PDA

View Full Version : The Moment: 2nd Elimination Final, 2024 vs Hawthorn

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-09-2024, 08:45 AM
The moment; the best, most courageous moment that caught your eye in this evenings Elimination Final against Hwthorn.
Was it the moment that told you 'we've got this' or 'we lost this one right here'? Or was it the moment that you went 'wow....that is crazy courage'

Was it a collection of moments or perhaps one you felt had greater significance outside of the actual game's result?.. Or maybe it was a downright gobshite game, with little to crow about...but you know, you're still down to get your post count up as you set your gaze towards your next 60,000 posts............. BAD.... who love's ya baby

bulldogtragic
06-09-2024, 10:47 PM
****ing Marra.

josie
06-09-2024, 11:36 PM
Yep. Marra’s miss for me. Also later when McNeill missed in Q3 when were still kinda in with a slight chance.

GVGjr
06-09-2024, 11:42 PM
Yep. Marra’s miss for me. Also later when McNeill missed in Q3 when were still kinda in with a slight chance.

It's the same challenge where our forward players can't capitalize on their chances at critical times.
Brad Johnson didn't start until mid Jan so I hope we see him earlier in the preseason.

G-Mo77
06-09-2024, 11:45 PM

JUH's miss is certainly is a what if moment. I went to the toilet after he marked it, I knew it would be a miss.

jazzadogs
06-09-2024, 11:47 PM
The Marra miss was important, and Sam Darcy not being paid a clear mark...but the moment was letting them repeatedly walk the ball out of the midfield in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. I don't think those misses change that.

1st and 4th
7.4 to 5.5

2nd and 3rd
2.4 to 9.10

I'd hate to see the inside 50 and clearance numbers for those middle two quarters. I know they had double our possessions in the third.

macca
06-09-2024, 11:51 PM
Treloar looked off the pace today
Bonts looked sore

Harmes was usless in 2nd and 3d quarter given number of marks Sicily took.

Buku or JOD may have been a better matchup.

We looked slow and off the pace after half time . Could not get it out of the Hawks fwd line in the 3rd quarter.

1eyedog
07-09-2024, 12:04 AM
All the moments that our midfield was repeatedly crushed. Again.

Sedat
07-09-2024, 12:30 AM
F50 stoppage goal late in the 2nd - Meek tap to Newcombe and shut the gate. We don't concede D50 stoppage goals this season and it was massive alarm bells for mine.

The Adelaide Connection
07-09-2024, 12:31 AM
As disappointing as we were, there was a stark difference in how the two teams were umpired.

There were bs blocks called on both Bont and Weightman early (when we had the early momentum) and this contrasted with watching Sicily turn his back on the ball and run straight at JUH and push him back with two arms- no free.

VDM throw to Bont goal was paid a fk, one for them was missed and ended in a goal.

How?s the insufficient intent calls? Haha. Wild stuff.

My favourite was maybe the push on Darcy that got paid a FK to Sicily because he cannoned into him.

There were so many relieving moments for them that really stamped out any flickering chance to get back into the game.

bornadog
07-09-2024, 12:33 AM
My daughter who is not a footy nut said when Bont's goal was disallowed in the first quarter, the game seem to change.

merantau
07-09-2024, 12:36 AM
Whenever we REALLY needed to kick a goal - we failed. It was soul crushing for me as I am a PRISONER OF HOPE! It is my tragic destiny.

merantau
07-09-2024, 12:40 AM
As disappointing as we were, there was a stark difference in how the two teams were umpired.

There were bs blocks called on both Bont and Weightman early (when we had the early momentum) and this contrasted with watching Sicily turn his back on the ball and run straight at JUH and push him back with two arms- no free.

VDM throw to Bont goal was paid a fk, one for them was missed and ended in a goal.

My favourite was maybe the push on Darcy that got paid a FK to Sicily because he cannoned into him.

There were so many relieving moments for them that really stamped out any flickering chance to get back into the game.

Yep, a fair assessment. I really felt they got silver service all night and we were given the plastic cutlery and the paper plates.

bulldogsthru&thru
07-09-2024, 12:41 AM
My daughter who is not a footy nut said when Bont's goal was disallowed in the first quarter, the game seem to change.

They kicked the next couple but we kicked away again to finish the quarter on top. Then we came out like a flat tyre to start the 2nd.

bulldogsthru&thru
07-09-2024, 12:43 AM

It was some of the worst umpiring I've seen. And to come out of the blocks in front of a packed house making phantom calls was wild.

We were totally umpired to a different set of rules tonight. Umps were on the hype or $$ train for sure.

There was only one performance worse than theirs tonight.

jazzadogs
07-09-2024, 12:44 AM

That prick umpire #2 should have subbed himself off with concussion, he could only see brown and gold.

bornadog
07-09-2024, 12:44 AM
It was some of the worst umpiring I've seen. And to come out of the blocks in front of a packed house making phantom calls was wild.

We were totally umpired to a different set of rules tonight. Umps were on the hype or $$ train for sure.

There was only one performance worse than theirs tonight.

What about Dear's mark over the line and it is paid and he kicks a goal - that was really pathetic

G-Mo77
07-09-2024, 12:55 AM
What about Dear's mark over the line and it is paid and he kicks a goal - that was really pathetic

He was so far out he could have grabbed a beer from the bar.

JanLorMill
07-09-2024, 01:07 AM
Pre game. Selections , list strategy, game plan, personnel.

macca
07-09-2024, 01:09 AM
Umpiring was terrible tonight

That was not a mark to Dear over the boundary
Sicily shirt tackle was not high, He should have been pinged 3 steps before that .

The umpires were clearly on the betting take tonight.

azabob
07-09-2024, 01:25 AM
Our inability to stop Silcily doing as he pleased in the first half.

Sedat
07-09-2024, 01:29 AM
Our inability to stop Silcily doing as he pleased in the first half.
We reverted to long bombs to snake going into F50 again tonight, which Sicily and Scrimshaw ate up. We didn't spot up the short option anywhere near enough.

azabob
07-09-2024, 01:31 AM
We reverted to long bombs to snake gping into F50 again tonight, which Sicily and Scrimshaw ate up. We didn't spot up the short option anywhere near enough.

He just did what he wanted all night. No one could be bothered doing anything about it.

Mantis
07-09-2024, 06:51 AM
He just did what he wanted all night. No one could be bothered doing anything about it.

We made his job so ****ing easy though.

We never hit up the short option.
We never tried going with the 3 talls when the heat was in the contest.
We never had someone play him as a forward. (Back shoulder)

We played into their hands.

chef
07-09-2024, 07:06 AM
Picking Treloar when we clearly wasn't fit was really dumb, but the Marra miss was the moment. Still a lot of growing up for him to do.

Funke disco
07-09-2024, 07:12 AM
With 20/20 vision the Marra miss was the moment. We would have been up by a point, undeservedly, but ahead with the potential to arrest momentum and reset.

the moment I knew it was over was Newcombe's goal from stoppage

Grantysghost
07-09-2024, 07:58 AM
Midfield not turning up was the moment.

Or maybe when we signed on as tenants of Marvel knowing we would never get a home final.

North, Saints, Dogs, Essendon, Carlton.

The latter are moving more games to the G.

I think it's a massive disadvantage not playing enough games at the G. It's a different game.

The Hawks used every inch of the width of the G. We looked lost in the extra space.

Their banner summed it up. Our house.

Actually that's the other moment. Our banner was embarrassing theirs was a work of art.(not Danny's work that was good)

ReLoad
07-09-2024, 08:06 AM
Expectation.

The moment was when I had expectations, expectation of playing how I know we can play, expectations of showing some tactical nous, expectations of doing what?s required when it?s required. Expectations of kicking that clutch goal.

It seems the expectation of us is disappointment.

Expectations. I freaking hate them.

DOG GOD
07-09-2024, 08:26 AM
Marras miss for sure. Typical, laconic, lazy attitude from him.

anfo27
07-09-2024, 08:30 AM
When Dear kicked that soccer goal in the 2nd quarter. We had 2-3 players make little errors & we just weren't anywhere near sharp enough. I said to my brother then that I had a very bad feeling about tonight.

Go_Dogs
07-09-2024, 08:55 AM

It stood out to me too how poor the umpiring was. The fix was in from AFL house. Bramble should?ve been paid a HTB free kick. Umpire appeared to put the whistle to his mouth and then remember he wasn?t meant to pay free kicks to the Dogs.

Better side won no doubt. Umpiring was dreadful.

Marra miss the moment for me too. Just have to kick those especially when you?re having 5 touches for the game. Naughton only had it 8 times but at least kicked 3 goals and impacted more contests in a meaningful way.

soupman
07-09-2024, 09:41 AM
Umpiring was frustrating but was mostly fine until Hawks got well on top, and once a team starts doing that the frees always go their way.

Jamarras miss was definitely the moment, especially when 5 minutes later Dear took his chance from basically the equivalent spot.

SonofScray
07-09-2024, 10:29 AM
Marra’s miss was the one. If he could have taken that chance, it changes the perception of his game from someone completely out of the contest, found out in he moment, to someone who can still impact the game.

Boots
07-09-2024, 10:46 AM
For me it was the start of the second quarter. We looked like we were in it in Q1 but something felt different in Q2. Like whatever bevo had said to them in the break was just wrong.

jazzadogs
07-09-2024, 11:09 AM
For me it was the start of the second quarter. We looked like we were in it in Q1 but something felt different in Q2. Like whatever bevo had said to them in the break was just wrong.

Yeh I think Bevo told them to stop running, stop competing and most importantly, panic under pressure. #BevoOut

jeemak
07-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Yeh I think Bevo told them to stop running, stop competing and most importantly, panic under pressure. #BevoOut

He reinforced it at half time. He said let them take the initiative, don't pressure them this quarter and don't stress about spreading.

jeemak
07-09-2024, 01:29 PM
Either Marra's miss or not being able to force the ball out of play prior to Dear's soccer goal. Both pivotal moments of mental ineptitude that cost us.

The umpiring was disgusting all night. Hopefully Hawks supporters can finally forget about the four extra free kicks we got in 2016 from 20% more touches.

bulldogsthru&thru
07-09-2024, 01:29 PM
Thought Bevo articulated our concerns well in his presser. We couldn't stand up to the pressure which unfortunately has been a theme with us since you know when.

How I miss the 2016 version. The Smith's, Morris', Boyd's, Woods, Pickens, Dalhouses and 2016 Libba. We had so many hard nosed guys. Can barely count on one hand thise types today.

Happy Days
07-09-2024, 01:39 PM
I was actually in the rooms at half time and Bevo didn’t say anything he just sat silently in the corner chain smoking and crying for 15 minutes.

Grantysghost
07-09-2024, 01:59 PM
I was actually in the rooms at half time and Bevo didn’t say anything he just sat silently in the corner chain smoking and crying for 15 minutes.

Watching video of the time he said "you ****ing beauty" on a loop on his ipad.

bulldogsthru&thru
07-09-2024, 03:12 PM
Either Marra's miss or not being able to force the ball out of play prior to Dear's soccer goal. Both pivotal moments of mental ineptitude that cost us.

The umpiring was disgusting all night. Hopefully Hawks supporters can finally forget about the four extra free kicks we got in 2016 from 20% more touches.

Was like 6-1 in the 1st quarter when we had dominated possession. It was ludicrous the umpiring.

jeemak
07-09-2024, 10:55 PM
Another moment that rattles around in my brain was in the first, when Bont kicks it out on the full from a long set shot - left if you can believe it - and I just wonder what happens to the Hawks and his game in particular if that goes through.

Can Bar
09-09-2024, 12:37 PM
Players slipping over at crucial times early in the game.
Soft Momentum killing Frees against
Need to combat the Wizard Hats (AFL Love this stuff) with all our supporters holding up 2 Blow up Arms with an AXE chopping the Arms 'whilst yelling "CHOPPED" every time our Talls marks are spoilt.

Happy Days
10-09-2024, 04:12 PM
Now that I’ve finally stopped crying I just can’t get over the selection of Gallagher. Since Bevo seemed so intent to make Big Movez on the night, I wish we had Garcia or West in his place so we could’ve pulled the trigger on getting some more pace in the middle. It worked the one time we tried it against Sydney so obviously we didn’t see it again for the entirety of the season.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-09-2024, 06:22 PM
Now that I’ve finally stopped crying I just can’t get over the selection of Gallagher. Since Bevo seemed so intent to make Big Movez on the night, I wish we had Garcia or West in his place so we could’ve pulled the trigger on getting some more pace in the middle. It worked the one time we tried it against Sydney so obviously we didn’t see it again for the entirety of the season.

Gags has some nice traits but he had no business being anywhere near our best 22 in truth. How many games did he actually perform in? In the second half of the year I'm not sure I recall any.

I'm so far from convinced on him as a mid. I hope he transitions back to a small defender (which we kinda lack, no?).