PDA

View Full Version : Operation: Convert

Mofra
17-05-2008, 12:24 PM
We all know one.

Someone who has a remote interest in football, doesn't really have a team, but should obviously be a Bulldogs fan.

So a lady I work with used to follow the Hawks until she split with her husband, and has been living teamless for a few years. Upon finding out she lived in Altona for a period of time, her fate has become sealed. She will join us.

She has already commented on my Bulldog paraphernalia, and it is my new workplace non-work mission to recruit her. What I would like is an open discussion on how best to achieve this.

I have in my arsenal:
- A rapier-like wit (just ask me)
- A spare Teddy's Towel
- Some stickers, and;
- A cute dog who wears a Bulldog jumper whenever we play (win, lose or draw - dogs are very loyal you know).

Reasoned arguments may not be strong enough. A 1984-style room 101 initiation may prove to be too harsh.

Any suggestions?

GetDimmaBack
17-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Introduce her to one of the players.
When dealing with the uncommitted, never known it to fail!
Especially if that player knows in advance what he's dealing with...

ledge
17-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Take her to a game, hopefully one we win, make sure you are surrounded by nice people and not the odd embicile supporter. (not the hawks game,will bring back memories)

1eyedog
17-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Tie Teddy's towell around her wrists so she can't use her hands, stick the stickers all over her face and clothes and take her to the Bulldogs in the Grand Final this year with the cute dog in the Bulldogs jumper snarling in front of her making sure she is watching the Bulldogs maul the Cats. That should shock her into submission. Pretty witty I reckon (hey you should have already come up with that!) Umm, what ledge said might be better ^^^^^^^

firstdogonthemoon
18-05-2008, 09:00 AM
one of us one of us one of us

gabba gabba hey

play her some ramones

might not convert her but they are good to listen to

or if you are a zombie western bulldogs supporter you simply need to bite her for her to be infected

LostDoggy
18-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Everyone loves an underdog (hey it worked for me). Tell her the story of Fightback and how the people kept the club intact - compare it with Carlton's reliance on one member. Tell her a few stories about the loveable larrkan Teddy Whitten. If that doesn't work - get a free ticket to take her to the Bulldogs Footy Show when Doogs is on.

Mofra
18-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Cheers, will have to start subtle then work up to the "Doogs effect" methinks

MikeSheahan
18-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Nice box of chocolates, plenty of red wine, brush your teeth, plenty of aftershave and some smooth sweet talk is just a start. Worked on Mrs S for me!

BulldogBelle
18-05-2008, 09:32 PM
l know this works for kids but give it a go.
l always have my son on the look out for likely recruits to the bulldogs cause at school. When he finds one we usally hand out the exra hats, scarf's and stickers to them that we collect. You will be surprised how easy they are to bribe with gifts.
l might run for Prez of Zimbabwe, l am quite good with the bribes.
Just handed out the gear for 2 freinds kids on saturday.

Go the bribe:D

strebla
18-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Work hard on the fact that as a local is is the western bulldogs doing the hard yards also point repeatedly to B J Gia and young ward as local grown kids who could live next door

Mofra
24-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Just an update on this - and it ties in nicely on the "Wight as a Cult Hero" theory as well.

The picture that was on the back page of the Hun last Monday showed a shocked Wight in the group huddle - of course it was duly placed on the desk of said co-worker (who only works Wednesdays & Thursdays). After stressing the "representing the West" mantra, it appears to have had some effect (actually, I'm handing all credit to young Cam for this. Ruck, Defence, Attack, Endurance, and now recruitment - is there anything he cannot do?)

Might not expect a membership soon, but we're pretty close to supporter status :D

ledge
24-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Show her this web site and thread, thats gotta impress her, to know how much we care about our new found friend and supporter

strebla
24-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Just an update on this - and it ties in nicely on the "Wight as a Cult Hero" theory as well.

The picture that was on the back page of the Hun last Monday showed a shocked Wight in the group huddle - of course it was duly placed on the desk of said co-worker (who only works Wednesdays & Thursdays). After stressing the "representing the West" mantra, it appears to have had some effect (actually, I'm handing all credit to young Cam for this. Ruck, Defence, Attack, Endurance, and now recruitment - is there anything he cannot do?)

Might not expect a membership soon, but we're pretty close to supporter status :D

Good work Moffra best of luck