PDA

View Full Version : Good match reporting?

Bulldog Revolution
19-05-2008, 08:55 AM
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/1,9191,23719905-19742,00.html

Dogs planned for Freo choke
Jay Clark

May 19, 2008 12:00am
RODNEY Eade has told how his troops were fully prepared for Fremantle to fold like a deck of cards late in the Dogs' miraculous comeback win at Subiaco yesterday.

While delighted his team fought back from 18 points down midway through the last quarter to pull off its most spirited win of the year, Eade was adamant his unbeaten side was not yet closing the gap on Hawthorn and Geelong.

The Western Bulldogs coach conceded his team was ordinary for the first three quarters and needed a get-out-of-jail free card to record the three-point thriller at Subiaco Oval.

But Eade provided fascinating insight into their match planning, saying the team was well placed to secure the audacious win after holding mid-week talks about Fremantle's trend of fourth-quarter failures.

"We spoke during the week about what they were like as a fourth-quarter side, but we didn't mention that at three-quarter-time," Eade said.

"Stats sometimes do lie, but the fact is they are the worst-performed fourth-quarter team in the competition and I think we are either the best or second-best, and that was some comfort for the guys.

"But I think it was more comfort knowing that we have also been challenged during the past seven weeks and we were able to answer that challenge."

The Dogs' fightback, which stunned the Subiaco Oval crowd and leaves Fremantle gasping with one win from the first eight games, sealed the Bulldogs' second straight interstate victory.

But Eade refused to listen to his own team's hype, saying the Dogs did not deserve to be rated up with the ladder-leading Cats and Hawks.

"No, not yet, it's too early in the season. They are obviously the standouts and Geelong is the premiership side and they're undefeated, so it's a fair chance they are the No. 1 team in the competition," he said.

"And Hawthorn are playing fantastic footy. We are still a young side and we've got a long way to go. We didn't play well today."

Even for Fremantle, which has surrendered massive leads against Geelong (39 points) and Melbourne (51 points) this season, the Dockers' surrender was staggering.

Coach Mark Harvey put a positive spin on the result, pointing out the Dockers had lost their past three games by a combined 10 points.

"It seems to be a common trend with us," Harvey said.

"They just don't seem to show enough composure in the last quarter."

Some good news for Fremantle was the shining form of Essendon discard Kepler Bradley in his first Dockers match and a four-goal return from Chris Tarrant.

Bulldog Revolution
19-05-2008, 08:56 AM
What did people make of this headline and story?

Was it really a fascinating insight?

or

Just the use of standard/cliche AFL statistics?

GetDimmaBack
19-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Sounds scarily like Ryan Griffen's "they gave up" comment a couple of years ago...
Hope this one doesn't come back to haunt us!

However, the Hun has certainly put a controversial spin on what Rocket actually said!

Sockeye Salmon
19-05-2008, 10:50 AM
"We spoke during the week about what they were like as a fourth-quarter side, but we didn't mention that at three-quarter-time," Eade said.

"Stats sometimes do lie, but the fact is they are the worst-performed fourth-quarter team in the competition and I think we are either the best or second-best, and that was some comfort for the guys.

Where does he mention 'choke' or 'fold like a pack of cards'?

PS Packs of cards don't actually fold. They can be shuffled, dealt, thrown on the ground 52-pick-up style but it is actually quite difficult to fold an entire pack. You could fold them one at a time but that would be time consuming.

A 'house of cards' collapses easily. Do you think that's what they meant?

ledge
19-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Maybe should have put fold like an origami class?
Then again ,just say the truth and mention they have forgotten how to win and dont know how to hang on to a lead.

LostDoggy
19-05-2008, 12:36 PM
"Fold like a house of cards" is the saying, I think you'll find. Good old Hun, with it's quasi-grammatical non-linear cliche-ridden pseudo-logical error-ridden articles. Sometimes I don't know if I'm even reading English when I peruse that rag.

hujsh
19-05-2008, 03:07 PM
"Fold like a house of cards" is the saying, I think you'll find. Good old Hun, with it's quasi-grammatical non-linear cliche-ridden pseudo-logical error-ridden articles. Sometimes I don't know if I'm even reading English when I peruse that rag.

I don't really like any papers right now but i have the Hun ahead of the Age

Rach
19-05-2008, 05:26 PM
The headlines from yesterdays match are doing my head in. "Dockers blow it", "Fremantle loss leaves Bulldogs undefeated" (though the 2nd is a tad better). My 11 year old brother could come up with something better then that.

ledge
19-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Dont you just love the headlines, dont think we have won a game this year all the other teams have lost it.
You think we might get a win this year?

Sockeye Salmon
19-05-2008, 06:17 PM
The headlines from yesterdays match are doing my head in. "Dockers blow it", "Fremantle loss leaves Bulldogs undefeated" (though the 2nd is a tad better). My 11 year old brother could come up with something better then that.

That makes it sound as if we've won every game by forfeit.

Twodogs
19-05-2008, 08:59 PM
PS Packs of cards don't actually fold. They can be shuffled, dealt, thrown on the ground 52-pick-up style but it is actually quite difficult to fold an entire pack. You could fold them one at a time but that would be time consuming.

A 'house of cards' collapses easily. Do you think that's what they meant?

Yup.

The media, and the rest of the competition for for that matter, can go on disregarding us right up until 5.45 on Grand Final day. The lack of thunderous applause is music to my ears.

Bumper Bulldogs
19-05-2008, 10:23 PM
I would tend to agree and I hope they keep talking about the Cats & hawks for a few more weeks yet.

it will be more difficult when we beat the Hawks down in Tassie in two weeks. I think after that we will not be able to fly under the Radar any more.

LostDoggy
19-05-2008, 10:28 PM
You just KNOW the boys are itching to get one back over the Hawks for that second half capitulation last year.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-05-2008, 11:51 PM
I was thinking the same when I picked up the paper at work today. It was an odd article; it was as though a sporadic teenager (Albeit I'm one myself;)) was gifted the task of coming up with something, and he decided to add a bit of spice to it. That's what The Addy does with most of their Sports Writers in their first years of University. Pretty inaccurate calls made, you'd hope they could come up with something better, but I suppose it creates controversy which sells more newspapers.