PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Tiller

bulldogsman
29-05-2008, 08:07 PM
I think now is the time for him to be tested in the backline. Mark Williams is a perfect match up for him, very similar players. Both quick off the mark, reasonably smart, both leading type players. Even if Tiller is beaten this is the perfect player for Tiller to learn from if he plays a more in the forward line. What do you think?

hujsh
29-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Deja vu;)

LostDoggy
29-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Mark Williams (small and fast) is not the right match up for Tiller I believe.
Tiller at 191cm+ may be taller but no where near as quick.

Mofra
29-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Tiller looks to be a Hargrave mk2 type of player who can play taller than he is and also run & carrry whilst being damaging forward (probably moreso than Shaggy as a forward).

Think he will be a slow & steady developer like Shaggy.

LostDoggy
29-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Dont rate him. Dont like the way he moves, most of Scott Clayton's recruits move well, Tiller doesnt. Happy to be proven wrong though

bornadog
30-05-2008, 12:08 AM
Dont rate him. Dont like the way he moves, most of Scott Clayton's recruits move well, Tiller doesnt. Happy to be proven wrong though

I think he moves better this year than last. He looks more athletic this year, so his fitness level must be up as well.

The Pie Man
30-05-2008, 12:16 AM
Nice straight kick for goal, though I've yet to see him take a soid contested mark. I'd love to see him given 4 weeks at full forward to see if he can cut it, but it's good to see he's being tried at both ends so he's flexable.

One thing to be wary of with a Tiller type is the fate that Kieran McGuiness suffered, I'd hate to see another potentially successfull forward's career shattered by being played out of position

Desipura
30-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Nice straight kick for goal, though I've yet to see him take a soid contested mark. I'd love to see him given 4 weeks at full forward to see if he can cut it, but it's good to see he's being tried at both ends so he's flexable.

One thing to be wary of with a Tiller type is the fate that Kieran McGuiness suffered, I'd hate to see another potentially successfull forward's career shattered by being played out of position
A fair comparison however I do not think McGuiness was a kpp type whereas Tiller has the potential IMHO to play full fwd. He has very good pace off the mark, something McGuiness did not have

Bumper Bulldogs
30-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Tiller will come to his own when Jonno is not around. i think he shows to much respect to Jonno and hangs back a little, In willi he just goes for it. Liked him last week with the niggle and yap.

Mcguiness always looked to have "heavy legs"

1eyedog
30-05-2008, 11:31 PM

I agree, he looks awkward, opportunistic footballer who hopefully has some smarts to make up for lack of speed

I have eaten my words. I thought he was good offensively in the Swans game but he was very good defensively against the Hawks. Looking forward to watching him on Sunday against the Saints.

LostDoggy
31-05-2008, 06:37 PM
played a very very good game today, good use of the ball, got plenty of it and his hardness was great!! Seems like hw was a good swap for wight.

Shame about Callan, he has been great this year nd we we will miss his hardness!

ledge
31-05-2008, 06:55 PM
At what stage do we get the Tiller knockers to eat there words?
Today no doubt proved he has the goods, would like to see him forward eventually.
Jerry any changes in your thoughts after todays game?

hujsh
31-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Today no doubt proved he has the goods, would like to see him forward eventually.

Tiller did some great stuff but didn't do too much so I doubt Jerry (or most people) would have changed his opinion on one match

LostDoggy
31-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Tiller looks the goods. Needs slightly better decision making at this level but that will come with experience.

hujsh
31-05-2008, 07:06 PM
I like his speed for his height and he looks good (especially when he met that ball at CHF)

BulldogBelle
31-05-2008, 08:37 PM
He is starting to the goods.

l like the way he goes at it.
looking forward to see how he goes over the next year or so!

LostDoggy
31-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Yes Tiller is crap, just like we haven't played anyone yet.

1eyedog
01-06-2008, 09:40 AM

He's done nothing to convince me as yet, that said, I didn't really bag him out, I just said he looks awkward and I hope he has some smarts for his apparent lack of speed (he's only 6'3, Embley is 6'3 for instance) so I based my observation of speed on that, i.e other 6'3 players are quicker than him. Anyway, will be watching with interest over the next couple of weeks and you lot may well be calling for a demotion by then:p

GVGjr
01-06-2008, 09:47 AM
He's done nothing to convince me as yet, that said, I didn't really bag him out, I just said he looks awkward and I hope he has some smarts for his apparent lack of speed (he's only 6'3, Embley is 6'3 for instance) so I based my observation of speed on that, i.e other 6'3 players are quicker than him. Anyway, will be watching with interest over the next couple of weeks and you lot may well be calling for a demotion by then:p

I thought he had a good game (hard to find bad players actually) but long term the question about his true position will need to be answered. At the moment he is probably either a HBF or a HFF so he will need to add something more to his game. I like his run and his courage but he probably needs to be a stronger mark to become a permanent fixture in this team.

The Pie Man
01-06-2008, 10:12 AM
His marking ability was question mark for mine on Tiller, his great grab going back with the flight of the ball yesterday went some way to answering it (not completely though) Next I want to see a wrestle and grab in the goal square like Welsh today from Tiller.

He was a huge positive, along with Ray. Will Eade continue his football education and play him everywhere?

GetDimmaBack
01-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Obviously still learning, as he's only played a handful of games. Thought he showed plenty of courage, and he seemed to handle the ball cleanly. I think he backs himself a bit, and that's a good sign in a young bloke. Tackled well. Looked a bit quicker than I thought, too. Lots of positives.

LostDoggy
01-06-2008, 12:49 PM
His marking is fine. His leg speed is fine too.
How many games has he played? 5 or 6? Some here are talking like he is a 50 game veteran.
We played Wight 9 games straight and he did bugger all, let Tiller have 9 games and then judge him as he is better.

Mofra
01-06-2008, 01:40 PM
He obviously needs to add size - he really could be a similar player to Welsh, and has time on his side. As good as he played for Willy in defence, I prefer him forward. Nice assist with a looping handball to Griffen & a gutsy mark yesterday.

Sockeye Salmon
01-06-2008, 02:18 PM
He's a completely different player to Welsh. His future is as a Andrew Mackie style HBF. He'll be fighting with Hargrave for a spot and Hargrave is quicker and is a better kick (at this stage).

GVGjr
01-06-2008, 03:34 PM
He's a completely different player to Welsh. His future is as a Andrew Mackie style HBF. He'll be fighting with Hargrave for a spot and Hargrave is quicker and is a better kick (at this stage).

Any chance that Shaggy will move to the wing and a spot across half back will open up for Tiller?

bold-dogg
01-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Good footballer, confident, committed, hard as nails. A winner.

The picture in the Sunday Age sports section looks good. Might pin it up on the wall at work.

Go_Dogs
01-06-2008, 05:35 PM
I thought he had a good game (hard to find bad players actually) but long term the question about his true position will need to be answered. At the moment he is probably either a HBF or a HFF so he will need to add something more to his game. I like his run and his courage but he probably needs to be a stronger mark to become a permanent fixture in this team.

I still say he'll end up a key forward, and be a huge unit. I'm hoping that he starts packing the bulk on over the next few years though, otherwise my prediction about how large he could get with his frame was way off the mark.

The Pie Man
01-06-2008, 05:52 PM
I wonder where (as in what position) he played his junior footy....judging by the variety of views, it might be fair to say the coaching staff aren't sure where he's best suited either.

I'm thinking as a full forward who is versatile, but who knows. We've got no chance of trading for an established forward (I don't buy Caro's article in the Age that Brown might head home, and Fev will stay at Carlton) and McDougall's a dud, so we need a Tiller to really develop into a Cam Mooney type.

I think most of us would say he has potential anyway

dog town
02-06-2008, 12:06 PM
I said last year he needed to add something to his game. He was playing as a lead up player but had no real stand out attribute and lacked versatility. The game tends to swallow up those types. He needed a few points of difference and I think he is working towards that pretty well.

He has played some good defensive forward roles and has become quite a physical player. His tackling and attack on the footy is going to stand him in good shape whether he goes back to being a genuine leading forward or goes down back. I think he has tremendous versatility now and will build from that. It might take him a while but I am now fairly confident he will make it as a player.

Go_Dogs
02-06-2008, 12:17 PM
I said last year he needed to add something to his game. He was playing as a lead up player but had no real stand out attribute and lacked versatility. The game tends to swallow up those types. He needed a few points of difference and I think he is working towards that pretty well.

He has played some good defensive forward roles and has become quite a physical player. His tackling and attack on the footy is going to stand him in good shape whether he goes back to being a genuine leading forward or goes down back. I think he has tremendous versatility now and will build from that. It might take him a while but I am now fairly confident he will make it as a player.

How good was his lead up, half volley pick up and quick handball to Murphy(?) running past, at our F50 line on the weekend? So clean and his attack and ability below his knees was fantastic.

His tackling and presence has been great too. He'll continue to grow in confidence with more games, and I felt he was unlucky to be moved out of the side after playing pretty well earlier in the year.

LostDoggy
02-06-2008, 12:37 PM
I wish Tiller would get a haircut

Everytime he goes near the ball I think its Sam Power

Gives me a heart attack every time.

ledge
02-06-2008, 12:58 PM
I will tell him, that is scary

LostDoggy
02-06-2008, 01:25 PM
We saw him at the Williamstown game 2 weeks back in a non playing capacity. Thongs, shorts and t-shirt, unshaven and messy hair. Cyberdoggy mentioned that he looked like a bum.

The Pie Man
02-06-2008, 09:24 PM

haha oh that is wrong - poor Sam...

LostDoggy
03-06-2008, 03:48 PM
We saw him at the Williamstown game 2 weeks back in a non playing capacity. Thongs, shorts and t-shirt, unshaven and messy hair. Cyberdoggy mentioned that he looked like a bum.

He does look a bum. Or a mongrel, even. Love it.

LostDoggy
03-06-2008, 06:39 PM

I do too, or more occasionally i mistake his helmet hair for Griffen!

soupman
05-06-2008, 12:35 PM

Going by this description could a role as Mitch Hahns successor be his future? A strong bodied, hard at it 190cmish forward with good hands.

The Pie Man
05-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Going by this description could a role as Mitch Hahns successor be his future? A strong bodied, hard at it 190cmish forward with good hands.

that can kick straight!!

You trust Mitch more from 50 than 15 out. Love Mitch. Still remember his debut at the SCG on half back, never thought he'd end up on the forward line.

alwaysadog
05-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Might get a chance alonside Mitch this week to show if he can handle the heat in the Murph kitchen.

hujsh
10-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Right. He's struggling a bit in defense with the ball. Does anyone at the club remember he can play forward?

Probably won't matter as it seems he'll be dropped.