PDA

View Full Version : Round 8 2008 - Bulldogs vs Freo Preview

mjp
11-05-2008, 07:16 PM
OK. I know, I know. This is supposed to be up Tuesday and there are a couple of gaps accordingly...but between footy training (Monday and Tuesday night), Match Committee (Tuesday night) and the two hour time difference, it is now or never.

For those who dont know, I moved back to Perth this year and actually have a Dockers membership as well as my collection of Dogs ones, simply because that is the only way to go to a footy game over here...so I have seen Freo live on three occasions thus far:
- Vs Geelong
- Vs Richmond
- Vs Hawthorn.

I have made a couple of assumptions - like, people know who the Dogs injuries are, the Dogs style of play etc - so have left that stuff out. If you want it, please simply comment to that effect and I will add it in there!

==================================================
MATCH:
Fremantle vs Western Bulldogs
Sunday May 18th, Subiaco Oval.

2:40pm (local time - 4:40pm eastern)

FORM THIS SEASON:
Bulldogs
6 wins, 1 draw (against the Tigers).

Fremantle
5 close losses – including heart breakers against Geelong and Melbourne in rounds 6 and 7, 1 thumping (from Richmond) and 1 win (against the hapless West Coast)

PLAYERS MISSING:

Freo Injury list (May 9th)

Matthew Carr, ankle – 2-3 weeks
Antoni Grover, quad soreness – test – EXPECT to PLAY
Roger Hayden, hamstring soreness – test – EXPECT to PLAY
Des Headland, knee – test – EXPECT to MISS
Luke McPharlin, buttock – test – EXPECT to PLAY
Luke Pratt, ankle – TBA
Luke Webster, knee – Round 12
Paul Hasleby, knee – Season

LAST MEETING:
TIO Stadium (Darwin), Round 12 2007
Western Bulldogs (22-9-141) defeated Fremantle (16-19-115)

Goals - B Johnson 5, M Hahn 3, R Murphy 2, L Darcy 2, M Boyd 2, J Akermanis 2, A Cooney, D Giansiracusa, J Harbrow, S Higgins, F Ray, S West
Best -
Goals -M Pavlich 3, D Headland 2, D Solomon 2, C Tarrant 2, S Dodd, A Sandilands, D Mundy, R Warnock, J Walker, H Black, P Bell

We really ran away from them after half-time that night defying the steamy conditions to with a 5.1 third term that gave us a narrow lead (1 point - 15.6 (96) to 13.17 (95)) before finishing them off with a 7.3 to the Dockers' 3.2 fourth quarter.
Fremantle then got in all sorts of trouble at an after match function (hello Mr Tarrant) and we entered the mid-season break with a record of 7 wins, 5 losses.
Brownlow Votes:
Johnson (WB) - 3, Bell (FD) – 2, Boyd (WB) - 1
PLAYERS UNDER THE PUMP:
Bulldogs

Josh Hill – Started the season like a house on fire, but has certainly cooled off since round 3. Needs to get back to playing some basic, one-on-one footy (good starting points) rather than trying to get every possession in 50m of space.

Not too many others, which is what happens I guess when you are undefeated after 7 weeks.

Freo
Scott Thornton – poor – very poor – last week against Melbourne and not exactly on fire before then. If he survives the chop he needs to get back to the aggressive running that has been admired from him in the past.

Chris Tarrant – Remains under pressure, and the Freo faithful have no real affection for him (which the press know, so he is always listed in the paper as under pressure) but the reason is simple – he is not working hard enough. Once it was said he worked harder than an on-baller – now he barely works harder than a Fevola.

STYLE:
Freo will try and play a loosey behind the ball – this often ends up as Mundy. He will either start in the hole and push forward, or start on a wing/half forward and push through the contest to set up position behind the ball. They will then try to work that loose player into space in the centre square and use him as the outlet player from a wide exit from the defensive zone…(they will switch back and forth trying to get the ball to Hayden or McPharlin as they seem to be the designated kickers). All fine in theory, and (as Geelong found out) it can be pretty devastating if they are able to hit targets and get players from half back flowing downfield in numbers.

When it goes wrong though, boy does it go wrong. Freo have 3 defenders – Hayden, McPharlin and Grover (add Drum to this if he gets a game) – who seem to understand that they actually have opponents, with the others seemingly being told to focus on run and carry more than manning up. So, if they lose possession with a disposal error – or if the opposition is simply prepared to work harder than them to get numbers to the contest –the opposition will kick an easy goal on the rebound.

Like all teams I guess, turnovers are death, but for Fremantle and the fact that their mids continually miss targets/get outworked and their defenders are so keen to roll the dice…well, it equals even more trouble.

KEY DUELS:
Ben Hudson vs Aaron Sandilands
Last time I watched the Dockers at Subi, Sandilands had 42 hitouts, 24 possessions (20 contested) and 2 goals. He was an absolute monster, and effectively won them the game (even though they lost!). BUT. When Geelong kicked goals in a hurry – 2nd q and 4th q – Sandilands was the man in the centre square and centre clearances to the Cats fired both revivals. So I really have no idea what to think. I know this though – I have seen Sandilands compete hard like that ONCE. I have seen Hudson do it in every single game I have watched him play. Hudson’s relentless effort at the contest – supported by Minson – will be too much for the Fremantle monster to overcome, particularly if Harvey doesn’t play Warnock, tries to use Gilmore as Sandilands backup and consequently burns Sandilands out as he realises 10 minutes in he has only one ruckman.

Ryan Crowley vs Adam Cooney
In the wreck that has become Freo’s season, Gisborne boy Crowley has reinvented himself as a close checking midfielder. He has collected the scalps of Gary Ablett and Nathan Jones in the last two rounds, and has to be odds on to pick up the competitions most damaging midfielder (2008 season, rounds 1-7 category) in Adam Cooney. Crowley is quick and good overhead and will run forward – he has turned into a very dangerous run with player. Cooney should be too quick off the mark for him – should be – but a Crowley will stick at it and Adam needs to set himself for a tough night.

Other Mids? Boyd goes at it with Palmer (Freo’s most effective midfielder at the moment!), Cross and Bell fight it out. I suspect Ibbotson will play in the middle, but would love to see him and Hill go at it on one wing.

Matthew Pavlich vs Brian Lake
Pavlich is interesting. He rarely misses, and rarely plays a shocker. Given. But for those of us who see more than the highlights, you are always left thinking that he always leaves a little bit of something in the tank. The Melbourne game was classic Pavlich – two late goals in the 3rd that could have sealed it…he went into the centre square at the start of the last, but couldn’t touch it and Melbourne kicked two goals. He then went FORWARD – not back?? – and had zero influence on the rest of the contest. Lake – to me – is the opposite. He always seems at his best when things aren’t going the teams way – and he has gone FORWARD to provide a contest and take a grab at a couple of opportune moments this year.

Pavlich has the pedigree, the speed, the skills and the reputation. But he is in for one helluva get go on one player who will take it to him when the opposition have the ball.

Jeff Farmer vs Dale Morris
Don’t believe the bad things you read about Farmer – he is a very, very, very team focussed player – at times his unselfishness costs his team. He doesn’t have the spring of earlier days, but if he could get rid of the fumbles that have plagued him below his knees for the past 3 weeks would again be amongst the games leading small forwards. Morris is just the player for him (though I suspect Eade will go with Callan) as he will defend first, run off second, and Farmer needs to be watched. If he and Pavlich can be kept off the scorers sheet, the Bulldogs WILL win. (And yes, this means that Callan takes Mayne which is a match-up I kind of like.).

Robert Murphy vs David Mundy
I am not convinced about this, and believe that Marcus Drum is the right match-up for Murphy – who has the cleanest hands in the business – but Harvey seems at a loss on how to use Drum and I suspect Mundy will get the job. Mundy WILL zone off – that is what he does – and can be dangerous with the ball in hand, but he needs to understand that the Dogs attack through Murphy and cut off his leads.

Other Dogs forwards? Grover will take Welsh, McPharlin should take Johnno, Dodd goes to Hahn. I really have no idea who they put on Minson…unless it is McPharlin there is really no-one else. In that case, Dodd has to take Johnno which leaves someone like Thornton or Drum on Hahn…

WHO WILL WIN & WHY?
Fremantle could very easily win this game. They have shown in the last two weeks that they have the talent, and the ability to score heavily. But they have also shown that they can leak goals and miss targets when the heat is really on.
The Bulldogs have done nothing so far this season to suggest that they will allow Fremantle them to out-number them at the contest – which is the pre-requisite for success at Subiaco oval – but one thing has me concerned.
Richmond.
The Dogs had every right to expect that they would beat the Tigers, and were simply outworked – they did not put in the same level of effort that they displayed vs the Swans. And I worry about this. I worry they will treat the trip – coming after a week off and time with family/friends being told how well they are going as an extended holiday. Whilst Fremantle are seething about losing to Melbourne in very poor circumstances and having the whole town tell them they are not up to it and a disgrace to each other, the club, their families, their home towns, their states and their nation. I reckon the Dockers will have a go. And if we aren’t ready for it, we will not get the chocolates.

Bulldogs by 29 points.

ledge
11-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Well this game i see as Streets biggest chance to get a game, he has been killing them in the seconds and i imagine Sandilands would be the best match up for Street to take on this season.
To me if he doesnt get a game against Sandilands his only chance of playing for us again is because of injury.
Does anyone agree?

bornadog
11-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Well this game i see as Streets biggest chance to get a game, he has been killing them in the seconds and i imagine Sandilands would be the best match up for Street to take on this season.
To me if he doesnt get a game against Sandilands his only chance of playing for us again is because of injury.
Does anyone agree?

I agree we need Street for his height, but who would you drop?

ledge
11-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Thats my point if he cant get a game this week,it means we dont have anyone that Eade thinks should be dropped for him even if he is perfect opponent for Sandilands.
Depending on weather could make difference too.
Eades problem not mine thank god.

1eyedog
11-05-2008, 08:15 PM
I agree we need Street for his height, but who would you drop?

We would have to drop Minson and that ain't gonna happen IMO. Street will not play. Huddo will work hard at ground level to make up for lack of hit outs and our mids will have to read Sandilands out of the air. We could lose this no two ways about it, it's a tougher game than we think but I don't think our boys will be taking it lightly.

Scraggers by 21 points.

LostDoggy
11-05-2008, 09:24 PM
3 keys to beating the Dockers - Pressure ,Pressure ,Pressure!!!!

Bulldog Revolution
11-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Chris Tarrant – Remains under pressure, and the Freo faithful have no real affection for him (which the press know, so he is always listed in the paper as under pressure) but the reason is simple – he is not working hard enough. Once it was said he worked harder than an on-baller – now he barely works harder than a Fevola.

Jeff Farmer vs Dale Morris
Don’t believe the bad things you read about Farmer – he is a very, very, very team focussed player – at times his unselfishness costs his team. He doesn’t have the spring of earlier days, but if he could get rid of the fumbles that have plagued him below his knees for the past 3 weeks would again be amongst the games leading small forwards. Morris is just the player for him (though I suspect Eade will go with Callan) as he will defend first, run off second, and Farmer needs to be watched. If he and Pavlich can be kept off the scorers sheet, the Bulldogs WILL win. (And yes, this means that Callan takes Mayne which is a match-up I kind of like.).

Nice one mjp

Spent a bit of time in Perth just before the start of the season and took the train to Freo to have a look around. Went to the Freo ground and had a look in the Sth Freo rooms etc.

Was asking some of the people around (who were not associated with Freo) who were the players who worked really hard, answer JFarmer by a mile, always working on his shots for goals, his snaps, set shots etc, very dedicated.

Although perhaps not the athlete of yesteryear I still rate Farmer highly

The Coon Dog
11-05-2008, 11:46 PM
The problem with Freo is they're like a lucky dip you got as a kid; you just didn't really know what you were going to get.

Great preview mjp, thought you'd get this one.

Lake v Pavlich is going to be crucial. Win that battle & it's significant in the overall scheme of things.

Can't understand why anyone would contemplate bringing in Street. Ruck our ruckmen against Sandilands. If he's too tall, jump into him to make it difficult for him to tap with any direction. I'd back our midfield regardless of ruckwork.

Midfield run & carry will be crucial, consequently I think Farren Ray may come into the team, but I'm blowed if I know at whose expense.

To our WA WOOF posters, I hope you enjoy the day!!

1eyedog
12-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Midfield run & carry will be crucial, consequently I think Farren Ray may come into the team, but I'm blowed if I know at whose expense.

Agreed, could see Hill for Ray this Sunday.

ledge
12-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Can't understand why anyone would contemplate bringing in Street. Ruck our ruckmen against Sandilands. If he's too tall, jump into him to make it difficult for him to tap with any direction. I'd back our midfield regardless of ruckwork.

Im not worried if Street plays or not, just saying if Street was to get a game this year you would think his best chance was against Sandilands.
Otherwise barring injuries can you see Street getting a better match up in any other teams to get a game?
He is doing a great job at Willy but sadly for him we cant find a spot for him, even if there looks like a match up in the opposition.
Which because of our great first team perfomances tells me Street will struggle to stay on list in the future.

Dry Rot
12-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Matthew Pavlich vs Brian Lake
Pavlich is interesting. He rarely misses, and rarely plays a shocker. Given. But for those of us who see more than the highlights, you are always left thinking that he always leaves a little bit of something in the tank. The Melbourne game was classic Pavlich – two late goals in the 3rd that could have sealed it…he went into the centre square at the start of the last, but couldn’t touch it and Melbourne kicked two goals. He then went FORWARD – not back?? – and had zero influence on the rest of the contest. Lake – to me – is the opposite. He always seems at his best when things aren’t going the teams way – and he has gone FORWARD to provide a contest and take a grab at a couple of opportune moments this year.

Pavlich has the pedigree, the speed, the skills and the reputation. But he is in for one helluva get go on one player who will take it to him when the opposition have the ball.

Great preview mjp.

Haven't seen much of Freo but IIRC Pavlich can play further up the field - who would go with him then?

Big Dog
12-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Wonder if Pavlich will be too quick for Lake on the lead? Pavlich is strong but also very quick and smart...Wonder if Morris being our best defender and very quick might be a better match up for Pavlich.

bornadog
12-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Wonder if Pavlich will be too quick for Lake on the lead? Pavlich is strong but also very quick and smart...Wonder if Morris being our best defender and very quick might be a better match up for Pavlich.

Didn't Morris play on him in Darwin last year? I think you right that this will be the match up.

Bumper Bulldogs
12-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Fantastic review,

I am nervous about this one, i think that the media is getting stuck into the Players and the coach.

We will need to be up and going from the bounce as i don't think we will be able to pull back a lead if they get their tails up.

Dogs by 5 points.

Mantis
12-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Fantastic review,

I am nervous about this one, i think that the media is getting stuck into the Players and the coach.

We will need to be up and going from the bounce as i don't think we will be able to pull back a lead if they get their tails up.

Dogs by 5 points.

Considering in there last 2 games they have let slip big leads I wouldn't get to worried if we are behind early on. In an earlier thread it was stated that Freo are a very poor 4th qtr team whereas we are one of the best.

LostDoggy
12-05-2008, 03:12 PM
To our WA WOOF posters, I hope you enjoy the day!!

Thanks Coon Dog- we will!

For everyone in Perth the WA Supporters Group will meet at the Irish Club (Townsend Road, Subiaco) for the post-match function. Also, if you happen to be in the city drop in to Tiger Tiger cafe in Murray St (near Belgian Beer Cafe). Branden and Claire are Doggies fans, and some of the team drop in there when they are in town- most likely those who fly over on Thursday. Coffee's great too!

As for the match- what everyone else has already said.

1. Negate Pavlich.
2. Pressure on the Fremantle ball carriers and contested footy = turnovers.
3. Fremantle have their pride and credibility to play for- 100% effort required from the Dogs.

1eyedog
12-05-2008, 03:28 PM

Brian Lake is one of the quicker full backs going around, especially over 20m. I'd back Blakey over Pavlova in a 25m sprint actually. Lake is also much stronger than Morris as well. I'd be starting Lake on Pavlova. IMO Lake is our best defender, not Morris. Lake is our best spoiler anyway and he'll need to do a lot of that come Sunday.

ledge
12-05-2008, 03:28 PM
But dont forget they have a dill of a coach, he should be a plus for us.

Sockeye Salmon
12-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Brian Lake is one of the quicker full backs going around, especially over 20m. I'd back Blakey over Pavlova in a 25m sprint actually. Lake is also much stronger than Morris as well. I'd be starting Lake on Pavlova. IMO Lake is our best defender, not Morris. Lake is our best spoiler anyway and he'll need to do a lot of that come Sunday.

Lake would have him covered over 20m. Two problems with this, though -

1. the forwards get to say 'go' in this race (so does every other forward and that doesn't tend to worry Lake too much)
2. Pavlich has a big engine. Lake can keep up with him for a while but what happens when Pavlich runs him up and back (and side to side) 30 times?

ledge
12-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Think you find Lake likes to stay in the square when defending and usually when his player runs off someone else takes him and Lake just picks up the one closest to goals.
So Pav can run up and down all day wont worry Lake

1eyedog
12-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Think you find Lake likes to stay in the square when defending and usually when his player runs off someone else takes him and Lake just picks up the one closest to goals.
So Pav can run up and down all day wont worry Lake

Wight on McPharlin and Morry and Lake alternating on Pav and Tarrant maybe. I am just really worried about Morris being on Pav close to goal. If Pav plays deep I think Lake has to take him.

ledge
12-05-2008, 04:32 PM
If Pav plays deep I think Lake has to take him.

Exactly what i was getting at.

1eyedog
12-05-2008, 04:48 PM
If Pav plays deep I think Lake has to take him.

Exactly what i was getting at.

Yep I hear ya, just seconding the notion;)

ledge
12-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Yep I hear ya, just seconding the notion;)

Good to see there is 2 great minds on this site!

Bumper Bulldogs
12-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Considering in there last 2 games they have let slip big leads I wouldn't get to worried if we are behind early on. In an earlier thread it was stated that Freo are a very poor 4th qtr team whereas we are one of the best.

Hope you are right Mantis, I was more confident about batting Sydney than I am freo.

Mantis
12-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Hope you are right Mantis, I was more confident about batting Sydney than I am freo.

From what you have posted in the past your nervous every week so we are getting used to this kind of comment.

PS. We did score more runs than the Swans at the SCG due to our great batting display didn't we.:rolleyes:

Topdog
13-05-2008, 12:51 PM
The good thing about this match up is Freos biggest weakness is our greatest assest.

Their inability to stop teams scoring 5-6 goals in 10 minutes could really see us absolutely smashing them in 1 quarter and effectively killing off the game. What Geelong did to them in 10 minutes could happen again but hopefully we do it for 20 minutes.

If we don't allow Freo to get out to an early lead I think we will win by 10 goals.

Bumper Bulldogs
13-05-2008, 09:34 PM
From what you have posted in the past your nervous every week so we are getting used to this kind of comment.

PS. We did score more runs than the Swans at the SCG due to our great batting display didn't we.:rolleyes:

Mantis I was quite confident against the swans and tipped us by 45 points. (Thought we would set ourselves for this one)

Just have a funny feeling as Freo have their backs to the wall and the media given it to them.

BulldogBelle
14-05-2008, 05:14 PM
l an very nervous about this game.
Freo have gone thru the ringa and need this win badly.
l think it was lucky there was a week break l would of hated playing them the weak after their effort against Melbourne.

1eyedog
14-05-2008, 06:06 PM
I reckon we will continue our dominance over the mediocre teams and bury the Dockers by heaps in the last quarter.

alwaysadog
14-05-2008, 06:42 PM
l an very nervous about this game.
Freo have gone thru the ringa and need this win badly.
l think it was lucky there was a week break l would of hated playing them the weak after their effort against Melbourne.

Me too, I expect them to come out like bats from hell; they have been getting it from everyone. Any sign of complacency by us will be fatal. The issue will be whether we keep our composure and ride out the early passion because if the early effort doesn't keep them competetive or better they will drop off.

In spite of all that has gone down this year they aren't lacking talent, if they click we will be in for a rough ride. Someone's going to get them on a switched on day, hope it's not us.

FrediKanoute
14-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Thats my point if he cant get a game this week,it means we dont have anyone that Eade thinks should be dropped for him even if he is perfect opponent for Sandilands.
Depending on weather could make difference too.
Eades problem not mine thank god.

Cn't see Street getting a game and if he does I don't think it would work to our advantage. If the only thing which Streeta offer's is height then sadly it is not enough. From my perspective height alone will not beat Sandilands and more importantly Sandilands alone will not beat the Doggies. Yes we made concede the tap outs, but that just means our onballers have to work harder and put pressure on the Freo runners.

ledge
14-05-2008, 08:15 PM
I think the biggest thing is to keep up with them up to half time at the least, its there first 2 quarters that they are dangerous.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-05-2008, 08:29 PM
This month of football was always going to be the most challenging. Defying the odds/previous history and downing The Swans at the SCG was a super effort and should give the squad a serious boost of confidence. Freo on the other hand are going to be playing on passion - if we're able to keep up with them for the first half, even be a few up on them, I think there heads will drop pretty quickly once it starts getting tough. Granted - this week is probably as big of a test as the Sydney one.

To be a contender, you need to win on the road. It's important we back up the win against Sydney with another one over at Subiaco.

I would be inclined to bring another genuine runner in, as our midfield is the obvious key to this game. We've got plenty of winners up forward, it's a matter of getting enough of the ball to put the score on the board. Cooney may find it difficult with Crowley in form and with West out, we're probably needing more from Cross/Griffen. Perhaps this is where Ray would come in handy, as he's a very good runner and could further expose Fremantle's weakness (Their slow, second rate midfield).

Dry Rot
14-05-2008, 08:40 PM
I've read that Freo have some injury worries and that we might be facing the great Kepler Bradley!

BulldogBelle
14-05-2008, 09:49 PM
I've read that Freo have some injury worries and that we might be facing the great Kepler Bradley!

Yes, Harvey has mentioned that he will probably be in the side...interesting to note Freo's injury rate is very large now, with Kepler Bradley coming in it will be the 35th player they have used so far this season and it is only Round 8. In comparison we have used 25 players so far this season.

LostDoggy
14-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Mark Johnson was suspended for 2wks last night at the WAFL tribunal

BulldogBelle
14-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Mark Johnson was suspended for 2wks last night at the WAFL tribunal

I heard a snippet about that on the radio but didn't hear the full interview...what did he do?

Mantis
14-05-2008, 11:00 PM
I would be inclined to bring another genuine runner in, as our midfield is the obvious key to this game. We've got plenty of winners up forward, it's a matter of getting enough of the ball to put the score on the board. Cooney may find it difficult with Crowley in form and with West out, we're probably needing more from Cross/Griffen. Perhaps this is where Ray would come in handy, as he's a very good runner and could further expose Fremantle's weakness (Their slow, second rate midfield).

Some good points raised here.

So who makes way for the extra runner? Is Ray for Tiller the logical change?

LostDoggy
14-05-2008, 11:03 PM
I heard a snippet about that on the radio but didn't hear the full interview...what did he do?

Not sure. He can be a dangerous player in these 'backs to the wall' games, glad he is out.

LostDoggy
14-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Some good points raised here.

So who makes way for the extra runner? Is Ray for Tiller the logical change?

Ray for Hill
Everitt or Williams for Tiller

BulldogBelle
14-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Not sure. He can be a dangerous player in these 'backs to the wall' games, glad he is out.

Apparently it was for making forceful front on contact.

This from sportal (http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/harvey-wants-bigger-playing-lists-48408)

Going into this round's clash with the Western Bulldogs on Sunday, the Dockers have 10 players on their injured list, while Josh Carr and Mark Johnson are also unavailable due to suspension.

Glad Carr is still out also.

Mantis
14-05-2008, 11:38 PM

Haha...If Mark Johnson took us to the sword our players should walk off, never to return again.

LostDoggy
14-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Haha...If Mark Johnson took us to the sword our players should walk off, never to retuen again.

Not the player who will take u to the sword, but a Mitch Hahn type player. Can make things happen.
Dont get to cocky , we arnt world beaters. It will be a very good 4pts if we beat Freo

hujsh
15-05-2008, 06:48 PM
I'd do what we did to Pavlich last year. Have Lake on him deep and let Morris follow him up field.

ledge
15-05-2008, 07:11 PM
I'd do what we did to Pavlich last year. Have Lake on him deep and let Morris follow him up field.

You just hit the nail on the head Hujsh, you dont see Lake following his player up field very often at all, i think he only runs up the field if the opposition forwards all push up the ground.
Then he backs himself and sneaks up and kicks a goal, which makes the forward look really dumbfounded.

Bumper Bulldogs
15-05-2008, 08:15 PM
You just hit the nail on the head Hujsh, you dont see Lake following his player up field very often at all, i think he only runs up the field if the opposition forwards all push up the ground.
Then he backs himself and sneaks up and kicks a goal, which makes the forward look really dumbfounded.

Yes it is becoming a trade mark from this young man of 25. what I find hard to beieve is that the other sides haven't woken up to it yet. Looks like they (Lake & Whight)are following the lead of Shaggy. No wonder the other sides can't read the play.

1eyedog
15-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Morris on Pavlova up the ground and Lake on him deep was discussed at length earlier in thread. But generally, once again, I agree.

hujsh
15-05-2008, 08:39 PM
with ^^^that

McPharlin would be a defender most likely. He's becoming like Hunter thought where he can swing to either end.

(I just thought that last year the system we had against Pav worked with Harris (past tense TCD so don't point it out) taking contested marks when left alone deep)

LostDoggy
15-05-2008, 09:37 PM
It is inevitable that we will lose a game eventually. But I don't want to be the first of the big three:cool: to lose a game. :(

I don't like Mark Harvey, he sounded off against us when we were looking for a coach, saying he wouldn't want the job etc. To give Micky Malthouse credit - he stuck up for us. Seems to me just desserts that he is now the coach of Freo.

MrMahatma
16-05-2008, 02:43 AM
I think any changes will depend on fitness - we'll want to run this game out well and use endurance and speed as our advantage, given they're weaknesses of Freo.

I was a bit tentative about this one a week ago, now I think we'll romp it in. The boys should be fresh and there's no reason why Freo will be any more desperate or willing than the Crows in Rd 1, only they're not as good.

Wouldn't be surprised if we really spanked them.

LostDoggy
17-05-2008, 02:07 AM
I think any changes will depend on fitness - we'll want to run this game out well and use endurance and speed as our advantage, given they're weaknesses of Freo.

I was a bit tentative about this one a week ago, now I think we'll romp it in. The boys should be fresh and there's no reason why Freo will be any more desperate or willing than the Crows in Rd 1, only they're not as good.

Wouldn't be surprised if we really spanked them.

I tend to agree- I think it is my bulldog conditioning that always makes me so weary of being too confident.