PDA

View Full Version : Western Mutts

jazzadogs
26-09-2024, 05:43 PM
So PETA have asked us to rename to the Western Mutts. Forgetting about this absolute joke of a demand, what is the worst possible branding you think our club could go with?

Western Mutts would have to go close.

jazzadogs
26-09-2024, 05:44 PM
Context, via Code Sports:
The Western Bulldogs AFL club have been urged to retire their mascots and undertake a name change after receiving a complaint from the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) over their ‘deformed’ Bulldogs Caesar and Sunny.
This is not a joke.
PETA campaign advisor in Australia, Mimi Bekhechi, issued a letter to the club president Kylie Watson-Wheeler calling upon the club to recognise the health issues with the bulldog breed and suggested the club would do more to promote animal wellbeing by being renamed the Western Mutts.
The activist group believe the use of the live mascots Caesar and Sunny normalises and promotes the breeding of breathing-impaired breeds (BIB) who suffer with deformities and severe health problems – including brachycephalic syndrome, a leading cause of death for bulldogs.
“Extremely short snouts spell suffering,” said Bekhechi.

“By showcasing Caesar and Sunny at games and events and promoting their breeder, the team is – however unwittingly – supporting the intentional breeding of dogs with painful and debilitating deformities.”
In the letter to Watson-Wheeler, PETA suggested the club could promote homeless animals with a name change and even offered to help “contribute to rebranding costs.”
“We have a suggestion that’ll modernise Western Bulldogs’ image: retire Caesar and
Sunny and rename the club the “Western Mutts”,” PETA wrote in a letter to the club boss.
“By not promoting breathing impaired dog breeds (BIB) ... you’d avoid normalising their suffering and instead help champion loveable and unique mixed-breed dogs, who typically live longer and are healthier than their flat-faced cousins.

“By relinquishing Caesar and Sunny’s mascot duties to your willing human costumed mascots and renaming the team the “Western Mutts”, you’d be taking a stand against the “pedigree” dog–breeding industry while championing the adoption of wonderful mixed breeds and other homeless animals.”
The Western Bulldogs club said they were not aware of a letter from PETA and did not wish to make a comment on the matter at this time.
While animal nicknames are not uncommon in Australian sport, the Western Bulldogs and West Coast Eagles and the NRL’s Canterbury Bulldogs and Brisbane Broncos, are the only clubs known in those codes to have used real animals as their mascots on game day.
Then again, could you imagine the PETA outroar if there was a real Lion, Kangaroo, Tiger, Panther, Shark or Eel on the sidelines at the footy.

Grantysghost
26-09-2024, 05:46 PM
Yeah but...

The Bombers.

Grantysghost
26-09-2024, 05:48 PM
So PETA have asked us to rename to the Western Mutts. Forgetting about this absolute joke of a demand, what is the worst possible branding you think our club could go with?

Western Mutts would have to go close.
Western Middle Eastern Crime Gangs

Rocco Jones
26-09-2024, 05:51 PM
'Western' still the worst bit.

azabob
26-09-2024, 05:52 PM

#WestSideRepresent

bulldogtragic
26-09-2024, 05:52 PM
Undo any of your good work why don’t you.

Why not target actual animal death like meat pies or hot dogs? Sure we don’t know for sure there’s animals in them, but that’s the advertisement.

This stuff is where goodwill dies as it will get sucked into the culture war types. Argh.

Grantysghost
26-09-2024, 05:54 PM
'Western' still the worst bit.
Ha I lolzed.

Rocket Science
26-09-2024, 05:56 PM
What is the worst possible branding you think our club could go with?

WESTERN Anything, really.

Very happy to die on this hill.

Axe Man
26-09-2024, 05:59 PM
Right so Bulldogs = bad.
Western = bad.

The unspecified lifeforms of no particular location?

angelopetraglia
https://i.ibb.co/yd74Z8n/Designer-13.jpg

Rocket Science
Undo any of your good work why don’t you.

Why not target actual animal death like meat pies or hot dogs? Sure we don’t know for sure there’s animals in them, but that’s the advertisement.

This stuff is where goodwill dies as it will get sucked into the culture war types. Argh.

Yeah. I mean, they are. But calculated stunts like these mean corners of the internet like this are now talking about it, so ... hat tip I suppose.

Rocket Science
26-09-2024, 06:00 PM
https://i.ibb.co/yd74Z8n/Designer-13.jpg

Love me some FOOBALL.

Grantysghost
26-09-2024, 06:02 PM
Bulldogs are a shit breed
Dogs are a big part of my life and PETA are right, they really struggle with breathing and many other issues.

Maybe the mascots going I could live with (the live ones).

And I know a certain poster here sees them as his nemesis so he'd be happy.

What about.

Western It's the West gate not the East gate.

bornadog
26-09-2024, 06:05 PM
Western Dingos

Axe Man
26-09-2024, 06:07 PM
Bulldogs are a shit breed
Dogs are a big part of my life and PETA are right, they really struggle with breathing and many other issues.

Maybe the mascots going I could live with (the live ones).

And I know a certain poster here sees them as his nemesis so he'd be happy.

What about.

Western It's the West gate not the East gate.

We have an Aussie Bulldog and they are a fantastic breed. Longer snouts and bred to not have the same health problems as their British cousins.

Grantysghost
26-09-2024, 06:07 PM
We have an Aussie Bulldog and they are a fantastic breed. Longer snouts and bred to not have the same health problems as their British cousins.
Beautiful.

They should be our mascots.

Hotdog60
26-09-2024, 06:11 PM
For F#ck sake who the F#ck cares its a name of a Football club some people need to get a life.

Mofra
Western Tortillas - and Mission sign a 20 year sponsorship deal with us.

bornadog
great idea

https://bowwowinsurance.com.au/dogs/dog-breeds/australian-bulldog/

jazzadogs
26-09-2024, 06:16 PM
Western Tortillas - and Mission sign a 20 year sponsorship deal with us.

Will we need to trade Dunkley back as brand ambassador for bland lifeless spice free tortillas?

jazzadogs
26-09-2024, 06:17 PM
Right so Bulldogs = bad.
Western = bad.

The unspecified lifeforms of no particular location?

It sounds like we're all happy with Footscray Mutts.

MrMahatma
26-09-2024, 06:19 PM
Western Wokes.

Lean riiiight in

G-Mo77
26-09-2024, 06:25 PM
I can't wait for the day when we look back at all these pathetic complaints and decisions to appease these complainers with absolute embarrassment. We are a joke if we fall to bullshit like this!

Flamethrower
26-09-2024, 06:27 PM
Western Wolves

Western Pit Bull Terriers

Western Rottweilers

Better than Mutts

And while we are at renaming things, can you campaigners at Peta change your effing name or I will sue you for defamation- there are some great people with that name.

bornadog
26-09-2024, 06:29 PM
Will we need to trade Dunkley back as brand ambassador for bland lifeless spice free tortillas?

He walked past my building today with Bailey - I should have asked him what he thought :D

angelopetraglia
26-09-2024, 06:41 PM
https://i.ibb.co/6Xkd74r/Designer-36.jpg

The bulldog tragician
26-09-2024, 07:50 PM
Western Terriers?

Sedat
26-09-2024, 07:52 PM
Jakey likes

jazzadogs
26-09-2024, 08:22 PM
What I don't understand about their suggestion of Mutt is...its an insult?

"a stupid or incompetent person"

The Western Stupid or Incompetent Persons.

Who would the mascot be?

hujsh
26-09-2024, 08:47 PM
What I don't understand about their suggestion of Mutt is...its an insult?

"a stupid or incompetent person"

The Western Stupid or Incompetent Persons.

Who would the mascot be?

I'm guessing you probably know but in cause you don't a mutt is a mixed bread. I think they're going for an 'adopt don't shop' type sub message.

jazzadogs
26-09-2024, 09:32 PM
I'm guessing you probably know but in cause you don't a mutt is a mixed bread. I think they're going for an 'adopt don't shop' type sub message.

I also had people at the dog park get offended on my dogs behalf when I called it a mutt, so I think the mixed breed can be seen as insulting as well?

Either way, calling a sports team mutts is nuts (and I know they weren't seriously suggesting it).

hujsh
26-09-2024, 09:43 PM
I also had people at the dog park get offended on my dogs behalf when I called it a mutt, so I think the mixed breed can be seen as insulting as well?

Either way, calling a sports team mutts is nuts (and I know they weren't seriously suggesting it).

Next thing they'll be upset if you call one a bitch

EasternWest
26-09-2024, 11:31 PM
Love me some FOOBALL.

Never mind the Wutts

Jeanette54
26-09-2024, 11:32 PM
https://i.ibb.co/6Xkd74r/Designer-36.jpg

Love this, looks just like my resident wombat, Frodo. probably got a better six pack than Bailey Smith too.

angelopetraglia
27-09-2024, 12:35 AM
Never mind the Wutts

AI design tool still needs some refining ? LOL

jeemak
27-09-2024, 12:38 AM
I own a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and know a bit about the risks.

If dogs have been bread to the extent where they can't sit properly or breathe properly then any reasonable person would say that's gone far enough and is pretty ****ed up. My question is, do all Bulldogs have to be like they are now or can we slowly turn things around for the breed?

We don't need to change the name of the football club.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-09-2024, 12:53 AM
Western Wolfhounds and release a pack of Irish and Russian Wolfhounds at the strat of each game, to run from goal to goal.

Jasper
27-09-2024, 10:02 AM
This is just fat shaming. :) they should GAGF

hujsh
27-09-2024, 10:13 AM
I own a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and know a bit about the risks.

If dogs have been bread to the extent where they can't sit properly or breathe properly then any reasonable person would say that's gone far enough and is pretty ****ed up. My question is, do all Bulldogs have to be like they are now or can we slowly turn things around for the breed?

We don't need to change the name of the football club.

I think it's kind of inherent in the pure breed no? Otherwise the Aussie Bulldog looks like a great alternative that seems to have done what you suggest.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are smaller breeders who do try and fix this.

SonofScray
27-09-2024, 12:32 PM
Animals only exist for our entertainment and/or dietary requirements.

PETA can GAGF.

See you all at the circus.