PDA

View Full Version : How to beat the Hawks. - Finals edition

ReLoad
27-08-2024, 09:02 AM
What is the chink in their Armour?

They are about as even a team as there is, in terms of there isn't a mega star in their ranks, that makes it hard to get into just stopping one single player.

I think our forwards have them well covered, but the real question is how do we stop their leg speed, spread from the contest and 12 really good avenues to goal?

They remind me a lot of the '97 Bulldogs in how they are going about it.

So woofers brains trust, how do we do it?

Happy Days
27-08-2024, 10:06 AM
I rewatched the Kayo mini of our first game with them this year yesterday. It really felt like the last game played by the “old” Bulldogs from 2023, who start incredibly fast and then seem to stop going all out once they’ve proven to themselves that they’re the better team. I don’t think a ton can be taken from that game.

Having said that, I’m concerned about our lack of a second true/good small defender against Watson/Moore/Ginnivan. I don’t like the idea of JJ coming in coldish but the back 6 from the weekend is probably one tall too many.

comrade
27-08-2024, 10:11 AM
I rewatched the Kayo mini of our first game with them this year yesterday. It really felt like the last game played by the “old” Bulldogs from 2023, who start incredibly fast and then seem to stop going all out once they’ve proven to themselves that they’re the better team. I don’t think a ton can be taken from that game.

Having said that, I’m concerned about our lack of a second true/good small defender against Watson/Moore/Ginnivan. I don’t like the idea of JJ coming in coldish but the back 6 from the weekend is probably one tall too many.

Can O?Donnell be given a smaller role?

SonofScray
27-08-2024, 10:12 AM
They are tougher and more plucky than we are.

I think they might be a bit like we were in 2015 come that final v Adelaide. Capable, storming towards something memorable against the odds but are going to get found out by a bit of extra maturity under the bright lights.

I think Hawthorn are harder, and faster than us. They also play with a greater sense of urgency and swagger. We will probably put our nose to the grindstone, numbers at the contest and won't let them just have it on their terms getting the ball in motion.

We went into this season expecting to beat teams like the Hawks, rightfully so. They've improved heaps, but I think that expectation still holds true.

bulldogtragic
27-08-2024, 10:27 AM
Line ups from the weekend - assuming no changes for either side:

FB: Josh Weddle, Sam Frost, Jarman Impey
FF: Sam Darcy, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Laitham VDM

HB: D'Ambrosio, James Sicily, Harry Morrison
HF: Cody Weightman, Aaron Naughton, Lachie McNeil

C: Conner Nash, Blake Hardwick, Karl Amon
C: Bailey Williams, Tom Liberatore, Caleb Daniel

HF: Jack Gunston, Calsher Dear, Jack Ginnivan
HB: James O?D, Liam Jones, Lachlan Bramble

F: James Worpel, Mabior Chol, Nick Watson
B: Bailey Dale, Rory Lobb, Taylor Duryea

R: Lloyd Meek, Dylan Moore, Jai Newcombe
R: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Adam Treloar

I: Jack Scrimshaw, Finn Maginness, Cam Mackenzie, Connor Macdonald, (S) Luke Bruest
I: Ed Richards, Harvey Gallagher, Jack Macrae, Joel Freijah, (S) Arty Jones

I think we match up pretty well. If we come to play we should be a strong chance.

They might send Macguiness to Dale. We should send someone to Weddle. Harmes could be a strong chance if he comes in. Not sure if West will be fit.

I see them a bit like us in 2015. Arguably got here a bit early and we just need to keep the pressure up to the last minute and hope our experience and leaders can do enough when it counts. And kick straight.

GVGjr
27-08-2024, 10:45 AM
Impey and Weddle really attacked our forwards by running off them whenever they could when we played them earlier in the year.
Stopping from happening again will go a long way.
They'll do some tagging as well. It's going to be a tough test but we need to dominate them in the midfield.

Sedat
27-08-2024, 10:49 AM
Meek is probably the most important player in this final - he gets them going in the middle and allows the likes of Warpel and Newcombe (obviously Day as well if he plays) to win clearance and feed it outside to their runners. We need English to compete as strongly as possible to ensure they don't get clean first use out of the middle. Then we need English to get his skates on and run Meek into the ground, which he is very capable of doing.

Goes without saying that we need to be less careless with the ball than we were against them earlier this season. We gifted them something like 13 turnover goals out of 15, and I think 10 of those from our back half under no pressure, which nobody can defend against. If we tidy this up (as we should), and also give our forwards plenty of decent supply I don't think they can beat us.

hujsh
27-08-2024, 10:57 AM
Meek is probably the most important player in this final - he gets them going in the middle and allows the likes of Warpel and Newcombe to win clearance and feed it outside to their runners (obviously Day as well if he plays). We need English to compete as strongly as possible to ensure they don't get first use out of the middle. Then we need English to get his skates on and run Meek into the ground, which he is very capable of doing.

Goes without saying that we need to be less careless with the ball than we were against them earlier this season. We gifted them something like 13 turnover goals out of 15, and I think 10 of those from our back half under no pressure, which nobody can defend against. If we tidy this up (as we should), and also give our forwards plenty of decent supply I don't think they can beat us.

Big game for English. A lot to prove. He got 5 years now he needs to show he deserves them

Bullies
27-08-2024, 11:06 AM
Our mids are a lot more seasoned than their mids and we have a bit more Finals experience as well.

We also have a different defensive structure as well than what we had the last time we played them.

They have beaten 1 top 8 in their last 10 games so have had a good draw. We have probably had a tougher lead up. I think we will go alright despite the hype around the Hawks.

Happy Days
27-08-2024, 11:15 AM
Can O?Donnell be given a smaller role?

Maybe on Ginnivan, who is actually pretty similar to Cody when you think about it.

We don’t have a real answer for Watson if Duryea plays on Moore though.

Happy Days
27-08-2024, 11:17 AM
Priority 1 is doing something about Weddle though. He’s like Nick Blakey but without that innate Nick Blakey quality that makes you think he’s actually bad.

Grantysghost
27-08-2024, 11:21 AM
Priority 1 is doing something about Weddle though. He’s like Nick Blakey but without that innate Nick Blakey quality that makes you think he’s actually bad.

Be interesting to see how we put time into some of their prime movers. I think they've escaped scrutiny in a way coming through unexpectedly the way they have.

I think there are opportunities to disrupt their game and I wonder how they would react to that.

I really think it's a bit of a water shed moment in AFL strategy. They play very similar to the Pies last season, have a similar dearth of tall talent (CHOL AND FROST FFS!!) and maximise the potential of the new rules to their fullest with a fleet of runners.

Happy Days
27-08-2024, 11:33 AM
Chol and Frost seem like jokes but they’re actually having stellar years. Frost has mercifully stopped trying to play beyond his limitations and has become a Prestigiacomo style statless blanket, and Chol is a perfect structural fit for their forward line as the world’s tallest small forward.

Hawks are good I think. It’s pretty annoying we have to play them.

bornadog
27-08-2024, 12:31 PM
Last Ten Games

Hawthorn

Tigers
Win 97-49

Eagles
Win 94-33

Cats
Loss 59-110

Dockers
Win 87-74

Magpies
Win 133-67

Crows
Win 124-58

Giants
Loss 82-84

Blues
Win 112-38

Tigers
Win 131-68

Kangaroos
Win 170-46

Western Bulldogs

Lions
Loss 71-114

Dockers
Win 149-82

Kangaroos
Win 77-60

Power
Loss 54-102

Blues
Win 100-86

Cats
Win 95-48

Swans
Win 87-48

Demons
Win 110-59

Crows
Loss 72-111

Kangaroos
Win 138-42

Giants
Win 98-61

Hawks 8 wins two losses with 1 win over top 8 side

Dogs 7 wins 3 losses but wins over 4 top 8 teams including top 3

We win this by doing what we are doing, winning clearances and cont. poss. Our rankings in these areas are superior to Hawks including centre clr and stoppage clr.

mjp
27-08-2024, 12:37 PM

He hasn't had more than 12-kicks in a game all year.
- Once against North last week.
- Against the Zombie Blues a couple of weeks ago.
- Back when they played Melbourne in round 2 or something and got killed.

He's averaging 8.09 kicks per game and he's been the same player since coming into the league (average of 7.9 kpg in 2023).

Are you guys watching Hawthorn or watching highlights (no disrespect intended) 'cos they aren't the same thing.

bornadog
27-08-2024, 12:38 PM

He's averaging 8.09 kicks per game and he's been the same player since coming into the league (average of 7.9 kpg in 2023).

Are you guys watching Hawthorn or watching highlights (no disrespect intended) 'cos they aren't the same thing.

Nah just listening to media hype:D

mjp
27-08-2024, 12:42 PM
Hawks 8 wins two losses with 1 win over top 8 side

Dogs 7 wins 3 losses but wins over 4 top 8 teams including top 3

We win this by doing what we are doing, winning clearances and cont. poss. Our rankings in these areas are superior to Hawks including centre clr and stoppage clr.

Without doing a stats deep dive like BAD has, we *SHOULD* absolutely BELT Hawthorn.

They are a nice team but they are a bunch of kids. They are weak in key positions - both forward and back - and whilst they are playing an exciting brand of footy with their foot to the floor running, we will force them into turnover and score on the way back. The one chance they have is to beat us on the inside, win stoppage and shorten the field...if we can't trust Bontempelli, Liberatore, Treloar English and Richards to take control of that area the way they did against Briggs, Green, Coniglio, Kelly et al last week well, I give up.

I'm not sure we're playing at the level Port Adelaide are right now but everyone involved in the club should be expecting to win this game and demanding a level of effort that makes it a certainty.

bornadog
27-08-2024, 12:49 PM
Without doing a stats deep dive like BAD has, we *SHOULD* absolutely BELT Hawthorn.

They are a nice team but they are a bunch of kids. They are weak in key positions - both forward and back - and whilst they are playing an exciting brand of footy with their foot to the floor running, we will force them into turnover and score on the way back. The one chance they have is to beat us on the inside, win stoppage and shorten the field...if we can't trust Bontempelli, Liberatore, Treloar English and Richards to take control of that area the way they did against Briggs, Green, Coniglio, Kelly et al last week well, I give up.

I'm not sure we're playing at the level Port Adelaide are right now but everyone involved in the club should be expecting to win this game and demanding a level of effort that makes it a certainty.

We are also the number 1 defensive team (based on points leaked) and number 2 for points kicked.

Agree, the mids must control the game.

hujsh
27-08-2024, 01:56 PM

I watch their goal celebrations on a loop

Happy Days
27-08-2024, 02:00 PM

I only watch their brain rot TikToks so it?s a fair criticism. Still think he?s a very damaging player though, as well as one that could be curbed.

hujsh
27-08-2024, 02:43 PM
I'm considering doing something unthinkable and actually watching a Hawks game we aren't involved in. The GWS one.

Before I do that my general thoughts are that we win this pretty much the same way we have won all our non-Adelaide games. We have great mids but when they don't win the ball we don't give them easy entry into the f50. We force turnovers with pressure and allow the triple team of Jones, Lobb and JOD to own the resulting contest. If the ball spills we're stuffed with the Hawks small. If we don't pressure we're stuffed no matter who we play.

Without any strong marking threat up forward if we aren't intercepting, the ball should be going over the boundary line at minimum. I don't want to see Chol tapping it down to Watson. Chol shouldn't be allowed to even get to the contest.

The main guys to cash in against us are Georgiadis, Fogarty and mids (JUF and Keys). Not sure who the best comparison to they are for the Hawks but I'm also not entirely sure they cash in without good KPF support.

Going forward we should have someone that can have a big day. Their key defenders are Frost and Sicily. That's already undersized before we get to our 3rd tall forward. Just have to be smart and not kick in hope expecting the weight of tall numbers to win out which to be fair we've done much less of lately.

Their mids do worry me. Not because they're amazing but because they kind of have the wood on us the last couple matches. A fully fit Libba will hopefully have a role to play here to make sure we aren't bullied by Newcome et all. We should be doing the bullying being more experienced but that's not always the way it goes and I expect Meek to give them more first looks at it than we get from English.

English's time is now. Hasn't ever really had a big final. Show us you're not a white elephant. Don't Gary Rohan your career.

Axe Man
27-08-2024, 03:00 PM
I'm considering doing something unthinkable and actually watching a Hawks game we aren't involved in. The GWS one.

I watched some of that game at the time and the Hawks were all over them during the second and third quarters. Come the last they just stopped and GWS were moving the ball end to end at will all of a sudden.

Mofra
27-08-2024, 03:13 PM
We were close to the Hawks earlier in the year when we were playing terribly, and they had their best player (Day) in.
Day is touch and go to be in, and we've since completely changed our defence with Lobb and Freijah giving it a very fresh look.

Sicily is the player in their defence we need to watch, not any player that runs the ball out. Our normal system stops run, but we always have to put work into the intercept marking types as traditionally they are the players that cause us issues.
Whenever we stop them (McGivern/Stewart/Sicily) we win.

DOG GOD
27-08-2024, 05:45 PM
The trio of Watson, ginnivan and Moore worries me. I don’t think we have the backs to match their pace.
Let’s be honest. Chol is a hack, and we have the ability to make these types like Wayne Carey.
To win this game we simply have to keep it out of Hawks 50. Plain and simple.

I’m also concerned with the run Hawks might get IF we aren’t taking marks in our 50. Schrimsaw, D’ambrosio have been fantastic for them, and we certainly can’t have Sicily taking 10+ contested marks.

They really look good on the G. Move the ball quick. They are really playing a fast, kamikaze style. Their young kids are very confident and are playing like “instagram” elite.

Our start will be very important. We have to negate their early celebrations.

The mids will say a lot. We have to win and get the ball quickly to our 3 talls. If we go the bombing route and can’t mark it, then Impey, Schrimsaw and d’ambrosia will just run it out, come thru the guts, where you’ll pretty much find chol, Watson and ginnivan ready to pounce.

If it was at Marvel, I’d be a little more confident, but in reality we aren’t a quick team, and their pace at the G worries me greatly. We have to slow them down when they have the ball. We have to make them kick down the line and either take defensive marks or make stoppages. If they get a running game going, we are screwed.

My 2 cents.

bulldogsthru&thru
27-08-2024, 06:11 PM
Well, the good thing is we have 2 weeks to prepare for them.

I'm fairly confident that if we come to play like we did on Sunday, we'll win. This group has taken the next step this season. Time to back it up on the big stage.

bornadog
27-08-2024, 08:19 PM
Well, the good thing is we have 2 weeks to prepare for them.

I'm fairly confident that if we come to play like we did on Sunday, we'll win. This group has taken the next step this season. Time to back it up on the big stage.

The pressure we have brought lately has been incredible. We just have to keep it up.

Bullies
27-08-2024, 09:06 PM
I watched some of that game at the time and the Hawks were all over them during the second and third quarters. Come the last they just stopped and GWS were moving the ball end to end at will all of a sudden. They try and save games when it gets close rather than going all out to win. (See Port and GWS). For whatever reason they stop their run and gun. If it is a close one with their inexperience i will back us in on the big stage.

merantau
27-08-2024, 09:26 PM
Big game for English. A lot to prove. He got 5 years now he needs to show he deserves them

English was very poor against Meek in Round 8. I remember one incident when he allowed Meek to run down to the goal square. English looked on from 60mts away. The ball was kicked to the square, Meek knocked it down to one of their smalls who slotted a goal. Another occasion he was dispossessed by Newcomb and a Hawthorn goal resulted. We cannot have such a lacklustre game from him again and I'm sure Bevo will remind him of that. English has been very good for the last 7 weeks apart from v the Crows.

Mantis
28-08-2024, 09:11 AM
English was very poor against Meek in Round 8. I remember one incident when he allowed Meek to run down to the goal square. English looked on from 60mts away. The ball was kicked to the square, Meek knocked it down to one of their smalls who slotted a goal. Another occasion he was dispossessed by Newcomb and a Hawthorn goal resulted. We cannot have such a lacklustre game from him again and I'm sure Bevo will remind him of that. English has been very good for the last 7 weeks apart from v the Crows.

... when he was clearly hobbled.

Can Bar
28-08-2024, 09:46 AM
If Hawks apply a Tag to Bont. it tells me they believe their remaining 17 on the field are better than our remaining 17 with our best player taken out. Personally I hate taggers and believe the best way to negate them is Tag the tagger. Stop them from doing their job. Then they have to mentally deal with the fact our 17 remaining players are better.

cinder
28-08-2024, 09:50 AM
Not sure if there's going to be a finals ticketing thread but for those buying tickets this morning, the Bulldogs' end is the M33 end. Good luck!

Bigdog
28-08-2024, 10:58 AM
Thought we lost against Hawthorn at the Selection Table last time. Buku was exposed 1v1 against Sicily and Charlie Clarke wasn?t ready to contribute.

In terms of stopping the hawks it?s probably pretty simple.

1) Stifle their ball use off half back. Impy was clearly the most important player on the field last time we played them. Need to work away to curtail him. I?m thinking McNeil is probably the man in a defensive forward role. We also need to apply some serious pressure forward of centre and lock the ball in. We have had trouble doing this against the faster teams ie Adelaide.

2) Halve the ruck battle. From what I have seen of Meek his tap work is very very good. He get hit outs to advantage. Tim needs to be physical and prevent meek serving it on a platter to his mids.

3) Tackling technique has to be spot on forward of centre. They play for frees. We have to tackle low. This should be a focus at training. 3-4 goals in a final from free kicks will be the difference if we don?t.

4) Our big guys need to take advantage of forward entries. If there is one way to get the hawks it?s an undersized defence. Darcy, JUH and Naughton should be primed for big games.

I feel good about this game. We just need to stop their run.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-08-2024, 11:01 AM
Not sure if there's going to be a finals ticketing thread but for those buying tickets this morning, the Bulldogs' end is the M33 end. Good luck!

Looks like a new dumb queue system has been implemented....

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2024, 11:02 AM
Looks like a new dumb queue system has been implemented....

Yep. Hopeless.

20000 people ahead of me.

Grantysghost
28-08-2024, 11:03 AM
Im 6471 st in the queue

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2024, 11:04 AM
I'm not willing to risk it but I bet if I drop out and go back I'd somehow be miles ahead in the queue.

Grantysghost
28-08-2024, 11:07 AM
I'm not willing to risk it but I bet if I drop out and go back I'd somehow be miles ahead in the queue.

I did that in another browser. Was 18,000th.

I suggest the numbers are inflated by the fact people sometimes have more than one browser going at a time.

azabob
28-08-2024, 11:18 AM
My barcode is not working...

The Bulldogs Bite
28-08-2024, 11:18 AM
Why won't my barcode work!?

Grantysghost
28-08-2024, 11:26 AM
Use the barcode from the email.

I got mine lvl 1 olympic m55

It wasn't easy to get what I wanted, and ended up missing out on lvl 2 because i was trying to get better seats than what they gave me.

Now I recall how shit getting finals tickets is.

Vred
28-08-2024, 11:27 AM
Why won't my barcode work!?

Call the club asap.
Bunch of people across the socials are reporting the barcodes that the club emailed out aren't working, so get in contact as soon as you can.
Also, tickettek is much better on a computer than the apps, the apps are completely screwed.

Axe Man
28-08-2024, 11:30 AM
One of my barcodes didn't work, had to make do with what I could get. In M15, lost better seats while I was panicking, making phone calls trying to figure out what to do. What a shitshow.

Mantis
28-08-2024, 11:34 AM
I generally wait a few days to get my tickets as they give out the shit ones first and I generally get lvl 2 or 2a later on, but the fact it's been 8 years since a Bulldogs Melb final and I'm taking my 8yo to his first final has me in a state of confusion.

Lucky time is one my side with 10000+ people in front of me!

The Bulldogs Bite
28-08-2024, 11:35 AM
Cant even ****ing call anyone at the club... it continually redirects.

azabob
28-08-2024, 11:39 AM

mate try going in again. I did and got tickets. I had teh barcode issue.

Grantysghost
28-08-2024, 11:40 AM

Make sure you're not putting the prefix from the email. The ad for example for adult. Just use the numbers.

Just in case this is your issue.

The barcode on the cards and the email is the same too.

Vred
28-08-2024, 11:44 AM
Hearing that all members reserved tickets are sold, so if you didn't get in gotta wait the hour or so for public sale.

Axe Man
28-08-2024, 11:44 AM
I retried my "invalid" barcode and it's still not working.

Axe Man
28-08-2024, 11:45 AM
Hearing that all members reserved tickets are sold, so if you didn't get in gotta wait the hour or so for public sale.

Public sale is at 3pm.

Vred
28-08-2024, 11:46 AM
Public sale is at 3pm.

Thank you, my bad. Will let some people know.

Grantysghost
28-08-2024, 11:46 AM

Wow - that's so bad.

THEY HAD ONE JOB!

As long as all the $1 members get their tickets hey!

Grantysghost
28-08-2024, 11:47 AM

Wow - it's going to be massive crowd I think.

Mantis
28-08-2024, 11:49 AM

Looks that way... I was in the queue of 20000+ members and when I got to the front of the queue the next page wouldn't load.

What a complete ****ing mess!

The Bulldogs Bite
28-08-2024, 11:50 AM
What a ****ing joke.

Grantysghost
28-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Looks that way... I was in the queue of 20000+ members and when I got to the front of the queue the next page wouldn't load.

What a complete ****ing mess!

Fmd.

That's shithouse.

Vred
28-08-2024, 11:55 AM
Keep trying, just had a mate manage to get some tickets in the nosebleed. Seems like L2 and L1 are all gone.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2024, 11:56 AM
One of my barcodes didn't work, had to make do with what I could get. In M15, lost better seats while I was panicking, making phone calls trying to figure out what to do. What a shitshow.

Yeah I panicked and ended up settling for best available in l4.

bornadog
28-08-2024, 11:56 AM
I got an email during the week with barcodes, then Got a text this morning and the barcode was different. My mate is getting the tickets but not sure what has happened as I am at a conference and haven?t heard from him

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2024, 12:00 PM
I think there's still plenty of seats if you're willing to go lvl4

hujsh
28-08-2024, 12:03 PM
So what I'm hearing is we beat the Hawks by filling the stadium with Dogs fans

Eastdog
28-08-2024, 12:08 PM
Got in on the computer and secured my ticket M34. Had issues at the start with my barcode on both the computer and phone saying it was invalid.

For woofers that haven't got in yet keep trying.

Same old Ticketek.

Happy Days
28-08-2024, 12:10 PM
I am mercifully, finally, going to this game. It’s admittedly been like 8 years since I’ve had to do this but I don’t remember it being that painful.

comrade
28-08-2024, 12:15 PM
I had to get 3 seats together so I'm up in the nosebleeds.

Oh well, another final at the G! Let's ****ing go!

Prince Imperial
28-08-2024, 12:32 PM
I tried on my Android phone and tablet but several times it froze when I selected Public Reserve and the site would not let me enter my barcode.

After a copious amount of the vilest language ever known to man, I was able to use my partner's IPAD and after waiting in the queue there was no issue and I obtained a Level 1 seat close to where I sat in the 2016 semi final. Let's hope it's the same result.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-08-2024, 12:46 PM
Level 4 row F. Pretty livid.

The fact some 3-game members or $1 members will have better seats than a 33+ year member is ridiculous.

Smads57
28-08-2024, 12:52 PM
I’m an AFL member so tix go on sale in 10 mins. Likely have same issues as suspect a lot of Hawks fans are also AFL members as an overhang from when they played at VFL Park. Here goes….

cinder
28-08-2024, 12:52 PM
A complete nightmare. That is the last time I volunteer to get tickets for our whole clan (8 people). I kept getting offered the other side of the ground to WB end, and didn't want that, then that got exhausted, time ran out, back in queue, rinse and repeat. Had to drop down to 4 people to get M36 (snagged that), then same again with 2 people but few rows back. The other 2 unfortunately could only get L4 Q30. If I hadn't wasted so much time trying to do 8, I could have done better, but oh well. My head hurts.

Prince Imperial
28-08-2024, 12:53 PM
I tried on my Android phone and tablet but several times it froze when I selected Public Reserve and the site would not let me enter my barcode.

After a copious amount of the vilest language ever known to man, I was able to use my partner's IPAD and after waiting in the queue there was no issue and I obtained a Level 1 seat close to where I sat in the 2016 semi final. Let's hope it's the same result.

After further research and experiment, I have deduced that the issue was probably being caused by using the Ticketek app.

Useless *****s. They never improve.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2024, 12:54 PM
I actually enjoy sitting a little higher up to watch the game unfold so lvl 4 doesn't bother me.

The process though is a nightmare.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2024, 12:56 PM
After further research and experiment, I have deduced that the issue was probably being caused by using the Ticketek app.

I never use apps for anything unless I absolutely have to. They are riddled with bugs, they track your phone usage, want to send notifications and drain the battery. I always opt for Web where possible.

cinder
28-08-2024, 01:02 PM
Use the barcode from the email.

I got mine lvl 1 olympic m55

It wasn't easy to get what I wanted, and ended up missing out on lvl 2 because i was trying to get better seats than what they gave me.

Now I recall how shit getting finals tickets is.

Yeah I am sure we used to be able to select the bay maybe? I kept getting given M6 (Level 1 goals) when I wanted something around the other side - our end

Eastdog
28-08-2024, 01:06 PM
Yeah I am sure we used to be able to select the bay maybe? I kept getting given M6 (Level 1 goals) when I wanted something around the other side - our end

I got M6 as well at first and then got to the Ponsford End M34 which is where I am.

Mantis
28-08-2024, 01:07 PM
I'm still yet to even be offered tickets so all those complaining about refusing tickets because they didn't meet their needs can politely get bent. ;)

Have had to re-join the queue so now in with 12000+ AFL members... FMD!

And boarding a flight in 10min so hopefully the queue moves quickly, or I'll have to try my luck with the public seats after 3pm

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2024, 01:09 PM
In my haste I accidentally purchased 1 ticket more than I needed. Thatll teach me for trying to do 2 things at once.

If anyone needs a ticket let me know. It is lvl 4.

cinder
28-08-2024, 01:09 PM
I'm still yet to even be offered tickets so all those complaining about refusing tickets because they didn't meet their needs can politely get bent. ;)

Have had to re-join the queue so now in with 12000+ AFL members... FMD!

And boarding a flight in 10min so hopefully the queue moves quickly, or I'll have to try my luck with the public seats after 3pm

That's fair!

Axe Man
28-08-2024, 01:12 PM

Yep, the barcodes not working was universal but the app had a whole range of it's own issues like not even being able to enter the barcode.

comrade
28-08-2024, 01:22 PM
I forgot about the stress of buying finals tickets.

A blessing and a curse.

cinder
28-08-2024, 01:27 PM
I forgot about the stress of buying finals tickets.

A blessing and a curse.

I had as well. What a rude awakening!

mjp
28-08-2024, 01:27 PM
Yep, the barcodes not working was universal but the app had a whole range of it's own issues like not even being able to enter the barcode.

I had a problem with that as well.

I found there were two different links inside the email from the club - one took me to the right spot (the link at the TOP of the email which said second elimination final), the other to a more 'generic' spot which wasn't really designed for me to enter a code (this link to rub salt in the wound said 'get your tickets').

I logged in early and played around a bit...was all good by the time the queue went live and no harm, no foul. I guess if we get past this I will know what I'm looking for and will be saved a bit of stress.

cinder
28-08-2024, 01:31 PM
I always have a notepad window open on PC with all the barcodes and just copy paste. I didn't use any link in the email but I think heaps of people had issues and maybe they used the links.

But yeah, doing 8 at once was a nightmare, 1 needed to be guest pass, was taking me forever to select all the right options before even being able to look for tickets.

Mantis
28-08-2024, 01:36 PM
My nightmare experience continues!

By the time I got to the point of selecting seats my allocated time had expired. Flight is now about to take off so I?ll try again when I reach my destination.

It shouldn?t be this hard.

comrade
28-08-2024, 01:43 PM
My nightmare experience continues!

By the time I got to the point of selecting seats my allocated time had expired. Flight is now about to take off so I?ll try again when I reach my destination.

It shouldn?t be this hard.

You'll probably end up with better seats that way anyway! Ticketek always gouges the early ticket buyers and gives them the shittiest seats possible because they know they'll just hoover them up regardless.

Bullies
28-08-2024, 02:02 PM
You'll probably end up with better seats that way anyway! Ticketek always gouges the early ticket buyers and gives them the shittiest seats possible because they know they'll just hoover them up regardless. Correct - i got Level 1 but NN in the seat rows. Wasn't even going to attempt to reject and get back in the mix again.

JanLorMill
28-08-2024, 02:02 PM
It took our group 3 hours to get tickets! Good to hear it wasn’t just us.

The Adelaide Connection
28-08-2024, 03:25 PM
I would love to know what split of tickets each team got. I am sure that the Carlton or Geelong fans don?t get 50% of the stadium in the first instance and I would argue as the ?Away? team the Hawks shouldn?t either.

Our members should be given 70-80% and then, in the event they are not snapped up, Hawks members should be given the chance to buy the leftover allocation before they go public.

This way there would be some kind of home team advantage there for us. It?s clear plenty of our members have missed out/ will be interesting to see what split of the Non-MCC/Afl members is dogs.

Mantis
28-08-2024, 04:24 PM
You'll probably end up with better seats that way anyway! Ticketek always gouges the early ticket buyers and gives them the shittiest seats possible because they know they'll just hoover them up regardless.

It's an awful process!

Trying again now and just over 13k in the queue. I might be sitting on the roof.

edit. finally made it to the front of the queue and I can't even buy 1 ticket... what a mess!

The Bulldogs Bite
28-08-2024, 07:13 PM
It's an awful process!

Trying again now and just over 13k in the queue. I might be sitting on the roof.

edit. finally made it to the front of the queue and I can't even buy 1 ticket... what a mess!

Rubbish system.

Did you end up getting anything?

Mantis
28-08-2024, 07:17 PM
Rubbish system.

Did you end up getting anything?

As per thread on the AFL page ( best seat in the house) I?ve purchased series tickets through North Melbourne FC.

So I?ll be there.

cinder
28-08-2024, 08:44 PM
As per thread on the AFL page ( best seat in the house) I?ve purchased series tickets through North Melbourne FC.

So I?ll be there.

Oops, didn't see that thread or I wouldn't have kicked off the ticket chat in here!

bornadog
28-08-2024, 09:08 PM
I have ended up with two tickets on level 4 through members tickets.

I tried to also get AFL members tickets and some how have bought two standing room tickets. I am not sure if they can be used by another person? Can I sell them

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2024, 09:21 PM

I tried to also get AFL members tickets and some how have bought two standing room tickets. I am not sure if they can be used by another person? Can I sell them

You could try ticketek marketplace if you got them from ticketek.

I also ended up with one extra that I'm going to have to sell.

bornadog
28-08-2024, 09:23 PM
You could try ticketek marketplace if you got them from ticketek.

I also ended up with one extra that I'm going to have to sell.

They won't accept them on market place

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2024, 09:30 PM
They won't accept them on market place

Is that because they're afl members? I've seen standing room tickets on there.

bornadog
29-08-2024, 12:26 AM
Is that because they're afl members? I've seen standing room tickets on there.

I think that is the reason

bornadog
29-08-2024, 12:26 AM
Anyone interested, please let me know.

Plums
29-08-2024, 10:52 AM

Technically you can't sell them but I have never encountered a ticket check for the person with AFL membership so you should be ok.

Go_Dogs
29-08-2024, 11:57 AM
Technically you can't sell them but I have never encountered a ticket check for the person with AFL membership so you should be ok.

I’ve seen it happen quite a few years ago now (pre Covid) but given no one gets physical membership cards anymore not sure how they can really do a check?

I managed to get tickets yesterday. l4, Q row B. Basically where I sat last time we played the hawks in a final at the G. Lovely.

comrade
29-08-2024, 12:04 PM
Ok, now tickets are sorted in one way or another let's get back to to the game itself. I wish it was tomorrow night!

Go_Dogs
29-08-2024, 12:47 PM
Good point. Got caught up in the ticket saga.

How to beat the Hawks?

I think our forward line is too dangerous in the air for their defence. If we can get enough clean ball, our tall forwards should get plenty of opportunity. Kicking straight will be the trick.

Our forward half pressure has improved a lot since we last played them - this should allow us to slow their transition game.

If we manage to do that, their collective of smart and clever small goal kickers potentially become less dangerous and we can control the airway down back too.

On paper, our midfield beats their midfield. We need to be mindful of Newcombe (who always seems to play well against us, tenacious and fast) and the fact they they’ll play a game looking to move the ball quickly from stoppage. Some of our structures of decent and having certain players come off the back half to support etc should prevent them from waltzing out when they win it. When we win it, we need to be able to leverage our pace - Treloar, Bont and Richards can hurt them from the stoppage if Libba is able to get some dominance at the coal face.

I’m expecting us to win comfortably if we play our best.

Plums
29-08-2024, 01:00 PM
We can't afford for the ball to hit the deck in our back 50 because their small's will tear us to pieces. Jones, Lobb and JOD need to all play well and intercept plenty of their entries to cut off their supply to their goal kickers.

I can't see their backline being able to contain the three headed Naughton-Darcy-JUH monster. Too much height, we just need to have decent supply and we should be ok.

comrade
29-08-2024, 01:04 PM
It all comes down to the midfield for me. The side that can gain territory via winning stoppage will probably win the game. Our tall forwards will be important if we do the work up field, but like in the Adelaide game, our mids just didn't do enough which meant our forward line was largely ineffectual (putting accuracy aside).

I can see us trying our hardest to really slow it down and turn it into a slog which will suit the inclusion of Macrae and Daniel. If the game is open with the ball pinging back and forth between the 50s and the stoppages aren't being generated, I think the coaching team will be concerned.

We also need to stick tackles and hunt in packs. Slipped tackles have killed us in our losses, and it's a mindset thing. Our pressure and tackling was incredibly vs the Giants. If we can replicate that, we'll go well.

hujsh
29-08-2024, 02:13 PM
I've seen a stat ranking thingo that has us as the best defensive team and 3rd for attack and Hawks as the best offensive team and 3rd for defence.

Historically you'd want to be the better defensive team in a final but eliminations finals are weird and it's even weirder that two teams with those kind of numbers aren't top 4.

Can Bar
29-08-2024, 05:10 PM
Hawks would have had an easier draw being a bottom 6 team. think they only played the Giants twice from the top 8. If the Dogs kick straight, we could see a blow out if they bring their 4th best performance for the year, factoring improvement in the next month.

chef
31-08-2024, 01:04 PM
Will Day ruled out. Nice.

hujsh
31-08-2024, 01:05 PM
Beat me to it

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1208285/hawks-young-gun-will-day-ruled-out-of-elimination-final

comrade
31-08-2024, 01:14 PM
Was hoping they'd roll the dice to be honest.