PDA

View Full Version : Ins and Outs - Selection for Round12 Vs Brisbane

becmatty
08-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Selection for next round Vs Brisbane is very interesting...

West and Callan are unlikely to be back, so only one certain change:

In: Murphy

It is difficult to select who will make way for Murph, but it willcome from either of the following:

Out: Either Tiller or Ward or Addison.

The other concern is Hudson (reported), but with Street cutting it up at Willy, it might be a nice opportunity for him...

GVGjr
08-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Some on the radio mentioned that Addison should be dropped but whilst me made some errors his endeavour is first rate.

It's hard to imagine Ward being dropped and Tiller hasn't done too much wrong either so whoever makes way for Murphy will be very unlucky.

LostDoggy
08-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Love Addison's hardness, definitely, but he was the only weak link in terms of any chain of disposals today. Any great move would end the moment the ball got into Dylan's hands. I doubt he hit a single target cleanly by foot today and would turn a simple pass into a contested situation -- a couple of hospital passes nearly took Hahn's and Boyd's heads off.

I'm terribly conflicted about Dylan's game -- he can't be faulted for his effort, but it's quite clear that his disposal, awareness (getting run down with acres of space around him when he received the ball) and decision making is nowhere close to the that required at this level. Can't imagine Ward or Tiller dropped after their games today.. in any case, both of them bring the same kind of physicality that Dylan does, so one could argue they bring a lot more to the team than Addison without really losing anything that Addison brings, at the end of the day.

If someone is dropped for Murph it would have to be him.

Dry Rot
08-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Was Hudson reported? If so, is he in trouble?

GVGjr
08-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Was Hudson reported? If so, is he in trouble?

He was reported so I suppose there is always the chance that he will go but I haven't seen anything and the guys on the radio were mixed in their opinions on the incident.

BulldogBelle
08-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Hudson's was a half a half-hearted love tap to the stomach of Montagna. I reckon should be okay but you never know with the Tribunal. Street obviously has been playing well but Hudson would be a massive loss. His efforts are exceptional and he starts so many forward movements be either hand or dispossesing opposition

Addison was pretty okay I thought, he fills that role that Callan has made his own.

LostDoggy
08-06-2008, 07:49 PM
I loved dylans game today, made up with little things for the mistakes

Out of that lot id be taking Tiller out who had an average game, Ward did some good things for a first gamer, loved that goal too, when we were putting 3 or 4 behinds through in a row he nails a goal, great by the youngster

The plus for us playing Brisbane is no to have to worry about the Twin Towers, only one is standing, i heard Bradshaw did his hammy or something..

The Coon Dog
08-06-2008, 07:59 PM
The plus for us playing Brisbane is no to have to worry about the Twin Towers, only one is standing, i heard Bradshaw did his hammy or something..

2 injuries for Brisbane, Harding (knee), Bradshaw (hamstring) tho I'm not sure how severe. Let's hope they're minor, just enough to miss 1 game.

LostDoggy
08-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Think its hard call and glad I dont have to tell the bloke he is playing at Willy this week I think it will be Tiller. But isn't it nice for a change we have found it hard to make changes to the side because the blokes are playing so well and we have the 2's on fire supplying pressue for the guys to stay on top of things or they will be replaced.

wb_age
08-06-2008, 08:17 PM
How about Addison's smother, Kosi was going to kick a certain goal but the hoover popped up of nowhere. It was so good, it actually rivals Doogs effort against Buddy last year.

Dylan's disposal/decision making may not always be great, (improving each week) however it's those one percenters and the fact that you'd back him to beat his opponent most times in a one on one contests that allow him to earn his stripes.

Good on Addison!

becmatty
08-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Also, Hill BOG at Williamstown, so the pressure really is on...Could he be selected? I would think one change is enough, but hard to keep him out after smashing them out there...

Rocket Science
08-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Wouldn't imagine Hudson has much to worry about at all.

Much as I enjoyed the kid's debut, I fear Ward's the one to make way for Murphy.

Addison's hardness is useful and save for the odd clanger he plays an involved, up-tempo game...Tiller was handy today too, found enough of the footy and used it fairly well. I like his versatility for the time being.

Ward showed a bit in spurts and will appreciate his taste of life in the bigs, and shouldn't be too disappointed about making way for the likes of Murph. Ward will be back, but all in good time.

LostDoggy
08-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Tough this week.... Maybe someone will pull up sore, and make it easier for the coaches!
Although Addison's disposal wasn't A grade today, he always, ALWAYS, has a crack, and is hard at the ball.

Maybe Tiller will be dropped... Tiller or Ward. I cant imagine them bringing Hill in, because thats another person who will have to be dropped, and it's hard enough finding room for one of our best forwards!

Whoever misses out this weekend is unlucky. I suppose it'll depend on match ups to Brisbane, too.

hujsh
08-06-2008, 09:26 PM
With The power of Brisbanes midfield i think Addison would be a handy taging option for Johnstone as he's become important but not enough to get the best tagger in each team.

Enter DFA

LostDoggy
08-06-2008, 09:33 PM
I think that Tiller should be the one that is dropped. Ward deserves at least one more week and though Addison did make some bad mistakes, I still feel that he had a better game than Tiller.

mjp
08-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Hudson's contact was late and they could actually find him guilty...I suspect he will get off with about 80 points though and not miss a week. I am not sure of his record though.

Addison is hard at it, but he was terrible today - his decision making remains a huge problem.

I have no problem with Ward being left out next week, but I do hate yo-yo selections...I am all for a two-game minimum stint for first year players.

LostDoggy
08-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Assuming there is no injuries then I would drop Everitt for Murphy. Brisbane aren't tall in the forward line so midfield options might be a premium against them.

The Underdog
08-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Tiller out for Murphy, think Huddo will be found guilty, but plead guilty and get off with less than 100 points.

Mantis
08-06-2008, 10:15 PM
I have no problem with Ward being left out next week, but I do hate yo-yo selections...I am all for a two-game minimum stint for first year players.

But it makes it hard due to the fact that he probably only got a game because Murf was missing for a week.

LostDoggy
08-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Out Ward in Murphy. Addison deserves another crack, and i like our backline with one Addison/Callan. Ward played well today, but its apart of being a rookie.

Bulldog Revolution
08-06-2008, 10:38 PM
If Hudson was to miss Street has at least performed well against Brisbane in the past

I thought whilst Addison made a few mistakes there were still a lot of positives in his play and there is no way I would drop him

Mofra
08-06-2008, 11:47 PM
I'm terribly conflicted about Dylan's game -- he can't be faulted for his effort, but it's quite clear that his disposal, awareness (getting run down with acres of space around him when he received the ball) and decision making is nowhere close to the that required at this level.
I'm not going to blame DFA solely for the tackle, there was a player (Gia or Boyd?) next to him who should have made him aware of what was coming. He is an Eade favourite anyway for his attack on the ball, and if that trully is a non-negotiable this year (it appears to be) than he is more than likely to stay in.

As harsh as it sounds, it might be Ward or Everitt who make way for Murphy; Tiller laid some big tackles which might see him safe for another week.

bornadog
08-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Some on the radio mentioned that Addison should be dropped but whilst me made some errors his endeavour is first rate.

It's hard to imagine Ward being dropped and Tiller hasn't done too much wrong either so whoever makes way for Murphy will be very unlucky.

He did make some mistakes but 25 disposals will not be a reason to drop him.
Tiller did some ok things but only touched the ball nine times.

In. Murphy
Out Tiller. (unlucky)

Hudson was reported but I didn't see what happened. So if he is out then Street in.

Stevo
09-06-2008, 12:13 AM
Assuming there is no injuries then I would drop Everitt for Murphy. Brisbane aren't tall in the forward line so midfield options might be a premium against them.

I'd just about follow that logic as well. Ward, Tiller and Everitt would be the only players under the microscope and I think I would pick Everitt as well. All of them deserve to stay in but we know one of them has to go.

1eyedog
09-06-2008, 12:15 AM
It would be a travesty is Huddo was suspended for that and I cannot understate the impact it will make on centre clearances if he missed against Brisbane. Everitt should make way for Murph, he's clearly not ready and looked out of sorts.

hujsh
09-06-2008, 01:11 AM
It would be a travesty is Huddo was suspended for that and I cannot understate the impact it will make on centre clearances if he missed against Brisbane. Everitt should make way for Murph, he's clearly not ready and looked out of sorts.

Would prefer to have one of the 2 monsters (Huddo and Minno) against Charman.

The Pie Man
09-06-2008, 09:32 AM

Everett looked alright to me. I'm confident they'll keep him in the side. If it's like for like, Tiller is in trouble. Wouldn't be surprised if it is Ward though, as impressive as he was. Bob said at half time that Ward will play 200 games, would be a little weird to say to him 'but your second game won't be this week, I'm in'

They'd never drop Welsh would they? I wouldn't, just thowing it out there given the like for like possibility.

Mantis
09-06-2008, 09:38 AM
They'd never drop Welsh would they? I wouldn't, just thowing it out there given the like for like possibility.

Can't see this one happening, Welsh will always be a bit or miss, but his game last week against Hawthorn was the reason we recruited him.

If you were going like for like you would look at Johnson before Welsh (and i'm not saying we should)

The Pie Man
09-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Can't see this one happening, Welsh will always be a bit or miss, but his game last week against Hawthorn was the reason we recruited him.

If you were going like for like you would look at Johnson before Welsh (and i'm not saying we should)

Fair point - Johnson's starting to drift up the ground a lot more these days. At least it gives the forward set up more variety, we clearly don't rely on him as heavily as 07.

Williams as a forward was an interesting move too. Welsh was terrific last week, I'd play him every week.

LostDoggy
09-06-2008, 11:46 AM

Noticed Everitt's name come up frequently. Though I didn't see the game ( being a Brisbanite), I'm genuinely surprised at Everitt's apparent 'drop-off' this season, injury and all being taken into account. Some posts seem to have suggested a lack of interest or desire on his part. How good is he? Hard to fathom..... If its a psychological or motivational problem- isn't it better to reward someone like Tiller, or even Josh Hill for their efforts?

GVGjr
09-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Noticed Everitt's name come up frequently. Though I didn't see the game ( being a Brisbanite), I'm genuinely surprised at Everitt's apparent 'drop-off' this season, injury and all being taken into account. Some posts seem to have suggested a lack of interest or desire on his part. How good is he? Hard to fathom..... If its a psychological or motivational problem- isn't it better to reward someone like Tiller, or even Josh Hill for their efforts?

I am not aware of anyone questioning Everitt's ethic at all but he did get a knee injury which slowed his progress a fair bit. He looked OK yesterday though.

LostDoggy
09-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Everitt's chase on Montagna on the first saved us a goal against. I mentioned at the time to Rawtoast that Chris Grant looks faster this season.

I highlyt doubt he(Everitt) is a candidate to be dropped. Eade wouldn't promote him underdone then drop the next week.

dog town
09-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Tiller will be out I would say. Probably a bit stiff but he had a chance to step up in Murph's absence and 9 touches with 6 in the last isn't good enough. He was good in previous weeks so he is definetly stiff but I see no other alternative. Addison will certainly be needed around the packs against Brisbane and Everitt played better than Tilller. Ward would be stiff to miss after only 1 game.

The Pie Man
09-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Tiller will be out I would say. Probably a bit stiff but he had a chance to step up in Murph's absence and 9 touches with 6 in the last isn't good enough. He was good in previous weeks so he is definetly stiff but I see no other alternative. Addison will certainly be needed around the packs against Brisbane and Everitt played better than Tilller. Ward would be stiff to miss after only 1 game.

I think most of us agree Tiller is the most likely. Might be time for a spell at Willy - and maybe he can play full forward for em for a whole game so they can have a look at him there.

Footscray Bulldogs
09-06-2008, 06:50 PM

Agreed.

Everitt is more than likely going to be given time in the seniors to recapture form and fitness. Like me, I think Rocket likes Addisons attack at the ball and the player, and I thought he was pretty good on the weekend.

Post match Rocket seemed pretty keen to get some games into the aboriginal trio Harbrow, Hill & Stack [Stack & Hill in particular]. Interesting to see who gets a game when / if injuries hit.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Agreed.

Everitt is more than likely going to be given time in the seniors to recapture form and fitness. Like me, I think Rocket likes Addisons attack at the ball and the player, and I thought he was pretty good on the weekend.

Post match Rocket seemed pretty keen to get some games into the aboriginal trio Harbrow, Hill & Stack [Stack & Hill in particular]. Interesting to see who gets a game when / if injuries hit.

I like Addison and his improvement has been very pleasing, he's cut out a lot of his silly mistakes, but he reverted back to his old ways for a period in the game on Sunday. Once he makes one error, he seems to string a few together. Still needs to improve his awareness & decision making but he's improved.

Rocket's mentioned Stack a few times now, he's very keen at getting games into our future players this year. He's really throwing it onto the younger guys to take the club further, which is fantastic. Griff was predicted by many on here to play more off a half back, but he's been a main midfielder & Higgins was too for his first three games. Hill, Williams, Everitt, Ward & Harbrow have all featured too, along with Tiller & Addison.

Interesting thing is Harbrow seems to have slipped down the pecking order. He lacked fitness and thus form at the beginning, but his form for Willy has been consistently good so he's been pretty stiff to not crack another game.

It'll be intriguing to see how Eade continues to manage the side for the rest of the year, especially as the finals series creep closer. At this stage, we have quite a few unlucky players (Harbrow, Hill, Stack, Street & up until last week Ward/Everitt) coupled with injuries/suspension (West, Callan, Higgins, Murphy). It's probably the best I've ever seen our depth.

alwaysadog
10-06-2008, 06:39 AM
I am not aware of anyone questioning Everitt's ethic at all but he did get a knee injury which slowed his progress a fair bit. He looked OK yesterday though.

Agree, though when he was asked to play bigger roles in the preseason he appeared to struggle. I put that down to good coaching; making sure he knew there was still a long way to go.

What is more significant is that Eade has selected him after only a few not terribly great games for Willy, which suggests he has faith in him and thinks he should be in our best side.

Bulldog Revolution
10-06-2008, 09:23 AM
I like Addison and his improvement has been very pleasing, he's cut out a lot of his silly mistakes, but he reverted back to his old ways for a period in the game on Sunday. Once he makes one error, he seems to string a few together. Still needs to improve his awareness & decision making but he's improved.

Rocket's mentioned Stack a few times now, he's very keen at getting games into our future players this year. He's really throwing it onto the younger guys to take the club further, which is fantastic. Griff was predicted by many on here to play more off a half back, but he's been a main midfielder & Higgins was too for his first three games. Hill, Williams, Everitt, Ward & Harbrow have all featured too, along with Tiller & Addison.

Interesting thing is Harbrow seems to have slipped down the pecking order. He lacked fitness and thus form at the beginning, but his form for Willy has been consistently good so he's been pretty stiff to not crack another game.

It'll be intriguing to see how Eade continues to manage the side for the rest of the year, especially as the finals series creep closer. At this stage, we have quite a few unlucky players (Harbrow, Hill, Stack, Street & up until last week Ward/Everitt) coupled with injuries/suspension (West, Callan, Higgins, Murphy). It's probably the best I've ever seen our depth.

When Addison runs he seems opften to want to handball rather than kick, maybe its because he runs at times when he shouldn't or he doesn't lift his eyesight far enough

Stack is developing nicely, and has had a good season so far for Willy - everything about his game is improving. I have no doubt they would love to get him a game to reward him at some stage, but there is far more competition for spots in this 2008 side. Harbrow has had injury niggles and faces more compettition also with Aker, Welsh, Murphy, Hahn all fit and contributing in the forward line.

Tiller may have been quiet against the Saints but still had a team high 6 tackles

Is Bradshaw definitely out of the match?

Ozza
10-06-2008, 10:24 AM
I think Everitt coming back and being pretty good overall puts Tiller under the pump.

Aside from him - and although I'm an Eagleton fan. I thought he really struggled for the first 3 quarters, and may be under some pressure. Its probably more likely that a 'tall' will go - rather than a small.

Go_Dogs
10-06-2008, 10:53 AM
I think Everitt coming back and being pretty good overall puts Tiller under the pump.

Aside from him - and although I'm an Eagleton fan. I thought he really struggled for the first 3 quarters, and may be under some pressure. Its probably more likely that a 'tall' will go - rather than a small.

The stats suggest that he is about the most efficient ball carrier over long distances (combining run and carry, plus ability to hit a target with a long kick), however I too (also a big fan) have been a bit disappointed with his last few weeks. He has missed a few easy tackles, and continues to turn the ball over a bit too regularly for my liking. I think he's still safe for the time being, but he'd want to start putting some runs on the board sooner rather than later, especially with the amount of runners we have who could be looking at a game in the next few weeks.

Sockeye Salmon
10-06-2008, 11:50 AM
The stats suggest that he is about the most efficient ball carrier over long distances (combining run and carry, plus ability to hit a target with a long kick), however I too (also a big fan) have been a bit disappointed with his last few weeks. He has missed a few easy tackles, and continues to turn the ball over a bit too regularly for my liking. I think he's still safe for the time being, but he'd want to start putting some runs on the board sooner rather than later, especially with the amount of runners we have who could be looking at a game in the next few weeks.

Eagleton's ball use on Sunday was as good as it's been for a long time.

Go_Dogs
10-06-2008, 02:15 PM

A few nice long kicks in to space no doubt, but he seems to only be able to deliver this effectiveness with a lot of time and space, and on his left side, come finals there won't be time or space, and opposition players will work harder to keep him on his right. Some of his contested efforts I thought left a bit to be desired, and he missed some fairly easy tackles he should of stuck.

He's one of those guys whose best looks a million dollars, but his best and worst is a fair way apart and I personally haven't been over-enthused the last few weeks.

aker39
10-06-2008, 03:10 PM

The one thing I noticed on Sunday was that when Eagleton took a mark, St Kilda made sure he was not able to play on. The made him go back and take his kick. Not all the time, but it happened a lot.