PDA

View Full Version : Bulldog legend - John Schultz passing

Doc26
01-09-2024, 12:59 PM
It is with sadness that I can confirm that our wonderful Bulldog legend has passed away over night.

EasternWest
01-09-2024, 01:20 PM
Vale, great man.

What a joy to watch his joy in 2016.

josie
01-09-2024, 01:29 PM
Gentleman John Schulz’s playing record confirms him as one of our all time greats.

I feel privileged to have met him, albeit briefly, a few times.

A club legend. Lovely bloke, old school charm and RWB through and through. Condolences to friends and family.

mighty_west
01-09-2024, 02:01 PM
Gentleman John, a sad day for the club, was just awesome seeing him on stage for the 2016 Premiership and then walking back down when the team all got up there, then standing in front giving the team a clap for what they just achieved for the club looking so damn proud of the boys.

Mantis
01-09-2024, 02:45 PM
Very sad news.

The way he was embraced as part of the club in his later years was very nice to see.

Hopefully we make his family proud with a performance fitting to a great man on Friday night.

Mofra
01-09-2024, 03:26 PM
Oh no! Gentleman John.
Such a part of Bulldogs folklore. Vale great man

bornadog
01-09-2024, 03:37 PM
R.I.P. a great person, a wonderful footballer and a Bulldog through and through.

Condolences to Family and friends.

merantau
01-09-2024, 04:52 PM
Sad news indeed. A great man, a Bulldog champion who will never be forgotten. It was wonderful to see him centre stage in 2016. He was a hero of mine when I first started following the Bulldogs. Condolences to family and friends. Vale John. You have left your mark on those who come after you.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-09-2024, 05:59 PM
One of the absolute top shelf legends of our club, both on and off the field.
I've always felt that guys like John personified the very best of what may me identify with the Bulldog narrative.

Scraggers
01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Vale John … such a great bloke.

Thank you for making my son feel so welcome in 2018 in the club rooms after the loss to Hawthorn. He was distraught and you took him under your wing and introduced him to every player. You made his whole trip to Melbourne worth while.

Condolences to family and friends xx

Uninformed
01-09-2024, 07:57 PM
Wonderful man. True gentleman from a time when that meant something.

Wonder who will rove to him in heaven?

ledge
01-09-2024, 08:50 PM
His funeral will be on the 17th at 2 pm and televised for those interested.
Hopefully he has some influence up there and get us another flag, I am sure he will be trying.

angelopetraglia
01-09-2024, 09:02 PM
https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2024/08/27/0650e465-b379-4ed5-97e6-a55c7d2ced63/GFSyWB16JW5454.jpg?width=1064&height=600

angelopetraglia
01-09-2024, 09:03 PM
RIP John Schultz. Bulldog royalty.

Eastdog
01-09-2024, 09:28 PM
RIP John Schultz.

Condolence to his family and friends.

A Bulldog legend. 1960 Brownlow Medallist, 1961 All Australian and a 5 time Charles Sutton Medallist.

Was a great moment when we won the flag in 2016 when he presented the cup.

Eastdog
01-09-2024, 09:59 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1644386/vale-john-schultz

From the club website:

Vale John Schultz
The Club would like to pay tribute to one of its greats, who has passed away at the age of 85.

The Western Bulldogs would like to pay tribute to one of the Club's greats, John Schultz, who has passed away at the age of 85.

'Gentleman John' was one of the Footscray Football Club's greatest ever players and was renowned for his integrity and fairness, a champion ruckman universally acclaimed for good tackling and elegant marking.

He played 188 games for Footscray and represented Victoria 24 times, winning a Brownlow Medal in 1960, All Australian honours in 1961, and five club best-and-fairest awards.

He was also Footscray's best player in their losing effort in the 1961 Grand Final and was named on the club's Team of the Century.

Later in life he was a proud representative and ambassador for the Club and an ever-present at Bulldogs matches, mentoring the club's coaching and playing groups.

Having been in the Bulldogs rooms for every game throughout the 2016 season, John had the appropriate honour of handing the Premiership cup to Easton Wood, Bob Murphy and Luke Beveridge when the flag drought was broken at the MCG.

The Club's annual community award is named in his honour, with Buku Khamis its most recent recipient for his efforts on behalf of the Western Bulldogs Community Foundation.

The Club would like to extend its condolences to Kaye, Wendy, Dianne, Jenny and all of John’s family and friends at this difficult time.

Glove38
02-09-2024, 07:17 PM
Genuine Legend on and off the field. Condolences to his family.
RIP Gentleman John

bornadog
02-09-2024, 09:31 PM
I had the pleasure of having a chat with John one evening a few years ago for over 30 minutes. I was at a Bulldogs business get together and most people had left around 9.30pm except myself, my mate, Rick Kennedy and John. My mate was in deep conversation with Rick and I chatted with John.

It was very surreal because as a kid, John was one of my favourite players, although I am talking when I was under ten and he was in his final years of playing so I can't even remember how he played. I know his record as a player was incredible and he was one of the best ruckman of his day, representing Victoria 24 times - a massive achievement. As per usual for Footscray players, the media didn't give him the accolades he deserved, but he was better than John Nichols or any other ruckman of the day. 1960 Brownlow medalist and 5 times B&F, plus AA.

John was a terrific person and it is sad he is gone but will never be forgotten. R.I.P

BornInDroopSt'54
03-09-2024, 12:22 PM
Like other Woofers old enough, John Schultz was my hero.
My older brother and I as young primary kidswould walk the back streets of Droop Street to get to the oval to see our team play and train.
On field Schultz was a giant of a strong man, using his strength to lean back on his opponent at throw ins and marking.
I was shocked to see a pained expression on his face when doing this, wasn't my hero having fun?
He was doing it for Footscray, the team and supporters, selfless.
His hosting of the young excited Queen Elizabeth with John as always balanced and composed was an iconic moment.
John has passed over the river to ready it for Footscray supporters.

azabob
03-09-2024, 12:31 PM
Like other Woofers old enough, John Schultz was my hero.
My older brother and I as young primary kidswould walk the back streets of Droop Street to get to the oval to see our team play and train.
On field Schultz was a giant of a strong man, using his strength to lean back on his opponent at throw ins and marking.
I was shocked to see a pained expression on his face when doing this, wasn't my hero having fun?
He was doing it for Footscray, the team and supporters, selfless.
His hosting of the young excited Queen Elizabeth with John as always balanced and composed was an iconic moment.

Thank you for the insight BID54.

bornadog
03-09-2024, 12:35 PM

Thanks for that, I had forgotten he did that.

https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/85ccb4fefc59d23229d8e035b6f0032c

AshMac
03-09-2024, 07:11 PM
What a diamond of a man!

Vale John Shultz

bornadog
13-09-2024, 12:22 PM
A memorial service for Bulldogs legend John Schultz will take place at Mission Whitten Oval on Tue 17 Sept at 2pm.

Bulldogs fans can watch a live stream of the service on the big screen from the E.J. Whitten Stand seating.

or watch by clicking here
(https://tobin.5stream.com/webcast/130795&bm=1)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GXQBx2mbgAAL-Is?format=jpg&name=900x900