PDA

View Full Version : Depth in 2008

Go_Dogs
22-05-2008, 01:08 PM
This year we seem to have extraordinary depth. By my rough calculations, we have about 34 guys who could come into the side and play a role each week. Obviously, some are better players and more important than others, but it's great to see such a big list of names (some unproven at this stage in O'Keefe, Ward and Stack) who are in pretty good form and should rightfully be looking at a piece of action at some stage this year.

Higgins will be out for an extended period, however it appears as though we will have the depth this year to cope with injuries significantly better than we have in the past. We have already witnessed it this year with West being out, and the side able to still get on top in the middle.

The players that I think make up this 34 are listed below:

Addison
Akermanis
Boyd
Callan
Cooney
Cross
Eagleton
Everitt
Giansiracusa
Gilbee
Griffen
Hahn
Hargrave
Harbrow
Higgins
Hill
Hudson
Johnson
Lake
McDougall
Minson
Morris
Murphy
O'Keefe
Ray
Skipper
Stack
Street
Tiller
Ward
Welsh
West
Wight
Williams

With this group, I'm pretty confident that *touch wood* even if we do pick up a few more injuries as the season wears on, we have a pretty solid list and should do a reasonable job of filling the gaps of injured players. We just need to make sure guys like Johnson, Harris, Cooney and a few others are monitored through the year and perhaps rested if we sow up a top 4 spot towards the end of the year.

Hopefully by finals time we can have this whole group fit, and free from niggling injuries.

I think it was interesting how quite a few (definitely including myself) perhaps overrated West Coast's depth which has this year, with the loss of some key players and some injuries, been exposed.

How do people think our depth compares to that of say, Geelongs?

I think we are up with the best of them.

bornadog
22-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Griffen #16, I agree we are now reaping the rewards for the recruiting over the past few seasons which has allowed us to retire some senior players and replace them with a good bunch of kids. I do have a few concerns if we do have some injuries.

Are there any specific areas that you can see that if we did have an injury, how would we cover it? To me its mainly the backline which has been a problem for many years now, but starting to settle in. Can we cover the loss of a few of the guys in the backline like, Lake, Morris, Shaggy?

Other than the backline, we can bring in Rucks, (street), tall forward (Skipper) and midfielders. (Ray, West to come back, plus some inexperienced guys)

Cyberdoggie
22-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Griffen #16, I agree we are now reaping the rewards for the recruiting over the past few seasons which has allowed us to retire some senior players and replace them with a good bunch of kids. I do have a few concerns if we do have some injuries.

Are there any specific areas that you can see that if we did have an injury, how would we cover it? To me its mainly the backline which has been a problem for many years now, but starting to settle in. Can we cover the loss of a few of the guys in the backline like, Lake, Morris, Shaggy?

Other than the backline, we can bring in Rucks, (street), tall forward (Skipper) and midfielders. (Ray, West to come back, plus some inexperienced guys)

Yeah any team can have depth, but it doesn't mean anything if you loose certain key areas.

With us we need a few key position players, and most importantly our drive and physical pressence.

Murphy and hahn have shown what a difference they make this year.
Hudson and minson are a good combination in teh ruck, i think we can get by with 1 out but both we would struggle
if we lost both cooney and griffen in the middle
or two of boyd, cross and west (our in and under players)
Brian lake is the most important sole player, without him we look weak at the back.
Dale morris plays a close second to brian.
Gilbee gives us run and precision from the back, we don't have many like him now that mcmahon, power, are gone and griffen is in the middle.

dog town
22-05-2008, 09:26 PM
While I do agree our depth looks good this season it always will when we only have 2 players on the injury list. It is good in some areas but we need to keep working on it in other areas. Be interesting to see how we would cope if we had another run of injuries like last season.

Go_Dogs
12-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Ok, so I'm re-upping this thread, but in relation to our depth in 2010.

I've done a brief run through of our list, and by my calculations (which are probably more conservative to those which I initially posted in 2008) we have about 28 guys who should be aiming to play 22 games, but will play between 10-22 as form, and injuries dictate:

Addison
Akermanis
Boyd
Callan
Cooney
Cross
Eagleton
Everitt
Giansiracusa
Gilbee
Griffen
Hahn
Hall
Harbrow
Hargrave
Higgins
Hill
Hudson
Johnson
Lake
Minson
Morris
Murphy
Picken
Reid
Tiller
Ward
Williams

Another solid group of players who would be aiming to play 5-10 games, pending form and injuries:

Grant
Markovic
Stack
Wood

And another group who will be eager to get a taste at some stage including:

Boumann
Howard
Roughead
Thorne

As well as some ready made depth on the Rookie List who could play senior football in 2010 based on the reports circulating about the players (as I have seen little to none at this stage) including:

Moles
Rose

This has to be the best our depth has looked, and it is strong across a range of positions since I have been a supporter of the club.

Obviously, as was allueded to above, we are still under pressure if we lose a few key players, but I think more than ever we have the ability and talent at our disposal to help cover any loss much more significantly than we have previously. By my count there are 38 players I have named who it would be reasonable to expect that they wish to play at least 1 game of senior footy in 2010.

Mofra
12-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Fair update Griff; I don't think Reid is in line to play 22 games and may not get to double figures based purely on competition for spots. Wood is one I rate a touch higher, he'd be close to matching Reid in terms of where he is at.

Roughead & Rose are interesting ones - both are close to senior ready and I would expect both to debut in 2010.

Mantis
12-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Fair update Griff; I don't think Reid is in line to play 22 games and may not get to double figures based purely on competition for spots. Wood is one I rate a touch higher, he'd be close to matching Reid in terms of where he is at.

I thought Reid showed a fair bit last year and if it wasn't for his groin injury he probably would have held his position in the team for the finals. His game against Geelong late in the season was very good and did a few outstanding things in the game which I am sure made the MC sit up and take notice. His injury gave way shortly after, but I think he left the team showing that he has a few strings to his bow.

I understand a position in the midfield rotation will be tough, but assuming he gets over his off-season surgery within the expected timeframe I think he will become a permanent fixture in our side after about the first 1/3 of the season.

Agree that Wood will also push for selection, but I have Reid in front at present.

Sockeye Salmon
12-01-2010, 01:19 PM
You should never bring back 2 year old prediction threads.

McDougall and Wight? Agggh.

Go_Dogs
12-01-2010, 01:26 PM
You should never bring back 2 year old prediction threads.

McDougall and Wight? Agggh.

Both fair enough calls at the time ;)

Wight did play some reasonable football for us in 2008.

To Mantis and Mofra, yes - Reid playing a significant role in the side is still up for debate, but based upon his progression and performances late last season, much like you Mantis, I think he will be rated fairly highly internally. He certainly seemed to reach the required level, and especially in the game against Geelong he showed that he can match it against the best in a high intensity contest. I think that performance alone would have seen him move up the pecking order quite significantly.

Wood is another who is hard to place, because I think he has some very good qualities, and the coaching staff obviously rate him pretty highly for his athletic prowess as well as his footballing ability. He is certainly one who could figure in quite a few games based on what we know, however I think he needs to add a bit more versatility to his game before he really grabs a spot with both hands. Our backline is going to be just about as tough to break into as our midfield!

Mofra
12-01-2010, 02:49 PM
To Mantis and Mofra, yes - Reid playing a significant role in the side is still up for debate, but based upon his progression and performances late last season, much like you Mantis, I think he will be rated fairly highly internally. He certainly seemed to reach the required level, and especially in the game against Geelong he showed that he can match it against the best in a high intensity contest. I think that performance alone would have seen him move up the pecking order quite significantly.
His performance against Geelong was brilliant, but if given a choice of Reid retaining his spot, or Cross coming back into the side, I would think Cross will win out every time. It will probably take Eagleton & Akermanis retirements before Reid can force himself into our best 22.

Go_Dogs
12-01-2010, 03:38 PM
His performance against Geelong was brilliant, but if given a choice of Reid retaining his spot, or Cross coming back into the side, I would think Cross will win out every time. It will probably take Eagleton & Akermanis retirements before Reid can force himself into our best 22.

Fair points, and certainly Cross would be a long way in front of Reid in the pecking order.

If I were Reid though, I'd be fairly hopeful about my chances of displacing one of the older blokes, who may struggle a bit as the season wears on. Rocket has been fairly confident in giving the kids ago, and for mine, a guy like Reid who will be able to handle the finals pressure and pace, the contested style, will be looked upon favourably and given the opportunities, because come September, he could be a pretty important player.

Eagle has obviously been a favourite of Rocket's, so he's got credits in the bank, but he's one who I think will come under pressure towards the pointy end of the season. If his kicking loses a yard, or his pace does, his uncontested style might be exposed more often.

w3design
12-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Having watched quite a bit of Reid at Willy, I think he is certainly up there at the top of the 'ready for promotion youngsters' list. That said he may still have a job finding a place in the top 22 if only for structural reasons. He is very much a midfielder in the Cross/Boyd mould, and you seem to need variety in your mid field group... skillful types [ Coony/ Aka etc] and outside receivers/runners [ Eagles] as well as the in and under lads. Ward seems to be next cab off the rank as an extra in and under type. So where does Reidy slot in given no injuries [ fingers crossed]?
I know it is a great problem to have from a team/club perspective, but the kid has earned a chance. Any suggestions as to where to slot him, or who should make way for him from our best 22?

Swoop
12-01-2010, 08:04 PM
It's certainly a problem for Reidy to have so many similar types in the same side as himself and this no doubt would have been a consideration for him before re-signing with us. It's good to know he weighed everything up and decided to stick with the dogs and back himself, I think the the surgery puts him behind the 8 ball but I'm confident by the end of the season he will be knocking the door down and demanding a spot in the 22.

He is a great contested ball winner and as stated previously he is in the same mould as Cross, Boyd & Ward, the one thing I will say that I believe he does offer is a bit more explosiveness and this can be seen from his under 18 highlights footage.

LostDoggy
12-01-2010, 08:44 PM
And he places terrific bumps to the likes of Roughead, was that not the incident that buggered Rougheads shoulder?

FrediKanoute
12-01-2010, 11:32 PM
Fair points, and certainly Cross would be a long way in front of Reid in the pecking order.

If I were Reid though, I'd be fairly hopeful about my chances of displacing one of the older blokes, who may struggle a bit as the season wears on. Rocket has been fairly confident in giving the kids ago, and for mine, a guy like Reid who will be able to handle the finals pressure and pace, the contested style, will be looked upon favourably and given the opportunities, because come September, he could be a pretty important player.

Eagle has obviously been a favourite of Rocket's, so he's got credits in the bank, but he's one who I think will come under pressure towards the pointy end of the season. If his kicking loses a yard, or his pace does, his uncontested style might be exposed more often.

The amount of times I've read this in a thread is getting towards unbelievable figures! Eagle has been on a downwards trend for the last 5 years. Every year the boards run hot with hope that some kid with zip experience, some potential and bucketloads of hype will displace him.

Its a statement that is true of every player on our list......lose form/fitness ect and you will be passed and replaced.

Go_Dogs
13-01-2010, 09:50 AM
The amount of times I've read this in a thread is getting towards unbelievable figures! Eagle has been on a downwards trend for the last 5 years. Every year the boards run hot with hope that some kid with zip experience, some potential and bucketloads of hype will displace him.

Its a statement that is true of every player on our list......lose form/fitness ect and you will be passed and replaced.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to bash Eagleton, I've been a big supporter of his over the years. Just given his attributes that make him dangerous, his kicking and leg speed/gut running are what set him apart. The older he gets, the more likely he might lose his edge in one of those areas which could affect his spot in the team.

Reid is certainly a different sort of player, and certainly not be able to play the role Eagleton does. He does however play very good, tight, contested footy and has shown he can adapt to the pace of high intensity contests. Geelong for example have quite a large number of players who are able to play the Boyd/Cross type role. So I don't see it as an issue. If every bloke we have can beat his man, we'll win a lot of games.

LostDoggy
13-01-2010, 10:41 AM
i can see reid developing into a good link man role through the centre. One thing i noticed at a game last year is how well he prepares himself before he contests a mark. He seems quite solid in the air. On the downside his skills appear to be serviceable but not yet elite

Mantis
13-01-2010, 11:08 AM
i can see reid developing into a good link man role through the centre. One thing i noticed at a game last year is how well he prepares himself before he contests a mark. He seems quite solid in the air. On the downside his skills appear to be serviceable but not yet elite

Kicking or handballing?

I would say from what I have seen he would be in the best 5 handballers at the club. He also has great vision which allows him to spot a free man from a congested area as evidenced by a few of his handballs in the game against Geelong which has already been mentioned in this thread.

His kicking is ok in that it is atleast on par with like players. (Cross & Boyd)

The Pie Man
13-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Kicking or handballing?

I would say from what I have seen he would be in the best 5 handballers at the club. He also has great vision which allows him to spot a free man from a congested area as evidenced by a few of his handballs in the game against Geelong which has already been mentioned in this thread.

His kicking is ok in that it is atleast on par with like players. (Cross & Boyd)

I'd say he has more penetration with his kicks than Cross

I'm looking forward to a fit Sam Reid pushing for a more regular senior spot - from the pics of training, he and Ward look in great nic

Twodogs
13-01-2010, 01:28 PM
I really, really like Reid's attitude. He's got that thing in him that just wont let him give up and that's a priceless ability to bring into our team. One game last year he dragged Willy over the line when pretty much everyone else had given up.

I think a never say die attitude like that can be in short supply in our team some days.

Mofra
13-01-2010, 02:36 PM
I really, really like Reid's attitude. He's got that thing in him that just wont let him give up and that's a priceless ability to bring into our team. One game last year he dragged Willy over the line when pretty much everyone else had given up.
Cracker of a final kick - not sure his kicking is as bad as some suggest

LostDoggy
13-01-2010, 03:22 PM
I really liked what i saw of Reid and Everitt in the last couple of games and they were stiff to get drop for finals. I think they only lost their spots was due to senior players coming back into the side.

Unfortunately i think it could be a similar story for the two of them in 2010. Which is a good problem to have as a side but individually, it would be bloody hard.

w3design
13-01-2010, 04:57 PM
I hope no one got me wrong earlier. I would love to see Reidy in the team on a regular basis. I really like those GRUNT type players, and he offers the team heaps. His hands are clearly better than his kicking at this stage, and he is a footballer rather than just a good athlete playing football. Most of us here seem to want to see him in the team. But at who's expence? Who makes way for him if our senior group is in tact, ie. no one out with injury? Any suggestions guys?

Go_Dogs
13-01-2010, 05:04 PM
But at who's expence? Who makes way for him if our senior group is in tact, ie. no one out with injury? Any suggestions guys?

The fact is, that on paper it's going to be hard for him to get a game.

What I hope happens is that form is more consistently rewarded and punished, now that we have more depth. If a player has a couple of bad weeks, drop him and reward someone else. No more unlimited credits in the bank.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Rocket was cooking up a bit of a horses for courses policy. Certain players will provide better match ups against certain teams, so potentially depending on who we are up against we may have certain match-ups we want, which will help spread the opportunities. Ie. Callan when we need a quick, small lock down defender, Tiller if we need a third tall down back and want Morris on a small, Reid in against a side like St Kilda or Geelong where his contested style will help etc.

Hopefully the off-season ends soon, because I will eventually drive myself insane continuously pondering such things...

Before I Die
13-01-2010, 06:38 PM
What I hope happens is that form is more consistently rewarded and punished, now that we have more depth. If a player has a couple of bad weeks, drop him and reward someone else. No more unlimited credits in the bank.

I don't agree with this. Based on this approach, Skipper and O'Keefe would have been at the very least getting a senior game every third week. Yet both of them are now delisted. If VFL form was the best indicator of AFL success then we should delist a number of players and recruit Brett Johnson, Ben Jolley and Ben Davies, as they, with the two mentioned above, filled the top five places in the Williamstown B & F. Remember, some-one has to get the votes each week, regardless of how the team went overall. VFL and AFL form are both only part of the equation and stats gained are not necessarily a true indicator of contribution to team game plan.

Except for a blip at the end of 2007 I think the outcomes under Eade have been very good. We could very easily be now celebrating a premiership and the fact that we are not comes down purely to luck, not any fault of Eade or the match selection panel. I want to see more of the same next year with regard to team selection.

Injuries aside, if Everitt, Reid, Wood, Grant and Roughead want to get a game ahead of Hahn, Hill, Eagleton, Hudson, Picken or Harbrow, they are going to need to dominate at VFL level, not just be amongst the best each week, and also do everything right on the track etc.

Having said that, I think injuries (and the pre-season competition) will give these players opportunities, and then it is up to them to stake their claim at the higher level.

LostDoggy
13-01-2010, 07:14 PM
I don't agree with this. Based on this approach, Skipper and O'Keefe would have been at the very least getting a senior game every third week. Yet both of them are now delisted.

I don't think he was saying that players who are performing at VFL level means automatic selection for players who aren't peforming in the seniors. If their not up to AFL standard (which i'm sure was more the case for Skipper and O'Keefe, hence why they have both since been delisted) then they don't get promoted.

But if the 2nd tier players like Reid, Everitt, Roughead etc are performing in the VFL and up to AFL standard. Then if any player in the same position isn't performing then i for one hope they get promoted.

Before I Die
13-01-2010, 11:16 PM
I don't think he was saying that players who are performing at VFL level means automatic selection for players who aren't peforming in the seniors. If their not up to AFL standard (which i'm sure was more the case for Skipper and O'Keefe, hence why they have both since been delisted) then they don't get promoted.

But if the 2nd tier players like Reid, Everitt, Roughead etc are performing in the VFL and up to AFL standard. Then if any player in the same position isn't performing then i for one hope they get promoted.

That's the quandary. Does good VFL form indicate a player is up to AFL standard? It is the only indicator we the fans get to see, but the examples of Skipper and O'Keefe demonstrate that is is not necessarily enough. All season Eade was being lambasted on this board for not playing O'Keefe. It would now seem that 15 other AFL coaches agree with him. I am not saying that players cannot win a place through good VFL form, only that it has to be tandem with other indicators which unfortunately, we are not privy to.

Regarding our depth, I think it still has an aspect of "potential depth" as opposed to "real depth". To have real depth you need to have a few mature bodied, battle hardened players who have demonstrated they can compete at AFL level but are being kept out by even better performed players. Tim Callan falls into this category. Dylan Addison and Steven Tiller almost. Brodie Moles and Lukas Markovic haven't played an AFL game yet, but they are mature bodies and if they really are up to AFL standard and if one or two of our kids can force players like Hahn and Eagleton back to Willie, then we will have exceptional depth.

Mantis
14-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Regarding our depth, I think it still has an aspect of "potential depth" as opposed to "real depth". To have real depth you need to have a few mature bodied, battle hardened players who have demonstrated they can compete at AFL level but are being kept out by even better performed players. Tim Callan falls into this category. Dylan Addison and Steven Tiller almost. Brodie Moles and Lukas Markovic haven't played an AFL game yet, but they are mature bodies and if they really are up to AFL standard and if one or two of our kids can force players like Hahn and Eagleton back to Willie, then we will have exceptional depth.

With restrictions on list numbers, salary caps and also the desire of players to compete at the highest level I doubt you will ever see a team with 'real depth' again or atleast at a substantial level. With the amount of $$'s on offer at the highest level I doubt you will find many players happy to bide their time in the reserve grade at a strong club when they could be playing regular senior grade footy elsewehre, especially when they are in the 22-26 (mature bodied) age group.

LostDoggy
14-01-2010, 11:25 AM
With restrictions on list numbers, salary caps and also the desire of players to compete at the highest level I doubt you will ever see a team with 'real depth' again or atleast at a substantial level. With the amount of $$'s on offer at the highest level I doubt you will find many players happy to bide their time in the reserve grade at a strong club when they could be playing regular senior grade footy elsewehre, especially when they are in the 22-26 (mature bodied) age group.

Agreed. You look at the 3 players mentioned in the "real depth" category. Callan, Addison and Tiller all have to show something this year or they could be shown the door.

But then again with GC17 & GWS coming in, teams are going to lose players. So maybe these players could gain a position in a starting 22, if not at our club, elsewhere.

Go_Dogs
14-01-2010, 01:23 PM

When he debuted in Adelaide in 2008, I stated at the time that I thought his kicking during that match was fairly sound. I don't think he'll ever become a truly elite kick, but he's not a slouch by any means.

Twodogs
14-01-2010, 01:44 PM

It wasnt just the fact that he had the goolies to go back and slot it that impressed me, as good as it was. That day for the last half of the last quarter he had "I am NOT going to play in the losing team" written across his forehead and proceeded to pick his teammates up and deposit them over the line.

Lot's of players get that look in their eyes but not many have the determination to back it up. Reid has and that's why I love him-there I said it. I love you Sam Reid!!!

Bulldog Revolution
14-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Kicking or handballing?

I'm a fan of reid but I don't think his kicking is anywhere near the standard of Boyd who is really a pretty good kick these days.

Crossy gets a fair bit of stick for his kicking, and its clearly not the strongest part of his game. However, whilst it doesn't seem unlikely that he will ever have greater depth in his kicking, he has also improved it considerably - his left foot in particular, and provided he is not in the indecisive moods that do strike him, he actually makes reasonable decisions and kicks it well to position up to that 40m mark.

Reid seems both unsure when making decisions to kick at AFL level - which I guess we'd perhaps hope he'd learn with more experiece at the level, but I'm also not convinced he has left foot either?

He's clearly got good hands, physicality, great size, athleticism, and he's v.good overhead. I'd like to see him knuckle down on the kicking - I'm not convinced he has the Boyd/Cross character to really work at it dilligently, and I've got a feeling that whilst we all see the potential, he could well become a supporter target in a few years if he doesn't address it. I'd like to see him become a regular goal kicking midfielder.

w3design
14-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Have to agree with BI Die, our 'AFL ready now depth' pretty much consists of Reid, Callan, Addison and Tiller on 09 form [ hopefully that list will grow after this pre season]. Very close are perhaps Woodsy and Roughy, and potentially perhaps Stacky. Sorry all you Everitt fans out there, I am afraid I am yet to be convinced as to his much hyped potential. He is athletic [ when he wants to make an effort], his kicking skills are good if he is not under any pressure at all, and is concentrating, but very much not otherwise.
As I said earlier, I think Reid is far better with his hands than by foot, but am hopeful he will continue to work on his kicking. Still that should not limit his senior opportunities. For heavens sake Westy [ one of my all time heros] could not kick over an empty jam tin, but he was still an absolute champion. Each player has certain limitations, its just that the good players either overcome them or find strengths that can compensate for them. I am not sufficiently privy to how Reid is with his training attitude, the "dilligence" that B Rev. refered to above, but given the courage and determination he shows on the feild it is difficult to imagine he would be much different on the training track re attitude. Few players show the level of detirmination and character that Cross and Boyd display, but could the kids coming through have two better role models to emulate?

LostDoggy
14-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Is anybody of the view that Reid's pace may be limiting his promotion possibilities?

comrade
14-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Is anybody of the view that Reid's pace may be limiting his promotion possibilities?

His pace off the mark is actually quite good. Watching the pre-season and early home and away games at Willy last year, I was impressed with his ability to explode away from packs (I think I may have even likened it as Judd-like in one report – I’m not one for hyperbole am I?). It was only later in the year as his groin issues became apparent that he lost some pace.

Once those are resolved I think we’ll find his pace will be more than adequate at AFL level.

Mofra
14-01-2010, 09:42 PM
It wasnt just the fact that he had the goolies to go back and slot it that impressed me, as good as it was. That day for the last half of the last quarter he had "I am NOT going to play in the losing team" written across his forehead and proceeded to pick his teammates up and deposit them over the line.
He actually had "Tenacity" written in big black texta on his arm for one game.

The guy looks like an upside triangle so has a bit of intimidation factor about him already - you wouldn't want to front him when he's breathing fire with "Tenacity" written on his arm.

Dazza
18-01-2010, 09:46 AM
I think Roughead might get a bit of a run with Minsons injury still troubling him.

LostDoggy
18-01-2010, 10:55 AM
I think Roughead might get a bit of a run with Minsons injury still troubling him.

Could be a long shot at this stage as he is coming of a shoulder reco. In the the future I have know doubt he will leave Minson behind;)

Swoop
18-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Could be a long shot at this stage as he is coming of a shoulder reco. In the the future I have know doubt he will leave Minson behind;)
The timing/transition should work well with regards to Hudson stepping out and Roughead stepping in as a major contributor. Minson won't really need to worry or compete until Cordy comes on which could really be from anytime next year onwards. At this stage both Roughead & Cordy have going forward as strings to their bow moreso than Minson but we'll have to wait and see whether Roughead imparticular can have the same impact at AFL level or whether he'll turn into a pure ruckman, both however should compliment each other nicely in years to come.

hujsh
18-01-2010, 10:27 PM

Minson's been playing good football for the past 2 years and Roughead's not got a regular VFL gig yet so let's not jump the gun here.

w3design
19-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Have to agree with Swoop. I would see Roughy as Hudson's logical sucessor, and injury aside the timing could be about right. He is likely to be a year away yet from being a regular top 22 player, still some development to do yet. But I would still love to see him get a few games this season to aid that development.
And hujsh is also correct, big Will has been a solid contributor over the last couple of seasons. I think a lot of fans have a preconception about his worth that the coaches and his team mates don't seem to share. I just love his GRUNT. Yeah he makes the odd mistake, and pushes the boundry a bit some times, but sh.t, so did EJ! When Will is on song he makes a lot of our guys run taller, and I think his contribution is increasing and improving each season. And isn't that what you would hope for and expect of a big guy?

Dazza
20-01-2010, 03:28 PM
I didn't mean Roughead will replace Minson this year. Just was saying Minson has seemingly not gotten over his toe injury yet and theres a chance Roughead might get a few games into him this year.

I actually rate Minson as a player. (happens to be my favourite)

alwaysadog
20-01-2010, 04:59 PM
With up to 8 regulars reported to miss at least the early rounds, the preseason fiasco with its extended interchange bench, should provide plenty of opportunities for the "pretenders" to advance their claims.

I'd be surprised if a dark curly haired rookie didn't get a run at some stage.

Greystache
20-01-2010, 05:25 PM
With up to 8 regulars reported to miss at least the early rounds, the preseason fiasco with its extended interchange bench, should provide plenty of opportunities for the "pretenders" to advance their claims.

I'd be surprised if a dark curly haired rookie didn't get a run at some stage.

Agreed, only seen him play a couple of times but have really liked the look of what I saw. He's another who's quick yet still hard at it. I'd need to see more before I could make my mind up about his skills.

Go_Dogs
20-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Agreed, only seen him play a couple of times but have really liked the look of what I saw. He's another who's quick yet still hard at it. I'd need to see more before I could make my mind up about his skills.

I've only seen him in action live during the pre-season last year, he had a bit of a strange running style, but is a fairly powerful looking build and a likely type. Will be interesting to see how he fairs this pre-season.

Competition amongst the rookie listed players will certainly be interesting over the Nab Cup.