PDA

View Full Version : After game wrap - All St.Kilda

The Coon Dog
08-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Gee I was annoyed on the way home from the game today. Listening to the radio, didn't matter whether it was MMM or 3AW, all they wanted to talk about was St.Kilda, how poor they are, how their midfield is slow, how innacurate Reiwoldt is, how injury prone Kozi is, how frustrating Milne is, who should be never be played again, which kids should be persevered with, how they turn the ball over, on & on it went.

If it wasn't all the commentators talking about St.Kilda, it was talk back callers wanting to bring back Grant Thomas, sack Ross Lyon, castigate Robert walls for being on the selection panel that chose Lyon, which players should be dropped, delisted or traded.

There were 2 teams that played today, WHAT ABOUT TALKING ABOUT THE TEAM THAT WON?

LostDoggy
08-06-2008, 07:58 PM
It was always going to be that way we had a good week in the papers so they had to even it up. But after the year we had last year you can understand that we didn't get too much attention at the start but the season is all but half done and we are 2 points off top spot with only 1 loss and a draw and 9 wins if that can't get you kudos I don't know what will.

LostDoggy
08-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Haha this year, its always been about the teams we thump, we get a mention here and there but even all the talkback is from the losing fans, u gotta let them winge though :D

We are 3rd, with 1 loss and have beaten the top team in the competition. No Biggie to anyone else ;)

Rach
08-06-2008, 08:25 PM
I noticed that too on the internet streaming of MMM. We must be invisible or something :rolleyes:

western cookie
08-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Dont worry TCD although i love hearing about how well we are going its nice to fly under the radar. one thing for sure, no opposition will take us as lightly as the media will.

Topdog
08-06-2008, 08:44 PM
I thought it was deserved this week. They were getting pounded 2 weeks ago and all week this game was being hyped as a game to see where the Saints are at.

We found out where they are at.

LostDoggy
08-06-2008, 09:22 PM
The only way that we are going to get any credit this year, is if we perform well in the finals.

alwaysadog
08-06-2008, 11:16 PM
I think even the journos are fed up with the endless repetition of the usual bs they trot out about us. Someone has to give them a new line to get interested in cos they aren't going to do it on their own.

Eade tried it with the youth policy line today. We'll have to see if it sparks any interest.

I don't get the club media releases any longer so I can't tell if our PR team is fedding the chooks as a former Qld Premier of ill repute used to say.

Does anyone know if the new personel are as pro active with as the former ones were?

Sockeye Salmon
09-06-2008, 01:28 AM
One aspect of footy that is under-rated is when you play another team.

I think St.Kilda were feeling pretty good about themselves after handing out a thrashing to Melbourne the week before. I don't think they realised just how bad Melbourne are.

hujsh
09-06-2008, 01:32 AM
Well, last Monday i was home and listening to SEN and Mark Doran had to ask for Dogs supporters to ring up and talk about how we beat the Hawks.

There's few supporter bases where you'd have to ask them to crow about knocking off the ladder leaders.

That may be why they talk about the opposition

FrediKanoute
09-06-2008, 01:49 AM
I didn't listent to the post game wrap (obviously), but to me it hardly matters whether journo's are pumping us up or not. If we keep winning and continue to knock off sides that journo's pump up it only makes them look silly.

We blooded a kid today (who I can't wait to see play), we continued to blood Willo, Everitt and Tiller and a boom recruit called Aka kicked 6. Personally I'd much prefer to read about it all hear than listen to the guff assessments of the so called experts....

LostDoggy
09-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Just been thinking about this season a bit, and comparing it to Geelong's last year and Essendon in 2000, our current record after 11 rounds reads as good or better than theirs did in their respective seasons, but the funny thing is that there are THREE teams this year having bumper years of sorts (although I still think the Hawks are going to fall off the pace badly in the second half of the season), so we can fly under the radar even with an incredible record like ours. If this was any other season with only one team doing what we're doing then people will start talking up 'best season ever?', 'greatest home-and-away team ever?' etc etc crap like that. It's just a weird season with three teams going nearly unbeaten at the halfway mark. I think even Dogs supporters are a bit wary despite our great start because we have not been at the top of the table yet... if this was a normal season where we would be on top of the table two/three games ahead of the pack, we (and others in the media) would have rated our wins over Sydney and Hawthorn far higher.

In a way, we haven't had to 'keep a lid on it' because the table is doing it for us. The Cats are ripe for a Dog mauling very soon.

The Pie Man
09-06-2008, 12:22 PM
In a way, we haven't had to 'keep a lid on it' because the table is doing it for us. The Cats are ripe for a Dog mauling very soon.

Very true - it's a freaky year. I'm super confident we'll keep a top 4 spot, though Sydney are only two wins behind us and with a better %. Adelaide & Collingwood aren't far behind either - it all points to a league pretty much split in 2, I'll be surprised to see any bottom 8 side beat a top 8 side for the rest of the year.

The 'flying under the radar' thing suits us as well. I'd hate to see an 07 fade out because they started believing in any hype.

And St Kilda, they are a train wreck, and bad news always sells more. Was the same when we beat Freo, it was all about them choking.

1eyedog
09-06-2008, 01:45 PM
We have kicked 15.16.106 two weeks running! That's pretty weird.

Mofra
09-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Very true - it's a freaky year. I'm super confident we'll keep a top 4 spot, though Sydney are only two wins behind us and with a better %. Adelaide & Collingwood aren't far behind either - it all points to a league pretty much split in 2, I'll be surprised to see any bottom 8 side beat a top 8 side for the rest of the year.

Adelaide have had the easiest draw fo all top 8 sides this year, I'd expect Sydney to take 4th spot off them in the coming weeks. With games aganist Lions, Collingwood and Geelong coming up, we will have to maintain the rage in coming weeks as well.

hujsh
09-06-2008, 04:07 PM
There's so many great seasons because there's so many crap seasons.

WCE
Freo
Melb
Richmond
Essendon

all have only 2 wins (Richmond with a draw obviously)

The Pie Man
09-06-2008, 06:25 PM
There's so many great seasons because there's so many crap seasons.

WCE
Freo
Melb
Richmond
Essendon

all have only 2 wins (Richmond with a draw obviously)

Richmond have three wins, but the point is the split in the league. I can't remember there being a 5 team battle for the wooden spoon, or a team on 9 1/2 wins after 11 rounds not having a top 4 spot sewn up.

Adelaide are in for a tough month - Hawks at home, Brisvegas away (after they lose to us) Geelong at home, Collingwood away and the Showdown. Some cracking matchups, no way they'll win all 5.

Sydney on the other hand have things much easier, St Kilda & Melbourne next 2 weeks, Collingwood in west Sydney and Hawthorn in Melbourne - those two games are massive. Our win in Sydney earlier on may prove very important come season end.

Sockeye Salmon
09-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Richmond have three wins, but the point is the split in the league. I can't remember there being a 5 team battle for the wooden spoon, or a team on 9 1/2 wins after 11 rounds not having a top 4 spot sewn up.

Adelaide are in for a tough month - Hawks at home, Brisvegas away (after they lose to us) Geelong at home, Collingwood away and the Showdown. Some cracking matchups, no way they'll win all 5.

Sydney on the other hand have things much easier, St Kilda & Melbourne next 2 weeks, Collingwood in west Sydney and Hawthorn in Melbourne - those two games are massive. Our win in Sydney earlier on may prove very important come season end.

They could lose all 5.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-06-2008, 08:15 PM
They could lose all 5.

I wouldn't be surprised.

Adelaide have been lucky to still be winning in the last three or so games, managed to string together a quarter or two of football, but they've looked pretty edgey at times and are lucky they've only played Essendon & Richmond in the past two weeks.

I'm not sold on Collingwood either; they haven't beaten any quality sides aside from a one off horrible Geelong. They caught them at the right time, and whilst they played well, there's no way Geelong would lose to them again. They somehow lost to Brisbane & were spanked by Hawthorn. Melbourne pushed them all the way today too. Against sides with a good midfield & forward setup, Collingwood will struggle. They rely heavily on Thomas/Pendlebury/Didak.

IMHO it's a four horse race - Hawks, Cats, Dogs & Swans. When Hall returns to Sydney, it's going to give them a big boost.

The Pie Man
10-06-2008, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't be surprised.

Adelaide have been lucky to still be winning in the last three or so games, managed to string together a quarter or two of football, but they've looked pretty edgey at times and are lucky they've only played Essendon & Richmond in the past two weeks.

I'm not sold on Collingwood either; they haven't beaten any quality sides aside from a one off horrible Geelong. They caught them at the right time, and whilst they played well, there's no way Geelong would lose to them again. They somehow lost to Brisbane & were spanked by Hawthorn. Melbourne pushed them all the way today too. Against sides with a good midfield & forward setup, Collingwood will struggle. They rely heavily on Thomas/Pendlebury/Didak.

IMHO it's a four horse race - Hawks, Cats, Dogs & Swans. When Hall returns to Sydney, it's going to give them a big boost.

While I think we'll win on Saturday, I'm prepared to add Brisbane to this list. Agree on all other points.

LostDoggy
10-06-2008, 09:37 PM
And take the Hawks out. I honestly maintain that they will not be a threat come September. Not this September in any case. Brisbane and Sydney will be far more dangerous than Hawthorn.