PDA

View Full Version : The Footy Show

GVGjr
29-05-2008, 07:47 AM
I see Sam Newman has been asked to take a break from the show and it has been attributed to his health.

Obviously I hope it is not too serious for him but it never ceases to amaze me how that show can consistently leak a big news story late on a Wednesday with the story to be told on their show on the Thursday night.

They have for years been the master of manipulation of the football agenda which is probably why they rate so highly. I rarely watch it because I don't rate the quality of the show at all but they do know how to generate interest.

The Coon Dog
29-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Newman dragged off air by Nine (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/newman-dragged-off-air-by-nine/2008/05/29/1211654133227.html)

CHANNEL Nine has forced Sam Newman to take a break from television after the furore over his treatment of women on The Footy Show.Newman has also been told to attend counselling for his recent behaviour, which included manhandling a lingerie-clad mannequin he dressed as The Age's chief football writer, Caroline Wilson.

His behaviour prompted a group of the AFL's most influential women to complain to Nine boss David Gyngell and call for the cast of The Footy Show to receive counselling.

Newman responded by calling the women "liars and hypocrites" and saying that women "served very little purpose" in football.

One of the signatories of the letter to Gyngell, Western Bulldogs board member Susan Alberti, is suing Nine, Newman and the show's co-host Garry Lyon for defamation over the remarks.

The Age last week revealed that ANZ had redirected its advertising on Nine away from the show. It also reported that ratings had plummeted since the mannequin stunt.

Last week's show was watched by 380,000 people, a drop of 15% since March 27, the week before the stunt, when an average of 457,000 people tuned in.

In addition to the ANZ, one of the show's sponsors, Crazy John's mobile phone company, expressed disquiet about the show's treatment of women. "They are under no illusions as to how we feel," said Crazy John's managing director Brendan Fleiter.

Nine executive director Jeff Browne told the Herald Sun that Nine should not have allowed Newman to return to television so soon after prostate surgery. He also broke an ankle while lifting weights earlier this month.

"In order to allow Sam to return to full health without the stress of having to perform on live television each week, I have directed him to take a break from The Footy Show," he said.

"As a component of this rehabilitation, I have arranged for Sam to undergo counselling to address, with professional assistance, the behaviour and issues that have attended what I now believe to be his premature return to the program."

Lyon apologised to Wilson for the stunt, but paid tribute to Newman at the Logies award ceremony for his capacity to create controversy and draw ratings. Lyon hung up when contacted by The Age last night.

Sockeye Salmon
29-05-2008, 12:07 PM
I'll probably watch it tonight now (despite Garry Lyon still hosting, can't stand him).

A few years ago they were getting ratings of 850,000. It just goes to show how far it's slumped.

craigsahibee
29-05-2008, 12:44 PM
There is no concern for Newman's health. This is purely a commercial decision. After the ANZ withdrew it's financial support because of Newman's so called "offensive" behaviour, the executives at Bendigo St have started to get a bit nervous and have kow towed to commercial pressures.

Go_Dogs
29-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Yeah, TFS is trash now. They offer very little of substance. TSFS is much better imo, still a few gags and whatever but they actually offer some kind of analysis of the game which is always what I'm more interested in, rather than self serving drivel.

hujsh
29-05-2008, 02:27 PM
There is no concern for Newman's health. This is purely a commercial decision. After the ANZ withdrew it's financial support because of Newman's so called "offensive" behaviour, the executives at Bendigo St have started to get a bit nervous and have kow towed to commercial pressures.

ANZ didn't worry them, but potentially loosing the big sponsors did. (ANZ was only for QLD)

I watch it. Some weeks are better than others. It's just a bit of fun with the odd issue being raised. Footy analysis comes from other places.

Will be annoyed if they sack Sammy just for groping a mannequin.

W W Biscuit
29-05-2008, 07:46 PM
The Footy Show is a self-important soap opera. Yawn.

LostDoggy
29-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Ill watch but it will be less entertaining..

Sam dressing up as Nicky Winmar was such much worse than a couple sexist comments..

Caro is a shallow b*tch anyway who cant give it but cant take it.

The Coon Dog
29-05-2008, 08:19 PM

Caroline Wilson is a very good journalist in my view, despite her obvious Richmond leanings.

I was appalled on her hatchet job on Ben Holland, but more often than not, she is right on the mark, particularly with what's happening off field.

LostDoggy
29-05-2008, 08:30 PM
It is great to hear that he wont be on te footy show for a while, hopefully it might become a show that is wachable for atleast a few weeks.

Sockeye Salmon
29-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Caroline Wilson is a very good journalist in my view, despite her obvious Richmond leanings.

I was appalled on her hatchet job on Ben Holland, but more often than not, she is right on the mark, particularly with what's happening off field.

If Ben Holland was sueing any other club her article would have been completely different.

Ill watch but it will be less entertaining..

Sam dressing up as Nicky Winmar was such much worse than a couple sexist comments..

Sam's dressup of Nicky Winmar was no worse than him putting on a curly wig pretending to be Tony Liberatore and was harmless fun. Winmar got the piss taken out of him exactly like Sam has done to 100 other players over the years - and the fact that Sam treated him no differently because of his skin colour is to Sam's credit.

The Caroline Wilson bit was crass and insulting - not to all women but it was to Caro. I cringed and turned it off.

GVGjr
29-05-2008, 10:15 PM

Yes it was the sponsors that changed the minds of the guys in charge. As much as people pay out on Caro and the girls for getting Sam axed the problem was really the sponsors.

hujsh
29-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Yes it was the sponsors that changed the minds of the guys in charge. As much as people pay out on Caro and the girls for getting Sam axed the problem was really the sponsors.

But if that women of football alliance thing hadn't been started then the sponsors would have no problem.

Mofra
29-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Definately a commecial decision - reported in the paper last week that ratings were down 15% since Newman's first stunt.

I prefer Billy Brownless anyway.

The Coon Dog
29-05-2008, 11:33 PM
But if that women of football alliance thing hadn't been started then the sponsors would have no problem.

And if Sam hadn't behaved in the manner he did....well you know what I mean.

LostDoggy
30-05-2008, 06:03 PM
It was much better last night without Sam. The boys on the panel actually got to speak, and Billy Brownless is much funnier, and can keep the show flowing. Much more relaxing atmosphere, you can feel Garry and James holding their breath when Sam speaks!

LostDoggy
30-05-2008, 06:15 PM
I watched about 45min. Still rubbish. Gary put Billy in line a couple of times but doesn't do it with Sam. Why?

LostDoggy
30-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Last night episode was by far the best there has been all year. I think that the show is better off without Sam Newman and the longer he is not on the show the better.

hujsh
30-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Sorry but i you think it's better without Sam you're not correct IMO.

Billy is funny and the only person who could replace Sam.

Just because Sam isn't nice doesn't mean he's not funny

mjp
30-05-2008, 11:27 PM

Um. Fine. Any chance you could fix the spelling of Aker's name in your sig file. It is driving me mental and I have only seen it once.

hujsh
30-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Um. Fine. Any chance you could fix the spelling of Aker's name in your sig file. It is driving me mental and I have only seen it once.

done

LostDoggy
31-05-2008, 07:39 AM

But he isn't funny.

Mofra
31-05-2008, 01:06 PM

The only thing worse than an arrogant unfunny panelist is one who is also quite daft.

I struggle to deal with stupid people, and that would be the first reason I found Sam annoying. Using one or two big words & attacking others does not make you funny or intelligent, and the scripting & prompting from other panellists gave the show a stunted feel (previously necessary as Sam isn't the brightest crayon in the box).

Last night the players (rightly) appeared to be the stars and the show was at least entertaining.

LostDoggy
31-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Billy is great. I can't wait until he relaxes a bit and just chills out and just be himself -- I thought he was slightly uptight, but was still much better than Sam.

Sam plays up to his public persona a little too much -- he's not actually like that at all, from the rare odd interview with the real Sam Newman that I've seen -- but the whole trying to say something controversial every sentence just got old and, as Ernie has already said, quite unfunny.

I thought it was fun hearing Billy talk about his spot on TFS on SEN on both Thursday before the show and Friday after the show. It was kind of surreal, actually.

How funny was that Freo kid though! Is he for real, or is it some stunted growth type thingy -- if he really is a little kid he's bloody fantastic. I just couldn't stop laughing when he drew the run rate graph, complete with wickets!

--

ps. it was the first time this year I've seen TFS, purely by accident, but glad I did for Billy. The bloke is a lot smarter than he lets on too, which I also find quite disarming.

hujsh
31-05-2008, 06:08 PM
But he isn't funny.

some of his comments are quite funny.

Out of interest do you watch it?

LostDoggy
31-05-2008, 08:41 PM
some of his comments are quite funny.

Out of interest do you watch it?

Not often.

Sockeye Salmon
31-05-2008, 10:41 PM
How funny was that Freo kid though! Is he for real, or is it some stunted growth type thingy -- if he really is a little kid he's bloody fantastic. I just couldn't stop laughing when he drew the run rate graph, complete with wickets!

Jesse is his name. That was about the 3rd time he's been on.

He was on Street Talk last year and was so good they flew him and his parents over for the grand final.

The kid really knows his footy.

LostDoggy
01-06-2008, 11:06 PM
I watched Before/After the Game last night and thats 10x funnier than The Footy Show.

bornadog
01-06-2008, 11:43 PM
I watched Before/After the Game last night and thats 10x funnier than The Footy Show.

Its a great show, miles ahead of the footy show for entertainment, and yes funny.

hujsh
02-06-2008, 12:27 AM

I can't argue with that. Although i wish Pete Helliar hadn't quit (still does Straunchie though)

LostDoggy
02-06-2008, 09:11 AM
I can't argue with that. Although i wish Pete Helliar hadn't quit (still does Straunchie though)

Straunchie is the weakest point of the show. The same joke for the last 3 years.

hujsh
02-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Straunchie is the weakest point of the show. The same joke for the last 3 years.

Well he's probably the most popular part of the show.

Sockeye Salmon
02-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Well he's probably the most popular part of the show.

And the least funny. Go figure.

LostDoggy
02-06-2008, 05:21 PM
They did bring up the Riewoldt crying video to prove the saints are soft. Which I chuckled at.

Twodogs
02-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Eddie knew his time was up and went. Sam failed to see that his time had passed and it was time to move on.

Sam was very funny for a few years but in recent times has turned into a selfparody. Him and his co-presenters are the only ones who cant see it. Not a criticism of Sam just a plain fact.

BulldogBelle
02-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Eddie knew his time was up and went.

I thought Ed would have still stayed on if he didn't get the Channel 9 boss position in Sydney. He was also asked by Packer to consider giving up his presidency at Collingwood so as to concentrate on his job, Packer then relented and gave Eddie the go ahead to continue being the Collingwood president.

KT31
20-07-2017, 11:34 PM
I watched The Front Bar tonight ( which I rate at as very entertaining)and then after I flicked over to The Footy Show, whilst I haven't rated or watched the Footy Show for years ( living interstate has helped) I can't believe they still serve up this tripe on TV.
Not one person tonight was semi entertaining and it is at the end to have a segment dedicated to Lou is an embarrassment to all things AFL.
The sooner this tripe is off the better we will all be.

Happy Days
20-07-2017, 11:39 PM
Eddie knew his time was up and went. Sam failed to see that his time had passed and it was time to move on.

Sam was very funny for a few years but in recent times has turned into a selfparody. Him and his co-presenters are the only ones who cant see it. Not a criticism of Sam just a plain fact.

This post was NINE YEARS AGO and the idiot is still on TV.

Twodogs
20-07-2017, 11:44 PM
I'm a perceptive guy. And it stood out like dog's balls even then that Sam had jumped the shark. It's amazing that he's still on the air.

KT31
20-07-2017, 11:48 PM
I'm a perceptive guy. And it stood out like dog's balls even then that Sam had jumped the shark. It's amazing that he's still on the air.

Amazing any one of them is still on air.

always right
20-07-2017, 11:59 PM
Sad thing is Sam is still the best thing on the show....and he's shithouse.

KT31
21-07-2017, 12:02 AM
Sad thing is Sam is still the best thing on the show....and he's shithouse.

Seriously the adverts are the best thing on the show.

jeemak
21-07-2017, 12:20 AM
That this thread has been resurrected after a nine year hiatus, with the show running every week of the football season probably says a bit about its impact on reasonable people over that time.

KT31
21-07-2017, 12:53 AM
That this thread has been resurrected after a nine year hiatus, with the show running every week of the football season probably says a bit about its impact on reasonable people over that time.

To be fair I've been interstate for nine years and thought it had ran its day when I left.

jeemak
21-07-2017, 01:06 AM
To be fair I've been interstate for nine years and thought it had ran its day when I left.

My post wasn't an attack on you.

I remember in 2010 I went through a phase of watching it again without wanting to vomit.

Remi Moses
21-07-2017, 10:22 AM
What happened to chops ? The footy shows been stale for over 20 years

Twodogs
21-07-2017, 11:30 AM
What happened to chops ? The footy shows been stale for over 20 years

Couldn't help himself but troll but he's OK. I speak and text him fairly often-he lives around the corner from my mum. I think he's going to Cairns.

bornadog
21-07-2017, 11:50 AM
Couldn't help himself but troll but he's OK. I speak and text him fairly often-he lives around the corner from my mum. I think he's going to Cairns.

Time he came back.

Daughter of the West
21-07-2017, 11:55 AM
Funnily enough,

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/complete-sad-sack-sam-newmans-bizarre-footy-show-appearance-20170720-gxfn7x.html

'Complete sad sack': Sam Newman's bizarre Footy Show appearance

Broede Carmody

Sam Newman was uncharacteristically tight-lipped on The Footy Show on Thursday night, leading to speculation the controversial presenter was teaching Nine bosses a lesson on what the show would be like without him.

Instead of his usual outspoken self, Thursday night's Newman at times refused to answer questions - much to the frustration of his fellow panelists - and kept his feelings to himself on a range of hot-button topics.

When co-host Rebecca Maddern asked for his views on whether Collingwood president Eddie McGuire should resign, Newman remained stone-faced.

"Well, now, [it's a] bit controversial if you make comments on this," he said. "Get taken aside and spoken to, step over some imaginary line in the sand. So I don't think I would like to make a comment on any of that."

But the grouchy behaviour didn't stop there. When asked who he thought would prevail when the Bulldogs and Gold Coast go head-to-head on Saturday, Newman said "I really don't give a stuff who wins".

Speaking on 3AW on Friday morning, veteran gossip reporter Peter Ford said Newman acted like a "complete sad sack" and said he was kicking up a stink because he believes he'll soon be booted from the popular AFL talk show.

"There were a lot of people hearing this thinking, what another contrived, drummed up drama to try get attention for the footy show," he said. "But ... it was sending out a message. Sam is of the belief that there are rumblings that he will be axed from the footy show at the end of the year."

Ford said Newman believes Nine has tried to reign him in over the past few months and make him more "politically correct".

"He just doesn't wanna play that game," Ford said. "He wants to march to the beat of his own drum. It was [about[ very much demonstrating what the show would be like [without him]."

Channel Nine is expected to make a statement shortly.

Couldn't care less, truth be told. I've watched a grand total of 7.5 minutes of that show since I was a teenager (I'm 32). I flicked over one night and the panel were trying to eat onions raw or some tripe. Sam is an absolute dinosaur.

Twodogs
21-07-2017, 12:10 PM
Time he came back.

Are you going to moderate him? He's one of my favourite people but he's too high maintenance on a website.

Believe me, if there were a way to maintain him I would have thought of it and implemented it. But there wasn't. It wasn't a decision I made lightly

1eyedog
21-07-2017, 12:46 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/news/sam-newman-set-to-be-axed-from-the-footy-show---report-afl/cri80m1hnbmt1c7lkwvdycq7y

Twodogs
21-07-2017, 01:34 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/news/sam-newman-set-to-be-axed-from-the-footy-show---report-afl/cri80m1hnbmt1c7lkwvdycq7y

Having a lot of trouble even caring what happens to Sam these days. He ceased being news years ago, it's only C9 that haven't noticed yet.

bornadog
21-07-2017, 03:37 PM
Having a lot of trouble even caring what happens to Sam these days. He ceased being news years ago, it's only C9 that haven't noticed yet.

Just reported - Eddie back, Hutchy out, Sam stays at this stage

cinder
21-07-2017, 03:37 PM
https://s2.postimg.org/mh0tnhx4p/image.jpg

!!!!

Great news. I loved TFS back when Eddie hosted. For what it's worth I am a Sam Newman fan. Most of what he does is purely to provide controversy and publicity for the show, it normally works.

He's the only one worth watching, but things might change now.

Unfortunately I can't read the article as I am not a HS subscriber.

cinder
21-07-2017, 03:39 PM

You beat me, lol

bornadog
21-07-2017, 03:42 PM
You beat me, lol

I don't think it will improve much with Eddie back. It is the format, old and staid.

cinder
21-07-2017, 03:45 PM
I don't think it will improve much with Eddie back. It is the format, old and staid.

Yeah but I am a loyalist ... (is that a word!). It's been my ritual since 1995 ...

Twodogs
21-07-2017, 04:14 PM

Good news. For Sam.

Yeah but I am a loyalist ... (is that a word!). It's been my ritual since 1995 ...

It is in my house!

Ozza
21-07-2017, 04:15 PM
Pretty desperate move to bring Eddie back.

Do they really think people tuned on, or off, based on Hutchy's role?

Really, the host is just about keeping things moving and on track - to me, the show is antiquated because of;

1. Sam Newman and his painful segments and nonsense input.
2. Obviously ordinary producers who allow the same rubbish to go on and on and on - and have done nothing to liven up the format.

Nowadays, with the teams coming out at 6:25pm, on everyones phone - to spend a chunk of the night putting up the teams/changes 2-4 hours later just bores everyone to snores. As does things like 'Sam's mailbag' going for half an hour.
Apart from that - half of the night is spent with "Coming up next/later".
To me, the producers (and Sam) have buried this show. Its 2017. Refresh the format and the offering to the audience - or the slow death is inevitable.

Twodogs
21-07-2017, 04:19 PM
I'll start by saying I quite like Hutchy-he does what he does because he has a passion the game and talking about it and he's never lost sight of that fact. But he was the wrong choice for the host of TFS for so many reasons.

But I'm trying to think of a better choice and I'm having trouble.

Ozza
21-07-2017, 04:29 PM
I will admit - I have some Hutchy-bias - because I've listened to his show (with Liam Pickering and Dr.Turf) on Saturday mornings on SEN for years - and I think that is where you get to see (hear) the real Hutchy - and he is bl00dy funny and smart.

But really - this stunt of having Eddie back, might have people turn back on for 1-2 weeks - but in the long term, the show is dying a slow death unless they change the format significantly. The biggest change would be to wind it up with Sam. He's nearly 72 years old, he despises the modern game and takes no genuine interest in it, he despises modern society and can't disguise that, and he just makes the show so slowly moving and frustrating.

Doc26
21-07-2017, 04:56 PM
I will admit - I have some Hutchy-bias - because I've listened to his show (with Liam Pickering and Dr.Turf) on Saturday mornings on SEN for years - and I think that is where you get to see (hear) the real Hutchy - and he is bl00dy funny and smart.

But really - this stunt of having Eddie back, might have people turn back on for 1-2 weeks - but in the long term, the show is dying a slow death unless they change the format significantly. The biggest change would be to wind it up with Sam. He's nearly 72 years old, he despises the modern game and takes no genuine interest in it, he despises modern society and can't disguise that, and he just makes the show so slowly moving and frustrating.

The format is so tired. Having these 3 lame duck players or ex players who add diddly squat to the content is mind numbing from a production perspective. And what production value is there then in seeking these same players tips for the round? It is excruciating television. Sam himself has been openly ambivalent to this part of the show for the past decade and yet the producers in their wisdom still see merit in it. If they can't devise something more compelling for their 3 'guest' panelists to contribute to other than fawning their egos then the producers should remove them entirely. It's All well and good to move Hutchy on but unless they cut a swathe through the production team it will be more of the same I fear.

comrade
21-07-2017, 04:58 PM

Hutchy's podcast with Barrett is also very good and presents Hutchy is a fairly unfiltered manner. I'll be interested to hear his take on the next episode.

FWIW, I also think he's a very good operator.

merantau
21-07-2017, 05:34 PM
Sam Newman has the ego of a coal mine and the self awareness of a briquette. He's 72 years old and doesn't seem to realise that very few people take him seriously. A case of arrested development for sure. Blinded by his massive ego he has been walking the road of irrelevency for years. His bosses at Ch 9 live by the "no publicity is ..." dictum. They don't care what he does/who he offends as long as the ratings hold up.
Susan Alberti is my hero.

Twodogs
21-07-2017, 06:11 PM

I like his Saturday morning show too. They really won me over when they had the show last year in Footscray and scooped a bunch of bulldog supporters up and took them to the prelim final. I thought that was using their powers (it must have cost a bit, a chartered flight couldn't have been cheap and tickets to the game) for good.

Scraggers
21-07-2017, 06:19 PM
I stopped watching the show the day Sam Newman brought Akermanis in to tell the world how shit the Bulldogs were after he got sacked. Haven't watched he show since. I don't like Hutchinson and especially don't like Barrett. (not a big Dave Hughes fan either). I do, however, like Shane Crawford, but I'm not willing to watch the drivel just to see his segment/s.

westdog54
21-07-2017, 06:46 PM

I'm a Hutchy fan as well. Rate him as a journo and his knowledge of the game itself leaves Barrett in the dust.

The thing I like about McGuire is that Sam didn't seem to get away with as much when Eddie was hosting. Eddie kept the show on track well.

In saying that I have no confidence that Sam will fade into the background.

They're axing the wrong person.

Topdog
21-07-2017, 07:28 PM
Amazed that Eddie agreed to take it on. His ego usually means he doesn't want to take on something destined to fail.

The show is dead, it offers absolutely nothing

BornInDroopSt'54
21-07-2017, 08:22 PM

Didn't he used to be Ernie Sigley? Is he the real Ernie Sigley and why would you call yourself Ernie Sigley if you aren't Ernie Sigley?:)

BornInDroopSt'54
21-07-2017, 08:38 PM
Amazed that Eddie agreed to take it on. His ego usually means he doesn't want to take on something destined to fail.

Yes yet there is such a demand for a show of its type. Everyone wants a foretaste of the weekends action, once the teams are announced. Talking a bit of crap will do as long as it is entertaining crap, with as much real footy as possible, even if its real footy from other levels. Channel 9 should give The Couldabeen Champions and Tony Lenard as much money as they want.

GVGjr
21-07-2017, 08:45 PM

I'm pretty sure a lot of people on here still watch it. I switched it off years ago and I've maybe seen a couple of hours in total in the last 5 or 6 years when I'm changing channels. Eddie will attract a larger audience but he must have a different offer in mind.

I think the problem is that it's neither funny or informative and tries for a blend of both but it comes up well short.

For it to survive this long it must still be appealing to many. Eddie might revive it but I won't be checking in.

ledge
21-07-2017, 08:54 PM
Point is it became about them and lost its focus on the reason people watch .. It's to see the teams. . I gave up watching years ago as they didn't show our team until about 11 at night just to keep you watching.
Best days were the Trevor Marmalade days ..
Just go back to something like league teams read them out discuss the ins and outs and move on ..an hour is enough.
I'm a football fan I have no interest in players private lives, what they are paid and how they got in trouble as a 10 year old.

Twodogs
21-07-2017, 09:28 PM
Didn't he used to be Ernie Sigley? Is he the real Ernie Sigley and why would you call yourself Ernie Sigley if you aren't Ernie Sigley?:)

Yes, no and I have no idea. ;)

I think the real Ernie Sigley is suffering from Altzeimers and hasn't been at all well. He missed the premiership last year because of his ill health. I felt bad for him.

aker39
21-07-2017, 09:55 PM
I like his Saturday morning show too. They really won me over when they had the show last year in Footscray and scooped a bunch of bulldog supporters up and took them to the prelim final. I thought that was using their powers (it must have cost a bit, a chartered flight couldn't have been cheap and tickets to the game) for good.

I saw Hutchy after the game and all the Dogs supporters were giving him high fives and thanking him for bringing the supporters to the game.

hujsh
21-07-2017, 10:12 PM

Absolutely a word! I've seen it in a video game so it has to be.

Webby
21-07-2017, 10:19 PM
I saw Hutchy after the game and all the Dogs supporters were giving him high fives and thanking him for bringing the supporters to the game.

I actually sat next to Hutchie at a lunch a bit over a year ago. He was good to talk to personally. Unguarded and pretty natural. Decent bloke, rwally. Does his best in the media and fair to say his best is pretty good. Also like his Saturday morning show, as other posters have said.

Problems with The Footy Show do not lie with Hutchie. Its problems lie in the fact that it's no longer a footy show with a sprinkling of variety and humour. It's now a B grade variety show with a sprinkling of footy. Also, when the show first started, you just didn't see footballers in the media. I remember when it first came on thinking "Geez, is that what Doug's personality and voice sounds like! I'm fascinated to get to know him!"

Now, (no, make that the last 15 years) the show's problem is that everyone hears these players speak on a weekly basis. There's no intrigue. It's saturation. So that sprinkling of personality has lost its punch.

Instead of recognising that as the core reason why the show's viewership has dropped off, the producers have "chased the dragon" by thinking that more sprinkles are the way to go.

In fact, the exact opposite is the truth. They've needed to leverage the core value of the show - the football. Instead, they've pursued the wrong path and completely stuffed it. I turned off around 2000.

Now Fox Footy have stolen the march, whilst the Ch7 show with Mick Molloy, Sam Pang and Andy Maher (who's inferior to Hutchie, imo - not that it's an overly significant ingredient) has outflanked it for simple, laid back humour. Thing is, 2 of the 3 are actually comedians-cum-entertainers. That beats Sam Newman and a bunch of mundane footballers every time. It's so simple. I wonder why such highly paid TV execs can't work it out!

Dry Rot
21-07-2017, 10:33 PM

Please give my regards to the great man.

I've met him a few times in Sydney. I still remember our last meeting at the Sydney Star Casino where he was an utter chick magnet for hotties, albeit very mature ones

Dry Rot
21-07-2017, 10:36 PM
And after all the criticism (quite justified) of The Footy Show on this thread, I'd like to post a positive comment.

I really like The Front bar, particularly when they get in players (great and otherwise) from the past.

Remi Moses
21-07-2017, 10:40 PM
Front bar is excellent . It's gone from a 15 min show on the AFL app two years ago , to prime time FTA

westdog54
21-07-2017, 10:52 PM
Front bar is excellent . It's gone from a 15 min show on the AFL app two years ago , to prime time FTA

I've enjoyed The Front Bar the few times I've had a look. Sam Pang is becoming one of my favourite TV personalities.

He was on Have You Been Paying Attention when one of the panelists mentioned that his nickname was 'The Orchid' when he was playing suburban footy.

When asked why this was, Pang sheepishly replied 'because I needed perfect conditions in order to thrive'.

His work with Ed Kavalee and Santo Ciluaro during the 2012 World Cup.

ratsmac
22-07-2017, 12:22 AM
The footy show is done. Eddie won't save it unless there's a complete shake up of the format. They sacked the wrong bloke. Sam Newman is a rich moron. He thinks his opinion is the correct one because he went to Geelong grammar. They think telling the same jokes for years on end is good television. I used to watch it just to see the teams for the weekend games, but now with the internet and the AFL app I get more than that as soon as the teams are out. The footy show has run it race and getting Eddie back just shows how desperate they're getting.

The front bar is a great show that I actually look forward every week to watch. Light humour with 2 good funny men and 1 half serious bloke to get the show on track.

Twodogs
22-07-2017, 01:00 AM
Please give my regards to the great man.

I've met him a few times in Sydney. I still remember our last meeting at the Sydney Star Casino where he was an utter chick magnet for hotties, albeit very mature ones

I shall pass on your regards. He is possibly the greatest wingman to walk into a nightclub.

The footy show is done. Eddie won't save it unless there's a complete shake up of the format. They sacked the wrong bloke. Sam Newman is a rich moron. He thinks his opinion is the correct one because he went to Geelong grammar. They think telling the same jokes for years on end is good television. I used to watch it just to see the teams for the weekend games, but now with the internet and the AFL app I get more than that as soon as the teams are out. The footy show has run it race and getting Eddie back just shows how desperate they're getting.

The front bar is a great show that I actually look forward every week to watch. Light humour with 2 good funny men and 1 half serious bloke to get the show on track.

Eddie will work for a limited time, a couple of weeks a month but Sam will drag it back down again by being Sam. You're quite right about new media beating TFS to the punch with the team announcements and robbing it of its prime reason for being.

AndrewP6
22-07-2017, 02:17 AM
Good move IMO. Eddie was the best host of the show, and I gained a new appreciation for him after seeing the Fox Footy post-GF. Cannot stand Hutchy, absolutely awful in that role, and don't much like his work on Footy Classified either. Don't know him personally, but hate him in the media. Smart move to give him the flick, wouldn't mind giving Maddern the same. Still think TFS is on borrowed time, but this might buy them a bit more time.

merantau
22-07-2017, 09:26 AM
I actually sat next to Hutchie at a lunch a bit over a year ago. He was good to talk to personally. Unguarded and pretty natural. Decent bloke, rwally. Does his best in the media and fair to say his best is pretty good. Also like his Saturday morning show, as other posters have said.

Problems with The Footy Show do not lie with Hutchie. Its problems lie in the fact that it's no longer a footy show with a sprinkling of variety and humour. It's now a B grade variety show with a sprinkling of footy. Also, when the show first started, you just didn't see footballers in the media. I remember when it first came on thinking "Geez, is that what Doug's personality and voice sounds like! I'm fascinated to get to know him!"

Now, (no, make that the last 15 years) the show's problem is that everyone hears these players speak on a weekly basis. There's no intrigue. It's saturation. So that sprinkling of personality has lost its punch.

Instead of recognising that as the core reason why the show's viewership has dropped off, the producers have "chased the dragon" by thinking that more sprinkles are the way to go.

In fact, the exact opposite is the truth. They've needed to leverage the core value of the show - the football. Instead, they've pursued the wrong path and completely stuffed it. I turned off around 2000.

Now Fox Footy have stolen the march, whilst the Ch7 show with Mick Molloy, Sam Pang and Andy Maher (who's inferior to Hutchie, imo - not that it's an overly significant ingredient) has outflanked it for simple, laid back humour. Thing is, 2 of the 3 are actually comedians-cum-entertainers. That beats Sam Newman and a bunch of mundane footballers every time. It's so simple. I wonder why such highly paid TV execs can't work it out!

They can't work it out Webby because they're blinded by their self-importance - don't forget they're in the medja!

ledge
22-07-2017, 10:41 AM
Well we can all blame Sheahen for the false news that comes nowadays .. He openly admitted and was proud of the fact he was the first to write opinion pieces instead of the actual news and facts. He mentions it on SEN how proud he was .. Personally it means " I'm to lazy to ring around and get facts or chase them up I will just write what I think "
Then it turns into rumours and it has got to the stage players are suffering mental illness from the media crap.
Good on you Mike Sheahen you bred blokes like Barrett.

always right
22-07-2017, 11:22 AM
My two cents worth.....

For me the weakness with the Footy Show is twofold;
- it doesn't matter which footy players they have on the panel simply because they have very little to offer. They aren't allowed to have strong opinions, very few have any sort of wit, and to be honest I have very little interest in footballers off the footy field. It's why when someone like Bob Murphy gets a gig on a show, everyone is so impressed that an intelligent and funny footballer actually exists....it's rare.
- the second weakness has been mentioned previously. The people on the footy show aren't professional entertainers or comedians (Dave Hughes the exception....but debateable), they're simply people who think they're entertaining or funny. The "loveable" Billy and Shane are the village idiots, the cantankerous Sam being faux controversial, and the vanilla hosts lauded for either looking presentable or being able to string a few words together.

The bar is set so low for a show like this, it was always going to be vulnerable to a show like the Front Bar coming along to provide a better alternative. I love the Front Bar, Mick Malloy and particularly Sam Pang who is one of the best talents to hit mainstream TV in years. Having said that, the show thrives on its simplicity yet it's simplicity is its potential weakness. I reckon it needs to continue to evolve or it will become a little tired and predictable in a relatively short space of time. I think they recognise this by bringing in different faces like Judd and shortly Jonathan Brown to keep it fresh.

Scraggers
22-07-2017, 12:00 PM
I enjoy the Front Bar (I'm a Sam Pang fan), but I rarely watch FTA TV anymore. I watch AFL360 religiously. I can't stand Robbie but I rate Gerard Waitley (excuse spellink).

westdog54
22-07-2017, 01:01 PM
My two cents worth.....

For me the weakness with the Footy Show is twofold;
- it doesn't matter which footy players they have on the panel simply because they have very little to offer. They aren't allowed to have strong opinions, very few have any sort of wit, and to be honest I have very little interest in footballers off the footy field. It's why when someone like Bob Murphy gets a gig on a show, everyone is so impressed that an intelligent and funny footballer actually exists....it's rare.
- the second weakness has been mentioned previously. The people on the footy show aren't professional entertainers or comedians (Dave Hughes the exception....but debateable), they're simply people who think they're entertaining or funny. The "loveable" Billy and Shane are the village idiots, the cantankerous Sam being faux controversial, and the vanilla hosts lauded for either looking presentable or being able to string a few words together.

The bar is set so low for a show like this, it was always going to be vulnerable to a show like the Front Bar coming along to provide a better alternative. I love the Front Bar, Mick Malloy and particularly Sam Pang who is one of the best talents to hit mainstream TV in years. Having said that, the show thrives on its simplicity yet it's simplicity is its potential weakness. I reckon it needs to continue to evolve or it will become a little tired and predictable in a relatively short space of time. I think they recognise this by bringing in different faces like Judd and shortly Jonathan Brown to keep it fresh.

That, right there, is the problem.

Look at some of the strong personalities that used to appear as players that had no hesitation whatsoever standing up to Sam: Jason Dunstall, David Schwartz, Nick Riewoldt, Nathan Brown, Jonathan Brown, Billy Brownless (had some great stouches with Sam), Brendan Fevola. None of them ever took a backward step with Sam. The Ox even took a couple of forward ones.

Now the players know they're going to get shouted over or talked down to by Newman, and they'll get no backing if they push back. Why bother?

I don't know what the incentive is to give Sam such a long leash. The show has been failing for years but he's been the one constant that hasn't gone away. The problem is 9 don't have the balls to bone him.

Twodogs
22-07-2017, 01:21 PM
That, right there, is the problem.

Look at some of the strong personalities that used to appear as players that had no hesitation whatsoever standing up to Sam: Jason Dunstall, David Schwartz, Nick Riewoldt, Nathan Brown, Jonathan Brown, Billy Brownless (had some great stouches with Sam), Brendan Fevola. None of them ever took a backward step with Sam. The Ox even took a couple of forward ones.

Now the players know they're going to get shouted over or talked down to by Newman, and they'll get no backing if they push back. Why bother?

I don't know what the incentive is to give Sam such a long leash. The show has been failing for years but he's been the one constant that hasn't gone away. The problem is 9 don't have the balls to bone him.

Newman must know where every body is buried and a few more besides. Otherwise you'd just dig all the bodies up and then bone him. Whatever dirt he has it must be good.

westdog54
22-07-2017, 01:51 PM
Newman must know where every body is buried and a few more besides. Otherwise you'd just dig all the bodies up and then bone him. Whatever dirt he has it must be good.

The absolute worst thing is, had Newman walked away from the show 10 years ago he would have done so with his head held high and his football and media legacy intact.

He's tarnished what was up until that point almost four decades of wonderful service to both.

Twodogs
22-07-2017, 03:50 PM
The absolute worst thing is, had Newman walked away from the show 10 years ago he would have done so with his head held high and his football and media legacy intact.

He's tarnished what was up until that point almost four decades of wonderful service to both.

A bit like what Arsene is doing at Arsenal. Actively trashing his own reputation and legacy.

Remi Moses
22-07-2017, 09:45 PM
I'm just going to say this once , but there has been way way to much noise on this stale show
Not on here, but as a story .

Topdog
24-07-2017, 03:49 PM
I'm just going to say this once , but there has been way way to much noise on this stale show
Not on here, but as a story .

Yep Eddie getting the hype going

Webby
09-08-2017, 02:03 PM
Bit of word about town re a "big announcement" on TFS tomorrow night..

Might have something to do with a player or players coming out as gay...

I'd hate one of those players to be a Collingwood player, as for me, it would cut right to Eddie McGuire's character and integrity.

So many thoughts would come to mind in this scenario.. Conflict of interest, blatant exploitation of his position as a club insider to benefit he and his venture etc etc...

Where do you begin, really?! Anyway, might not be true. Hope it isn't, because is would taint and cheapen what would be an historic and symbolic event.

If it did happen, Eddie would be criticised, but would defend himself. He'd argue that the player received a fee and that everyone's a winner. His integrity would be debated publicly around Australia. Meanwhile everyone in Australia will be discussing Eddie and the Footy Show...

.... Actually, the more I think of it, the more I convince myself it's almost a certainty to happen!!

1eyedog
09-08-2017, 03:28 PM
My news is it is Tom Boyd. Touted as the main reason for his recent absence to work out an approach to the AFL and public. It will be interesting to see if what I've been told is true.

bornadog
09-08-2017, 04:02 PM
I won't be watching

ledge
09-08-2017, 04:11 PM
To be honest it's non news .. Who cares about their private lives I just want to see footy and if the footy show makes an issue of this they are the lowest of lows.
What's the next episode two footballers come out as hermaphrodites?
I have a son and daughter and my advice would be don't come out on a Tv show saying your gay it's no ones business just enjoy life.
I think the public accept everyone nowadays no matter what the sexual preference is , I work with all types of people and they are all treated the same no one gives a shit.
The footy show is making it an issue. The public aren't.

Doc26
09-08-2017, 04:17 PM
Eddie has refuted all of this speculation.

Scraggers
09-08-2017, 04:51 PM
Eddie has refuted all of this speculation.

He did this on Perth radio this morning too.

1eyedog
09-08-2017, 07:07 PM
My news is it is Tom Boyd. Touted as the main reason for his recent absence to work out an approach to the AFL and public. It will be interesting to see if what I've been told is true.

I should clarify that a member of the football club said this to me, someone involved in banner making. I thought nothing of it at the time but Webby's post jolted my memory. Should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

hujsh
09-08-2017, 07:09 PM
To be honest it's non news .. Who cares about their private lives I just want to see footy and if the footy show makes an issue of this they are the lowest of lows.
What's the next episode two footballers come out as hermaphrodites?
I have a son and daughter and my advice would be don't come out on a Tv show saying your gay it's no ones business just enjoy life.
I think the public accept everyone nowadays no matter what the sexual preference is , I work with all types of people and they are all treated the same no one gives a shit.
The footy show is making it an issue. The public aren't.
They certainly have no obligation to share and we have no right to know but if they did come out then however they did it would take a lot of courage. I just hope Australia doesn't let itself down in the response to that when it inevitable happens.

1eyedog
09-08-2017, 07:13 PM
They certainly have no obligation to share and we have no right to know but if they did come out then however they did it would take a lot of courage. I just hope Australia doesn't let itself down in the response to that when it inevitable happens.

It will.

AndrewP6
09-08-2017, 08:22 PM

I'd like to think that, but social media tells me that isn't the case.

bornadog
09-08-2017, 09:06 PM
I'd like to think that, but social media tells me that isn't the case.

Yep homophobia still exists.

Topdog
09-08-2017, 09:15 PM
This has been touted to be a big news story on TFS pretty much once a year for the last 5 years so I'm guessing it's again not true

bulldogtragic
09-08-2017, 09:17 PM
Yep homophobia still exists.

And racism and sexism. But it's up to all the decent folk to stand up and not tolerate any of these isms at the footy (as the case in where we are talking about a footballer on a football forum). People can leave their hate at home, but at the footy race, sex or gender isn't relevant. I have no problems telling people to pull their heads in, and if any homophobia, racism or sexism to the extent it's evident at any crowd we form part of, I hope the club bans them all for life. Footy is people's escape from work, stress, bad news and the general bullshit of life. It's a three hour bubble where everything else can be forgotten about, and that's the way it should be. Anyone infesting our bubble, ruining our weekly escape, with their bullshit can go and get *!*!*!*!ed as far as I'm concerned.

bornadog
25-08-2017, 11:11 AM
Not that I watched the show (never will), but last night Sam Newman basically insulted Bob Murphy and the whole club. Sick of this old fart on our screens and trying to make headlines, but really he went too low as far as I am concerned.

You can read more here (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/08/24/watson-slams-distasteful-newman/) where Watson slams Sam.

I really don't know why anyone watches that crap.

jeemak
25-08-2017, 11:29 AM
Don't waste your energy being annoyed mate. He's a dick.

Remi Moses
25-08-2017, 11:37 AM
What jeemak said ^^
He looks like a constipated cat these days .
Constipated cat is more relevant though

Topdog
25-08-2017, 12:05 PM
Could not have read the situation more incorrectly. Not unsurprising when you consider it is Newman. The man has been irrelevant for 20 years and doesnt even watch games

Rocket Science
25-08-2017, 12:31 PM
That the putrid, rotting prick has bile, not blood, running through his veins is a surprise to no-one.

Reckon it's as much about the sort of human Bob is as anything else and the consequent respect he garners, and that clearly enrages the wretched old cadaver.

Wear it as a badge of honour Bob.

Bulldog Revolution
25-08-2017, 12:42 PM
He'll say anything for coverage - it's as simple as that

KT31
25-08-2017, 01:00 PM
Watched the Front Bar, so much better than the Footy Show has ever been.

ledge
25-08-2017, 01:18 PM
And then the herald sun writes about it.
The media feed off each other's tripe for stories.

bulldogsthru&thru
25-08-2017, 02:11 PM
It's the AFL media. The absolute bottom of the barrel.

Happy Days
25-08-2017, 02:33 PM
The snake that consumes its own tail to survive.

KT31
25-08-2017, 02:57 PM
The snake that consumes its own tail to survive.

To be fair it wouldn't be his tail, it would now be a new botox filled one he has had stitched on.

EasternWest
25-08-2017, 06:12 PM
And then the herald sun writes about it.
The media feed off each other's tripe for stories.

Well there's your problem right there.

Sedat
25-08-2017, 07:19 PM
Footy Show rated 118k last night. It is as cooked as Sam's botched facial surgery.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2017, 07:36 PM
Footy Show rated 118k last night. It is as cooked as Sam's botched facial surgery.

Sponsors must be bailing on that kind of performance. Has McGuire started yet? If so, then the re-boot had failed and it's a matter of time before the bean counters realise all those wages and effort aren't worth it without high paying sponsors and ad buyers.

Damn shame...

bornadog
25-08-2017, 08:05 PM
Damn shame...

Outdated 20 years ago, hope they lose a bucket on it

bulldogtragic
25-08-2017, 08:07 PM
Outdated 20 years ago, hope they lose a bucket on it

I don't care what they do with the show. If only 118,000 watched it last night, neither do most of the footy watching/interested public.

Testekill
25-08-2017, 08:13 PM
If they're to turn the Footy show around then they're gonna have to sack Sam at the end of the season. He's a dinosaur that isn't needed in the industry anymore.

GVGjr
25-08-2017, 08:23 PM
They footy show has a fair support base on here. It would be good to hear what they think of the show now that Eddie has returned and about Sam's comments last night?

Sedat
25-08-2017, 08:36 PM
Sponsors must be bailing on that kind of performance. Has McGuire started yet? If so, then the re-boot had failed and it's a matter of time before the bean counters realise all those wages and effort aren't worth it without high paying sponsors and ad buyers.

Damn shame...
The reboot 'success' was nothing but a dead cat bounce. Show is cooked - has been for years (possibly decades)

Twodogs
26-08-2017, 09:22 AM
The reboot 'success' was nothing but a dead cat bounce. Show is cooked - has been for years (possibly decades)

Yep, they mistook people tuning in out of morbid curiosity for a ratings bounce.

Here's my advice. Make the show more about football and people might watch. Actually make the new show more about football because TFS is done, stick a fork in it.

AndrewP6
26-08-2017, 04:35 PM
I tuned in, was interested in seeing how they would change it up. Beyond a new set, new (old) host... Not much changed. I'm still waiting for the "all new" they keep talking about.

LostDoggy
26-08-2017, 06:50 PM

Damn shame...

Its all good Buckley has been named by Eddie as Newmans successor :)

bornadog
10-05-2019, 09:50 AM
Officially Axed after 735 shows and 25 straight seasons.

hujsh
10-05-2019, 10:23 AM
Now the nation can finally begin the healing process.

Twodogs
10-05-2019, 10:28 AM
Officially Axed after 735 shows and 25 straight seasons.

So it's gone straight away or continues until the end of the year?

Rocket Science
10-05-2019, 10:46 AM
There must be a team of Nine execs hunkered down in a morning meeting right now to discuss whether they can revive the concept with something bold like exhuming the remains of Newman.

Remi Moses
10-05-2019, 11:04 AM
Didn’t realise it was still
I think I’ve missed about the last 20 years

hujsh
10-05-2019, 11:29 AM
There must be a team of Nine execs hunkered down in a morning meeting right now to discuss whether they can revive the concept with something bold like exhuming the remains of Newman.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/WRoAAOSwbP1acDhj/s-l640.jpg

I'd watch it. Looks okay for his age

bornadog
10-05-2019, 11:47 AM
So it's gone straight away or continues until the end of the year?

Finished straight away

Twodogs
10-05-2019, 11:53 AM
Finished straight away

Geez, that's pretty brutal. If you were Lehmo you'd be thinking "at least I've got a regular gig until October" right until they take him out the back and shoot him.

GVGjr
10-05-2019, 12:58 PM
I've only ever watched a few minutes here or there for the last 10 or 12 years but for those who loved it they deserved at least some advanced notice that last nights show would be it's last.

westdog54
10-05-2019, 02:00 PM
I've only ever watched a few minutes here or there for the last 10 or 12 years but for those who loved it they deserved at least some advanced notice that last nights show would be it's last.

As much as I hated what she show had become it deserved a lot better than 24 hours notice for the final show.

ReLoad
10-05-2019, 05:48 PM

they will get paid out most certainly.

LostDoggy
10-05-2019, 06:31 PM
Oh dear, a week before my mentally handicapped Aunty was meant to go as an audience member... probably for the best

AndrewP6
10-05-2019, 07:54 PM
As much as I hated what she show had become it deserved a lot better than 24 hours notice for the final show.

Didn't even get that courtesy. They were told after the show finished.

Twodogs
10-05-2019, 08:00 PM
Didn't even get that courtesy. They were told after the show finished.

C9 trust none of their 'talent' in situations like this. They always wait until the laqst episode has been put to bed before they tell the hosts.

What they don't understand is that it holds their audience in contempt too.

ledge
10-05-2019, 10:03 PM
As if you couldn’t see that coming, blind Freddie could see it.

bornadog
10-05-2019, 10:54 PM
As if you couldn’t see that coming, blind Freddie could see it.

Saw that 20 years ago, and finally Ch9 did :D

Ghost Dog
11-05-2019, 10:47 AM
Always had a streak of meanness in it that I hated. The kind of show where someone gets treated awfully and people are encouraged to stand around and laugh. If you complain about it you are 'weak'. Pathetic show, worst on TV.

EasternWest
11-05-2019, 10:56 AM
Always had a streak of meanness in it that I hated. The kind of show where someone gets treated awfully and people are encouraged to stand around and laugh.

Yeah well put, I couldn't quite put my finger on it myself.

GVGjr
11-05-2019, 11:19 AM
Always had a streak of meanness in it that I hated. The kind of show where someone gets treated awfully and people are encouraged to stand around and laugh. If you complain about it you are 'weak'. Pathetic show, worst on TV.

I guess the people who made the decision to ditch the show and effectively crap on the fans is exactly in line with the way the show often treated a lot of people. I can't say I'll miss it in the slightest.

Scraggers
11-05-2019, 12:01 PM
I guess the people who made the decision to ditch the show and effectively crap on the fans is exactly in line with the way the show often treated a lot of people. I can't say I'll miss it in the slightest.

The last show i watched was when Akermanis crapped on the Bulldogs after being sacked ... The show jumped the shark years before that though.

Twodogs
11-05-2019, 12:57 PM
The last show i watched was when Akermanis crapped on the Bulldogs after being sacked ... The show jumped the shark years before that though.

Same here and that was the first time I had watched it in ages. Thinking back I didn't even get to the end of the Aker bit.

McGuire kept Sam (despite appearances to the contrary) on a very tight leash as host and after Eddie went the nasty edge that Eddie kept his finger on got really pronounced. A bit like what would happen if Gary left WOOF.

westdog54
11-05-2019, 01:45 PM
Same here and that was the first time I had watched it in ages. Thinking back I didn't even get to the end of the Aker bit.

McGuire kept Sam (despite appearances to the contrary) on a very tight leash as host and after Eddie went the nasty edge that Eddie kept his finger on got really pronounced. A bit like what would happen if Gary left WOOF.

Correct. He had free rein after Eddie left and neither Garry nor JB had the will or the ability to keep him in check. He did as he pleased and the Neanderthals lapped it up.

Ghost Dog
11-05-2019, 02:10 PM

Don't even entertain such things.

Rocco Jones
11-05-2019, 02:17 PM

Very well put.

Bulldog4life
11-05-2019, 02:17 PM
I thought 9 made a mistake by not starting afresh and calling the new show another name. Might have created a new audience.

EasternWest
12-05-2019, 09:11 PM

Boy oh boy if that day comes have I got some zingers for you.

jeemak
12-05-2019, 11:09 PM
Correct. He had free rein after Eddie left and neither Garry nor JB had the will or the ability to keep him in check. He did as he pleased and the Neanderthals lapped it up.

Yep, because they're the typical type of arseclowns who don't quite encourage poor behaviour openly, but revel in its aftermath whilst trying to present themselves as not involved.

Twodogs
13-05-2019, 12:54 PM
Boy oh boy if that day comes have I got some zingers for you.

Zing away bigfella. Zing away...

Gary ain't the bad cop, not by a long measure!

EasternWest
13-05-2019, 12:59 PM
Zing away bigfella. Zing away...

Gary ain't the bad cop, not by a long measure!

He's the reasonable voice that talks us down when we're being a bit silly. If he were to leave....

Dancin' Douggy
14-05-2019, 10:30 AM
Yep, because they're the typical type of arseclowns who don't quite encourage poor behaviour openly, but revel in its aftermath whilst trying to present themselves as not involved.

Well said

Dancin' Douggy
14-05-2019, 10:32 AM
Well said. Nicely summed up. So much of the modern ‘blokey’ Football banter follows this model. I can’t stand it.

Twodogs
14-05-2019, 10:39 AM
He's the reasonable voice that talks us down when we're being a bit silly. If he were to leave....

And that is exactly the reason I refused to counter starting up a website back when we moderated the Bigfooty buldogs board until he said he was onboard-his strengths (organization, discipline) are my weaknesses and vice versa (I'm an ideas man and I am the rudest person you will ever meet.) There are very few people I actually listen to in this life but Gary happens to be one of them. If he says no then I pull my head in.

Bulldog4life
14-05-2019, 01:11 PM
And that is exactly the reason I refused to counter starting up a website back when we moderated the Bigfooty buldogs board until he said he was onboard-his strengths (organization, discipline) are my weaknesses and vice versa (I'm an ideas man and I am the rudest person you will ever meet.) There are very few people I actually listen to in this life but Gary happens to be one of them. If he says no then I pull my head in.

You come across as such a gentleman too.

Twodogs
14-05-2019, 01:15 PM
You come across as such a gentleman too.

I know, it must be a shock.

westdog54
14-05-2019, 05:13 PM

I can second this. I've seen him on a good day. I'd hate to see him on a bad day.

Twodogs
14-05-2019, 07:55 PM
I can second this. I've seen him on a good day. I'd hate to see him on a bad day.

What was I expected to do? You were the one who turned up disguised as an umpire!

westdog54
14-05-2019, 11:17 PM
What was I expected to do? You were the one who turned up disguised as an umpire!

I was thinking more about the night when Napoleon Dynamite was umpiring and we had the celebrity opponent.

Twodogs
18-05-2019, 07:25 PM
I was thinking more about the night when Napoleon Dynamite was umpiring and we had the celebrity opponent.

Oh yes, You're hot Ando!!!!!

jeemak
26-05-2019, 04:58 PM
Caught this article today, why would they put this dude on TV?

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/nine-apologises-for-mal-brown-s-offensive-jewish-comment-20190526-p51r9j.html

Ch9 really need to move away from putting old uneducated and racist/sexist dickheads on television, I mean it's really not that hard in 2019 to find people who won't say anti-Semitic and other types of racist or sexist things on TV...…...

Bulldog4life
26-05-2019, 07:37 PM

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/nine-apologises-for-mal-brown-s-offensive-jewish-comment-20190526-p51r9j.html

Ch9 really need to move away from putting old uneducated and racist/sexist dickheads on television, I mean it's really not that hard in 2019 to find people who won't say anti-Semitic and other types of racist or sexist things on TV...…...

Thought you were talking about Newman till I clicked on link.

bulldogtragic
26-05-2019, 07:53 PM
Thought you were talking about Newman till I clicked on link.

Me too, so I didn't until your comment. Let's say Ch9 black ban for this. His son KO's teammates and still got a gig on Ch7. Now both should be enough to not get an invite back to the studios, but senior could lament his language on national tv, while junior who had engaged in serious acts of violence keeps getting promoted at Ch7. It's hard not feel like the networks don't bare about the theoretical moral stance they should have. I mean Carey's many assaults, mistreatment of women and being a witness for a gangland figure during the gangland war isn't relevant. Upon reflection, I don't watch any of the footy shows anymore and not watching other games any more. Which I liked doing. I can't read afl media because it's just a dickhead potting Tom Boyd or Bevo and newspapers much the same. Without woof, I doubt I would even discuss or read footy stuff anymore.

Twodogs
26-05-2019, 07:55 PM

And I notice that they've gone with the old hold all answer “We apologise for any offence it may have caused.” being the same as "If I have caused anyone distress (ie it's your fault but I'm such a great bloke it's me who is apologising) then I apologise"