carltank and Failmantle choking.

2. When we are hunting in packs we can beat anyone. Already knew we could beat an old, slow Geelong and overrated Sydney, but the Plastics were in red hot form.

3. Liam Jones has never played an AFL final, and now he can after a nervous wait for the MRO to rule on his completely fair tackle.

bornadog
26-08-2024, 08:37 PM
wasn?t Lobb the only tall person left on the list who could still walk. And the only walking he looked like doing was to another club.

Check his stats over the period he has played back

Danjul
26-08-2024, 09:07 PM
Check his stats over the period he has played back
Lobb played in 3 of the first 10 games. Languishing in the vfl and, according to the experts, looking for a new club because of the lack of opportunities. He did not play in round 12 when we lost to Sydney.

That was close to the low point of our season because we lost Scott in the first few minutes, Naughton shortly after and then Richards before halftime(?)

So we went in depleted against Collingwood. No Naughton up forward so we couldn?t move Darcy back. Lobb was a desperation move. No Richards in the middle. Collingwood came out firing on all cylinders and they had about 35 points on the board before we scored. We were being humiliated. Then Macrae got two goals that steadied the team.

Since that moment the Dogs haven?t looked back.

There was no genius involved. Good players played good football and turned around the season.

Claiming getting into the finals is one person?s genius is not only propaganda but insulting to all the players who did the hard work.

The credit should spread over all the players and coaches who collectively made it a better outcome than we had last year. At least that?s my opinion.

hujsh
26-08-2024, 09:11 PM

Nah I think you've got some things mixed up.

Lobb played forward against Freo and had 3 goals and generally performed well with strong marking. He played too well to drop but with Naughton, Darcy and JUH all back he couldn't play forward.

They gave him an opportunity down back the next week which was post bye. Jones and O'Donnell played so we could have just dropped Lobb. Keath was and Gardner were injured so that might be why you have the impression we were depleted down back. Buku was dropped.

Lobb was named wing before the match and discussion on the 4 headed monster started back up.

https://www.afl.com.au/afl/matches/6025#match-report

Danjul
26-08-2024, 10:22 PM
Nah I think you've got some things mixed up.

Lobb played forward against Freo and had 3 goals and generally performed well with strong marking. He played too well to drop but with Naughton, Darcy and JUH all back he couldn't play forward.

They gave him an opportunity down back the next week which was post bye. Jones and O'Donnell played so we could have just dropped Lobb. Keath was and Gardner were injured so that might be why you have the impression we were depleted down back. Buku was dropped.

Lobb was named wing before the match and discussion on the 4 headed monster started back up.

https://www.afl.com.au/afl/matches/6025#match-report

Thanks. But Lobb couldn?t get a game until Naughton was injured and was brought in as his replacement. Played well. They kept him in for the North game as you said. Then O?Donnell got concussion, Keath was injured and Gardner was unavailable. Who could be a key position player? I suspect the choice of talls were Lobb, who was playing well and, well, there was nobody else. We had seen that Khamis was not a key defender.

No inspiration, just desperation. Fortunately Lobb has been excellent. He has allowed others to rise because of being under less pressure. I can see that in O?Donnell. The back line is humming with two mature talls. Inspiration or genius would have been to put Lobb there in round one. Just imagine where we would be now on the ladder.

My comment was not suggesting Lobb has not been terrific. It is that, in hindsight, I wish he had been put there last year and we would have been guaranteed finals.

Thanks again,

JanLorMill
26-08-2024, 10:31 PM
Thanks. But Lobb couldn?t get a game until Naughton was injured and was brought in as his replacement. Played well. They kept him in for the North game as you said. Then O?Donnell got concussion, Keath was injured and Gardner was unavailable. Who could be a key position player? I suspect the choice of talls were Lobb, who was playing well and, well, there was nobody else. We had seen that Khamis was not a key defender.

No inspiration, just desperation. Fortunately Lobb has been excellent. He has allowed others to rise because of being under less pressure. I can see that in O?Donnell. The back line is humming with two mature talls. Inspiration or genius would have been to put Lobb there in round one. Just imagine where we would be now on the ladder.

My comment was not suggesting Lobb has not been terrific. It is that, in hindsight, I wish he had been put there last year and we would have been guaranteed finals.

Thanks again,
Wasn’t Lobb shifted to CHB in last years gws game in Ballarat and was poor.

hujsh
26-08-2024, 10:35 PM

Again. JOD played the whole game against North as did Jones. We still decided to play Lobb back (even if we didn’t have to) and he did very well. The MC deserves some credit for seeing something in Lobb there. There were other options (he was named on the wing, Darcy and Naughton both have backline credentials) but they decided to try him down back and by some miracle it worked out.

I didn’t see it coming but they must have had some inkling he was capable. Otherwise why bother?

hujsh
26-08-2024, 10:35 PM
Wasn’t Lobb shifted to CHB in last years gws game in Ballarat and was poor.
Correct. Didnt look amazing and people questioned why we didn’t move Naughton

Danjul
26-08-2024, 11:35 PM
Again. JOD played the whole game against North as did Jones. We still decided to play Lobb back (even if we didn?t have to) and he did very well. The MC deserves some credit for seeing something in Lobb there. There were other options (he was named on the wing, Darcy and Naughton both have backline credentials) but they decided to try him down back and by some miracle it worked out.

I didn?t see it coming but they must have had some inkling he was capable. Otherwise why bother?
Lobb has too much talent and experience to be on the list and playing in the vfl.

last year at the end of the season he played in the traumatic losses against Hawthorn and West Coast. I remember that he played well as a forward, kicking as many goals as Naughton, Weightman and West combined.

Then in the last game when The Geelong seconds were humiliating us he went into the ruck and, in my opinion, saved the game.

Lobb has ability, but you don?t put him in a pack of eight players trying to take mark of the year. He needs movement and space. That?s why he is doing well because other teams are keeping open forward lines. He can read that play so I hope it continues.

But with reference to the highlighted part, they did play him - true.

They didn?t have to- false. Jones and O?Donnell is not adequate for a backline. The experiment with Khamis as key position was irresponsible and, overall, costly. Think back to how the Hawthorn game played out. By the time Lobb became a permanent member of the back line the MC was simply gambling in the hope of keeping their heads.

He (Lobb) did well - true.

thanks again for the discussion.

Danjul
27-08-2024, 12:10 AM
Wasn?t Lobb shifted to CHB in last years gws game in Ballarat and was poor.
Correct me if I am wrong, it is possible.

But in that game the back line had Bruce, Keath and Gardner, supported by Cleary in his first and only game. Jones didn?t play.

I think Keath was subbed out early. Bruce did his knee early and Gardner did not do much.

Lobb spent time in the ruck, had a couple of shots at goal on the forward line and around a dozen possessions. I think the description poor needs to be expanded on. Maybe not great but poor?

After being 4 goals 5 ahead at half time the Dogs lost by a few points as a result of kicking only one goal in the final quarter. That is the only poor memory that has stuck. In other words, the loss was not Lobb?s fault.

bornadog
27-08-2024, 12:43 AM
Lobb played in 3 of the first 10 games. Languishing in the vfl and, according to the experts, looking for a new club because of the lack of opportunities. He did not play in round 12 when we lost to Sydney.

That was close to the low point of our season because we lost Scott in the first few minutes, Naughton shortly after and then Richards before halftime(?)

So we went in depleted against Collingwood. No Naughton up forward so we couldn?t move Darcy back. Lobb was a desperation move. No Richards in the middle. Collingwood came out firing on all cylinders and they had about 35 points on the board before we scored. We were being humiliated. Then Macrae got two goals that steadied the team.

Since that moment the Dogs haven?t looked back.

There was no genius involved. Good players played good football and turned around the season.

Claiming getting into the finals is one person?s genius is not only propaganda but insulting to all the players who did the hard work.

The credit should spread over all the players and coaches who collectively made it a better outcome than we had last year. At least that?s my opinion.

Sorry you never answered my question. Since Lobb has been moved to CHB he has been one of the best intercept marks in the AFL.
The genius comes into it because who have thought he could play that role.

Forget the quarter and a half in the GWS game last year.

hujsh
27-08-2024, 12:45 AM
They didn?t have to- false. Jones and O?Donnell is not adequate for a backline. The experiment with Khamis as key position was irresponsible and, overall, costly. Think back to how the Hawthorn game played out. By the time Lobb became a permanent member of the back line the MC was simply gambling in the hope of keeping their heads.

Jones and JOD - Good enough for the MC at times this and last year. Khamis - returned to the team as an intercept player which he could have been doing with Jones and JOD if we wanted. Had some good moments and some bad.

Point is there were options. It wasn't just desperation. I know you have been critical of the MC and their decisions in recent history but dismissing something they did right doesn't lend credence to criticism.

I'd also argue Lobb succeeding as a defender has been less vital to our defensive performance than the team wide commitment and up the field pressure applied that allows him to back himself and simply mark the ball better than his opponent.

Danjul
27-08-2024, 08:43 AM
Sorry you never answered my question. Since Lobb has been moved to CHB he has been one of the best intercept marks in the AFL.
The genius comes into it because who have thought he could play that role.

Forget the quarter and a half in the GWS game last year.
We will have to disagree over the use of the word. I think we are in full agreement about his performance and I think it has been part of the reason the team has lifted. Grateful for that.

Danjul
27-08-2024, 09:42 AM
Jones and JOD - Good enough for the MC at times this and last year. Khamis - returned to the team as an intercept player which he could have been doing with Jones and JOD if we wanted. Had some good moments and some bad.

Point is there were options. It wasn't just desperation. I know you have been critical of the MC and their decisions in recent history but dismissing something they did right doesn't lend credence to criticism.

I'd also argue Lobb succeeding as a defender has been less vital to our defensive performance than the team wide commitment and up the field pressure applied that allows him to back himself and simply mark the ball better than his opponent.

Cannot agree with the Jones/O?Donnell combination being adequate last year. O?Donnell was played too early and was like a fish out of water. Interestingly he did show improvement when he came back for the last three games. he stood up well when the forwards failed badly. This year he has improved further and will be an excellent third backman as he masters the craft. Looking forward to good things.

The experiment with Khamis as a key position player was not a success. Unsurprising considering that he spent all last year learning his forward craft, particularly the getting away from your opponent part. When Hawthorn played through him so an injured Sicily could take 9 marks and kick the winning goal our whole season was shaken to the core. Khamis was not strong enough and was not tall enough and got badly mauled.

As with the previous Essendon and Fremantle games we proved again that Liam Jones and two beginners did not make a backline. Yes we could beat West Coast and Richmond by a lot but too fragile otherwise.

One spectacular difference in how the backline operates with Lobb down there is I am not seeing all the backmen trying to spoil the one opposition forward. That?s been a signature move for years. Now all the backmen are displaying more confidence in teammates and holding their own space. That is allowing a more direct running path out of defence. Far less kicking sideways and stalling. Quicker into the forward line against the good teams.

our problem was not lack of speed but lack of directness. Lobb has fixed that.

Having a key player with height, strength and natural footy ability at centre half back has been a whole new play book and finally got rid of the old script that had everyone except the spectators trying to spoil and knock the ball over the boundary line.

Was this the reason for getting Lobb out of the vfl side? No. It was to overcome the Naughton problem. Was it a surprise that he was kept in the team when Naughton returned? No. He was playing too well. Was it a surprise when Keath and O?Donnell were injured? No. One was regularly Breaking down and the other was regularly running into opponents and getting concussion.

Was it a surprise that Lobb was put in the backline? No. There was nobody else.

So brilliant strategy by the MC? Not in my opinion. Am I glad they did it? Certainly.

Was it genius? Far from it. It was simply a miracle. I don?t know why it took god so long to intervene, she is usually much quicker interfering in other aspects of my life.

jazzadogs
27-08-2024, 10:11 AM
One thing I've learned is that it's better to take the joy from watching my team make the finals, than focussing negatively on the past.

Trying to disconnect from the negative stuff and focus on the positives has made football a much better experience (and made me a better spectator for the most part).

I'm very proud of our playing and coaching group for their finish to the season, and commitment to the task. I'm excited to see what the finals hold for us!

hujsh
27-08-2024, 10:38 AM
Cannot agree with the Jones/O?Donnell combination being adequate last year. O?Donnell was played too early and was like a fish out of water. Interestingly he did show improvement when he came back for the last three games. he stood up well when the forwards failed badly. This year he has improved further and will be an excellent third backman as he masters the craft. Looking forward to good things.

The experiment with Khamis as a key position player was not a success. Unsurprising considering that he spent all last year learning his forward craft, particularly the getting away from your opponent part. When Hawthorn played through him so an injured Sicily could take 9 marks and kick the winning goal our whole season was shaken to the core. Khamis was not strong enough and was not tall enough and got badly mauled.

As with the previous Essendon and Fremantle games we proved again that Liam Jones and two beginners did not make a backline. Yes we could beat West Coast and Richmond by a lot but too fragile otherwise.

One spectacular difference in how the backline operates with Lobb down there is I am not seeing all the backmen trying to spoil the one opposition forward. That?s been a signature move for years. Now all the backmen are displaying more confidence in teammates and holding their own space. That is allowing a more direct running path out of defence. Far less kicking sideways and stalling. Quicker into the forward line against the good teams.

our problem was not lack of speed but lack of directness. Lobb has fixed that.

Having a key player with height, strength and natural footy ability at centre half back has been a whole new play book and finally got rid of the old script that had everyone except the spectators trying to spoil and knock the ball over the boundary line.

Was this the reason for getting Lobb out of the vfl side? No. It was to overcome the Naughton problem. Was it a surprise that he was kept in the team when Naughton returned? No. He was playing too well. Was it a surprise when Keath and O?Donnell were injured? No. One was regularly Breaking down and the other was regularly running into opponents and getting concussion.

Was it a surprise that Lobb was put in the backline? No. There was nobody else.

So brilliant strategy by the MC? Not in my opinion. Am I glad they did it? Certainly.

Was it genius? Far from it. It was simply a miracle. I don?t know why it took god so long to intervene, she is usually much quicker interfering in other aspects of my life.

I didn't say Jones and JOD were good enough as a duo, I said they were good enough for the MC who paired them together last year and this year. Lobb was more of a beginner than JOD or Darcy as far as experience in defence goes but they tried him there and it worked. I'd have played Darcy or Naughton back but they saw something and backed him in.

If you can't admit they made a good call I don't think there's anything left to discuss. We had our 2 preferred key defenders but went out of our way to remake Lobb. The Ballarat game makes me think they thought he had the attributes even if it didn't work mid match.

whythelongface
27-08-2024, 02:17 PM
Lobb has played 174 AFL games. How many of these as a CHB? Less than 10. I can’t understand why supporters wouldn’t recognise the masterstroke to firstly throw him in the backline to see how he performs (maybe it was due to the lack of options but who cares you still need to have guts to make that call) and secondly to work on his craft to play this role in a more than accomplished way (sure early days but what we have seen is very good). Why can’t people recognise that this is a very astute move by our coaching group that hasn’t really been thought of in the previous 10 years plus that Lobb has been on a playing list. To brush it off as a desperate move doesn’t give our coaching group the credit they deserve (not they want it anyway) to make this call.

bornadog
27-08-2024, 02:18 PM
Lobb has played 174 AFL games. How many of these as a CHB? Less than 10. I can?t understand why supporters wouldn?t recognise the masterstroke to firstly throw him in the backline to see how he performs (maybe it was due to the lack of options but who cares you still need to have guts to make that call) and secondly to work on his craft to play this role in a more than accomplished way (sure early days but what we have seen is very good). Why can?t people recognise that this is a very astute move by our coaching group that hasn?t really been thought of in the previous 10 years plus that Lobb has been on a playing list. To brush it off as a desperate move doesn?t give our coaching group the credit they deserve (not they want it anyway) to make this call.

Spot on WTLF

mjp
27-08-2024, 02:43 PM
To brush it off as a desperate move doesn’t give our coaching group the credit they deserve (not they want it anyway) to make this call.

It's not good coaching mate - it's actually incredible coaching. Don't dismiss the impact on the playing group of showing you are prepared to try players in different roles...it really does drive them to keep pushing when they feel like they are '4th in line' for a spot...

Just knowing that the coaches have an open mind and are prepared to try things is a real positive amongst players (most of whom think they could play pretty much anywhere!).

GVGjr
27-08-2024, 05:10 PM
Lobb has played 174 AFL games. How many of these as a CHB? Less than 10. I can’t understand why supporters wouldn’t recognise the masterstroke to firstly throw him in the backline to see how he performs (maybe it was due to the lack of options but who cares you still need to have guts to make that call) and secondly to work on his craft to play this role in a more than accomplished way (sure early days but what we have seen is very good). Why can’t people recognise that this is a very astute move by our coaching group that hasn’t really been thought of in the previous 10 years plus that Lobb has been on a playing list. To brush it off as a desperate move doesn’t give our coaching group the credit they deserve (not they want it anyway) to make this call.

I'm of the understanding that Lobb asked the coaches to trial him as a key defender over the preseason so we probably can't give the MC maximum points for the eventual move. The player has won over everyone because he's knuckled down, taken on the challenge and adapted to the changes better than anyone would have thought.