PDA

View Full Version : Bankers & Anchors: 2nd Elimination Final, 2024 vs Hawthorn

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-09-2024, 08:44 AM
This is the 2nd Elimination Final 2024 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once tonight's game against Hawthorn has concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2024, 10:49 PM
B

Lobb

A

Pretty much everything else
Gallagher over West. Good one MC
The scar tissue of another horrible finals embarrassment

Mofra
06-09-2024, 11:16 PM
B

Lobb (clear BOG)
McNeill
Caleb Daniel

A

Libba - nightmare performance
Marra
Weightman

Massive Anchor

English, we're not winning anything while he's first ruck

westbulldog
06-09-2024, 11:30 PM
Bankers
Rory Lobb
Lachlan Bramble
Sam Darcy

Anchors
Weightman
Duryea
Ugle-Hagan

macca
07-09-2024, 01:47 AM
Bankers:
Lobb
Backline manfully put up an effort until the middle of 3rd quarter time when it went bust

Anchors
Another game of putrid umpiring.
JUH was terrible tonight
Stupid low percentage kicks, Duryea was one example
Midfield got smashed tonight
No tagging of Sicily and Newcomb

English has terrible game against more phyiscal ruckman.

merantau
07-09-2024, 07:17 AM
Bankers
Lobb
Bramble
Dale

Anchors
JUH - did not get near it all night and when he had a chance - he cruelled it
Weightman - did he get a kick?
English - really? I backed you in to have a red hot go to make up for your lame performance in Round 8 against MeeK and you were meek and tepid. We need a ruckman. You can play down back next year. We have enough talls up forward.

Dry Rot
09-09-2024, 01:11 AM
I am half blind, but where are the best players and what I have learned from the game threads?

Ozza
09-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Bankers:

Lobb - would persist with him as a defender next season.
Williams - think he was reasonable

Anchors:

Bevo - That we basically never leant into our strength - by never having all three talls playing at the same time - presumably because we were worried about their pace. And then once we struggled forward of the ball we kept our best player there for a significant period (when he wasn't on the bench). Rucking Naughton? Caleb defensive forward? No West (perhaps he could have occupied Sicily?). I'm not sure I've ever seen a quarter or so getting 'bigger' on a coach than the 2nd and most of the 3rd.

Ugle Hagan - although there wasn't much supply, it was a shameful performance and its over to him whether he can answer the question of whether he has the character to be 'the man'.

English - Got absolutely toweled up. I don't know what we're paying him on this new deal....

Sedat
09-09-2024, 10:23 AM
B

Lobb (clear BOG)
McNeill
Caleb Daniel

A

Libba - nightmare performance
Marra
Weightman

Massive Anchor

English, we're not winning anything while he's first ruck
We haven't won a single final since 2019 whenever English has been the big dog - we won our 3 finals in 2021 with either Lewis Young or Stef Martin as first ruck. I'm sure the 27yo who has been in the game for 8 years now will come good eventually - just need to give the kid a bit more time and he'll be the next Simon Madden.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2024, 10:27 AM
We haven't won a single final since 2019 whenever English has been the big dog - we won our 3 finals in 2021 with either Lewis Young or Stef Martin as first ruck. I'm sure the 27yo who has been in the game for 8 years now will come good eventually - just need to give the kid a bit more time and he'll be the next Simon Madden.

Just needs another preseason in the gym. Maybe he needs a ruck coach too as King, Lade & Martin clearly don’t know how to impart knowledge on to him.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-09-2024, 11:32 AM
B

Lobb

A

Pretty much everything else
Gallagher over West. Good one MC
The scar tissue of another horrible finals embarrassment

I think we need a force competitor who hits the ball and contest with toughness, almost angry, won't be beaten like Libba who is concussed and old and West, especially in finals.
Hawthorn team were all like this in the final we lost.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-09-2024, 11:33 AM
Force competition = fierce competitor.

SquirrelGrip
09-09-2024, 01:04 PM
I think we need a fierce competitor who hits the ball and contest with toughness, almost angry, won't be beaten like Libba who is concussed and old and West, especially in finals.
Hawthorn team were all like this in the final we lost.

I think we felt Harmes was going to be that.