PDA

View Full Version : Round 1 Team, 2025

bulldogtragic
09-10-2024, 08:26 AM
Assuming CD, Jack & Smith get traded and no mature players come in. Still looks solid with 100% effort.

B: Dale L. Jones JOD
HB: Bramble Lobb Freijah
C: Williams Libba Sanders
HF: West Naughton McNeil
F: Darcy Marra Weightman
R: English Bont Treloar
I: Richards VDM Gags/Garcia Doc Harmes
E: Coff Khamis Garcia/Gags

Depth: JJ?, Keath?, Scott, Baker, Poulter, Gardner, Smith, Cleary

Pups to surprise?: Buss, Sanders, Croft, Clarke, A. Jones
Draftees x 4-5
DFA: Small forward would be nice for depth; McHenry, Taylor, J. Jones available & maybe Konstanty too

Garcia & Harmes take the fringe roles vacated by CD & Jack.

If we can get some development in our good kids, some kids in the fringe force themselves into the 23 and nail most of picks then things look pretty good. There?s plenty of cash to keep trying to attract players next year and then of course West and possibly Cooney the year after.

JanLorMill
09-10-2024, 10:44 AM
Keath again is a worry.

Axe Man
09-10-2024, 10:56 AM
Keath again is a worry.

There is a fair chance he's not on the list next year but even if he is he is going to be a fair way back in the KPD depth chart. That would be the least of my worries.

Axe Man
09-10-2024, 10:58 AM
Assuming CD, Jack & Smith get traded and no mature players come in. Still looks solid with 100% effort.

I: Richards VDM Gags/Garcia Doc Harmes

Depth: JJ?, Keath?, Scott, Baker, Poulter, Gardner, Smith, Cleary

Pups to surprise?: Buss, Sanders, Croft, Clarke, A. Jones
Draftees x 4-5
DFA: Small forward would be nice for depth; McHenry, Taylor, J. Jones available & maybe Konstanty too

Garcia & Harmes take the fringe roles vacated by CD & Jack.

If we can get some development in our good kids, some kids in the fringe force themselves into the 23 and nail most of picks then things look pretty good. There?s plenty of cash to keep trying to attract players next year and then of course West and possibly Cooney the year after.

The wing that Williams isn't on is still a concern. We need Sanders to get games but I'm not sure he's suited to the wing. There are a few candidates but no clear choice. Hopefully someone will emerge over the preseason.

dukedog
09-10-2024, 11:19 AM
JF on a wing. CD if he stays to HB. Sanders on the interchange. Harmes Emergency.

Either Keith or Gardner delist. Buss needs game time if jones or lobb go down.

Darcy to kick 50+ goals next year if he stays fit.

I can see Jamarra going to Tassie and croft being good to go by then. 2 first round picks on good young mids to come through for Libba replacements.

Axe Man
09-10-2024, 11:24 AM
JF on a wing. CD if he stays to HB. Sanders on the interchange. Harmes Emergency.

Either Keith or Gardner delist. Buss needs game time if jones or lobb go down.

Darcy to kick 50+ goals next year if he stays fit.

I can see Jamarra going to Tassie and croft being good to go by then. 2 first round picks on good young mids to come through for Libba replacements.

Gardner is contracted for 2 more years, he won't be delisted.

bornadog
09-10-2024, 11:27 AM
Keath again is a worry.

There is a fair chance he's not on the list next year but even if he is he is going to be a fair way back in the KPD depth chart. That would be the least of my worries.

He was cooked two years ago

Rocco Jones
09-10-2024, 11:35 AM
Breaking it down into roles, here are my thoughts:

KPDs

Would be awesome if Jones and Lobb can stay to a similar level to this season. Worried about Jones being a bit cooked, hopefully it was more his knee and he is able to get over it.

With the 3rd tall we seemed to like to go with a medium/tall type in JOD or Buku. Makes sense for the spot but I didn't think either bought enough when it mattered. They were able to take intercept marks when we were on top and the delivery from opposition was predictable but struggled otherwise.

To me it's like playing an allrounder who can't really bat or bowl well enough for a spot in the side. I'd like to see Buss in the side if we believe he has the confidence to go for intercept marks in AFL. Lacks mobility but at least gives us a strength. 3 talls who can take an intercept mark when it gets tough.

Smaller defenders

Dale looked back to being an elite HBF. Doc looked at least passable/serviceable as a small defender and having more of the same next season would be a W. Bramble also passable as a foot soldier type there. Would like to free up Freijah to play on the wing. If JJ stays fit, I think he will still be quality with his ability to breaking lines. A massive if though.

CBA guys

Bont, Adz and Ed the main guys. Hope we are more proactive with their time outside of CBAs, like not moving Bont forward just when he is tagged out of the game. Really need Ed to step up when Bont is down. Leaves one main spot free and thinking it's time for Libba to exit and Sanders to get a real crack at it.

Wings

Truck and Freijah could be our best wing duo for awhile.

KPFs and ruck

Bundling them in.

Pretty clear now English isn't really a pure R1. Positive is, he has the attributes to influence the game forward and most would have seen him more as a ruck/fwd hybrid, maybe time to really see how that goes. I'd like to see Darcy and English share the ruck if we see Sam as able to take on a bigger load there. Perhaps time i based on how game is going, a bit harder to predict for the opposition. Using our lack of a constant R1 as a bit of an advantage.

Marra and Naughts in the other two roles and we just need to extract as much as we can from the four. Could receive a massive boost in this area or continue to be frustrated/realise perhaps they are overrated and/or unbalanced as a collective.

Smaller forwards

Probably go in with Cody, a deeper small forward and two high HFFs/pressure act types.

A bit of a view we are top heavy with the 3 tall forwards. Cody's poor games really heightens the issue imo as he kinda plays tall. He has been really poor when we've struggled. Would love to see him get a bigger crack at pre-season to cover more ground. Need him to have some influence in games other than kicking 2-3 goals.

West is a bit goals or nothing too but can bob up when we are struggling. Not as dangerous as Cody.

I think the MC are aware that McNeil and Vanders, particularly the latter, are not world beaters but perhaps two of the only players on our list able to play the HFF/pressure forward role with their speed, agility, stamina and intent. Would love to have options for this role that fill the prerequisites and also impact the scoreboard. Might be a factor in chasing XOH. Arty there too.

Fringe guys

Wonder what we do with players like Harmes and Garcia. I am huge on using VFL to replicate what you want to see in AFL and it does my head in seeing our guys have a stack of CBAs in VFL then playing wing/HFF/small fwd in AFL. I get it for young players as you are balancing short and long term but not anyone else.

Do we see Garcia and/or Harmes as getting CBAs in AFL at all? Perhaps Garcia but can't see if for Harmes. I'd just play him forward in VFL if that's the case. Really give him a crack at it. Same as Daniel for whatever role we see for him.

bornadog
09-10-2024, 11:59 AM
Great post RJ and a good summary of the team.

We really need to build up some young mids for the future, an area that could be a problem, especially if we have injuries.

A Duryea and JJ replacement is the other area we need to cover in the future. Is this an area that either Harmes, Gags or Garcia can be played?

Just on JOD, most people are surprised to see that he is 197cm but seems to play like a midsized HBF/BP. We need him to develop more and take the next step. He is only 22 and played 26 games, so he has lots of development left.

Rocco Jones
09-10-2024, 12:17 PM
Yeah, forgot to mention Gags too.

I'd love to see a bit more purpose with how we use Garcia, Sanders, Gags and Harmes. Daniel too if he stays.

Playing VFL in a role that's setting them up for AFL. Sanders a bit different as an eye on the future too but if we are planning to play him on the wing and/or forward in the AFL, replicate that more with his time in the VFL.

azabob
09-10-2024, 01:26 PM
Gardner is contracted for 2 more years, he won't be delisted.

Prove it.

MrMahatma
09-10-2024, 03:00 PM
Are we excited by Sanders still? If he was in the year's draft at our pick, would we take him?

I feel like he needs to overtake Libba now. If he's too good for VFL (which I think he is) so should be in the AFL, then I think Libba is likely to get the Jacko/Daniel treatment next season.

GVGjr
09-10-2024, 03:11 PM
Are we excited by Sanders still? If he was in the year's draft at our pick, would we take him?

I feel like he needs to overtake Libba now. If he's too good for VFL (which I think he is) so should be in the AFL, then I think Libba is likely to get the Jacko/Daniel treatment next season.

Very excited by having Sanders on our list and it was great to get some games of development in him before the 2025 season. We will now have a vastly better idea of what he needs to work on over the summer.

Axe Man
09-10-2024, 03:36 PM
Prove it.

His sister's neighbour's hairdresser told me. You will just have to take my word for it.

bulldogtragic
16-10-2024, 07:55 PM
I: Richards VDM Gags/Garcia Doc Harmes/Kennedy

1eyedog
17-10-2024, 09:55 AM

Yep I'm all in on Sanders. Love Libba but he is declining sharply.

comrade
17-10-2024, 10:28 AM
Yep I'm all in on Sanders. Love Libba but he is declining sharply.

I agree his playing time might be limited next year but I hope he accepts that roles change and he just does what he has to.

I can live with Caleb and Jacko in another jumper. I could never with Libba. He stays until he?s squeezed every second of AFL footy from his body.

bulldogsthru&thru
17-10-2024, 10:33 AM
I agree his playing time might be limited next year but I hope he accepts that roles change and he just does what he has to.

I can live with Caleb and Jacko in another jumper. I could never with Libba. He stays until he?s squeezed every second of AFL footy from his body.

Libba will retire instead of playing for another club. Guaranteed.

Mantis
17-10-2024, 10:52 AM
I: Richards VDM Gags/Garcia Doc Harmes/Kennedy

A lot to play out in terms of opponent, venue and how pre-season tracks, but if the bolded players are in the centre square for Rd 1 a little piece inside of me will die.

As a group they haven't got it done, so the mix needs to change.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2024, 10:58 AM
A lot to play out in terms of opponent, venue and how pre-season tracks, but if the bolded players are in the centre square for Rd 1 a little piece inside of me will die.

As a group they haven't got it done, so the mix needs to change.

What or who are you hoping to see personally?

Mantis
17-10-2024, 11:27 AM
What or who are you hoping to see personally?

Come back to me in February. :)

Richards starts in the midfield and potentially one of Sanders or Garcia... I'm hoping for/expecting rapid improvement from the latter 2 and we need Ed's pace in the middle from the get-go.

Our core 3 were embarrassed against Hawthorn so in my mind they've has their chance, so we need to look at other options.

Bigdog
19-10-2024, 10:18 AM
FB: Dale L.Jones Buss
HB: Freijah Lobb JJ
C: Williams Treloar JOD
HF: McNeil Naughton A.Jones
FF: Weightman Darcy JUH

Mid: English, Richards, Bont

Inter: Gallagher VDM Sanders Libba

Sub: West

I’m usually pretty positive but I think that final and the trade period left a lot to be desired. Subsequently I’m not very bullish regarding next year. We have lost some very good albeit expensive depth with Macrae and Daniel. We have a lot of plodders on the list.

It’s hard to see anyone coming in over the off season playing round 1. Kennedy is a reasonable player, but I see him at this stage more replacement of depth. I don’t see him fitting in with Libba or Sanders (I really think we need to games into sanders - max you can play 2 of Kennedy, Libba and Sanders. I’d prefer only 1 as the direction of the game is speed).

I think Libba is also going to be a problem early in the season and will go down the same track as Daniel and Macrae. He and sanders will hurt the team balance.

We are desperately short on zippy/fast midfielders. I’d be training Weightman as a mid all offseason. And I say this every year getting either Naughton or JUH to play around the footy for a couple of stoppages. We really need to work out ways to bring either of these guys into a game when their not having it there way.

I’d also be moving everything to trade up to one of Richmond’s picks. I’d be trying to get into that top 12 echelon of the draft.

Finally I hope we throw a huge contract at SDK next year. His off contract so we can give geelong peanuts like they have done to us.

GVGjr
19-10-2024, 10:40 AM
FB: Dale L.Jones Buss
HB: Freijah Lobb JJ
C: Williams Treloar JOD
HF: McNeil Naughton A.Jones
FF: Weightman Darcy JUH

Mid: English, Richards, Bont

Inter: Gallagher VDM Sanders Libba

Sub: West

I’m usually pretty positive but I think that final and the trade period left a lot to be desired. Subsequently I’m not very bullish regarding next year. We have lost some very good albeit expensive depth with Macrae and Daniel. We have a lot of plodders on the list.

It’s hard to see anyone coming in over the off season playing round 1. Kennedy is a reasonable player, but I see him at this stage more replacement of depth. I don’t see him fitting in with Libba or Sanders (I really think we need to games into sanders - max you can play 2 of Kennedy, Libba and Sanders. I’d prefer only 1 as the direction of the game is speed).

I think Libba is also going to be a problem early in the season and will go down the same track as Daniel and Macrae. He and sanders will hurt the team balance.

We are desperately short on zippy/fast midfielders. I’d be training Weightman as a mid all offseason. And I say this every year getting either Naughton or JUH to play around the footy for a couple of stoppages. We really need to work out ways to bring either of these guys into a game when their not having it there way.

I’d also be moving everything to trade up to one of Richmond’s picks. I’d be trying to get into that top 12 echelon of the draft.

Finally I hope we throw a huge contract at SDK next year. His off contract so we can give geelong peanuts like they have done to us.

That's a very interesting R1 side Bigdog.

Was Bramble someone you just missed or is he someone you don't rate?
I would think Kennedy would very much be in the mix for R1 but you have explained your logic there.
JOD on a wing and Arty over West are interesting selections.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2024, 10:42 AM

I would think Kennedy would very much be in the mix for R1 but you have explained your logic there.

Bevo almost always plays his new traded players from the get go. Hard to see Bevo bucking his own trend.

Bigdog
19-10-2024, 10:57 AM

I prefer JJ as a footballer to Bramble. I still think there is life in his legs. If I had the team I wanted I’d probably drop Libba out and bring in Bramble, but I know Bevo rightfully can’t not play a spiritual leader like Libba for Round 1.

JOD - Bevo is on record saying long term JOD could be a wing. Therefore if Buss is good enough with the coverage of khamis there is no time like the present for him to have a crack there. I’ve always loved the theory of a tall winger.

Arty - the game is moving to speed and ground coverage. Despite arty not getting much game time at seniors and some supporter knocking him I thought his last year as a whole was much better at vfl level than the previous 2. He is a low volume dangerous footballer with good pressure. He also had an interrupted preseason so there is no reason he can’t go to another level.

Bigdog
19-10-2024, 11:01 AM
I prefer JJ as a footballer to Bramble. I still think there is life in his legs. If I had the team I wanted I’d probably drop Libba out and bring in Bramble, but I know Bevo rightfully can’t not play a spiritual leader like Libba for Round 1.

JOD - Bevo is on record saying long term JOD could be a wing. Therefore if Buss is good enough with the coverage of khamis there is no time like the present for him to have a crack there. I’ve always loved the theory of a tall winger.

Arty - the game is moving to speed and ground coverage. Despite arty not getting much game time at seniors and some supporter knocking him I thought his last year as a whole was much better at vfl level than the previous 2. He is a low volume dangerous footballer with good pressure. He also had an interrupted preseason so there is no reason he can’t go to another level.

The other consideration is Liam Jones. I really didn’t like him in a few of those games at the back end of the year. He looked slow.

Potentially he isn’t a lock.

Bigdog
19-10-2024, 11:03 AM
Bevo almost always plays his new traded players from the get go. Hard to see Bevo bucking his own trend.
Hard to see where he fits for me. I’d preference playing Sanders.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2024, 11:06 AM
Hard to see where he fits for me. I’d preference playing Sanders.

More an observation of Bevo than a critique of your side. I hope Sanders is absolutely playing R1.

soupman
19-10-2024, 12:35 PM
Not sure on calls for JOD straight in as a wing. I get the appeal of a tall winger who moves well, but he has never shown a propensity to find the ball, and aside from being a good runner for his size what tricks has he shown that we specifically want to utilise in that role?

Feels a bit like we are trying to shoehorn Nick Cox into the side when JOD is the only young tall defender we have that has actually played AFL.

The Underdog
19-10-2024, 01:26 PM
The other consideration is Liam Jones. I really didn’t like him in a few of those games at the back end of the year. He looked slow.

Potentially he isn’t a lock.

I think he’s a lock for Rd 1. But his last couple of games had massive alarm bells ringing.
Maybe he’d just worn down, but it was concerning.

I think this is Libba’s last year and the Kennedy pick up is a contingency for that. Good enough to be best 22 and step into that inside mid role too.

CarnTheScray
19-10-2024, 01:30 PM
Is there a reason as to why so many are quick to list JOD in the starting team? Personally of Buss is ready I would play him over JOD, he looked lost in the final.

CarnTheScray
19-10-2024, 01:32 PM
Kennedy will play Round 1 and justifiably so. He is not like a Harmes or a Bramble who were playing VFL for their former club or delisted.

Lets us go back to the midfield style we had with Dunkley on 2021 except with more options this time such as Richards.

Go_Dogs
19-10-2024, 02:19 PM
B: Bramble, Jones, JOD
HB: Dale, Lobb, Treloar
C: Freijah, Richards, Williams
HF: Sanders, Naughton, McNeil
F: English, Marra, Weightman
R: Darcy, Bont, Kennedy
IC: Libba, West, JJ, Gallagher
Sub: VDM

I?m probably on my own but I?d be looking at a move of Treloar to half back. We can extend his career, use his calm head and pace, and he?s shown in patches when he?s play there he can do it. It also helps unlock our midfield rotations.

JOD supports Jones and Lobb ahead of Coffield and Khamis, but it?s a spot up for grabs.

Duryea hasn?t quite made my side but is in the mix.

I?ve pushed Freijah upto the wing. Let?s get some games into him in this position and he can play a range of different roles as required. His kicking and 80m play make him a player we need to play through as much as possible.

Sanders starts in the high forward / midfield poison chalice role for us. I?m probably putting the Dale Morris on him but what can you do. He?s our next in line midfielder and I?m hoping he can demonstrate his core strength and running power here with a goal sense.

McNeil has earned a spot in our forward mix and is ahead of West and VDM right now, bu absolutely that spot is another up for grabs.

I?m starting Darcy for the CB and English forward and having them rotate with higher comfort levels of English doing work around the ground but not as the starting big man in the square.

Libba is on the bench, again for our midfield mix, I want to start Bont, Richards and Kennedy and Libba will play plenty in there but he?s now a rotation not a mainstay. I?m not sure what other string he adds to his bow over summer? It kinda feels high midfield minutes or bust but let?s see.

JJ as our spare runner, West as our spare forward/midfielder and Gallagher/Garcia for the last spot. I went with Gags because the MC will, but it?s down to those two for me.

VDM as starting sub given he can play all over and will make the side if fit based on history.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2024, 02:26 PM
McNeil over West? West had a break out year.

The comparison says West is ahead:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=6564&pid2=6895&fid1=S&fid2=S

GVGjr
19-10-2024, 02:44 PM
Is there a reason as to why so many are quick to list JOD in the starting team? Personally of Buss is ready I would play him over JOD, he looked lost in the final.

Had Buss debuted this season he'd probably get a few more wanting him and while JOD is probably a slight favorite all that could change over summer's training. Busslinger is close to being right in the mix.

mighty_west
19-10-2024, 04:04 PM
B - Duryea - Jones - Busslinger
HB - Bramble - Lobb - Dale
C - Freijah - Kennedy - Williams
HF - Jamarra - Weightman - Naughton
F - Garcia - Darcy - West

C - English - Bont - Richards

INT - Treloar - Sanders - JOD - Liberatore

SUB : VDM

Time for Busslinger to play, obviously things possibly change with a few players depending on pre season but as of right now this is what i'd like to see, JOD, Buku, Coffield all fighting for the one position, Jones is also a watch to see how he's holding up.

A fit and firing JJ also comes in for consideration for the defensive running positions, heck even a wing if needed, Freijah get's to a wing, just feel as though it will end up being his natural position although midfield time could be the go sometime down the track.

Kennedy straight into the middle, Jamarra and Naughton like to run, a little strange with Flea at CHF but he's a good mark as we know plays better with less of the talls in the forward like so if those two get on their bikes it gives him space and Darcy too as the close to goal marking option, obviously all forwards will rotate and and play various positions in the fwd half, West and Cody with more centre square action into the mix which will also get those two into the game more, Garcia too.

Had CD earmarked to play as a small forward for something different, yes understand he's not a "natural" forward yet he did play forward quite a bit in the under 18's rotating from the midfield and did it well, but he's gone now so Garcia slots in.

I have a watch on Libba, not sure how long he has left as much as well love him, he's on the bench but he could also be last season's Daniel or MacRae, seems to be really slowing down and those damn head knocks!

DOG GOD
19-10-2024, 04:26 PM
B - Bramble - Jones - ????
HB - Freijah - Lobb - Dale
C - ???? - Kennedy - Williams
HF - Jamarra -Naughton- Treloar
F - weightman- Darcy- West

C - English - Bont - Richards

INT - JJ - Sanders - JOD - Liberatore

SUB : Gags

No McNeil. No Vandermeer…they aren’t best 22.
The ???? Is because I don’t rate whst we have…either not good enough, or not ready.
English was almost “?????” As well.

soupman
19-10-2024, 04:37 PM

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=6564&pid2=6895&fid1=S&fid2=S

Very different trajectories. West had a good season end poorly and didn't even get picked for the final. McNeil finished with the best form of his career so far in a role we are desperate to fill

HF - Jamarra -Naughton- Treloar
F - weightman- Darcy- West

No McNeil. No Vandermeer?they aren?t best 22.

Well considering they both play the role we are keen for 2 guys to fill every week and that none of the guys listed above do then I think they kind of are? I assume you are saying that role isn't necessary to be filled, or that they aren't clearly better than Jones there?

bulldogtragic
19-10-2024, 04:47 PM
Very different trajectories. West had a good season end poorly and didn't even get picked for the final. McNeil finished with the best form of his career so far in a role we are desperate to fill

Well considering they both play the role we are keen for 2 guys to fill every week and that none of the guys listed above do then I think they kind of are? I assume you are saying that role isn't necessary to be filled, or that they aren't clearly better than Jones there?

I’m not being anti-McNeil. And I think we missed by not playing West in the EF. He averaged over 3 tackles a game and kicked 25 goals and had 15 goal assists. A bloke who contributed 40 goals this season is to me ahead of McNeil. They can both play and I’d consider McNeil a switch to defence where he might shine even brighter, or West more midfield time. 40 goals from him directly and in assists, who also chases and tackles, is not a guy I personally leave out of my Round 1 team or rate ahead of McNeil who finished off well.

Go_Dogs
19-10-2024, 07:57 PM

I’ve got West in my 22, so it’s a close call on who starts in the 18 as I said in my post. We’ve got some competition for those spots. McNeil’s to lose currently but a lot to play out over the next 4 months.

DOG GOD
19-10-2024, 08:10 PM

And that’s really my point soupaman. They shouldn’t be best 22, ….they probably are in that 20-26 bracket, but that also shows where our list is. Imho.

bulldogtragic
19-10-2024, 08:20 PM
I’ve got West in my 22, so it’s a close call on who starts in the 18 as I said in my post. We’ve got some competition for those spots. McNeil’s to lose currently but a lot to play out over the next 4 months.

Fair enough. The Treloar call is interesting as I think too we need to manage him and mix up our mid mix. I can see the benefit of him with his speed spending time off the HBF, but also off the HFF as his goal kicking accuracy is great (29.11 over the passed two years, some posters in that too).

Go_Dogs
19-10-2024, 09:00 PM
Fair enough. The Treloar call is interesting as I think too we need to manage him and mix up our mid mix. I can see the benefit of him with his speed spending time off the HBF, but also off the HFF as his goal kicking accuracy is great (29.11 over the passed two years, some posters in that too).

Yep. Treloar and Libba are fascinating case studies.

Treloar has more scope for a number of roles and I actually see half back as an area of need with another experienced runner / playmaker. It’s kinda like when Boyd went back, or some of the roles players like Pendlebury etc have played over recent years (or at least, roles I think they’ve played).

Libba is a harder one. If he’s not spending 85% game time in the contest, where does he go?

bulldogtragic
19-10-2024, 09:44 PM
Yep. Treloar and Libba are fascinating case studies.

Treloar has more scope for a number of roles and I actually see half back as an area of need with another experienced runner / playmaker. It’s kinda like when Boyd went back, or some of the roles players like Pendlebury etc have played over recent years (or at least, roles I think they’ve played).

Libba is a harder one. If he’s not spending 85% game time in the contest, where does he go?

If I’m completely honest with myself, I have a big concern about our performances next year and Libba. He’s in the guts in it on the bench. His gap between poor and good footy seems to be increasing and I think time it’s catching him quickly. I hope he proves me wrong, but I’m a little worried as I think if he’s selected Bevo has no real choice other than to back him in. But I’m not confident that’s the best thing.

Go_Dogs
20-10-2024, 08:10 AM
If I’m completely honest with myself, I have a big concern about our performances next year and Libba. He’s in the guts in it on the bench. His gap between poor and good footy seems to be increasing and I think time it’s catching him quickly. I hope he proves me wrong, but I’m a little worried as I think if he’s selected Bevo has no real choice other than to back him in. But I’m not confident that’s the best thing.

I agree. We’ve seen with Macrae the struggle to get inside players without pace into other roles and it’s not easy. I can’t see him playing as a defender, forward, wing, high forward, running back…. Maybe as a tagger if we decide to go that way? Who knows. I hope he and the coaching staff are pondering how they make it work in some capacity (or at least provide a framework to see how it goes). If we’re Libba in the middle or bust in 2025 it’ll be to our detriment I expect (he’s proven me wrong before).

bulldogtragic
20-10-2024, 08:24 AM
I agree. We’ve seen with Macrae the struggle to get inside players without pace into other roles and it’s not easy. I can’t see him playing as a defender, forward, wing, high forward, running back…. Maybe as a tagger if we decide to go that way? Who knows. I hope he and the coaching staff are pondering how they make it work in some capacity (or at least provide a framework to see how it goes). If we’re Libba in the middle or bust in 2025 it’ll be to our detriment I expect (he’s proven me wrong before).

He could tag, but Bevo won’t tag. So it is circular. Plus when we’ve had run ons against us in the middle he can’t help stop it (not alone) and his blind handballs that turn into turnovers and often goals is just not exiting his game after coming into it a few years ago. Like you I hope he dispels my concerns and has a great year, maybe Bevo tweaks the game plan that suits him better, but I can’t bet on it. Time catches everyone, even our best like Tom.

He is only one more concussion off probable retirement too. But he won’t stop the way he plays like Picken. That would be simply horrible to see.

Now if things move passed Tom hypothetically, the media pile on Bevo if Libba plays VFL will be beyond epic. Even if he ‘plays him out of position’ there will be a pile on. But I think we know that won’t stop Bevo doing it. But if he’s without a contract next year, during the year, then it could be a media circus.