PDA

View Full Version : West to be On the Couch

LostDoggy
09-06-2008, 09:34 PM
West will be on the couch Fox Sports 3 Shortly. . .

wimberga
09-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Look forward to a report from someone with Foxtel

Rocket Science
09-06-2008, 10:51 PM
dud interview, mostly on the part of the interviewers...

Sheehan and Walls basically dwelled for 10 minutes repeatedly and rather negatively questioning West or opining about his future, with Walls suggesting he wouldn't give West a new contract for next year, as well as insightful Dorothy Dixers from Mike such as "So, will breaking Chris Grant's club games record figure heavily as part of your motivation to play on next year?" Of course West's future deserves exploring, but they flogged it like a dead horse.

Aside from Westy's brief take on some differences at the club this year which may help account for our turn-around from last season, (an honest operations review, altered training regime, Rocket's ability to focus more on pure coaching, which has improved his relationship with the playing group), and quick pump-up for Tom Williams, it was pretty lacklustre.

hujsh
09-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Main points were probably

has to just let the injury heal, can't do anything more. Willing to play at Willy

said he wouldn't offer himself a contract ATM. Depends on his recovery

Scorlibo
09-06-2008, 11:40 PM
The not offering a new contract thing is ridiculous IMO. Scotty has been, and still is, an amazing player and legend of the footy club, and I think that some people such as Walls have forgotten how good he is. He averaged the equal most disposals in the AFL last year for Christ's sake! He still sets the standard with his contested ball winning and makes a big difference when in the side.

hujsh
09-06-2008, 11:50 PM
Could he really be a forward?

The idea that he kicked 6 blows my mind

Scorlibo
09-06-2008, 11:57 PM
Could he really be a forward?

The idea that he kicked 6 blows my mind

Pretty sure it was in his first season wasn't it? Completely changed footballer since then but he is a very good reader of the footy around the packs - could possibly convert up forward. He is still an elite midfielder though.

The Pie Man
10-06-2008, 12:01 AM
dud interview, mostly on the part of the interviewers...

Sheehan and Walls basically dwelled for 10 minutes repeatedly and rather negatively questioning West or opining about his future, with Walls suggesting he wouldn't give West a new contract for next year, as well as insightful Dorothy Dixers from Mike such as "So, will breaking Chris Grant's club games record figure heavily as part of your motivation to play on next year?" Of course West's future deserves exploring, but they flogged it like a dead horse.

Aside from Westy's brief take on some differences at the club this year which may help account for our turn-around from last season, (an honest operations review, altered training regime, Rocket's ability to focus more on pure coaching, which has improved his relationship with the playing group), and quick pump-up for Tom Williams, it was pretty lacklustre.

Thought the same thing, pathetic questioning really. Healy asking Walls the question and his meandering response (...'well....sentiment shouldn't come into it....' ) was almost cringe tv. Got the feeling the Grant games record question was a reference to his negative reaction to the brownlow loss, which if so is irrelevant garbage. Scott should have said 'what matters to me Mike is winning a flag, that's what I continue to play AFL for'

It really bugged me.

hujsh
10-06-2008, 12:09 AM
Did anyone notice in that footage of Williams how he was about 5 meters infront of his man whenever he got the ball.

Must be quick to outrun guys like Gwilt that much

Mantis
10-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Pretty sure it was in his first season wasn't it? Completely changed footballer since then but he is a very good reader of the footy around the packs - could possibly convert up forward. He is still an elite midfielder though.

Wouldn't have thought so.

A bit slow, not a great mark and not a reliable kick especially over 40m.

Westy is a pure midfielder.

LostDoggy
10-06-2008, 09:08 AM
People forget that when West started he was a goal kicker. Not saying he could do it now but I think he knows where the goals are and could snag a couple.

Go_Dogs
10-06-2008, 09:56 AM
People forget that when West started he was a goal kicker. Not saying he could do it now but I think he knows where the goals are and could snag a couple.

Didn't he kick a bag on debut?

Sockeye Salmon
10-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Didn't he kick a bag on debut?

His 4th game. R5, 1993.
20 touches, 6 goals and 3 Brownlow votes.

When he started he was so small it was like a little kid was playing. His first game was a shocker, barely got a touch. A mate of mine at the time was right into him - too small, won't go in, no chance of playing 20 games.

We still give him heaps about that.

The week after kicking 6 was the week West Coast (John Worsfold) got into him. Yet Worsfolod had a sook when we got into Gardiner and Cousins (FFS, all Liber did was call him names).

Big Bad Dog
10-06-2008, 06:23 PM

Reckon you are right Ernie.
But I reckon i have found the replacement for Westy when the great man does retire.He is running around with Willy this year : Smart left footer,similar height,little quicker,
Ball magnet who loves a goal and his on our list......Guy O'Keefe!
Already racking up possies & goals in his first year.
Lets hope he is half as good as Westy & we will be laughing, could be the steal of the draft
at pick 63.

Dancin' Douggy
10-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Thought the same thing, pathetic questioning really. Healy asking Walls the question and his meandering response (...'well....sentiment shouldn't come into it....' ) was almost cringe tv. Got the feeling the Grant games record question was a reference to his negative reaction to the brownlow loss, which if so is irrelevant garbage. Scott should have said 'what matters to me Mike is winning a flag, that's what I continue to play AFL for'

It really bugged me.

I thought it was downright rude of Walls. Notice he hardly looked at Westy the whole time he was on?

Big Bad Dog
10-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Look forward to a report from someone with Foxtel

For those that missed On The Couch last night it on Fox 1 at 6.30pm tonight.

The Pie Man
10-06-2008, 07:24 PM
I thought it was downright rude of Walls. Notice he hardly looked at Westy the whole time he was on?

Was painfully obvious they'd done no research and appeared seriously disinterested in the whole segment. Simplistic questions such as 'why the change from last year?' give you nothing. I normally like the show, but that just p..sed me off. I remember when Jimmy Clement was on last year, twas a quality interview (and that may have more to do with the guest)

Was very strange last night.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-06-2008, 07:31 PM
I too was disappointed in the continued line of questioning about Westy's future.
Fair enough it needed to be discussed, But it seemed as if that was their sole reason for having him on.
Kudo's to Scott for giving them straight answers, but as he said he only need to prove he can play to himself, and the coaching staff, intimating in a respectful way that Mike, Throbbie Walls, Gerard's thoughts are of no consequence in his decision to either play on or retire at the end of the year.
I look forward to Scott getting back on the field and making all the knockers waiting to call an end to his career eat their words.

Also as an aside, with each time I hear Westy speak I increasingly am becoming convinced that a coaching career beckons down the track.