PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs hope Fiji will prove a recruiter's paradise

LostDoggy
30-04-2008, 02:08 AM
Bulldogs hope Fiji will prove a recruiter's paradise

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23620194-19742,00.html

Mark Stevens | April 30, 2008 12:00am

EXCLUSIVE THE Western Bulldogs are in the midst of a Fijian treasure hunt to uncover the next Nicholas Naitanui.

Inspired by the athletic feats of this year's likely No. 1 draft pick, the Dogs have spent the past six months secretly planning a recruiting assault on Fiji.

Dogs recruiting manager Scott Clayton first visited Fiji in January and has returned to the capital Suva twice in the past three weeks.

"Project Fiji" is being funded by supporter and businessman Shaun Bassett.

Clayton has already built a strong network throughout Fiji, including members of Naitanui's extended family.

The Dogs will continue regular visits to Fiji, eyeing the opportunity to sign several athletes suited to the transition to Aussie rules.

Clayton had been determined to keep the Fijian push under wraps for fear of giving up a competitive advantage.

But after the Herald Sun learnt of his links to Naitanui's family, Clayton yesterday confirmed the club was deadly serious about the Fiji experiment.

"I don't want to give out too many details but, yes, I have been there," Clayton said.

"We've got a benefactor on board to go where no one else has."

The Dogs rank Fiji as a more economical opportunity than the more traditional recruiting ground of Ireland.

Under AFL rules to promote international recruiting, clubs can tie up players by paying them an up-front fee of $1000.

They can then be added to lists as international rookies.

Clayton's interest was sparked 18 months ago when he first laid eyes on Naitanui, the 17-year-old West Australian ruckman of Fijian descent who is already dominating at WAFL level with Swan Districts.

"I asked, 'Where's he from?', and someone said Fiji. I said, 'Well, I'm going there'," Clayton said. "I spoke to Nicholas's mother last year and said, 'This might be a rude question, but is there any more like him over there?'

"She said, 'Yes, of course'."

Clayton described Naitanui as the most exciting junior athlete he had seen.

"People will just go and see him, even if they don't barrack for a team," Clayton said.

Clayton showed Bassett vision of Naitanui and he was quick to offer to dig into his pocket.

Bassett, who owns a successful cleaning business, said last night: "It's worth the punt. Scotty Clayton has done some very good things for the Dogs. If he thinks it's a goer, I'm happy to be on board.

"Naitanui is such an exciting player."

Bassett was also involved in bank-rolling the costs involved in placing Tom Davidson on the Dogs' rookie list in 2006.

The Fiji experiment has been strongly backed by Bulldogs chief executive Campbell Rose.

Most of Clayton's scouting has been centred on secondary school rugby sevens.

He is intent on finding tall, mobile players in the mould of 196cm Naitanui.

The Coon Dog
30-04-2008, 06:40 AM
I was in the rooms before the Richmond match & met up with Shaun. I asked if he was still involved as a players sponsor & he said, "No, it's much more involved than that, under wraps at the moment, but something that's never been done before."

I wondered what it was & now I know.

Really nice bloke too!

aker39
30-04-2008, 10:11 AM
As mentioned in the article, I think it would have been better if this had been kept under wraps.

I'm sure Collingwood have got someone on the plane right now.

Go_Dogs
30-04-2008, 10:41 AM
As mentioned in the article, I think it would have been better if this had been kept under wraps.

I'm sure Collingwood have got someone on the plane right now.

Agreed but it was bound to happen. Very few secrets stay that way these days in the footy world.

Seems like a fantastic idea, should be interesting to follow and see what develops over the next 18 months. Sounds like we must like the look of Naitanui too.

ledge
30-04-2008, 10:47 AM
So i take it Naitanui is one of our overseas rookies, is that right?

ledge
30-04-2008, 12:29 PM
I know about him , my remark was about how the article was written, it implies we have him as an overseas rookie ,yes it says he is the number 1 draft pick, but they also say that about Ayce Cordy who no doubt we will pick up under father , son rule.
Bassett putting his hand in his pocket, Clayton talking to his family, implies we have him.
By the end of the article it can be mistaken we have him.
If i lived overseas and only saw that article it would be a bit confusing that way.

Topdog
30-04-2008, 01:17 PM
I know about him , my remark was about how the article was written, it implies we have him as an overseas rookie ,yes it says he is the number 1 draft pick, but they also say that about Ayce Cordy who no doubt we will pick up under father , son rule.
Bassett putting his hand in his pocket, Clayton talking to his family, implies we have him.
By the end of the article it can be mistaken we have him.
If i lived overseas and only saw that article it would be a bit confusing that way.

Nah, it just implies to me that we are talking to his family to get some knowledge about other people in Fiji.

We have no chance of getting this kid.

westdog54
30-04-2008, 01:41 PM
As I see it, the fact that this project is being funded by a benefactor and not the club means that there is no real risk/loss for the club, except perhaps A few weeks Clayton misses watching local U/18 comps. And in any case he'd have his spies at these comps anyhow. Good initiative by Clayton.

hujsh
30-04-2008, 02:34 PM
I like it. Shows our club becoming more proactive.

The fact that we're first says a lot.

Dancin' Douggy
30-04-2008, 03:47 PM
So i take it Naitanui is one of our overseas rookies, is that right?

Now that's interesting. What if Scott Clayton has already payed him $1000?
And is waiting 'til the right time to officially list him as an overseas recruit?
If he's a citizen of Fiji it might be possible. It just might be!?!?!:confused:

Sockeye Salmon
30-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Now that's interesting. What if Scott Clayton has already payed him $1000?
And is waiting 'til the right time to officially list him as an overseas recruit?
If he's a citizen of Fiji it might be possible. It just might be!?!?!:confused:

To be classified to be an International recruit you're not allowed to have played aregistered game of Australian rules at any level.

If we discovered a Kiwi playing for Wellington in the NZ league he would have to be drafted like everyone else.

ledge
30-04-2008, 06:38 PM
To be classified to be an International recruit you're not allowed to have played aregistered game of Australian rules at any level.

If we discovered a Kiwi playing for Wellington in the NZ league he would have to be drafted like everyone else.

So the AFL wants teams to recruit or work on kids they have no idea they can play or not?
Isnt it a bit silly?
Would think bringing anyone from overseas would be a bonus for them, should be encouraging it not slamming rules in to stop it
I wonder if the $1000 is classed in the salary cap?
Heres a good future thought... teams start recruiting players from NZ eventually we get enough players to form a team over there, only need about 10 the others can come from OZ, then we start talking international game.
Bit like the A league team in soccer.

mjp
30-04-2008, 10:57 PM
If I am ever a recruiter, I am going to search far and wide for recruits on all South Pacific islands with sunny weather, beautiful girls and great surf.

Sure as heck beats watching u16's in Ballarat in early August.

Dancin' Douggy
01-05-2008, 12:36 AM
Might unearth some good players in Hawaii as well. Or the south of France.

Go_Dogs
01-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Might unearth some good players in Hawaii as well. Or the south of France.

I hear St. Tropez has a lot of potential. Let's get a benefactor to hook us up a 200 ft viewing yatch, and off we go. :D

Bulldog Revolution
01-05-2008, 04:07 PM
If I am ever a recruiter, I am going to search far and wide for recruits on all South Pacific islands with sunny weather, beautiful girls and great surf.

Sure as heck beats watching u16's in Ballarat in early August.

Aint that the truth

Part of me thinks that strategies for scouring all of the less well known leagues in Oz might be the place to start

Sockeye Salmon
01-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Aint that the truth

Part of me thinks that strategies for scouring all of the less well known leagues in Oz might be the place to start

There wouldn't be too many places not being watched by club scouts.

Braedon Jones was playing for the Musselbrook Cats in the Tamworth league.

ledge
01-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Isnt that how we got Grant and Ford years ago, playing in lower grades in lower leagues

LostDoggy
01-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Jess Wells was a 'super athlete' aswell.

Can this Natui actually play footy?

LostDog
01-05-2008, 06:01 PM

Jesse Wells is the worst player in the NTFL with the Burnie Dockers at Present

GVGjr
01-05-2008, 06:10 PM

Yes he can play. I'm not sure he is worthy of all the accolades he has been getting of late or if he is potentially another Buddy Franklin or not but he is a talented footballer / athlete.

By the way Wells was regarded as a power athlete. Shame that he just wasn't a natural footballer.

GVGjr
01-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Jesse Wells is the worst player in the NTFL with the Burnie Dockers at Present

Is he getting a regular game? There has been a few highly rated Tasmanians of late that haven't quite measured up.

Sockeye Salmon
01-05-2008, 06:21 PM

I've only seen him the once - v SA @ Cranbourne - but yeah, he can play.

I can't remember who the SA ruckman was, I'm pretty sure he didn't get drafted, but he was about 204cm. Naitanui was only 194 (then) and simply jumped over him and barely lost a tap. Then he just ran around wherever he wanted to go and marked everything.

I had my doubts as to what position he would play at senior level, but he will do some damage Adam Goodes style.

ledge
01-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Jesse Wells problem was he believed he was better than his talent was and told you about it, but never kicked on. His room mate was Stephen Tiller and is the prime example of a good quiet kid trying his best to make it.

LostDog
01-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Yeah he is overhyped, Rory Hilton has been rumoured to be playing with Burnie aswell, Jessel has the worst hair cut in the league, blonde super mullet with dark sides

Sockeye Salmon
01-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Yeah he is overhyped, Rory Hilton has been rumoured to be playing with Burnie aswell, Jessel has the worst hair cut in the league, blonde super mullet with dark sides

When you're that bad a footballer you really shouldn't draw attention to yourself that way.

LostDoggy
01-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Sounds like you are speaking from expereince there Jim.

mjp
02-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Yes he can play. I'm not sure he is worthy of all the accolades he has been getting of late or if he is potentially another Buddy Franklin or not but he is a talented footballer / athlete.

By the way Wells was regarded as a power athlete. Shame that he just wasn't a natural footballer.

He is playing very good senior footy over here and if he has turned 18 it would have been in the last 30 days. Changed the game in round one when Swans played our mob - went forward in the 3rd quarter, took two super contested marks and kicked truly.

Now, I am not sure that Daniel Rich is worthy of all the hype given his recent form...but again, he is still eligible for the u18 champs and playing senior footy. But then again, so is Cal Ward!

GVGjr
02-05-2008, 12:30 AM
He is playing very good senior footy over here and if he has turned 18 it would have been in the last 30 days. Changed the game in round one when Swans played our mob - went forward in the 3rd quarter, took two super contested marks and kicked truly.

Now, I am not sure that Daniel Rich is worthy of all the hype given his recent form...but again, he is still eligible for the u18 champs and playing senior footy. But then again, so is Cal Ward!

Where would you seem him playing at the senior level? Key forward? Adam Goodes clone?

camwoof
02-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Check out this link to see a photo of Jesse Wells T http://www.burniedockers.com.au/seniorlist.htm

soupman
02-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Check out this link to see a photo of Jesse Wells T http://www.burniedockers.com.au/seniorlist.htm

That is disgusting. Up there for top 5 worst haircuts ever.

In drafts recently there have been a few good mature age pick ups late in the draft. Guys like Fisher, Lake, Davey, Morris and Taylor have all proven themselves as good players at AFL level after missing out when they were first eligible. I think the club should really look at recruiting these mature age players with their last pick in drafts, or at the very least as rookies. Priddis is another I believe, and these guys are already physically developed. You would think the players who are consistently in the VFL bests should be looked at, because if they had of been on an AFL list they probably would have been given a chance by now.

I understand that we probably have had a god look at these guys, and have probably passed on them for a number of reasons, but surely there are a few capable players running around in the state leagues.

Also should the Bulldogs work on getting local players who have the potential to be drafted to play for Williamstown if overlooked? For instance, say there are two 18 year olds from the Western Jets who have the right attributes, but just haven't done enough yet to warrant getting drafted. Could the club get these guys down to Williamstown for the season, where they can learn from VFL staff and occasionally Bulldogs staff as well, and thus develop them without being on our list. Then if they improve like we hope we can draft them, and we have one or two players who we have developed without taking up a spot on our list. Effectively it would mean instead of just developing the 44 players on our list, we could potentially be developing 50 players at a time with little risk with the 6 or so players not officially on our list.

The Doctor
02-05-2008, 08:59 PM

Those guys don't help give Tasmanians a good name

Sockeye Salmon
02-05-2008, 09:49 PM
That is disgusting. Up there for top 5 worst haircuts ever.

In drafts recently there have been a few good mature age pick ups late in the draft. Guys like Fisher, Lake, Davey, Morris and Taylor have all proven themselves as good players at AFL level after missing out when they were first eligible. I think the club should really look at recruiting these mature age players with their last pick in drafts, or at the very least as rookies. Priddis is another I believe, and these guys are already physically developed. You would think the players who are consistently in the VFL bests should be looked at, because if they had of been on an AFL list they probably would have been given a chance by now.

I understand that we probably have had a god look at these guys, and have probably passed on them for a number of reasons, but surely there are a few capable players running around in the state leagues.

Also should the Bulldogs work on getting local players who have the potential to be drafted to play for Williamstown if overlooked? For instance, say there are two 18 year olds from the Western Jets who have the right attributes, but just haven't done enough yet to warrant getting drafted. Could the club get these guys down to Williamstown for the season, where they can learn from VFL staff and occasionally Bulldogs staff as well, and thus develop them without being on our list. Then if they improve like we hope we can draft them, and we have one or two players who we have developed without taking up a spot on our list. Effectively it would mean instead of just developing the 44 players on our list, we could potentially be developing 50 players at a time with little risk with the 6 or so players not officially on our list.

I've long been an advocate of using the rookie list for 20yos.

Western Jets players that don't get drafted go to Willi as it is. Werribee used to get Geelong Falcons.

mjp
03-05-2008, 01:35 AM
Where would you seem him playing at the senior level? Key forward? Adam Goodes clone?

Yeah, I guess. I still think he will spend a heap of time in the ruck - his stoppage work (including when the ball hits the deck) is very good.

The Underdog
03-05-2008, 03:32 PM

#6 Mavrick Weller!!! Someone's parents need to be punished severely.