PDA

View Full Version : The Moment: Rnd 24, 2024 vs GWS

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-08-2024, 08:19 AM
The moment; the best, most courageous moment that caught your eye in this afternoon's game against GWS.
Was it the moment that told you 'we've got this' or 'we lost this one right here'? Or was it the moment that you went 'wow....that is crazy courage'

Was it a collection of moments or perhaps one you felt had greater significance outside of the actual game's result?.. Or maybe it was a downright gobshite game, with little to crow about...but you know, you're still down to get your post count up as you set your gaze towards your next 60,000 posts............. BAD.... who love's ya baby

GVGjr
25-08-2024, 04:40 PM
GWS threatening and a Joel Freijah marked stemmed the tide in the last quarter. Composed mark for someone so young.

Pleather Sole
25-08-2024, 04:45 PM
GWS threatening and a Joel Freijah marked stemmed the tide in the last quarter. Composed mark for someone so young.

Fridge is the Iceman.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2024, 04:48 PM

Beat me it. This times 1,000,000

hujsh
25-08-2024, 04:59 PM
JUH causing a turnover and Bont kicking a long goal dead straight against the wind. Really said to me 'this is our day'

kickit2Koly
25-08-2024, 05:07 PM
The bont kick inboard to Arty then long bomb to Naughton was the first time I stopped sweating all day.

jeemak
25-08-2024, 06:14 PM
All good moments mentioned.

I was worried about JF's game today, and was so happy for him that he managed to take that grab. Will do wonders for him in the match review when that's called out.

Beveridge really backed in the individuals today and it came off. Will be great for overall confidence.

bornadog
25-08-2024, 07:28 PM
All good moments mentioned.

I was worried about JF's game today, and was so happy for him that he managed to take that grab. Will do wonders for him in the match review when that's called out.

Beveridge really backed in the individuals today and it came off. Will be great for overall confidence.

I felt with only 11 points in it and GWS surging forward, one more goal and it would be too close.

azabob
25-08-2024, 07:29 PM
I felt with only 11 points in it and GWS surging forward, one more goal and it would be too close.

Prior to that mark it looked like we were out on our feet, did it seem that way at the ground?

bornadog
25-08-2024, 07:30 PM
Prior to that mark it looked like we were out on our feet, did it seem that way at the ground?

No not at all.

GVGjr
25-08-2024, 08:38 PM

I never quite felt that in anyway but GWS were getting things back on their terms. I had a mate sending me messages (he was in the outer) and he didn't feel like we had done enough and GWS were coming but where I was sitting the people around were vastly more positive. I thought we controlled it in the first quarter and dominated the midfield early on. It was a 4 or 5 goal wind and GWS didn't get their full value in the first.

Happy Days
25-08-2024, 10:28 PM
I already knew we won but Arty Jones’ 5 minutes from hell (compliment) sure put a massive smile on my face.

jeemak
25-08-2024, 10:42 PM
I never quite felt that in anyway but GWS were getting things back on their terms. I had a mate sending me messages (he was in the outer) and he didn't feel like we had done enough and GWS were coming but where I was sitting the people around were vastly more positive. I thought we controlled it in the first quarter and dominated the midfield early on. It was a 4 or 5 goal wind and GWS didn't get their full value in the first.

It's good insight into how different the game can look depending on where you see it from.

Jordan Lewis on the coverage was just advocating for run and gun with hands out of defence into the wind, for both teams. By the end of the game both teams were using the outer side to exit unless on the break with the wind. Even when we used the outer side we got into the trap of going too long off half back.

Anyway, no sane person would have tried a run and gun game against the wind when playing the best pressure and surging team in the competition - it'll just create a turnover and have your defenders caught out because they're all forward (I remember something similar against GWS last year). You take the frontal pressure game every day of the week and back your defenders, and exit wide/ outer. And as it happened the only place to score from into the wind was from the outer pocket as you're kicking directly into it at that point instead of it being across you (all of Gallagher, Bont and Toby Greene kicked amazing goals in that way).

But once GWS adapted to playing the outside of the ground there were times when they were surging that we were using the ball poorly, and almost panicking and they got closer. On the TV we did look a little flat at that time.

JanLorMill
26-08-2024, 08:36 AM
Being there it felt we had that game under control in the first quarter. Never felt like losing. Moments like Freijah’s or L Jones mark, Naught’s goal, A Jones 50 in the last confirmed it.

comrade
26-08-2024, 08:45 AM
Being there it felt we had that game under control in the first quarter. Never felt like losing. Moments like Freijah’s or L Jones mark, Naught’s goal, A Jones 50 in the last confirmed it.

Yeah, it was a weird game in that we were never really in danger but it also never felt completely secure until half way through the last. I didn?t enjoy it at all, one of the more frustrating games I?ve experienced in recent times probably due to what was at stake, the weather etc

hujsh
26-08-2024, 09:02 AM
We did a great job on controlling the game when they had the wind and cashing in enough when we had it. There's still always that element of 'what if we shit the bed?' that comes into it unless the game is completely settled we have to deal with thanks to 2022-3

Ozza
26-08-2024, 01:37 PM
I think I may have been uncharacteristically relaxed and confident compared to others (and to my normal self).

When Darcy grabbed it out of the ruck in the 2nd quarter and goaled, all of the anxiety drifted away and I was sure we were winning. Others watching with me were nervous with only a 13 point lead at 3 quarter time - but with that breeze, it was near on to an impossible task to outscore us by three goals in the final term.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-08-2024, 01:43 PM
I think I may have been uncharacteristically relaxed and confident compared to others (and to my normal self).

When Darcy grabbed it out of the ruck in the 2nd quarter and goaled, all of the anxiety drifted away and I was sure we were winning. Others watching with me were nervous with only a 13 point lead at 3 quarter time - but with that breeze, it was near on to an impossible task to outscore us by three goals in the final term.

My concern was if that breeze dropped or swung!

Ozza
26-08-2024, 01:49 PM

I guess I felt pretty comfortable with how we had 'turned up' across the ground, and always felt like we were relatively in control or it was on 'our terms'.
Its become quite obvious when the 'bad' bulldogs have turned up this year, and for a few years really, so when it was clear it wasn't those dogs, I had faith.

merantau
26-08-2024, 04:06 PM
Freijah's mark in the last was very important as was Ed's goal to begin the last and Arty's conversion of the 50mt penalty.

bornadog
26-08-2024, 05:33 PM

The breeze did drop a bit when the clouds and a quick shower happened

Warrnambulldog
27-08-2024, 12:03 AM
Scarred from last year, I was only confident with about 10 minutes to go. Bloody Greene.. I reckon when he missed that shot in the 3rd from 50 with the wind, it hurt their chances badly. Love Freijahs work, but there were many great moments, Bonts goal into the wind (but didnt seem affected by it). I was sitting right behind Richards goal from the boundary. Twas a beautiful sight seeing that drop in like Tiger Woods golf ball at the Masters 2005