PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Finals Edition

Pages : [1] 2

Scraggers
25-08-2024, 04:08 PM
We are finals bound baby !!!

Therefore, welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Finals Edition Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Twenty-Four match against GWS for our Elimination Final against Hawthorn at the MCG on Friday night 6 September.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

bulldogsthru&thru
25-08-2024, 04:13 PM
West will come in for Arty and that'll be it.

Arty was terrific so not an omission. He gave exactly what I wanted from him. Used his pace to apply pressure.

I suppose he could still keep his spot if Vanders doesn't get up. But it was just tightness apparently.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2024, 04:15 PM
Expect Jones to miss.

bulldogsthru&thru
Garcia may come in for Vanders as an extra mid against the hawks could be useful. Either him or Arty.

bulldogsthru&thru
Expect Jones to miss.

That'd be absolutely heart breaking for him. Finally makes finals and is suspended. No concussion so could be a fine.

Happy Days
25-08-2024, 04:19 PM
Why wouldn’t it be VDM for West?

Raels_d
25-08-2024, 04:22 PM
I don?t think we can take both of Macrae and Daniel against the pace and run of the hawks. One of them to start and the other the sub. If West is back consider Arty Jones for McNeil.

DOG GOD
25-08-2024, 04:37 PM
I don?t think we can take both of Macrae and Daniel against the pace and run of the hawks. One of them to start and the other the sub. If West is back consider Arty Jones for McNeil.
Agree. We will need the quickest team we can. Macrae/daniel for sub.

As long as Buku doesn?t come in for Jones

Against Hawks, I think we?d be ok with Lobb, O?Donnell, Freijah and Williams down back.

So I?d have?

Out-jones
In-west

Hawks fwd line against NM
Chol
Gunston
Ginnivan
Watson
McDonald
Dear

Gunston always turns back Father Time against us but it will be the pace of ginnivan and Watson that will be of concern for MC

jDogs
25-08-2024, 04:43 PM
Does Jones really go for that? Doesn't look like he slung him, more just a dumping action and the gws player didn't hit his head (admittedly I am not up to date with the new crackdown on tackling). I just saw the Ash one from last week and the Freo player had his head smashed into the turf and it looks like more of a slinging action at the end.

Mantis
25-08-2024, 04:44 PM
Does Jones really go for that? Doesn't look like he slung him, more just a dumping action and the gws player didn't hit his head (admittedly I am not up to date with the new crackdown on tackling). I just saw the Ash one from last week and the Freo player had his head smashed into the turf and it looks like more of a slinging action at the end.

I think he will get a fine at worst.

josie
25-08-2024, 04:45 PM

And GWS player had one arm free so potentially could have stopped the inertia by putting that arm out to hit ground first. Hoping that counts for something too.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2024, 04:51 PM
Hard to make a change. In theory I like Harmes finals experience and could match up well on Hardwick, but couldn’t see who to drop.

hujsh
25-08-2024, 05:14 PM
Surely we run a huge psyop sympathy campaign for Jones in the media about how he's never played finals and he's really old and was at that tragic club Carlton for years so just give him something?

Plums
25-08-2024, 05:42 PM

If he gets suspended it I would be taking it to the tribunal / appeals board. There wasn't a slinging motion and it was a textbook tackle. It was an accident he got hit high but it was a shoulder hit, not the head. I would argue if I was the dogs that it was a football accident and sufficient duty of care was taken.

All that said its a toss of the coin whether he gets off knowing the AFL process.

mjp
25-08-2024, 06:48 PM
And GWS player had one arm free so potentially could have stopped the inertia by putting that arm out to hit ground first. Hoping that counts for something too.

100%.

I get so annoyed by this...LET GO OF THE BALL and protect yourself!!! You're DONE/CAUGHT/GONE...

I'm so tired of this rule. A sling is a sling - 100% - report and suspend (1-2 weeks). Arms pinned and a SLING? Throw the book at them (3-6 weeks). But these ones like Jones when the player is done cold and brought to ground with an arm free? Both the tackler and the player with the ball need to take some responsibility for the outcome.

mjp
25-08-2024, 06:53 PM

Play them on the wings - better pairing than any/all other options we have tried this year. Particularly now that the poor attitude displayed by Macrae in previous years when starting outside the centre square has been "dropped" out of him.

I know Hawthorn have some potential but this team selection should be 95% about US playing our best footy and 5% about the Hawks. Yep - they have played some good footy but the finals will be breaking new ground for them. I honestly expect us to grind them into the MCG turf through contest and pressure.

Their 'speed' (which I don't think is that much of a factor) wont matter when they are chasing arse all over the G.

bornadog
25-08-2024, 07:24 PM
100%.

I get so annoyed by this...LET GO OF THE BALL and protect yourself!!! You're DONE/CAUGHT/GONE...

I'm so tired of this rule. A sling is a sling - 100% - report and suspend (1-2 weeks). Arms pinned and a SLING? Throw the book at them (3-6 weeks). But these ones like Jones when the player is done cold and brought to ground with an arm free? Both the tackler and the player with the ball need to take some responsibility for the outcome.

Haven't seen the replay, but at the ground, looked more like the GWS player was falling forward and Jones was still holding on to him

lemmon
25-08-2024, 07:31 PM
If Laith is out, I'd bring West in for him. If Laith is right to go, West in for Arty with Gallagher or McNeil sub.

I think we'll bring Buku in if Jones is out - Bevo seems to like to reward the 'last guy in' and that Hawthorn forward-line isn't particularly big.

hujsh
25-08-2024, 07:32 PM
Haven't seen the replay, but at the ground, looked more like the GWS player was falling forward and Jones was still holding on to him

To me it looked like Jones was using his weight to pull Cadman straight down, Cadman was fighting to stay up with his arm pinned and evenetually his legs gave way and he fell forward. TBH I don't think Jones' tackle was poor. mjp probably has it right, just get rid of the ball, not the tacklers fault if you hurt yourself struggling to break free.

bornadog
25-08-2024, 07:33 PM
Gallagher got better as the game went on - 9 Tackles

GVGjr
25-08-2024, 08:51 PM
Gallagher got better as the game went on - 9 Tackles

Late in the 3rd quarter he looked to come off with a bit of claret coming out of his head but they kept him on the ground until the end of the quarter and cleaned him up and applied some salve to it. He's a gutsy kid anyway.

whythelongface
25-08-2024, 08:56 PM
Probably Gags best game of his short career.

West in for VDM.

I would like to see Harmes in but not sure whom for

Mantis
26-08-2024, 07:55 AM
Probably Gags best game of his short career.

West in for VDM.

I would like to see Harmes in but not sure whom for

Can?t agree on that.

I thought he was flat footed and fumbled for most of the game.

The goal he kicked was an exceptional one though at a crucial time.

Bullies
26-08-2024, 08:09 AM
And GWS player had one arm free so potentially could have stopped the inertia by putting that arm out to hit ground first. Hoping that counts for something too. Cadman also dives forward to make it look worse and milk the free kick as well.

JanLorMill
26-08-2024, 08:49 AM
West for McNeil or VDM.

azabob
26-08-2024, 08:56 AM
Under consideration for mine is Harmes and West.

Question marks over VDM fitness wise, Gallagher and Jones.

Jones played his role I just think in a final he might not have the physical presence which will be required.

hujsh
26-08-2024, 09:05 AM
Under consideration for mine is Harmes and West.

Question marks over VDM fitness wise, Gallagher and Jones.

Jones played his role I just think in a final he might not have the physical presence which will be required.

Jone's pressure is great but he won't stick tackles on the mature guys. Kind of just bounces off them

whythelongface
26-08-2024, 09:38 AM
Can?t agree on that.

I thought he was flat footed and fumbled for most of the game.

The goal he kicked was an exceptional one though at a crucial time.

Fair points. I wasn’t at the game so couldn’t tell his running patterns. It just seemed like he was playing a role and did it quite well - 9 tackles a goal and 13 touches wasn’t a bad return.

Either way does he keep his spot?

I think Harmes with his big match experience would be valuable on the big stage.

MrMahatma
26-08-2024, 10:47 AM
Jone's pressure is great but he won't stick tackles on the mature guys. Kind of just bounces off them

Thought on a few occasions he went out of his way to avoid contact yesterday. Those shoulders sure are taped up.

Danjul
26-08-2024, 11:35 AM
Fair points. I wasn?t at the game so couldn?t tell his running patterns. It just seemed like he was playing a role and did it quite well - 9 tackles a goal and 13 touches wasn?t a bad return.

Either way does he keep his spot?

I think Harmes with his big match experience would be valuable on the big stage.

from where I was sitting at the game Gallagher didn?t look quite ready for prime time. He is close but his positioning is suspect and that prevents him from being an effective link between the arcs. He is enthusiastic and seems to have strength to apply in packs. This puts his tackle count up and generates free kicks. In open play he has little influence but can use his momentum if given the ball - such as receiving a handball and kicking that goal.

I think he would have reached a higher standard with more regular breaks in the vfl to work on targeted aspects of his game with less pressure. He is a long way behind some of the more experienced players who can anticipate the play in a way that gives them time to ensure that the ball goes to a teammate in good position.

In all, a work in progress.

Happy Days
26-08-2024, 11:55 AM
At this stage I’d do Gallagher for (redacted) (on the condition that he can bring his ice tray onto the field with him) and West for VDM.

I’m not wedded to it but I’m happy enough for Arty to stay as the sub, he didn’t get a ton of it but he looked so much cleaner yesterday and everything he did was impactful. He has a lot of what you look for in an ideal sub too.

whythelongface
26-08-2024, 12:16 PM
from where I was sitting at the game Gallagher didn?t look quite ready for prime time. He is close but his positioning is suspect and that prevents him from being an effective link between the arcs. He is enthusiastic and seems to have strength to apply in packs. This puts his tackle count up and generates free kicks. In open play he has little influence but can use his momentum if given the ball - such as receiving a handball and kicking that goal.

I think he would have reached a higher standard with more regular breaks in the vfl to work on targeted aspects of his game with less pressure. He is a long way behind some of the more experienced players who can anticipate the play in a way that gives them time to ensure that the ball goes to a teammate in good position.

In all, a work in progress.

Thanks Danjul. Appreciate the in depth review, particularly from someone who was at the game.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-08-2024, 01:21 PM
In: Harmes, West
Out: Gallagher, VDM

If VDM is right to go, Arty makes way.

Gallagher has shown some nice signs, but I don't think he's ready. He just doesn't do enough yet and still makes too many errors. This is what we got Harmes for, he has to play.

I'd probably pick Coffield over Khamis if Jones is suspended, the latter just worries me defensively when the ball is coming in quick and that's what Hawthorn do well.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-08-2024, 01:26 PM
Why would we select Harmes now and not select him for yesterday's "elimination" final?

I don't see the MC doing it unless it's match up specific reasons.

bornadog
26-08-2024, 03:34 PM
Ads had very sore calves yesterday and even in the warm up was getting massaged on the ground. Went off a few times, so hopefully he is right to go. VDM I believe was hammy tightness

Axe Man
26-08-2024, 03:52 PM
Ads had very sore calves yesterday and even in the warm up was getting massaged on the ground. Went off a few times, so hopefully he is right to go. VDM I believe was hammy tightness

They mentioned achilles at one stage during the coverage for Treloar. Whether it was achilles or calf it is concerning although I assume we would have put him on ice if the risk was too great.

Hopefully VDM was more on the precautionary side rather than a strain.

The bulldog tragician
26-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Perhaps I’m alone in thinking that Arty could/should be retained. He looks creative, feels like he opens up space, and nine tackles is quite mighty, especially as GWS backline is hardly filled with youthful timid lightweights (I still loathe Himmelberg who courageously punched Bont in the stomach out of the field of play in that final).

I know, I know, “VDM hard running, role player, unnoticed defensive work etc etc”, but I actually found it refreshing that we had someone who has forward craft and nous. The moment where he led beautifully for Marra a case in point. I also feel West dropped off in form a lot in latter end of the season. So a vote here for Arty from me. I’m sure Bevo will take note.

Axe Man
26-08-2024, 04:09 PM
Perhaps I’m alone in thinking that Arty could/should be retained. He looks creative, feels like he opens up space, and nine tackles is quite mighty, especially as GWS backline is hardly filled with youthful timid lightweights (I still loathe Himmelberg who courageously punched Bont in the stomach out of the field of play in that final).

I know, I know, “VDM hard running, role player, unnoticed defensive work etc etc”, but I actually found it refreshing that we had someone who has forward craft and nous. The moment where he led beautifully for Marra a case in point. I also feel West dropped off in form a lot in latter end of the season. So a vote here for Arty from me. I’m sure Bevo will take note.

It was Gallagher that had 9 tackles, Arty didn't lay any.

Arty did have an impact though and if VDM doesn't come up Arty may retain his place as I feel the match committee will want someone with pace pressuring the Hawks backs.

The bulldog tragician
26-08-2024, 04:24 PM

Arty did have an impact though and if VDM doesn't come up Arty may retain his place as I feel the match committee will want someone with pace pressuring the Hawks backs.
I did have rose coloured glasses then.

GVGjr
26-08-2024, 04:27 PM
We've got some questions and challenges in team selections to consider

Treloar with his achilles/calf tightness and do we trust Vandermeer with lingering hamstring challenges to play a full game?
Liam Jones wit a potential suspension.
Then there are questions on if Arty Jones is really ready, Gallagher is good enough and perhaps if Freijah can continue to offer us something?

Waiting in the wings are West, Khamis, Poulter, Garcia, Harmes, Baker, Sanders and maybe even Johannisen.

Rocket Science
26-08-2024, 04:31 PM
Your mean-spirited reminder that Harmes is only among us because he wasn't deemed good enough to get a game in a Melbourne finals side.

kickit2Koly
26-08-2024, 04:50 PM
Jones got off with a fine apparently

whythelongface
26-08-2024, 05:49 PM

Great news. Yes I read that somewhere as well - may have been the site formerly known as Twitter- thus not a reliable source as it is infiltrated by right wing loonies so take it with a grain of salt.

bornadog
26-08-2024, 05:53 PM
Great news. Yes I read that somewhere as well - may have been the site formerly known as Twitter- thus not a reliable source as it is infiltrated by right wing loonies so take it with a grain of salt.

Yes Tom Morris

bornadog
26-08-2024, 05:59 PM
Let's fix them up

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GV0qPvdagAALu2s?format=jpg&name=small

Grantysghost
26-08-2024, 06:03 PM

Wow - that's massive news. I'm actually quite surprised.

Go_Dogs
26-08-2024, 06:18 PM
We've got some questions and challenges in team selections to consider

Treloar with his achilles/calf tightness and do we trust Vandermeer with lingering hamstring challenges to play a full game?
Liam Jones wit a potential suspension.
Then there are questions on if Arty Jones is really ready, Gallagher is good enough and perhaps if Freijah can continue to offer us something?

Waiting in the wings are West, Khamis, Poulter, Garcia, Harmes, Baker, Sanders and maybe even Johannisen.

Surely there?s no question on Freijah? He?s been excellent coming back in and is playing well beyond his years. He?s absolutely a reason we?ve been an improved side in the second half of the year and must retain his spot.

Hotdog60
26-08-2024, 06:27 PM
Surely there?s no question on Freijah? He?s been excellent coming back in and is playing well beyond his years. He?s absolutely a reason we?ve been an improved side in the second half of the year and must retain his spot.

Absolutely the fridge is as cool as a cucumber just what you need in finals.

josie
26-08-2024, 06:27 PM

Agree. He’s been amongst our better players since his return.

Danjul
26-08-2024, 07:03 PM

I went to the practice match against North at Carlton?s base to witness the unveiling of the four headed monster in 2023.

The ball went into our forward line. Good mark. our first Goal. Big cheers from the supporters. Pats on the head from the players.

Who kicked it? Baker.

I?ve seen him kick three and give two away in a AFL game. Lately he?s been kicking multiple goals in the Footscray team. Got 40% of the team?s goals in the drawn game recently.He is as fast as Vandermeer, gets more possessions than Jones and takes on the opposition. Can make mistakes but is a step up from McNeil in my opinion.

Don?t understand why he is not considered these days.

Dry Rot
26-08-2024, 07:25 PM
How has Harmes been playing in the VFL?

We are in the finals now, and we will need every experienced hard body to play that we have.

Except Keith.

bornadog
26-08-2024, 07:35 PM

We are in the finals now, and we will need every experienced hard body to play that we have.

Except Keith.

Played the last two and was ok

kruder
26-08-2024, 07:41 PM
Liam Jones is such a massive win, he has been unbelievable since he has retuned to the kennel. He is one player that you need to go and watch live to appreciate how good he is, what a combo he and Lobby have become.

kruder
26-08-2024, 07:44 PM

Except Keith.

He gets to push his case again this week, Id trust him more than Gags but Bevo has got selection right this year.

Happy Days
26-08-2024, 07:45 PM
(Redacted) should come in to tag Weddle and bash him as much as the laws of the game allow. If we have to suffer the ignominy of listing him then we might as well as use him for the reason that we got him.

Grantysghost
26-08-2024, 08:06 PM
(Redacted) should come in to tag Weddle and bash him as much as the laws of the game allow. If we have to suffer the ignominy of listing him then we might as well as use him for the reason that we got him.
Would do no Harmes.

kickit2Koly
26-08-2024, 09:06 PM
Wow - that's massive news. I'm actually quite surprised.

I wasn’t but only because the afl tribunal has more in common with Chook Lotto than an understandable system for judging on field incidents.

westbulldog
26-08-2024, 11:06 PM
Our 18yo Joel Freijah plays like a 100 game player, he is a walk up start in the finals imo.

kruder
27-08-2024, 12:01 AM
Our 18yo Joel Freijah plays like a 100 game player, he is a walk up start in the finals imo.

How didn't he win rising star this week after last weeks effort?

Mantis
27-08-2024, 08:47 AM
Looking ahead I'd be having a close watch on the need to play JOD... I just don't see a match-up for him against the Horks as he isn't really suited to a player like Gunston.

comrade
27-08-2024, 09:14 AM
Looking ahead I'd be having a close watch on the need to play JOD... I just don't see a match-up for him against the Horks as he isn't really suited to a player like Gunston.

I?ll admit I?m useless when it comes to the Hawks, know nothing about them except they?re the most exciting team of all time according to the media.

From the looks of it, their forward mix includes Dear, Gunston, Moore, Ginnivan, MacDonald, Watson and Chol.

Possible direct match ups could be:

Chol - Lobb
Dear - Jones
Ginnivan - Bramble
Watson - Duryea
MacDonald - Freijah

That leaves Gunston and Moore. Who takes them?

Axe Man
27-08-2024, 10:29 AM

What about a potential Gunston matchup don't you like? Seems like a good matchup for JOD to me - has him covered for speed and height - Gunston's only advantage are his smarts. Coffield could be the other option I guess but I would stick with JOD.

PR0408
27-08-2024, 10:40 AM
What about a potential Gunston matchup don't you like? Seems like a good matchup for JOD to me - has him covered for speed and height - Gunston's only advantage are his smarts. Coffield could be the other option I guess but I would stick with JOD.
JOD dear Lobb chol. Jones can play on a small/medium and be the third man up. We should dominate them in the air

whythelongface
27-08-2024, 10:41 AM

Agree. Reckon JOD would be perfect for Gunston - JOD slightly taller and appears to be quicker off the mark.

whythelongface
27-08-2024, 10:43 AM
JOD dear Lobb chol. Jones can play on a small/medium and be the third man up. We should dominate them in the air

Dear is also another option for JOD. JOD will be a definite starter.

hujsh
27-08-2024, 11:01 AM
Dear is also another option for JOD. JOD will be a definite starter.

Generally speaking Jones is on whoever is deepest right? Who is that normally for the Hawks? Chol?

I think we normally go structure>matchups so JOD probably plays on whoever is most appropriate around his usual spot

comrade
27-08-2024, 11:07 AM
Generally speaking Jones is on whoever is deepest right? Who is that normally for the Hawks? Chol?

I think we normally go structure>matchups so JOD probably plays on whoever is most appropriate around his usual spot

I think a tall/medium combo of Chol, Dear & Gunston warrants all 3 of Lobb, Jones & JOD playing. I like how that looks from our side.

Axe Man
27-08-2024, 11:07 AM

I think you are correct. We probably get too hung up on individual matchups at times when in reality it can be quite fluid during a game. JOD is probably more flexible than Coffield and more reliable than Buku as the third tall so I can't see the match committee making a change there.

Mantis
27-08-2024, 12:08 PM

Which is the concern.

Whilst not the same as Buku, I do feel James gets 'lost' when defending a player with good forward craft.

However, maybe we play him on Dear and Jones goes with Gunston.

bornadog
27-08-2024, 12:16 PM

Chol will shit his pants with Jones bearing down on him

mjp
27-08-2024, 12:24 PM

Yes. 100%.

Jones is the deepest and has the game in front of him. Why would we change this plan?

Jones to whoever is deepest, Lobb to whoever is highest and JOD to colour in between the lines with Jones coming over the top to help.

The Hawks talls are NOT the problem. Did anyone say 'JJ into the team to play as a defensive small'???

It's going to be on the cards 'cos without him we will be a small defender short. Moore, Watson, Ginnevan, Bruest vs Bramble, Duryea, Dale and....

Axe Man
27-08-2024, 12:27 PM
Yes. 100%.

Jones is the deepest and has the game in front of him. Why would we change this plan?

Jones to whoever is deepest, Lobb to whoever is highest and JOD to colour in between the lines with Jones coming over the top to help.

The Hawks talls are NOT the problem. Did anyone say 'JJ into the team to play as a defensive small'???

It's going to be on the cards 'cos without him we will be a small defender short. Moore, Watson, Ginnevan, Bruest vs Bramble, Duryea, Dale and....

JJ has to play VFL this weekend, if he blows his calf out again so be it. Although from Gvg's training reports it sounds like he should be ready to go.

Sedat
27-08-2024, 12:29 PM
Yes. 100%.

Ginny and Bruest don't have burst leg speed (they are both very clever and dangerous players). Watson and Moore definitely do (add Connor McDonald to that list as well, who does the high half forward role as well as anyone at the moment). Agree, we probably are one small defender light-on. I could see JOD being able to match-up on Ginny/Bruest but not McDonald.

bornadog
27-08-2024, 12:37 PM
JJ has to play VFL this weekend, if he blows his calf out again so be it. Although from Gvg's training reports it sounds like he should be ready to go.

At the club function a few weeks ago, JJ said the medicos had finally worked out what the issue was with his calf and he was confident in returning soon (back then). Hopefully his calf is good.

Bullies
27-08-2024, 01:04 PM
Dear is also another option for JOD. JOD will be a definite starter. JOD can also cover other opponents if needed. Very under rated.

SquirrelGrip
27-08-2024, 01:20 PM

Don't forget "the Fridge" Freijah, our ripped off Rising Star.

mjp
27-08-2024, 02:06 PM
Don't forget "the Fridge" Freijah, our ripped off Rising Star.

Nah - not forgetting him. Just don't think he is going to play on Moore, Watson, Ginnivan or Breust.

Playing higher on a McDonald type or sliding up to the wing and getting a Weddle type would be more his go.

I am also on the 'dreamers pick kids' bandwagon and would not be totally surprised if he missed.

Mofra
27-08-2024, 03:17 PM
Should we really tear up the playbook that saw us win 8 out of our last 10 or whatever it is?
We have the players to make adjustments in-game. Truck or Gags to defence as a plan B. I'd much rather back our system in and let Hawthorn plan to stop us, not the other way around.

bulldogsthru&thru
27-08-2024, 04:01 PM
Wasn't there talk of McNeil being a defensive option?

Go_Dogs
27-08-2024, 06:27 PM
Nah - not forgetting him. Just don't think he is going to play on Moore, Watson, Ginnivan or Breust.

Playing higher on a McDonald type or sliding up to the wing and getting a Weddle type would be more his go.

I am also on the 'dreamers pick kids' bandwagon and would not be totally surprised if he missed.

Surprised a few see JF on the outter of selection. I get it. But reward the form line surely.

comrade
27-08-2024, 06:30 PM
Surprised a few see JF on the outter of selection. I get it. But reward the form line surely.

I'm not dropping a kid who can cop a nice little hip and shoulder from Coniglio in D50, ride the bump and steady before lacing a pass to a teammate. He'll be fine when the whips are cracking in a final.

GVGjr
27-08-2024, 06:49 PM

That's the way I look at it. Happy to have him in the side but if JJ was to perform well at Footscray it adds to the discussion particularly against a team with some genuine small forwards to counter.

jazzadogs
27-08-2024, 07:55 PM
We've only got five players who have played every game this year - any guesses?

azabob
27-08-2024, 08:01 PM

Bontempelli, Dale, Duyrea,

azabob
27-08-2024, 08:01 PM

Williams

azabob
27-08-2024, 08:03 PM

Williams

I can only think VDM is the 5th

azabob
27-08-2024, 08:04 PM
I just looked I reckon BRAMBLE is #5!,

Throughandthrough
27-08-2024, 08:09 PM
Based on the email I just received we are playing in an elimiation final

Grantysghost
27-08-2024, 08:18 PM
McNeil be one.

jeemak
27-08-2024, 08:26 PM
Yes. 100%.

My only issue with "maintaining structure" over match ups (I know it's a blend, mostly, but one is always favoured) is Lobb and JOD getting lost on handovers. Especially with Gunston being as crafty as he is, and he is super crafty.

Williams may help out back on the small to mediums if Jacko and Daniel start the game.

jazzadogs
27-08-2024, 08:33 PM

The five are Bont, Bramble, Bailey's Dale and Williams, and VDM. Not a group many would have picked at the start of the year!

Treloar and English missed one, Duryea, West and JuH played 21.

Mantis
28-08-2024, 08:46 AM
My only issue with "maintaining structure" over match ups (I know it's a blend, mostly, but one is always favoured) is Lobb and JOD getting lost on handovers. Especially with Gunston being as crafty as he is, and he is super crafty.

Williams may help out back on the small to mediums if Jacko and Daniel start the game.

Can't see why we would push him back after his best game on the wing all year... think we get him to run around with Massimo and make him accountable.

Axe Man
30-08-2024, 01:47 PM
AFL Finals 2024: Adam Treloar confident he?ll be right to go, Will Day pushing for return in blockbuster elimination final (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-finals-injury-news-adam-treloar-races-the-clock-to-be-fit-for-elimination-final/news-story/78d14f278bddf50eaae0da37847f51ef)

Western Bulldog star Adam Treloar remains confident he will be fit to face Hawthorn in next Friday?s blockbuster elimination final.

The Dogs star played with a tight calf in Sunday?s crunch win over GWS and has been racing the clock since to be fit to meet the Hawks.

He is one of several Dogs to take a light bye week, with goalkicker Jamarra Ugle-Hagan absent from training on Thursday due to illness.

While Treloar couldn?t yet lock himself in for the knockout final, he said he would ramp up his training next week.

?Obviously make the most of the week off, it is nice to have a week off and let the legs relax,? Treloar told media at the AFL Awards night on Thursday.

?Just to put myself in a position to train next week and hopefully train freely and play on Friday.?

Treloar played 22 of a possible 23 games this season in a career year, forcing his way into All-Australian side on Thursday night.

The Bulldogs will miss his drive through the midfield if Treloar doesn?t get up as they battle with a powerful young Hawthorn midfield.

Norm Smith medallist Jason Johannisen remains working through his own lengthy calf injury in a late bid to return to the senior side, while important forward Rhylee West is also hoping to be passed fit after missing round 24 with a jaw injury.

Day pushing for a return ? but not in the usual way
? Glenn McFarlane

Injured Hawthorn midfielder Will Day will use an unusual location ? Punt Road Oval ? in an effort to push his campaign to prove his fitness for next week?s elimination final.

The Hawks are set to train under lights on Friday night at Richmond?s home training base in an effort to replicate similar playing conditions to what they can expect at the neighbouring MCG seven days later.

The clash with Western Bulldogs will be Hawthorn?s Friday night game since back in 2022 with coach Sam Mitchell keen to get some exposure under the lights for his players.

It?s understood a bid to train at the MCG under lights on Friday night had been unsuccessful.

Day is recovering from a dislocation of his sternoclavicular and faces a race against time to be ready to take on the Bulldogs in the cut-throat final.

He could have his first contact drills in the closed training sessions but won?t be pushed too hard given he will have at least another seven days to prove his fitness.

The club?s head of performance Peter Burge said this week: ?Will has started running and conditioning outside and he?s feeling better.?

?We?ll be progressing his conditioning loads over the week and then reassess when we can start non-contact training, hopefully around the weekend.

?Beyond that, there?s still a few things for us to assess and look at before we progress to full contact training.?

Changkuoth Jiath (calf) has been back in full training and is on track to play for Box Hill Hawks in the VFL this weekend.

Rocco Jones
31-08-2024, 06:26 PM
Ok thinking of the players locked in

KPDs: Liam Jones, Lobb and JOD

Small defenders: Dale and Bramble offering rebound/kicking, Doc defence. That's 6.

CBAs: Bont, Adz, Ed, Libba

Wing/can be used as flankers: Macrae, Daniel, Truck. That's 12.

Ruck English

KPFs: Naughts, Marra, Darcy (R2)

Small forwards: Cody.

Ok that's 17. 5 + 1 not totally locked in.

Probably 3 of the spots will have their time mainly spent as a small forward. Pressure a clear priority for at least one of those spots.

Need one to play a fair chunk as a small defender too.

I think the players in contention are: Freijah, Vanders, McNeil, Arty, Gags, Harmes, West and JJ.

VDM, McNeil: do we need to play at least one of them in terms of bringing small forward pressure? Or can one of the other options who will probably bring more elsewhere do enough? Vanders a risk with the hamstring awareness. I am also concerned with how their ability to deal with immense pressure. Would not want to play more than one of them.

Arty, Westy: think there is definitely a spot for at least one of them. Both have a strong ability to hit the scoreboard than the pair mentioned above but can they brining the required pressure to both play?

Harmes, Gags: Harmes did well today and Gags laid 9 tackles vs GWS. Both have spent a lot of their time in the middle either in AFL or VFL. How do they go if playing mostly forward? Harmes got 30+ touches but how does that fit into what we need for the EF? He brings experience and toughness. I am concerned Gags will clanger it up.

Freijah, JJ: Hawks bring a big with their small forwards, how much of a priority is having a specialist small defender? JJ looked rusty and was out of the games for bits today but I also liked how he broke lines. Obvious a risk to play him but his experience could be huge in such a pressure atmosphere. Feels harsh to have Freijah dropped but does he fit our needs?

I think I'd go with Arty, Harmes, JJ, Freijah and McNeil in terms of reliability and need.

Meaning:

In: Harmes, JJ
Out: Vanders, Gags

Rocco Jones
01-09-2024, 11:16 AM
Ha I’ve settled down

In: West, Harmes
Out: Vanders, Gags

Sub: Arty or Harmes

West potentially to Sicily.

GVGjr
01-09-2024, 02:13 PM
Id like West to go to Impey.
Sicily does pose a challenge though

The Adelaide Connection
01-09-2024, 02:36 PM
The early forecast is for quite heavy rain just in time for the bounce. This might change as we get closer (the days leading up have already dramatically changed their outlook).

Question is- do we change our team if it?s going to be super wet, or back it in like we did against Geelong?

bulldogsthru&thru
01-09-2024, 03:55 PM
Does rain suit us better or them?

SonofScray
01-09-2024, 06:14 PM
How has Harmes worked his way back into calculations?

Haven't been following the twos and have a set against him, so need to have it explained just how he's managed to get a mention?

josie
01-09-2024, 06:33 PM

Haven't been following the twos and have a set against him, so need to have it explained just how he's managed to get a mention?

I was at VFL game yesterday and he was I think best on ground for us. Tough, uncompromising, reasonably quick (I think his footy smarts help make him look quicker). Also watched replay of VFL game a fortnight ago and he was pretty good in that too. So it’s his form, hardened body plus experience including finals that is putting him in the frame. Other woofers like me were impressed in yesterday’s game by Buss, Coffield and Arty too. I also really liked JJ - just so smooth and skilful. Would be a risk though with JJ’s injury history but it’s a good quandary for MC.

I think Keath was poor and I think he would not be an option, unless 2 or even more backs were unavailable.

jeemak
01-09-2024, 06:34 PM

37 touches and a couple of sausage rolls yesterday.

Grantysghost
01-09-2024, 06:52 PM
It's notable that Sanders hasn't really been mentioned for consideration. It's a long season for a young kid, I thought he looked a bit flat yesterday.
He has a long career in front of him so I'm ok taking our time.

bornadog
01-09-2024, 06:56 PM
I was at VFL game yesterday and he was I think best on ground for us. Tough, uncompromising, reasonably quick (I think his footy smarts help make him look quicker). Also watched replay of VFL game a fortnight ago and he was pretty good in that too. So it?s his form, hardened body plus experience including finals that is putting him in the frame. Other woofers like me were impressed in yesterday?s game by Buss, Coffield and Arty too. I also really liked JJ - just so smooth and skilful. Would be a risk though with JJ?s injury history but it?s a good quandary for MC.

I think Keath was poor and I think he would not be an option, unless 2 or even more backs were unavailable.

Nicely summed up Josie, echoes my thoughts as well. His finals experience will be a big help to the team

Mofra
01-09-2024, 07:25 PM
I was at VFL game yesterday and he was I think best on ground for us. Tough, uncompromising, reasonably quick (I think his footy smarts help make him look quicker). Also watched replay of VFL game a fortnight ago and he was pretty good in that too. So it’s his form, hardened body plus experience including finals that is putting him in the frame. Other woofers like me were impressed in yesterday’s game by Buss, Coffield and Arty too. I also really liked JJ - just so smooth and skilful. Would be a risk though with JJ’s injury history but it’s a good quandary for MC.

Harmes to Sicily. Surely in in our plans?

hujsh
01-09-2024, 07:26 PM
It's notable that Sanders hasn't really been mentioned for consideration. It's a long season for a young kid, I thought he looked a bit flat yesterday.
He has a long career in front of him so I'm ok taking our time.

It's not like he's ideal for the fwd/mid role and the quartet of Bont/Libba/Treloar/Richards is pretty untouchable.

He started really well yesterday and I could see traits that would serve him well once he's settled at AFL level but didn't really see much after the first quarter where it looked like he ended a bit flat (someone mentioned they were putting work into him which is also great because then he's learning to deal with a tag.)

Bullies
01-09-2024, 07:31 PM
He has a long career in front of him so I'm ok taking our time. Sanders and Buss have both had a great learning year. It will hold them both in good stead for next year. Don't undersestimate the amount of additional work being put into them on how to do the 1%'ers and play accountable football. Both never had to do this as juniors. It will round them off nicely and we are fortunate to be able to do this in the 2's.

ledge
01-09-2024, 08:21 PM
Harmes to Sicily. Surely in in our plans?

That made me think for a second , I thought wow you think Harmes is that bad you want him to go to Italy. Then I clicked.

BornInDroopSt'54
02-09-2024, 01:32 AM
BoM forecast:

Friday 6 September
SummaryMin 16Max 22Showers.Possible rainfall: 1 to 10 mmChance of any rain: 80%
Melbourne area
Cloudy. High chance of showers. Winds northerly 15 to 25 km/h turning westerly during the day.

comrade
02-09-2024, 08:09 AM
A windy ass day is the thing that worries me the most.

ReLoad
02-09-2024, 09:08 AM
We really do need to bring Harmes into the side.

Not only has he been belting down the door, but his versatility, particularly his ability to lock someone down is something we don't have a great option of in the side.

If things start going south, we need options. If its him or Gags, ill take Harmes.

(plus i want him to go full mental on Sicily and cause him to have a 2 year old type meltdown)

bulldogsthru&thru
02-09-2024, 10:06 AM

I don't think it's going to be too windy Friday night. Not enough to overcome the walls of the G. Could be quite wet though.

angelopetraglia
02-09-2024, 10:16 AM
I don't think it's going to be too windy Friday night. Not enough to overcome the walls of the G. Could be quite wet though.

Wind forecast at this stage for 8pm on Friday night is 10km/h light winds from the west. So wind won't have an impact at all if the forecast is accurate.

At this stage there is a 80% chance of rain of 5 to 10mm for Friday. So yes, it could be very wet.

Sedat
02-09-2024, 11:38 AM
Couldn't get more windy than Ballarat in R24, which we handled with aplomb.

The elements (wind and/or rain) might hurt Hawthorn's precision kicking game off half-back. They were very good against Collingwood in the rain to be fair, although they completely dominated field position that day through midfield/clearance.

ReLoad
02-09-2024, 11:40 AM
Couldn't get more windy than Ballarat in R24, which we handled with aplomb.

The elements (wind and/or rain) might hurt Hawthorn's precision kicking game off half-back.

The more physical this game is, the better it will be for us. so hopefully conditions can help he game becoming that.

The Adelaide Connection
02-09-2024, 11:46 AM
The more physical this game is, the better it will be for us. so hopefully conditions can help he game becoming that.

Do we think the wet is an overall advantage or disadvantage? I agree that physical probably advantages us- which a wet, repeat stoppage kind of game would likely become.

But the whole "you don't go in tall in the wet" old wives' tales makes me nervous. We made it work against Geelong, but could their smaller, quick squad gain an advantage if it's a difficult night to clunk the footy?

mjp
02-09-2024, 04:10 PM
Wind forecast at this stage for 8pm on Friday night is 10km/h light winds from the west. So wind won't have an impact at all if the forecast is accurate.

At this stage there is a 80% chance of rain of 5 to 10mm for Friday. So yes, it could be very wet.

An 80% chance of rain doesn't mean that there's an 80% chance it WILL rain though.

The BOM have been playing a joke on ALL of us...

MrMahatma
02-09-2024, 04:34 PM
Do we think the wet is an overall advantage or disadvantage? I agree that physical probably advantages us- which a wet, repeat stoppage kind of game would likely become.

But the whole "you don't go in tall in the wet" old wives' tales makes me nervous. We made it work against Geelong, but could their smaller, quick squad gain an advantage if it's a difficult night to clunk the footy?

Is "don't go too tall in the wet" a modern view? It's not like it's only 1 ball a qtr and they're waterlogged so don't travel/get heavy/ can't be marked.

The Adelaide Connection
02-09-2024, 04:56 PM
Is "don't go too tall in the wet" a modern view? It's not like it's only 1 ball a qtr and they're waterlogged so don't travel/get heavy/ can't be marked.

That's a fair point. Also, talls these days aren't all baby giraffes. Ours do quite well at ground level.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-09-2024, 05:26 PM
BoM forecast:

Friday 6 September
SummaryMin 16Max 22Showers.Possible rainfall: 1 to 10 mmChance of any rain: 80%
Melbourne area
Cloudy. High chance of showers. Winds northerly 15 to 25 km/h turning westerly during the day.

Updated forecast is for a maximum of 26!

MrMahatma
02-09-2024, 05:35 PM
Updated forecast is for a maximum of 26!

It'll be somewhere between gale forced winds with hail, and a balmy evening with barely a puff of wind.

90% chance of that.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-09-2024, 05:37 PM
An 80% chance of rain doesn't mean that there's an 80% chance it WILL rain though.

The BOM have been playing a joke on ALL of us...

60% of the time it rains every time.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-09-2024, 05:38 PM
It'll be somewhere between gale forced winds with hail, and a balmy evening with barely a puff of wind.

90% chance of that.

Ballarat will have prepared us well.

Rocco Jones
02-09-2024, 08:46 PM
How'd we feel if we rolled out this side? (assuming JJ is fit enough)

JOD, L Jones, Doc
Bramble, Lobb, Dale
Ed, Bont, Truck
Westy, Naughts, McNeil
Marra, Darcy, Cody
English, Adz, Libba
Macrae, Daniel, JJ, Arty
Sub: Harmes

azabob
02-09-2024, 08:48 PM

JOD, L Jones, Doc
Bramble, Lobb, Dale
Ed, Bont, Truck
Westy, Naughts, McNeil
Marra, Darcy, Cody
Macrae, Daniel, JJ, Arty

Brave move. No English, Libba and Adz…

In all seriousness what are the IN and OUT?

Grantysghost
02-09-2024, 09:05 PM

JOD, L Jones, Doc
Bramble, Lobb, Dale
Ed, Bont, Truck
Westy, Naughts, McNeil
Marra, Darcy, Cody
Macrae, Daniel, JJ, Arty

West for Vanders?

No to JJ for me not match fit especially for a crunch final.

Harmes as sub, hmm. Interesting. I think I'd play him before Caleb think he offers more in terms of shut-down capability.

I think we will play West and Vanders so no Arty.

JJ I wouldn't be surprised if he came in for Freijah or Daniel however I wouldnt make that change.

Harmes should come in but I don't know who goes out. Caleb or Macrae most likely.

Edit : Gags for Harmes.

whythelongface
02-09-2024, 09:11 PM
Brave move. No English, Libba and Adz…

In all seriousness what are the IN and OUT?

Must have left a line out. No Freijah either.

Dale, L Jones, Doc
Bramble, Lobb, Freijah
Daniel, Bont, Williams
Westy, Naughts, McNeil
Marra, Darcy, Cody
English, Treloar, Richards
Macrae, Harmes, Arty, JOD
Sub: Gags, VDM or Jj

Rocco Jones
02-09-2024, 09:16 PM
Ha, yep, left a line out! Sorry.

Out: Gags, Vanders, Freijah
In: JJ, Harmes, West

Vanders seems to have hamstring awareness a bit and too much risk v reward for mine.

I like Freijah a lot but what role does he have Friday night?

Really going with experience > youth.

merantau
02-09-2024, 09:49 PM
I'm warming to the idea of Harmes coming in. He is versatile and experienced and doesn't shy away from dishing out a bit of aggro.

Mantis
03-09-2024, 08:35 AM
Ha, yep, left a line out! Sorry.

Out: Gags, Vanders, Freijah
In: JJ, Harmes, West

Vanders seems to have hamstring awareness a bit and too much risk v reward for mine.

I like Freijah a lot but what role does he have Friday night?

Really going with experience > youth.

He helps us win.

I'd be more than happy for him to play on any number of the Haw forwards and feel he is more suited to playing than JOD.

The Underdog
03-09-2024, 08:42 AM

Our talls are pretty highly skilled and also good below their knees. I?d maybe consider going shorter down back but feel like JOD would still be ok in the conditions.

The Doctor
03-09-2024, 09:22 AM
JJ could be our wildcard this finals series.

Rocco Jones
03-09-2024, 10:41 AM
He helps us win.

I'd be more than happy for him to play on any number of the Haw forwards and feel he is more suited to playing than JOD.

Yeah honestly, maybe I am too nervous about kids. Freijah definitely shows more maturity than a typical rookie.

Rocco Jones
03-09-2024, 10:54 AM
With the rain and the talls, I think it's reductive to say it'll hurt us as we lose value from our gun talls. I think there are a few misconceptions with how rain affects certain types.

You pretty much still want to play 4 KPPish players + a ruck in the rain due to structure + bigger bodies.

I think Jones and Lobb can actually rise in value compared to standard KPPs due to how clean they are over head. The ability to take an intercept mark becomes even greater and they have both demonstrated the ability to do this in the wet.

Does JOD lose value/find it hard with a role?

Darcy is very clean overhead and can cluck it at a peak very few, if any, can. He showed plenty in wet vs Cats. He might do it less than usual but the contested grabs i50 he can take in the wet compared to even the best could be massive.

Marra has that mobility and ability to find something out of very little, again suited to the wet.

Naughts one of our better pressure guys and if his competitiveness is up, he should be fine.

How are their talls in the wet?

Chol is pretty mobile and skiled, might be good for him. Hopefully he struggles with the physical side of it and opens an opportunity for Lobb or Jones to get intercept marks.

Thinking it'll help Gunston as a clever F3.

Dear? Maybe one who turns into a baby giraffe? I have been impressed by him in general and I don't know enough to make a judgement in the rain.

Frost? IDK if he drops a level with rain, hope he becomes a bit of a liability.

Sicily is a gun and I think his hands and skills will mean he goes up a cog value wise in rain.

Rocco Jones
03-09-2024, 10:57 AM
JJ could be our wildcard this finals series.

We might very well face:
- EF: Moore, Ginnivan, Watson
- SF: Stengle, Close, Miers

I think a small defender with elite speed and ability to break lines really fits our needs.

bornadog
03-09-2024, 11:04 AM
With the rain and the talls, I think it's reductive to say it'll hurt us as we lose value from our gun talls. I think there are a few misconceptions with how rain affects certain types.

You pretty much still want to play 4 KPPish players + a ruck in the rain due to structure + bigger bodies.

I think Jones and Lobb can actually rise in value compared to standard KPPs due to how clean they are over head. The ability to take an intercept mark becomes even greater and they have both demonstrated the ability to do this in the wet.

Darcy is very clean overhead and can cluck it at a peak very few, if any, can. He showed plenty in wet vs Cats. He might do it less than usual but the contested grabs i50 he can take in the wet compared to even the best could be massive.

Marra has that mobility and ability to find something out of very little, again suited to the wet.

Naughts one of our better pressure guys and if his competitiveness is up, he should be fine.

Chol is pretty mobile and skiled, might be good for him. Hopefully he struggles with the physical side of it and opens an opportunity for Lobb or Jones to get intercept marks.

Dear? Maybe one who turns into a baby giraffe? I have been impressed by him in general and I don't know enough to make a judgement in the rain.

Sicily is a gun and I think his hands and skills will mean he goes up a cog value wise in rain.

I agree with all you have said.
Go back and watch the first GWS game and the Geelong games in the wet - that will tell you more. The talls were fine those games.

The Adelaide Connection
03-09-2024, 11:07 AM

The forecast is changing daily- Weatherzone (which uses a mix of BOM and their own stuff) have dropped the likelihood of rain to just 50% (1-5mm) and have it at 26 degrees (falling to about 18 by the first bounce). I have used the Weatherzone app for years and find it to be pretty spot on most of the time.

Obviously it gets more accurate the closer we get.

Thing is- I am not sure if rain suits us or not so I have no idea what I am rooting for.

azabob
03-09-2024, 11:09 AM
We might very well face:
- EF: Moore, Ginnivan, Watson
- SF: Stengle, Close, Miers

I think a small defender with elite speed and ability to break lines really fits our needs.

That is a good call. IF only JJ got one more game in at VFL level.

Having said that our fitness staff have a great record in bringing players back off long spells without a vfl game and they do not miss a beat.

The Adelaide Connection
03-09-2024, 11:11 AM
That is a good call. IF only JJ got one more game in at VFL level.

If he wasn't able to squeeze his way in the 22 I think he would be a great sub option, but would we put a bloke coming back from soft-tissue issues as sub when there is a risk he breaks down and leaves us one short?

Rocco Jones
03-09-2024, 11:16 AM
I agree with all you have said.
Go back and watch the first GWS game and the Geelong games in the wet - that will tell you more. The talls were fine those games.

Just to be clear, I am not suggesting the rain will benefit us with our talls vs their talls, as I don't know enough about how their talls in the wet compared to the dry. I am just stating that having gun talls = hurt when it rains is a really reductive and often very inaccurate belief.

comrade
03-09-2024, 11:26 AM
If it rains, our talls will be fine. If it's dry, our talls will be fine. If it's blowing a gale, they'll struggle but so will Hawthorn's.

Game will be won through territory and stoppage dominance. Timmy English is just about our most important player imo. At stoppage, if he allows Meek to physically overpower him and put the ball into space, we will struggle. And he must not allow those bail out marks down the line like Adelaide were given. Huge game for Timmy. Show us your worth Chill!

Mantis
03-09-2024, 11:47 AM
Yeah honestly, maybe I am too nervous about kids. Freijah definitely shows more maturity than a typical rookie.

I think Joel has shown enough to have us feeling comfortable that he will be a solid contributor.

Plums
03-09-2024, 11:51 AM
I think Joel has shown enough to have us feeling comfortable that he will be a solid contributor.

I can't see any way Freijah gets dropped for a final after consistently performing well throughout the season, it would be very unlike Bevo if he was.

azabob
03-09-2024, 11:52 AM
If he wasn't able to squeeze his way in the 22 I think he would be a great sub option, but would we put a bloke coming back from soft-tissue issues as sub when there is a risk he breaks down and leaves us one short?

I edited my comment whilst you were replying.

For mine if our health and fitness staff back JJ to get through a full game we cannot question it. They have copped a lot of crap over the time with their language, but their record is pretty bloody good when it comes to bring players straight in after a long time out.

comrade
03-09-2024, 11:53 AM
Freijah is a must play. He'll take one of those mid/smalls and do a job. Can't wait to see how he handles the big stage.

Rocco Jones
03-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Yeah, fair call with Freijah. Can go to wing and even HFF.

I'd absolutely love to see JJ in the side if we he is fit enough. Could be a massive inclusion for us needs wise.

comrade
03-09-2024, 11:57 AM

I'd absolutely love to see JJ in the side if we he is fit enough. Could be a massive inclusion for us needs wise.

I'm warming to JJ too. He looked pretty good physically on the weekend. Would be a huge call if we did play him. Would be in place of someone like Macrae or Caleb I reckon.

bornadog
03-09-2024, 11:57 AM

he looked pretty good on Saturday, but yeah, it was VFL and didn't seem like he was on the ground for long periods.

comrade
03-09-2024, 12:03 PM
he looked pretty good on Saturday, but yeah, it was VFL and didn't seem like he was on the ground for long periods.

I reckon he?s left his run too late, another game under his belt would have been ideal.

The Adelaide Connection
03-09-2024, 12:17 PM
I reckon he?s left his run too late, another game under his belt would have been ideal.

No VFL is a killer. I did wonder on full time whether Bevo and co would secretly liked to see Footscray miss and have to front up again this weekend.

mjp
03-09-2024, 12:20 PM
Backs:
- Talls: Jones and Lobb
- Smalls: Duryea, Bramble, Dale, JJ
- Mid Size: Freijah

Rucks: English

Mids:
Inside: Bont, Treloar, Liber, Richards
Outside: Williams, Macrae, Daniel

Forwards:
Talls: Naughton, Jamarra, Darcy
Smalls: Weightman, West, VDM, McNeil

Emergencies: JOD, Gallagher, Harmes, Sanders

JOD unlucky - I just think we need an extra small this week...I guess his match-up would be Gunstan if he played which doesn't really seem ideal. All of that said, it seems every time he is available he is selected so I'm probably going to be wrong on this...

comrade
03-09-2024, 12:32 PM
Backs:
- Talls: Jones and Lobb
- Smalls: Duryea, Bramble, Dale, JJ
- Mid Size: Freijah

Rucks: English

Mids:
Inside: Bont, Treloar, Liber, Richards
Outside: Williams, Macrae, Daniel

Forwards:
Talls: Naughton, Jamarra, Darcy
Smalls: Weightman, West, VDM, McNeil

Emergencies: JOD, Gallagher, Harmes, Sanders

JOD unlucky - I just think we need an extra small this week...I guess his match-up would be Gunstan if he played which doesn't really seem ideal. All of that said, it seems every time he is available he is selected so I'm probably going to be wrong on this...

I'm not overly concerned with JOD if he plays. He can go smaller if needed, he's not a lumbering type. Give him a job on Macdonald or someone like that. Could also take Dear.

Who's sub from the emergencies? No Harmes for you?

Daniel stands out as a red flag for me, especially against the speed Hawks put on the ball in transition.

Spots 21/22/sub are really up for grabs. Could come from any of VDM, West, Daniel, Harmes, Gallagher, JJ or JOD. Can't fit them all in.

bornadog
03-09-2024, 12:41 PM
I'm not overly concerned with JOD if he plays. He can go smaller if needed, he's not a lumbering type. Give him a job on Macdonald or someone like that. Could also take Dear.

Daniel stands out as a red flag for me, especially against the speed Hawks put on the ball in transition.

Spots 21/22/sub are really up for grabs. Could come from any of VDM, West, Daniel, Harmes, Gallagher, JJ or JOD. Can't fit them all in.

The club has a "pick the team" comp and I found it hard to choose who comes in or is dropped from the list you have above.

I think Bevo will play JOD, but also agree we should drop one tall? VDM will depend how his hammy has pulled up as it was a tweak and has JJ had enough match practice.

comrade
03-09-2024, 12:50 PM
The club has a "pick the team" comp and I found it hard to choose who comes in or is dropped from the list you have above.

I think Bevo will play JOD, but also agree we should drop one tall? VDM will depend how his hammy has pulled up as it was a tweak and has JJ had enough match practice.

The more I think about it, the more I like JJ in but geez, we'd have to be sure. If he does play, I don't think we can risk VDM also and I'd give Harmes the nod over him. Daniel, I just can't fit in. His lack of pace is just too much a factor against the Hawks. If it was Geelong, I'd probably have him in ahead of Gallagher.

B: Duryea Jones Bramble
HB: Dale Lobb JJ
C: Williams Libba Macrae
HF: McNeil Naughton Weightman
F: West Jamarra Darcy
R: English Bont Richards
I: Freijah Harmes Treloar JOD
Sub: Gallagher

I think JOD is a lock so the big decisions are:

Harmes vs VDM vs West
Daniel vs JJ vs Gallagher

bornadog
03-09-2024, 12:59 PM
The more I think about it, the more I like JJ in but geez, we'd have to be sure. If he does play, I don't think we can risk VDM also and I'd give Harmes the nod over him. Daniel, I just can't fit in. His lack of pace is just too much a factor against the Hawks. If it was Geelong, I'd probably have him in ahead of Gallagher.

B: Duryea Jones Bramble
HB: Dale Lobb JJ
C: Williams Libba Macrae
HF: McNeil Naughton Weightman
F: West Jamarra Darcy
R: English Bont Richards
I: Freijah Harmes Treloar JOD
Sub: Gallagher

I think JOD is a lock so the big decisions are:

Harmes vs VDM vs West
Daniel vs JJ vs Gallagher

As much as I think Gallagher will be a good player in the future, do we want to rely on him to do a job?

comrade
03-09-2024, 01:02 PM
As much as I think Gallagher will be a good player in the future, do we want to rely on him to do a job?

I can see him being unproductive, but can also visualise some key moments where his speed and hustle provide opportunity. I'd be comfortable with him as the sub, but not in the 22. For me, it's him or Daniel in the team.

westbulldog
03-09-2024, 01:04 PM
Finals are littered with mistakes of playing those not fully fit so imo no JJ,no VDM.

comrade
03-09-2024, 01:09 PM
Finals are littered with mistakes of playing those not fully fit so imo no JJ,no VDM.

The pre-finals bye probably elevates that to an extent but there's definitely risk involved. I have more faith in JJ than VDM staying put together in a final.

mjp
03-09-2024, 01:39 PM
The pre-finals bye probably elevates that to an extent but there's definitely risk involved. I have more faith in JJ than VDM staying put together in a final.

Pretty sure VDM has played every game this year. I mean, he went off vs GWS but that seemed to be the epitome of a precautionary substitution.
JJ played VFL last week...not sure what everyone would have him do to prove his fitness. For me it's now or never.

mjp
03-09-2024, 01:41 PM

I'm not having a go, but every year we hear this...then all we see/hear is examples of players over-coming injuries to be contributors. Take our own 2016 example when 5x players came back into the side...

If you're declared fit by the medical crew, then you're fit to play. If you are a good player and have been declared fit, then you're fit to perform.

mjp
03-09-2024, 01:47 PM

To me it's JOD or JJ.

I named Harmes as an emergency. I'm not convinced but he must be in the mix.

I think Daniel will be fine. I keep hearing about the Hawks leg-speed but am curious which player everyone is talking about...why are they fast?? They move the ball fast, sure...is Caleb not smart enough to work his way through that? Williams, Daniel and Macrae is our best wing-set and it isn't close...all 3 of them can flip inside/outside and both Williams and Daniel can give a hb chop-out...makes total sense.

I think the 4x small forwards (West/Weightman/McNeil/VDM) is a big part of what we've done second half of the year. Gallagher is not ready despite the number of times he has been selected. Daniel must be ahead of Harmes. I think it's JJ or JOD...

Like you, I suspect JOD is selected...I also think JJ will be selected...I think this will leave us either unbalanced or take away from that 4-headed forward set I mentioned earlier...

Watch what happens when Jones (Arthur version) is named and scuppers all of this prognosticating!

comrade
03-09-2024, 02:33 PM
I really hate the word ?unbalanced? and really really don?t want it used to describe the most important team we pick this year. Go with balance Bevo!

Mofra
03-09-2024, 02:55 PM
I think one of Arty or VDM just has to play, but I'm also very keen on Harmes doing a HF role on Sicily. Sadly I think that means Westy just misses out.

If we make their HB exits difficult/messy, we win.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2024, 04:30 PM
I think one of Arty or VDM just has to play, but I'm also very keen on Harmes doing a HF role on Sicily. Sadly I think that means Westy just misses out.

Agree on one speedster. Probably VDM. I think West to me is against McNeil. I think West has enough credit in the bank and better finishing as hard as that might be for Lachie. With the weather, Harmes & West offer some versatility and hardness.

I’m starting to settle on Harmes & West for McNeil & Arty.

angelopetraglia
03-09-2024, 06:01 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GWiEyTUaoAA2Z9J?format=jpg&name=large

angelopetraglia
03-09-2024, 06:01 PM
I really, really want to beat them on Friday night. Please.

bornadog
03-09-2024, 06:22 PM
I really, really want to beat them on Friday night. Please.

They are acting like spoilt smart arses - lets show them what finals footy is all about

comrade
03-09-2024, 06:34 PM
Playtime's over.

whythelongface
03-09-2024, 07:05 PM
The Hawks are so far ahead of themselves it is not funny. Sure they have been playing good footy but they have next to no chance winning the flag let alone beating us.

Danjul
03-09-2024, 07:10 PM
To me it's JOD or JJ.

I named Harmes as an emergency. I'm not convinced but he must be in the mix.

I think Daniel will be fine. I keep hearing about the Hawks leg-speed but am curious which player everyone is talking about...why are they fast?? They move the ball fast, sure...is Caleb not smart enough to work his way through that? Williams, Daniel and Macrae is our best wing-set and it isn't close...all 3 of them can flip inside/outside and both Williams and Daniel can give a hb chop-out...makes total sense.

I think the 4x small forwards (West/Weightman/McNeil/VDM) is a big part of what we've done second half of the year. Gallagher is not ready despite the number of times he has been selected. Daniel must be ahead of Harmes. I think it's JJ or JOD...

Like you, I suspect JOD is selected...I also think JJ will be selected...I think this will leave us either unbalanced or take away from that 4-headed forward set I mentioned earlier...

Watch what happens when Jones (Arthur version) is named and scuppers all of this prognosticating!

As you say, why are we worried about leg speed? Last time it was poor disposals that cost us the game. The AFL site says Hawthorn got 52 points from intercepts. And if I remember correctly the final straw was Sicily playing 1:1 with Khamis. Neither of those factors should be relevant this time.

hujsh
03-09-2024, 07:11 PM
I don't know they go on to win a premiership but they're one of the more daunting foes in the finals TBH. Feel a bit like us in 2015 so hopefully it ends the same way

bulldogsthru&thru
03-09-2024, 08:00 PM
I don't know they go on to win a premiership but they're one of the more daunting foes in the finals TBH. Feel a bit like us in 2015 so hopefully it ends the same way

Who's their Michael Talia?

hujsh
03-09-2024, 09:01 PM
Who's their Michael Talia?

Ginnivan. But on actual accident after a night at the races

bulldogsthru&thru
03-09-2024, 09:40 PM
Ginnivan. But on actual accident after a night at the races

The very same night he happens to lose his phone.

jeemak
03-09-2024, 10:46 PM
It really is all about the Hawks, isn't it.

Show up and we'll smash them. Selections around the edges aren't even a focus for me this week.

FrediKanoute
03-09-2024, 11:10 PM

If its one of Arty or VdM then it's VdM.

I disagree on Harmes coming in for West.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-09-2024, 12:01 AM
It really is all about the Hawks, isn't it.

Show up and we'll smash them. Selections around the edges aren't even a focus for me this week.

I agree. We've got this one if we play well.

mjp
04-09-2024, 11:05 AM
If its one of Arty or VdM then it's VdM.

I disagree on Harmes coming in for West.

Couldn't agree more with these two points.

Grantysghost
04-09-2024, 11:57 AM
As you say, why are we worried about leg speed? Last time it was poor disposals that cost us the game. The AFL site says Hawthorn got 52 points from intercepts. And if I remember correctly the final straw was Sicily playing 1:1 with Khamis. Neither of those factors should be relevant this time.

Yes that game was a really poor performance from us. The team looks very different and much more settled, I think Bevo was still experimenting a bit at that stage.

westbulldog
04-09-2024, 01:02 PM
I am not a fan of bringing players in for finals who haven't played for weeks or are under an injury cloud so no way would I select JJ over Freijah for a hb spot. JJ cannot be match fit imo.

Glove38
04-09-2024, 01:20 PM

My feelings exactly. They are playing with a freedom, flair and energy that can take them far. Very much like 2015 for us.
They have already massively exceeded expectations so have zero stress - that is a dangerous cocktail.
They will have the majority of the crowd since Ticketek made sure they gobbled up most of the public tickets and if we leave the door open by not kicking straight we are vulnerable.
Still think we win, but Im nowhere near as confident as some

GVGjr
04-09-2024, 01:38 PM
Based on training today JOD and Freijah are as good as confirmed for Friday. JJ spent way too much time in rehab to be considered

mjp
04-09-2024, 02:18 PM
Based on training today JOD and Freijah are as good as confirmed for Friday. JJ spent way too much time in rehab to be considered

When you go through it (the 22) I think there is only room for ONE out of JJ and JOD.

I know they aren't the same but it's the same spot - a spot in the back 7.

bornadog
04-09-2024, 02:20 PM
My gut feeling is:

In Harmes, out Arty.

Hotdog60
04-09-2024, 02:22 PM
My gut feeling is:

In Harmes, out Arty.

I think this will be it also. Highlights of Harmes against the VFL Lions on the club sites might give us a hint.

mjp
04-09-2024, 02:22 PM
My gut feeling is:

In Harmes, out Arty.

I'm OK with that if it's the sub role.

I have said before, I don't like inexperienced players as the sub - they are forced to do things under heat in the last quarter without getting used to the 'pace of the game'...mistakes (and goals for the oppo) result.

jDogs
04-09-2024, 02:23 PM
Based on the presser when asked about a couple of players including West, Bevo said "I think the players understand there won't be much change..." I doubt West makes the cut.

Hotdog60
04-09-2024, 02:26 PM

I have said before, I don't like inexperienced players as the sub - they are forced to do things under heat in the last quarter without getting used to the 'pace of the game'...mistakes (and goals for the oppo) result.

Having his experience on the bench could be handy too as he comes across as a team orientated player and would either settle the younger ones down or encourage them. Then be ready to go when he comes on.

Axe Man
04-09-2024, 02:28 PM
When you go through it (the 22) I think there is only room for ONE out of JJ and JOD.

I know they aren't the same but it's the same spot - a spot in the back 7.

JJ could also be a candidate for the sub role given his ability to play a few different positions, his experience and pace/run and carry that could provide a spark late in the game. Although from Gvg's training observations it doesn't sound like he will be ready this week.

Mofra
04-09-2024, 02:29 PM
JJ could also be a candidate for the sub role given his ability to play a few different positions, his experience and pace/run and carry that could provide a spark late in the game. Although from Gvg's training observations it doesn't sound like he will be ready this week.
I actually like Caleb as the sub - he can play in all parts of the ground of need be, and his kicking in traffic can be useful as the game wears on and gaps start to appear in an opposition zone

comrade
04-09-2024, 02:32 PM
I really don't want Arty picked ahead of West. Can see Arty have more missed tackles than possessions.

bornadog
04-09-2024, 02:45 PM
I really don't want Arty picked ahead of West. Can see Arty have more missed tackles than possessions.

West is an interesting one. He almost deserves to play as he has played most games this year and can be dangerous up forward with 25 goals and 15 assists, however, his last few AFL games, and last weeks VFL game, he hasn't played well.

mighty_west
04-09-2024, 03:16 PM
West is an interesting one. He almost deserves to play as he has played most games this year and can be dangerous up forward with 25 goals and 15 assists, however, his last few AFL games, and last weeks VFL game, he hasn't played well.

If i'm Hawthorn, i would MUCH rather Jones playing ahead of West, he's a proven goal kicker this season and can have a run in the middle if needed too.

mjp
04-09-2024, 03:50 PM
If i'm Hawthorn, i would MUCH rather Jones playing ahead of West, he's a proven goal kicker this season and can have a run in the middle if needed too.

West is a smart defensive forward as well and has regularly shown the ability to limit running half-backs.

I just don't see why he wouldn't be an almost automatic selection...I mean, he hasn't been great the last couple but he surely has some credits from the season...

The Bulldogs Bite
04-09-2024, 04:25 PM
Yeah, with the clear sight of day, West has to play. You've gotta back the player in who has done the job for 90% of the year. His last 3 weren't great, but he would know that, and at his best he can make a genuine difference.

Out: Arty
In: West

Too many risks with JJ and not enough footy under his belt. He just isn't the automatic selection he once was. Harmes must be close but who does he dislodge? I'd pick him over Gallagher, but suspect we won't.

Axe Man
04-09-2024, 05:14 PM
AFL finals track watch: Adam Treloar and Laitham Vandermeer set to play, Rhylee West in doubt (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-finals-track-watch-adam-treloar-and-laitham-vandermeer-set-to-play-rhylee-west-in-doubt/news-story/a679b876c2cf94d4201c24feca2079e4)

A sweet goal from the 50m line has surely sealed Adam Treloar’s spot in Friday’s elimination final as Laitham Vandermeer also got through training without concern.

Treloar (calf) and Vandermeer (hamstring) were both expected to be fit to face the Hawks in the MCG blockbuster and completed Wednesday’s main session without concern.

Treloar trained with his left calf heavily strapped and moved well.

Vandermeer was the last man on track but had no concerns during a blustery session at Whitten Oval.

The Dogs have been weighing up whether to bring Rhylee West (jaw) back into the team to face Hawthorn and little was given away in a drill covering two thirds of the field.

Most of the first-choice Dogs played on one team against those wearing bibs and West was in a bib.

But so was Arthur Jones, who was the starting substitute in round 24 against GWS.

Jack Macrae also wore a bib in that drill, while Lachie McNeil maintained his spot in ‘probables’ forward half, alongside Vandermeer and the first-choice forwards.

It was in this drill that Treloar kicked a beautiful set shot from the flank, navigating the breeze to carry the goal line with a kick that travelled 55m.

As always, Bailey Smith remained a focus at training even when he was on the sidelines.

Fully expected to seek a trade to Geelong at the end of the season, Smith joined in some early drills before drifting off to do a lengthy running session as part of the rehab on his knee injury.

Dogs coach Luke Beveridge said before training the club was in no mood to push Smith to the line to play in the finals, despite Carlton naming Sam Docherty to play this week, when he suffered a similar knee injury three months after Smith.

Norm Smith medallist Jason Johannisen joined Smith for the running session away from the main group.

He has not played since round 9 due to a calf injury and now appears certain to sit out the remainder of the season.

First-year Dog Ryley Sanders also completed running instead of taking on the main drill.

The wind did not stop a smattering of diehard Dogs fans from watching training on Wednesday, with cricketing great Simon O’Donnell taking in the session from a grandstand, with his son James to play in defence on Friday.

Just one brave Hawthorn fan wore a scarf for the session, prompting comments from one opposing fan about “that Hawthorn girl”.

bornadog
04-09-2024, 05:32 PM
Yeah, with the clear sight of day, West has to play. You've gotta back the player in who has done the job for 90% of the year. His last 3 weren't great, but he would know that, and at his best he can make a genuine difference.

Too many risks with JJ and not enough footy under his belt. He just isn't the automatic selection he once was. Harmes must be close but who does he dislodge? I'd pick him over Gallagher, but suspect we won't.

Yes I agree Harmes over Gallagher

PR0408
04-09-2024, 05:35 PM
Yes I agree Harmes over Gallagher

It should be west over arty and harmes for gags but I believe it will be Harmes for arty.
West Very very stiff

bornadog
04-09-2024, 05:40 PM
It should be west over arty and harmes for gags but I believe it will be Harmes for arty.
West Very very stiff

Yeah that was my thoughts too

My gut feeling is:

In Harmes, out Arty.

MrMahatma
04-09-2024, 05:49 PM
Harmes and West for Arty and Gags, and our ability to stick a tackle goes way up. Our leg speed drops though.... but I think sticking tackles is more important.

bornadog
04-09-2024, 05:50 PM
Harmes and West for Arty and Gags, and our ability to stick a tackle goes way up. Our leg speed drops though.... but I think sticking tackles is more important.

Harmes has speed

GVGjr
04-09-2024, 07:18 PM
I heard that Cam McKenzie did a hamstring today so he's out for the Hawks. He's played 20 senior games this season for them.

The Adelaide Connection
04-09-2024, 07:40 PM
I heard that Cam McKenzie did a hamstring today so he's out for the Hawks. He's played 20 senior games this season for them.

That is brutal luck. I haven?t seen a lot of him, but from all reports is a good user and helps balance their midfield.

GVGjr
04-09-2024, 07:57 PM
That is brutal luck. I haven?t seen a lot of him, but from all reports is a good user and helps balance their midfield.

Grantyghost rates him highly, made the call very early on.

The Underdog
05-09-2024, 12:42 PM
harmes has speed

must…not..make…the…joke

Plums
05-09-2024, 12:52 PM

It would be a shame if westy didn't get picked after being a consistently good performer except his last few games. His toughness will be a good help tomorrow with the wet weather.

comrade
05-09-2024, 12:55 PM
It would be a shame if westy didn't get picked after being a consistently good performer except his last few games. His toughness will be a good help tomorrow with the wet weather.

Harmes or West is a wash for me. West has struggled for weeks and looked so poor on the weekend, bad habits have started creeping back in. Harmes would have been playing at AFL level if not for injury. As long as one of them is in for Arty, I?m ok with it.

Go_Dogs
05-09-2024, 01:22 PM
Arty v Harmes v West seems a likely scenario playing out right now.

West has the runs on the board across the season however had a few quieter weeks before missing with injury. I suspect the pass mark for him last week in the VFL was to “get through” however form of his peers competing for the spot has intensified. He’d be unlucky to miss in many ways, but next man up and if you aren’t one of the first 10 picked each week, you can have to knock the door down to get back in.

Harmes was brought into the side for these exact moments. A hardened body who can run and impact the scoreboard while playing defensive roles and having a team first mentality. Sounds like West in a number of ways, but has more experience. He’s hit form at the right time and must be under strong consideration.

Arty - has come from nowhere after getting on the end of a nice goal at the right moment and the perception his forward half pressure and chasing makes us a better side. For me he’s more likely a VDM coverage if he’s out injured than a West/Harmes spot, but who knows. I’m optimistic about Arty developing as a footballer albeit a slow burn. I’m less optimistic about him making a difference (or more of a difference) than either West or Harmes can tomorrow night.

What would I do? I’d probably reward Harmes to knocked the door down last week.

angelopetraglia
05-09-2024, 03:36 PM
THE WESTERN Bulldogs have produced a selection surprise by recalling midfield recruit James Harmes for Friday night's elimination final against Hawthorn at the MCG. (Josh Gabelich)

Source: https://www.afl.com.au/news/1211855

bulldogsthru&thru
05-09-2024, 03:44 PM
THE WESTERN Bulldogs have produced a selection surprise by recalling midfield recruit James Harmes for Friday night's elimination final against Hawthorn at the MCG. (Josh Gabelich)

Sounds like it'll be Harmes for Jones.

Happy Days
05-09-2024, 03:44 PM
Bevo is gonna kill somebody maybe

bulldogsthru&thru
05-09-2024, 03:50 PM
We're a bit light on for small forwards.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-09-2024, 03:51 PM
Bevo is gonna kill somebody maybe

Rhylee West? Or Senior West?

Michael Talia 2.0

I am kidding of course. I don't think this changes anything for the hawks.

Plums
05-09-2024, 04:07 PM

Harmes is finals battle hardened and an all around tough player. With wet conditions he's a great choice to beat some hawks up that don't have that experience.

josie
05-09-2024, 04:14 PM
I just pray VDM hammy & Harmes’s too & Treloar’s calf hold up.

Go Dogs!!

comrade
05-09-2024, 04:30 PM
Harmes to jump in Sicily?s shorts all night.

Happy Days
05-09-2024, 04:34 PM
Harmes to jump in Sicily?s shorts all night.

I?m scared this will activate Sicily?s trap card and that we should send him to the much more bashable Weddle instead.

The Underdog
05-09-2024, 04:40 PM
I?m scared this will activate Sicily?s trap card and that we should send him to the much more bashable Weddle instead.

Surely Laith just being in Sicily’s vicinity trying to get him to start a fight for 4 quarters is the tactic.

ReLoad
05-09-2024, 05:06 PM
if its happening its a great move, We're about to go full Bevo!

westbulldog
05-09-2024, 05:10 PM
Hawthorn like to run from the backline so stop Impey and co and we are half way there. if English runs Meek ragged around the ground that is also a big plus.

The Adelaide Connection
05-09-2024, 07:11 PM
The Harmes call makes even more sense when you consider his MCG experience.

GVGjr
05-09-2024, 07:21 PM
In Harmes out A.Jones

bornadog
05-09-2024, 07:21 PM
Tough for West

GVGjr
05-09-2024, 07:23 PM
Tough for West

I still think he is a decent chance to be in the 23 but getting injured and dropping in the form line late in the season is problematic

The Pie Man
05-09-2024, 07:24 PM
Harmes for Gallagher felt like the move.
Really surprised one of Arty or West hasn’t been included.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-09-2024, 07:26 PM
Harmes for Gallagher felt like the move.
Really surprised one of Arty or West hasn’t been included.

I don't have an issue with Harmes coming in. It just feels like we're a small forward short.

Happy Days
05-09-2024, 07:36 PM
Gallagher over West is a bad call. I just don’t see what role Gags has that helps us win.

comrade
05-09-2024, 07:37 PM
Gallagher over West is a bad call. I just don’t see what role Gags has that helps us win.

Yeah, I'd happily make that change. They obviously have a role in mind for him.

azabob
05-09-2024, 07:40 PM
I would have had Harmes and West in for Gallagher and Jones.

I don’t trust VDM to execute a negating role on Sicily.

Bullies
05-09-2024, 07:41 PM
Gallagher over West is a bad call. I just don’t see what role Gags has that helps us win. I like West but his game in the 2's last week was ordinary. Big role for McNeill as the small forward.

azabob
05-09-2024, 07:41 PM
Anyone check Scott West socials for feedback on match committee?

comrade
05-09-2024, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if there was a late change.

azabob
05-09-2024, 07:44 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if there was a late change.

I was thinking the same thing but gee it’s not in Bevo MO to do so.

Funke disco
05-09-2024, 07:47 PM
Sorry to provide intel from BF but a regular poster who has inside intel and said Harmes for Jones last night also said Traelor didn't complete/partake in the captains run

jazzadogs
05-09-2024, 07:50 PM
I'm okay with it.
West is very unlucky, but if they think VDM and McNeill are fit I can see the reasoning.
Harmes has the finals history and is a reliable finisher I think? Plus loving the scrap/contest. Defensive player to throw in for a few CBAs if needed.
With JJ not deemed ready, no arguments with the defensive group.

comrade
05-09-2024, 07:51 PM
Sorry to provide intel from BF but a regular poster who has inside intel and said Harmes for Jones last night also said Traelor didn't complete/partake in the captains run

He?s in the group photo from the session wearing a GPS top, so he was definitely present. But yes, there is plenty of smoke around Adz.

Angak
05-09-2024, 07:51 PM
Apparently Treloar is only 50/50 to play even after the teams have been named. One to keep an eye out for

BornInDroopSt'54
05-09-2024, 08:10 PM
If Treloar is a late out, who comes in?
Must be from named squad.

jazzadogs
05-09-2024, 08:11 PM
If Treloar is a late out, who comes in?
Must be from named squad.

Would have to be West in, with Macrae/Harmes/West covering the CBAs.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-09-2024, 08:19 PM
Treloar would be a big out. Hope he's right to go.

Like Harmes inclusion, but as per others, I'd rather West in and Gallagher out.

Perhaps it is an indication that we want Gallagher's speed with Treloar unlikely.

bornadog
05-09-2024, 08:28 PM

Yeah, I'd happily make that change. They obviously have a role in mind for him.
agree

Mantis
05-09-2024, 08:38 PM
I am challenged by Gallagher playing, and a few others but as others have mentioned nit-picking over the bottom 3 or 4 will matter for little if we get a good spread of contributors.

If our best 12-14 play well we will win comfortably and the rest can come along for the ride.

Bumper Bulldogs
05-09-2024, 10:56 PM
I?m devastated that West isn?t playing. Other than an injury he needs to be in the side. Pressure, forward craft and the little blocks and Buzz he creates is infectious. He has aggression and can finish. Please can some one actually explain how McNeil or Gags actually add more value than Ryley.

FrediKanoute
05-09-2024, 11:16 PM
I?m devastated that West isn?t playing. Other than an injury he needs to be in the side. Pressure, forward craft and the little blocks and Buzz he creates is infectious. He has aggression and can finish. Please can some one actually explain how McNeil or Gags actually add more value than Ryley.

Speed. They have pace. I agree West is a tough out.

The Adelaide Connection
05-09-2024, 11:28 PM

He does have a broken jaw though, right? Maybe he just isn?t quite right yet.

bornadog
06-09-2024, 12:02 AM
Since we played the Hawks last time:

In Weightman Lobb McNeil Daniel Freijah

Out: Clarke Khamis Baker JJ and Garcia

kruder
06-09-2024, 10:16 AM
Any chance Treloar misses considering Macrae and Harmes on the pine?

bornadog
06-09-2024, 10:18 AM

I don't think so. Moved ok on Wednesday at the main training session.

angelopetraglia
06-09-2024, 10:20 AM

Looking at how much strapping there was on his calf last night, he has to be a chance to miss. I'm absolutely no expert, but I do a decent amount of running and calf injuries are b$%# to get right. Especially as you get older.

Pleather Sole
06-09-2024, 12:08 PM
He does have a broken jaw though, right? Maybe he just isn?t quite right yet.

The photos of him yesterday his face looks swollen. Wouldn't be unusual to not be fully recovered from jaw surgery less than 3 weeks ago.

Happy Days
06-09-2024, 12:13 PM
He played VFL last week? He’s fine and should be playing.