PDA

View Full Version : Adam Treloar opens up on his relationship with Nathan Buckley, being a first-time All-Australian

angelopetraglia
02-09-2024, 07:59 PM
https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/e60252990720467c54b37ba1391387ce?width=1024

Adam Treloar opens up on his relationship with Nathan Buckley, being a first-time All-Australian - Jon Ralph

The AFL Awards were a full circle night for Adam Treloar. Not just because he made the All-Australian side, but because of who announced it. Treloar goes one-on-one with JON RALPH.

Adam Treloar?s career came full circle in the seconds after he climbed the stage to accept a debut All-Australian blazer last Thursday.

For the 31-year midfielder it was an honour only bestowed upon him after he vowed to stop caring about an individual focus and buy into being an incredible teammate.

The man on stage announcing that award was All-Australian selector Nathan Buckley, who had wooed him so strongly to Collingwood then pulled the trigger on his late 2020 trade to the Dogs.

That deal rocked Treloar?s foundations.

He is thriving with partner Kim and four-year-old daughter Georgie back from her netball career in Queensland after her July retirement.

And Buckley?

As Treloar told the Herald Sun from an arctic Whitten Oval on Monday, the time for them to rekindle their relationship has never been closer.

?We gave each other a thumbs up,? he said of that cherished moment.

?We haven?t been able to sit down and talk to each other. He was the whole reason I went to the Pies. I love the guy. He backed me in and he always did. There will be a time when we sit down and give each other a big hug and tell each other we love each other because we do,? he said.

?Whatever he sets himself to do, he does it at such a high level. He is my favourite commentator to listen to, analytically he?s the best. He just gives his all, whatever it is. I always watch and I do love the guy.

?I don?t know if it was anger (in being traded against his will) I feel like just disappointed more than anything. I set myself on coming back to Melbourne and playing for Collingwood my whole career. So I don?t think it was ever anger, I was disappointed I wasn?t able to do that but I am a big believer in everything happens for a reason.

?And I can?t even imagine myself playing anywhere else other than the Western Bulldogs and it feels a lot longer than four years that I have been here and I am so grateful to be here.?

But four seasons on, he has truly found his happy place.

His football is thriving after 697 home-and-away touches, 15 goals and inspirational team defence as he ponders a contract extension past 2025.

In a year of so many twists and turns for Treloar he has been an on-field constant alongside Marcus Bontempelli, his All-Australian captain.

Chief executive Ameet Bains lauded him this week for his capacity to steady the ship by speaking up for besieged coach Luke Beveridge when his side was 3-5 when that role so often fell to his captain.

The former Giant and Pies sees the irony of achieving individual greatness when his shackles have been released by caring only about team.

Asked which small stuff he had stopped sweating, he was clear: ?I think from a selfish point of view, the individual stuff. Whether you are playing well, whether you are getting a kick.

?I wish I could go back and tell myself a lot of things I have learnt over the journey and that was the reality of me coming through as an individual but it tapped into whether we were winning and losing and stuff I just can?t control.

?What I can control is how I am feeling individually and if I am contributing to the team and that?s been reflective of my time at the Bulldogs but also the last couple of years.

?My not taking things for granted and my enjoyment is something I wanted to focus on. I never thought I would be an All-Australian, but it?s pretty cool.?

Treloar will play against Hawthorn on Friday night as he takes a three-final hot streak into the game.

He was pilloried for his 10-possession semi-final against Brisbane in 2021 ? and don?t worry, he still has the receipts.

But he responded with 23 touches and a goal in that year?s preliminary final, 27 and three goals in the losing Grand Final, and 26 possessions in the 2022 elimination final.

?I am 100 per cent confident. I know my body well,? he said of the calf concern which nearly saw him pull out of the round 24 victory over GWS.

?If I wasn?t right there is no way I would put my hand up so I am really confident.

?The last thing I would do is compromise the boys? chances of winning and a deep finals push.?

The 31-year-old is also in line for a contract extension past 2025 given his sublime form this year.

?Definitely. I want to retire as a Bulldogs player. I don?t want to retire anywhere else. I am out of contract at the end of next year, so I don?t have to worry about that for now but if there is an extension in the works it would be nice. Hopefully there is something there in the works.?

So as he enters another finals campaign, one last question remains.

How often has he actually visualised lifting that premiership cup aloft for the flag that has eluded him?

?Many times. I often think about lifting that premiership cup with my teammates. It?s the reason why I stay motivated and want to perform at a high level. It would be nice,? he said.

?It?s a big ask. You have to win four games. We are peaking at the right time, our last 10 weeks have been very good. If we can bring our strengths we are going to be a hard team to beat. So hopefully this is the year.?

Link: https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/adam-treloar-opens-up-on-his-relationship-with-nathan-buckley-being-a-firsttime-allaustralian/news-story/bf635e31214ea04329328d9439471b04?amp

macca
02-09-2024, 08:58 PM
What a great guy.
I want us to win Premiership with him in it, wiht Bonts, with all the players we have now.

His played 80 games for us, only 20 more to go for father-son-daughter.

FrediKanoute
02-09-2024, 10:34 PM
Great read and a great get!

Is talk of a contract extension premature?

bornadog
02-09-2024, 10:54 PM
Great read and a great get!

Is talk of a contract extension premature?

Currently an extension is being nutted out

MrMahatma
03-09-2024, 09:29 AM
He’ll have a big say in how far we can go.

bornadog
03-09-2024, 06:34 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GWh0i9LaoAEtucr?format=jpg&name=medium

angelopetraglia
03-09-2024, 07:10 PM
Treloar comes across as a fantastic all round person. The piece of the puzzle I don't understand. Why is he best mates with Dunks?

Mitcha
03-09-2024, 09:10 PM
I'm seriously over the constant backing over by the media of Adz's move away from the filth. He has been with us now for four seasons and in the week leading up to a final they keep regurgitating the past. I understand the irony of Buckley presenting his All Australian blazer but how about just reporting the here and now with Adam trying to prove his fitness and him looking forward to an important final. The time for the media, and Adam for that matter to reflect on his career elsewhere is when he hangs up the boots whenever that may be.