PDA

View Full Version : Who could be our next Bramble for season 2025?

Dry Rot
16-10-2024, 10:23 PM
I think most of us would agree that one bright spot in season 2024 was the pick up of the delisted player Bramble who I reckon had a pretty good season.

So is there another delisted Bramble like player out there for us for season 2025? Who might that be?

GVGjr
16-10-2024, 10:34 PM
I think most of us would agree that one bright spot in season 2024 was the pick up of the delisted player Bramble who I reckon had a pretty good season.

So is there another delisted Bramble like player out there for us for season 2025? Who might that be?

I hope Happy Days jumps into this thread. He called Bramble nice and early.

Darcy Macpherson has some interest from my perspective, BT is throwing some names like McHenry and Curtis Taylor forward.

Over the next couple of weeks some names for consideration will start to come forward.

jazzadogs
16-10-2024, 10:51 PM
Jack Hayes as a ruck backup and Jaxon Prior as a medium defender are both players I would be interested to learn more about.

bornadog
16-10-2024, 11:20 PM
Jack Hayes as a ruck backup and Jaxon Prior as a medium defender are both players I would be interested to learn more about.

As Kane Cornes has said and I have eluded to, ruck is not important any more. Look at Geelong they don't have a ruckman. We have English, Darcy, Lobb and Lachie Smith :D

bulldogtragic
17-10-2024, 06:39 AM
As Kane Cornes has said and I have eluded to, ruck is not important any more. Look at Geelong they don't have a ruckman. We have English, Darcy, Lobb and Lachie Smith :D

Darcy is a forward. Lobb is a defender. Smith is on his P Plates. English has no competition for the first ruck. I’m open to looking at competition for Tim if only to fire him up to fight for the role.

The small forward market is Taylor & McHenry.
The small defender market is Jones & Darcy Mac.

If those are our needs (a Doc coverage, replacement - and AOD/Rypstra replacement) then these are the more higher profile names although I’m studying the fuller lists as the lists gets culled. We probably need to cut Keath to grab a DFA and I’m good with this.

Mofra
17-10-2024, 06:43 AM
Conway is close to their most untouchable young player.

GVGjr
17-10-2024, 06:57 AM

You were suggesting that we should pay 1.2M a year for Tim even though you now actually support Kane's view on rucks not being important? That was a lot of money you were prepared to pay for a non important role. :)
As BT highlights Darcy is a forward who provides a chop out in the ruck. If he had to ruck for for many weeks that is a big loss for us.
We could use Lobb but he was very impressive as a defender and it's more or less applying a patch to a problem.
Smith (we now don't need to add Lachlan to his name) is a long way off.
We need another option because I don't think using players like Gardner in that role will work.Time will tell if the club chooses to address it. We also have to acknowledge that Tim has had his challenges with concussions.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2024, 07:13 AM
You were suggesting that we should pay 1.2M a year for Tim even though you now actually support Kane's view on rucks not being important? That was a lot of money you were prepared to pay for a non important role. :)
As BT highlights Darcy is a forward who provides a chop out in the ruck. If he had to ruck for for many weeks that is a big loss for us.
We could use Lobb but he was very impressive as a defender and it's more or less applying a patch to a problem.
Smith (we now don't need to add Lachlan to his name) is a long way off.
We need another option because I don't think using players like Gardner in that role will work.Time will tell if the club chooses to address it. We also have to acknowledge that Tim has had his challenges with concussions.

Tim also has big challenges in finals. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with saying Tim knows for a fact he’s playing each week no matter how good or bad he plays because he has no competition for the role. He’s the only guy on the list who doesn’t need to fight for his spot. This year he played like it. But like you, I’m not sure the club will address it unfortunately.

bornadog
17-10-2024, 09:27 AM

Rucks as in just hit outs, the old fashioned ruck role is dead- the ruckman needs to do alot of work around the ground, which Tim does.

PS: On salary I said we should pay market value.

Happy Days
17-10-2024, 09:30 AM
There hasn’t been anyone I’ve seen delisted yet that I’d want to bring on board, but typically the better options will get cut in the next few weeks now that trade week is mercifully over.

I hope we keep our powder dry for now.

GVGjr
17-10-2024, 09:31 AM
Rucks as in just hit outs, the old fashioned ruck role is dead- the ruckman needs to do alot of work around the ground, which Tim does.

PS: On salary I said we should pay market value.

I don't disagree, I wanted us to keep Tim but it's an important role that needs have some coverage. Suggesting Darcy, Lobb and Smith as the coverage if Tim misses to me is problematic

PS And in the voting selected 1.2M

bornadog
17-10-2024, 09:33 AM

That is what I thought West Coast were offering, so I picked market value.

GVGjr
17-10-2024, 09:43 AM
That is what I thought West Coast were offering, so I picked market value.

Fair point.

bornadog
17-10-2024, 09:53 AM
I don't disagree, I wanted us to keep Tim but it's an important role that needs have some coverage. Suggesting Darcy, Lobb and Smith as the coverage if Tim misses to me is problematic

If we get someone for coverage, they have to be prepared to play VFL, like Tom Campbell is doing at Dees and not have ambition like Sweet.

GVGjr
17-10-2024, 10:11 AM
If we get someone for coverage, they have to be prepared to play VFL, like Tom Campbell is doing at Dees and not have ambition like Sweet.

Exactly. We need a player capable of coming in for 4 to 8 weeks during the season like Fort did for Brisbane.
Lobb was clearly that man for us but has turned himself into a very good back man. Now we need to see if we can find someone else. Perhaps we can't but we really should be open to it.

azabob
17-10-2024, 11:30 AM
Conway is close to their most untouchable young player.

He is made of glass though, just cannot get it together. Had the dreaded navicular injury also.

Mofra
18-10-2024, 12:38 PM
Matt Kennedy or Jedd Busslinger.

Happy Days
18-10-2024, 12:51 PM
I really like Busslinger. He just looks like a gun out there, so composed and pretty nice disposing of it. I’d prefer him to JOD starting round 1.

dukedog
18-10-2024, 01:02 PM
Matt Kennedy or Jedd Busslinger.

Is the question regarding Bramble being a delisted play that we get for basically nothing.?

Or just a player that has a breakout season? from the current list?

Mofra
18-10-2024, 01:41 PM
Is the question regarding Bramble being a delisted play that we get for basically nothing.?

I assume that we didn't pick anyone up as a DFA.
I guess it's just a player who becomes a significant part of the team without the expectation they would pre-season.

jazzadogs
18-10-2024, 01:45 PM
I fully expect Matt Kennedy to be a significant part of the team.

And OP does specifically ask "is there another delisted Bramble like player out there for us for season 2025?"

dukedog
18-10-2024, 01:48 PM
Apologies. He does.

Lachlan McNeil

hujsh
18-10-2024, 03:07 PM
Maybe if we delist and rookie Clarke and he comes good post his US trip he can count

GVGjr
18-10-2024, 04:31 PM

I think that was the intention more than who might be the most improved. I could be wrong though.

Bullies
18-10-2024, 05:02 PM
I really like Busslinger. He just looks like a gun out there, so composed and pretty nice disposing of it. I’d prefer him to JOD starting round 1. I'd like to see JOD play on the wing. Has pace, excellent grab and would be a hard person to match on as a go to player out of defence with his height and agility. Need to remember he still has yet to have full pre season in senior football. Will only improve.

Go_Dogs
20-10-2024, 08:34 PM
I’d love to say McHenry or Gollant as nothing would give me more joy than a former Crow becoming a star with us.

Ethan Hughes from Freo is one who holds a bit of interest too, but can’t say I’ve followed him too closely the last 12-24 months so no idea if he’d still be a decent addition to our backline.

jeemak
20-10-2024, 11:47 PM
Gallagher is the one who will step forward after a bit of experience and really smash it next year.

Has the body, running capacity and finishing capacity. He's the next big thing......or at least top ten in the B&F candidate.

GVGjr
21-10-2024, 06:42 AM
Gallagher is the one who will step forward after a bit of experience and really smash it next year.

Has the body, running capacity and finishing capacity. He's the next big thing......or at least top ten in the B&F candidate.

Good call, he impressed a lot of people early in the season and then struggled later in the year. If he has another level in him he could have an impressive season in 25. Gallagher actually having another level is important to see if he can move from being a handy player to someone more reliable. Understandably the jury is still out on what his best position might be for us.

macca
21-10-2024, 08:11 AM
I am hoping it be Harmes or else it be a waste recruiting him.

We have lost Macrae and Daniel.

He needs to bring more than them each week and play the full season.

GVGjr
21-10-2024, 08:29 AM

Harmes needs to really start repaying the faith to the recruiting team and coaches that traded for him.
He potentially could be a big improver for us but outside of a decent run for about 6 weeks he just had trouble staying fit enough and didn't impress that much.

Sedat
21-10-2024, 09:19 AM

Would be a good start if he could prevent almost all of his kicks being smothered

jazzadogs
21-10-2024, 10:22 AM

I haven't gone back to get receipts, but I'm pretty sure I said we'd be lucky to get one good game per year from him during his three year contract.

We probably got two this year, with his best game a 100 point demolition of the Richmond VFL side - I don't expect that to improve in 2025 unless we get to play more injury riddled opposition.

Sedat
21-10-2024, 10:33 AM
I haven't gone back to get receipts, but I'm pretty sure I said we'd be lucky to get one good game per year from him during his three year contract.

We probably got two this year, with his best game a 100 point demolition of the Richmond VFL side - I don't expect that to improve in 2025 unless we get to play more injury riddled opposition.
He was also very good against St Kilda in that Thursday night demolition that got our season back on track and was close to BOG in the wet at Homebush against GWS. Injuries ruined the back half to his season, and people are bashing him for being selected for the EF when everybody on here in the lead-up to finals were demanding his selection after being clear BOG in the VFL final loss to Southport.

He's a soft target - bad tatts, throwing ice on the Dogs players after 2021, coming from the Demons, preferred over Macrae for starting 22 in the EF, questionable cowboy boots/speedos IG content.

I'm staying the course - he's team-first and will play roles that others cannot/will not. Needs a big pre-season and get rock-hard fit. There's an obvious role as high half-forward and also defensive wingman - he's good enough to take it.

jazzadogs
21-10-2024, 12:28 PM
I don't have any faith in his body to allow him to consistently perform at the high level he is capable of.

I disputed his recruitment not because he is untalented or unmotivated, but because his body is deteriorating and his ability to play consistent football is very low as a result. I think injuries will continue to ruin his seasons, no matter how fit he seems to be.

MrMahatma
21-10-2024, 12:47 PM
Harmes' recruitment was a mistake.

I'm expecting Kennedy to have an impact.

I'm hoping Freja will have an early break out season. Given the baseline of his performance off his first pre-season, I have high hopes.

Mofra
21-10-2024, 12:50 PM
If we're taking massive fresh air swings, I'll say Curtis Taylor

Go_Dogs
21-10-2024, 02:08 PM
Would be a good start if he could prevent almost all of his kicks being smothered

His pace and kicking was what had many predicting he’d play a bit of senior footy after 2023. He’s got the ability. Let’s see how he goes with another good pre-season under his belt. He needs a clear role too.

Grantysghost
21-10-2024, 02:16 PM
If we're taking massive fresh air swings, I'll say Curtis Taylor

Isn't he just another Bedendo?

Mofra
21-10-2024, 03:01 PM
Isn't he just another Bedendo?
More of a ground-level player rather than a 3rd marking tallish type. Can fly for them though when given an opportunity.

Mantis
21-10-2024, 05:47 PM

We couldn?t be further apart in our expectations of Gallagher as we are right now.

He was gifted games this year and showed little to warrant the confidence shown in him.

Hopefully you are right as we do need players of his ilk to show rapid improvement if we are to improve year on year.

Dry Rot
21-10-2024, 09:17 PM
I think that was the intention more than who might be the most improved. I could be wrong though.

You are correct

The OP was pretty clearly about finding the next Bramble i.e. discarded player from one of the other 17 teams, not what which existing dogs player might improve.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-10-2024, 10:39 PM
Don't see it with Gags as a mid for now.

I'd rather we develop him as a BP. I feel he gets lost as a mid, while that isn't unusual for young players, he really was carried for much of the year.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-10-2024, 10:42 PM
You are correct

The OP was pretty clearly about finding the next Bramble i.e. discarded player from one of the other 17 teams, not what which existing dogs player might improve.

One for BT - any BP discards around or ruck insurances?

I know there's a few delisted small forwards but it's a hard position to play. You need high end talent IMO (think Watson). If we are looking at a DFA, I'd be looking at a specific role which doesn't require the creativity of a SF.

jeemak
22-10-2024, 01:05 AM
We couldn?t be further apart in our expectations of Gallagher as we are right now.

He was gifted games this year and showed little to warrant the confidence shown in him.

Hopefully you are right as we do need players of his ilk to show rapid improvement if we are to improve year on year.

I look at his body and his running ability and think with more development over a decent preseason his production will increase.

An interesting comparison I thought about was with him and Matthew Boyd. Both a little late to AFL environments, but physically reasonably developed when they first started getting games. Here's them against each other in their respective first seasons of consistent games (which for Boyd was 2004 and roughly the same age Gallagher was this season):

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=I&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=7084&pid2=210&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2004

In Boyd's next year (2005) he didn't take a huge leap:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=I&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=7084&pid2=210&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2005

The following (2006) things really kicked off for Boyd:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=I&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=7084&pid2=210&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2006

Hoping that Gallagher can trend in the same direction as a similar player for mine, but a little earlier given player development seems to have improved these past twenty years with younger small to medium sized players seemingly taking on more earlier.

Anyway, that's not the point of the thread apparently, so........

azabob
22-10-2024, 07:24 AM
A mate of mine suggested Ben Patton from the saints over a few soda waters on Friday night.

Not a bad suggestion, can play on small and medium forwards.

Unsure why the saints did not play him this year?

azabob
22-10-2024, 07:27 AM
I look at his body and his running ability and think with more development over a decent preseason his production will increase.

An interesting comparison I thought about was with him and Matthew Boyd. Both a little late to AFL environments, but physically reasonably developed when they first started getting games. Here's them against each other in their respective first seasons of consistent games (which for Boyd was 2004 and roughly the same age Gallagher was this season):

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=I&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=7084&pid2=210&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2004

In Boyd's next year (2005) he didn't take a huge leap:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=I&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=7084&pid2=210&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2005

The following (2006) things really kicked off for Boyd:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=I&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=7084&pid2=210&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2006

Hoping that Gallagher can trend in the same direction as a similar player for mine, but a little earlier given player development seems to have improved these past twenty years with younger small to medium sized players seemingly taking on more earlier.

Anyway, that's not the point of the thread apparently, so........

Someone needs to start a Garcia v Gallagher thread.

GVGjr
22-10-2024, 08:33 AM
A mate of mine suggested Ben Patton from the saints over a few soda waters on Friday night.

Not a bad suggestion, can play on small and medium forwards.

Unsure why the saints did not play him this year?

Over the years he's had a poor run with injuries and while his form in the VFL was very good they had no faith with him at the senior level.

Mantis
22-10-2024, 04:18 PM
Someone needs to start a Garcia v Gallagher thread.

Someone needs to acquaint himself with the location of the Yarraville nets. :D

azabob
22-10-2024, 04:37 PM
Someone needs to acquaint himself with the location of the Yarraville nets. :D

I’ve had many invites but the location is still a mystery to me!

SquirrelGrip
22-10-2024, 05:00 PM
I don’t really know enough about him but Curtis Taylor is 24, has a good athletic profile, nice highlights package, is originally from Keilor, and could play wing/half forward/half back. A true utility.

If he’s prepared to work hard, he potentially has more upside than Poulter or Baker.