View Full Version : The Monday Soapbox - Finals Edition

GVGjr
09-09-2024, 09:53 AM
Time to get on to your soapbox.

Grantysghost
09-09-2024, 09:59 AM
Our House.

They were right - and it made me SICK!

Lions finish 5th. Home game - total advantage.
Dogs finish 6th. Home game - total disadvantage.

Marvel tenants are buggered.

The only thing that balances it all for me is that the 2016 GF following my logic should have been in Sydney (we still would have won !!).

bornadog
09-09-2024, 10:08 AM
The bye round - we lost our momentum

bulldogtragic
09-09-2024, 10:19 AM

I thought we were 4 goals to 2 up at quarter time. I thought we started fine enough. We shit the bed. Not sure momentum had anything to do with it.

bornadog
09-09-2024, 10:21 AM
I thought we were 4 goals to 2 up at quarter time. I thought we started fine enough. We shit the bed. Not sure momentum had anything to do with it.

We were lack lustre. Go back to the North game after the bye and see a similar situation where we struggled with them - lucky they aren't a good team

GVGjr
09-09-2024, 10:24 AM

The Hawks had a bye as well. If we assume what you say has merit why is it a challenge for us and not others?
I can get reasons why some players might not getting up for an encounter against North but justifying it for a final after missing last year doesn't sound plausible.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2024, 10:24 AM
We were lack lustre. Go back to the North game after the bye and see a similar situation where we struggled with them - lucky they aren't a good team

Can’t really buy this. We were leading in the second quarter and dropped our bundle. If Bevo can’t start seasons well and can’t get teams up after a bye then what’s the point of following the club? We need to bank early wins (we don’t tend to do) and if we play finals ww have multiple byes a year. If we get good teams after a bye then pencil in two losses. But to my original point, we started well enough.

bornadog
09-09-2024, 10:31 AM
Can’t really buy this. We were leading in the second quarter and dropped our bundle. If Bevo can’t start seasons well and can’t get teams up after a bye then what’s the point of following the club? We need to bank early wins (we don’t tend to do) and if we play finals ww have multiple byes a year. If we get good teams after a bye then pencil in two losses. But to my original point, we started well enough.

I gave you my Monday soapbox and I am sticking with it.

Sedat
09-09-2024, 10:34 AM
Can?t really buy this. We were leading in the second quarter and dropped our bundle. If Bevo can?t start seasons well and can?t get teams up after a bye then what?s the point of following the club? We need to bank early wins (we don?t tend to do) and if we play finals ww have multiple byes a year. If we get good teams after a bye then pencil in two losses. But to my original point, we started well enough.
In the last 10 minutes of the 1st qtr we dominated clearance and territory for the only time in the game - at 1/4 time we should have been well pleased having countered Hawthorn's good start (first 30 seconds aside) and we got the game played back on our terms. That evaporated a few minutes into the 2nd and became deeply embarrassing in the 3rd.

Talk of umpiring (yeah it was a bit rubbish) and especially the bye is the ultimate losers limp. Even worse, I especially hated the commentary around "there must have been something wrong with Bont" post game - that was deeply embarrassing for anyone in the media who uttered such trash, and very insulting to Nash and the Hawks brains trust who expertly picked Bont apart on the night. As a club we need to take our medicine after delivering such a below par performance at the most important time of the season, and get better in all facets in 2025. No excuses for anyone, just get it done.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2024, 10:34 AM
I gave you my Monday soapbox and I am sticking with it.

That’s fine, I’m not asking you to change it. Just I can’t see where you are coming from and was trying to.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2024, 10:39 AM
In the last 10 minutes of the 1st qtr we dominated clearance and territory for the only time in the game - at 1/4 time we should have been well pleased having countered Hawthorn's good start (first 30 seconds aside) and we got the game played back on our terms. That evaporated a few minutes into the 2nd and became deeply embarrassing in the 3rd.

Talk of umpiring (yeah it was a bit rubbish) and especially the bye is the ultimate losers limp. We need to take our medicine after delivering such a below par performance at the most important time of the season, and get better in all facets in 2025. No excuses, just get it done.

I need to see what happens at the trade table. I’m not yet convinced there’s enough natural progresssion in this list to assume finals are a certainty next year. I agree we need to improve in all facets, but I think personnel is going to be more important than normal. If we can get some players that address needs that’s going to be great. If not, I’m concerned.

EasternWest
09-09-2024, 10:47 AM
I'm as concerned about the "Marra can be the next Buddy" as I was about the "Stringer is the next Ablett" palaver that went on when he was emerging.

GVGjr
09-09-2024, 10:54 AM
I'm as concerned about the "Marra can be the next Buddy" as I was about the "Stringer is the next Ablett" palaver that went on when he was emerging.

I'm not a fan of player comparisons. We know Marra's best is exceptionally good and we've seen that if he's not switched on it can look ordinary. It's okay to say he has Buddy like abilities ie tall, rangy and long kick etc but comparisons to one of the best ever are premature and not warranted.

Grantysghost
09-09-2024, 11:20 AM
I'm not a fan of player comparisons. We know Marra's best is exceptionally good and we've seen that if he's not switched on it can look ordinary. It's okay to say he has Buddy like abilities ie tall, rangy and long kick etc but comparisons to one of the best ever are premature and not warranted.

If we are being honest, the only likeness is they're both incredible indigenous athletes.

It's shallow and frankly embarrassing that this is pushed so hard by the contemptuous AFL media.

Buddy is incomparable. Marra is forging his own path.

GVGjr
09-09-2024, 11:24 AM
If we are being honest, the only likeness is they're both incredible indigenous athletes.

It's shallow and frankly embarrassing that this is pushed so hard by the contemptuous AFL media.

Buddy is incomparable. Marra is forging his own path.

Fully agree. Lets see where Marra and his unique skill set takes us.

mjp
09-09-2024, 11:35 AM
Buddy is incomparable.

Buddy's ability to push up the ground and 'slash/slide/burst through a contest ball in hand' looks more like Chad Warner or Jason Horne-Francis than Jamarra.

Jamarra marks it - or he doesn't get it. Until he is able to change this, he will continue to be a very limited and inconsistent footballer...

bulldogtragic
09-09-2024, 11:37 AM
Buddy's ability to push up the ground and 'slash/slide/burst through a contest ball in hand' looks more like Chad Warner or Jason Horne-Francis than Jamarra.

Jamarra marks it - or he doesn't get it. Until he is able to change this, he will continue to be a very limited and inconsistent footballer...

Even when he gets it he’s 50/50 at best to kick accurately. He seemed such a great accurate kick at TAC level but seemingly can’t improve it even with a forward coach and a goal kicking coach. Any ideas how he fixes this?

mjp
09-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Even when he gets it he’s 50/50 at best to kick accurately. He seemed such a great accurate kick at TAC level but seemingly can’t improve it even with a forward coach and a goal kicking coach. Any ideas how he fixes this?

Left hand, left foot...left POST.

Consistent run up - 7 paces back from the mark, 11x paces back from there. Walk in for 3, run in for 5 to create momentum and kick the ball.

Practice.

I say to my guys I know you are going well when you take a mark inside 40m, quickly scan the field then start going through your process. Hit's or misses I don't actually mind - but you need to miss to the RIGHT side (left side for left footers, right side to right footers unless you are a freak with a natural inside out). Anything > 45-degrees is a snap with your INSIDE LEG, anything in the V is a drop punt. No snaps from outside 35m as it's too far.

Should I keep going?? Oh - and if you do something unique (aka Jesse Hogan, Josh Kennedy) but the ball keeps going through, cool - you do you.

It ain't rocket science.

EasternWest
09-09-2024, 01:23 PM

Consistent run up - 7 paces back from the mark, 11x paces back from there. Walk in for 3, run in for 5 to create momentum and kick the ball.

Practice.

Not a doubt in my mind the veracity of this. Is it the last step that's missing? Do we practice enough?

left side for left footers

Bontempelli has entered the chat.

Mantis
09-09-2024, 04:55 PM
Bontempelli has entered the chat.

At least now when Bont aims middle, he either hits the left goal post or misses by a metre or so.

If he aims left, he'll be doing more of what happened on Friday night and be hitting patrons in the FP.

macca
09-09-2024, 07:45 PM

Practice.

I say to my guys I know you are going well when you take a mark inside 40m, quickly scan the field then start going through your process. Hit's or misses I don't actually mind - but you need to miss to the RIGHT side (left side for left footers, right side to right footers unless you are a freak with a natural inside out). Anything > 45-degrees is a snap with your INSIDE LEG, anything in the V is a drop punt. No snaps from outside 35m as it's too far.

Should I keep going?? Oh - and if you do something unique (aka Jesse Hogan, Josh Kennedy) but the ball keeps going through, cool - you do you.

It ain't rocket science.

MJP , where can we sign you up for kicking coach ?

At least get you down for a clinic with the fwds.

bornadog
09-09-2024, 08:20 PM
MJP , where can we sign you up for kicking coach ?

At least get you down for a clinic with the fwds.

MJP has his own team to worry about