PDA

View Full Version : No Brownlow for Bont a travesty says Treloar

bornadog
02-09-2024, 06:02 PM
link (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/hawkins-and-guthrie-to-make-vfl-return-as-cats-debate-ruck-dilemma-neal-bullen-seeks-crows-trade-20240902-p5k74z.html)

https://static.ffx.io/images/$zoom_0.224%2C$multiply_0.7725%2C$ratio_1.5%2C$width_756%2C$ x_0%2C$y_0/t_crop_custom/q_86%2Cf_auto/d4092df9f1d64f5f48bd51208e1c9ba272f198fb

Western Bulldogs star Adam Treloar says it would be a travesty if club great Marcus Bontempelli finishes his career without a Brownlow Medal.

Bontempelli is one of the favourites to claim this year?s highest individual honour, having twice finished second and four times polled 20 or more votes.

The Bulldogs skipper and 2016 premiership player was runner-up to Brisbane?s Lachie Neale last year, but has arguably had an even better season this year, particularly as he has spent more time forward. Bontempelli has averaged more than 26 disposals per game and has 31 goals ? a career-equalling return heading into Friday night?s elimination final against Hawthorn at the MCG.

Treloar, a first-time All-Australian, said Bontempelli, a six-time All-Australian and this year?s All-Australian skipper, deserved to be officially recognised as the game?s best-and-fairest player.

?I was saying before that it would be a travesty he retired not as a Brownlow medallist because he is probably our generation?s best player, and that?s saying something considering how many good players we have,? Treloar told this masthead. Bontempelli was named AFLPA MVP last week, the third time he has been voted the best player by his peers.

?I hope so [that Bontempelli wins]. I feel like it is going to go down to the wire yet again, and his second half of the year was incredible. Fingers crossed. He has won literally everything else other than a Brownlow Medal.?

Treloar said Bontempelli had been the Bulldogs? best player in their 14 wins.

?In our wins, he was probably our best player every time. So, hopefully, there are three votes in those games,? he said.

Treloar, who began his career alongside the likes of Toby Greene and Jeremy Cameron with Greater Western Sydney before shifting to Collingwood, said Bontempelli and Magpies great Scott Pendlebury were the two best players he had played with.

?That is a hard question. I have played with Scott Pendlebury and Toby Greene, Steele Sidebottom at his best. It?s hard to split him [Bontempelli] and ?Pendles?. He and Pendles are right on par with each other, but polar opposite players,? Treloar said.

?Obviously, Pendles is a lot slower and doesn?t have the aerial game the way ?Bont? does, but I?ll definitely, when I retire, and years and years from now, I?ll be able to say that I was able to play with Bont and Pendles. The scary thing for the opposition is that Bont is [28], and he is not slowing down at all, and he still has many years of dominance left. It is a privilege to be able to play with him.?

Carlton captain Patrick Cripps, Collingwood star Nick Daicos and Neale are also among the Brownlow favourites this year.

Treloar, meanwhile, is confident a calf issue won?t prevent him from lining up in Friday night?s elimination final. He played with a tight calf against Greater Western Sydney in Ballarat before the pre-finals break, but scans cleared him of any major damage.

The clever midfielder will ramp up his training this week, and expects to play in the knockout final.

?The week has been ideal ? I will train fully on Wednesday and get up and play,? he said.

?No concerns. I have been around long enough to know it?s probably been a good de-load week for me. I am not concerned at all.?

Treloar played 22 of a possible 23 games this season, claiming his maiden All-Australian jacket. The only match he has missed was against Carlton in round 18, when he was a late withdrawal during the warm-ups because of calf tightness.

No one averaged more disposals than Treloar this season, the former Giant and Magpie averaging 31.7 disposals, 11.8 contested possessions and 5.8 clearances per game.

angelopetraglia
02-09-2024, 07:50 PM
I have a man crush on Adam Treloar.