PDA

View Full Version : The Sydney vs North Draw ?

GVGjr
29-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Is there any chance that Sydney will lose the 2 points here for having the extra player on the ground?

The Underdog
29-04-2008, 04:15 PM
In a word, no.
They'll surely get fined, maybe quite heavily, but it wasn't called at the time so I don't think they'll take the points off them.
North don't seem to concerned by it all, maybe because they got the benefit of an appalling goal umpiring decision that helped get them the points in the first place, so I think it'll be a fine and the result stands.

Sockeye Salmon
29-04-2008, 05:00 PM
I thought a few months ago when Brent Guerra went on without being replaced in the NAB cup that it would be worth 15,000 to play the last minute or two of a close one with 19 players.

Whether Jolly was the extra player or not is a moot point. North had the ball and all they had to do was keep posession, the extra player sured up the zone which meant they had to kick to a contest and give Sydney another chance.

ledge
29-04-2008, 05:06 PM
An old rule and doesnt really work nowadays, is the captain of the opposition must stop the umpire and call for a head count for them to lose the points.
This rule is antiquated but is still the rule, how the hell can a captain know how many are on with the way interchange goes now, he has a game of footy to play.
This is happening to often and i have no doubt the AFL will change it in the off season.
What amazes me is the player coming on must know to watch to see other player is off first, its no rocket science, also arent their interchange officials?

LostDoggy
29-04-2008, 11:23 PM
This is so easily fixed with a card system (player going on must give the card to player going off) used in other sports but AFL being so anti other sports couldn't adapt something simple and practical that works. Anderson will devise something bizzare that only he could understand.

Where or not the extra man affected the game or not is debatable. Yes Jolly got a possession but I'd say it was the 1st gamers fault and shouldn't have entered.

westdog54
30-04-2008, 09:52 PM
This is so easily fixed with a card system (player going on must give the card to player going off) used in other sports but AFL being so anti other sports couldn't adapt something simple and practical that works. Anderson will devise something bizzare that only he could understand.

Where or not the extra man affected the game or not is debatable. Yes Jolly got a possession but I'd say it was the 1st gamers fault and shouldn't have entered.

The irony here is that this was adopted by the clubs out of necessity when the AFL trialled the '8 messages per quarter' rule for the club runners.

ledge
30-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Its not hard you have a line about 20 mtres long a player comes off, a player goes on, i still dont understand whether he was young or older player everyone knows you wait until one of your players goes off before you come on, simple.

bornadog
30-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Its not hard you have a line about 20 mtres long a player comes off, a player goes on, i still dont understand whether he was young or older player everyone knows you wait until one of your players goes off before you come on, simple.

He was a first gamer. Saw his opponent run on, so he ran on as well. The bulldogs were fined $7500 in 2006 for the same thing.

With the number of interchanges going on now, its amazing any one can work out who is on and off and who is playing on who. On Saturday I was sitting just above the interchange bench on level two. Kerr came off and so Boyd followed. Kerr turned around straight away and went back on and so did Boyd. It was a classic cat and mouse chase, but could easily have gone wrong if the stewards didn't check.

westdog54
13-10-2008, 03:31 PM
I know this is well and truly a dead issue by now but I found this offering from TFS on Youtube, which I found, as FDOTM would say, "most LOLsome".

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIiBIvBX8Lk