PDA

View Full Version : Round 12, 2008 Opposition Player Focus : Jonathan Brown

The Pie Man
10-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks to Twodogs for the invite, hoping this comes somewhere near the high standard already set by previous efforts.

Jonathan Brown

Number : 16
Height : 195
Weight : 102
DOB : 29/10/81

Excerpts from his bio pre 2007 on www.lions.com.au

If anyone ever needed proof of why Jonathan Brown shapes as one of the AFL's most dominant forces of the next decade, they need only have watched his Round 6 display against Essendon. To say Brown tore Essendon to shreds is to understate matters. The 195cm, 99kg powerhouse helped himself to 20 possessions, 14 marks and a then equal club record eight goals, before been rested for most of the last quarter. Brown was a triple-premiership player before his 22nd birthday –quite an accomplishment for the likeable big fella from western Victoria. One of the AFL’s most dominant forces, the Lions need him fit to resurrect their finals ambitions.

Awards :

Victorian Country Primary Schools Representative 1993
Menber Geelong Falcons TAC Cup Grand Final Side 1998
8th Falcons B&F 1998, 3rd 1999
Victorian Country U18s 1999
All-Australian U18s 1999
Member Lions’ Ansett Cup Grand Final Side 2001
Lions Most Improved Player 2001
6th Lions B&F 2001
Lions Premiership Player 2001-2002-2003.
AFL Mark of the year 2002
Lions Most Professional Player 2005
Lions best Clubman 2005
Lions B&F 2007
AFLPA Best Captain & Most Courageous Player 2007
Lions Best Forward 2007
Lions Most Courageous Player 2007
The Courier Mail Player of The Year 2007

rhnbtlr's profile :

Who else could be the focus for the Bulldogs this week other than Brisbane's inspirational leader Jonathan Brown? The once injury prone forward has put together his longest streak of continual football in years, and he & Daniel Bradshaw have been the catalyst for the Lions revival this year. Bradshaw's return from a serious knee injury has been nothing short of remarkable, though with his spot in the side doubtful due to a hamstring injury, the focus on Brown will be all the more intense.

Brown himself had an injury scare against North Melbourne a fortnight ago, though his knee held up well as he collected 3 goals against Fremantle at the weekend, and remains in terrific form. His likely opponent will be Brian Lake, who matches all of Brown's physical attributes (according to his profile, he's actually a touch heavier) and despite his own knee scare against St Kilda, returned to the best players list with an assured display. Should he prove his fitness from a bruised knee (which appears likely) Lake has had some success on Brown previously, with the Dogs winning their past 4 games against Brisbane.

Brown poses one of the more unique challenges in the league, being nearly unstoppable one on one, but also with the engine to lead up the ground, even pitch hitting in the midfield when required. I'm confident Lake has the speed and strength needed to contain Brown, though Tom Williams is another option should Brown start to dominate up the ground. The coaching staff maybe content to allow Brown all the touches he likes away from the forward 50, safe in the knowledge that with Bradshaw in the stands, they lack a target for Brown to release to. Should Brown stay closer to goal as I suspect, Andrejs Everett could also play a role drifting in front of the contest. He is excellent overhead, and such a task will be an important step in his comeback from injury as he attempts to regain his 07 form.

While Brown can at times be scratchy in front of goal, give he and the Lions enough opportunities and they won't be as wasteful as the Saints were last week. Should he cut loose, the Lions will be well on their way to inflicting the Dogs second loss of the season. The Lake/Brown matchup is a juicy contest within a contest, this game posing as a crucial marker of where both clubs are at. Reiwoldt & St Kilda failed that test last week, Brown & the Lions should prove more formidable opponents.

Can't wait for a rare Saturday at the G, this will be a humdinger of a game.

Twodogs
10-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Great effort rhnbtlr.

It'll be interesting to see how we set up down back this week. Will Lake or Williams go to Brown? Do one of them do a purely defensive job on Bradshaw? Will we just try and run the ball away from the opposition forwards the way we have the last few weeks?

I'm really looking forward to this week.

Height : 195

Brown 'only' being 195 cm. suprises me. He looks an inch or so taller.

The Pie Man
10-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Great effort rhnbtlr.

It'll be interesting to see how we set up down back this week. Will Lake or Williams go to Brown? Do one of them do a purely defensive job on Bradshaw? Will we just try and run the ball away from the opposition forwards the way we have the last few weeks?

Lake being 104 kgs compared to Brown's 102 was a bit of a surprise as well. Not 100% on that

Sockeye Salmon
10-06-2008, 06:09 PM
If Bradshaw doesn't come up they would have to go with Clark or Henderson you would think. A good opportunity for Williams to do some damage going the other way.

Morris might have to play on a small this week. No matter.

Twodogs
10-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Lake being 104 kgs compared to Brown's 102 was a bit of a surprise as well. Not 100% on that

The figures are probably correct* but perceptions are a funny thing. Sometimes you get ideas in your head and when you're presented with the facts they suprise.

*I didnt believe the list I saw that said that Farren Ray was the third heaviest player in one of the teams we put onto the field last year-I refuse too!

Twodogs
10-06-2008, 06:12 PM
If Bradshaw doesn't come up they would have to go with Clark or Henderson you would think. A good opportunity for Williams to do some damage going the other way.

Morris might have to play on a small this week. No matter.

Who though? I cant find a match up for him-maybe Luke Power?

LostDoggy
10-06-2008, 06:13 PM
*I didnt believe the list I saw that said that Farren Ray was the third heaviest player in one of the teams we put onto the field last year-I refuse too!

Must have a heavy head.

hujsh
10-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Must have a heavy head.

Probably several kilos of gel in it when he was weighed.

The Pie Man
10-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Probably several kilos of gel in it when he was weighed.

The spotty hair dye from 06 probably adds a few kgs.

Or was it..... the weight of expectation............drum roll please, thankyou very much *

*I take no responsibility for unfunny puns

bornadog
10-06-2008, 07:59 PM

Correct

Great player focus rhnbtlr, he sure is the one to beat in the backline. We have to once more ensure we cut off his supply and this means beating their midfield.

Brown and Lake are about the same size and weight, but JB looks stronger for some reason and can take a good contested mark as well as kick long goals, so expect him to play up the field a bit. This may mean Lake could be dragged up the field, or Tommy goes with him.

hujsh
10-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Why not let Tommy go with Brown to learn and hopefully do well while Lake can take a lesser light and provide his 3rd man up marking skills when the opportunity arises.

The Pie Man
10-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Why not let Tommy go with Brown to learn and hopefully do well while Lake can take a lesser light and provide his 3rd man up marking skills when the opportunity arises.

If Brown ventures up the ground, there's every chance Tommy will run with him (and potentially run off him) though if Bradshaw does miss, Barney will likely tell Brown to park it in the 50. I like Lake as the 3rd man up as well though, he judges it very nicely.

Mitch Clark is a possible match up for Williams as well - he's a big unit.

Mofra
10-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Mitch Clark is a possible match up for Williams as well - he's a big unit.
That would be a great contest, expecting Clark to go forward if Bradshaw doesn't play, although Henderson might get another crack as a big (albeit young) forward who knows how to lead.

1eyedog
10-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Great effort rhnbtlr.

Only 195cm? That is a massive unit!

Twodogs
10-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Only 195cm? That is a massive unit!

It's 195 cms that would help us materially in our efforts this year.

1eyedog
10-06-2008, 10:22 PM
It's 195 cms that would help us materially in our efforts this year.

damn straight it would:)

Sockeye Salmon
11-06-2008, 10:32 AM

There was a typo with Ray's weight for a couple of years.

Last year he was listed at 87kg. This year he's listed as 84kg and he admits to have put on plenty over the pre-season (reported as 7kg but I think TCD spoke with him pre-season and he said it was more like 4kg).

lion in the midst
12-06-2008, 10:56 AM
That would be a great contest, expecting Clark to go forward if Bradshaw doesn't play, although Henderson might get another crack as a big (albeit young) forward who knows how to lead.

:eek: coming from a lion supporter I hope Mitch stays out of the forward line, a great new asset to the team but there aren't too many worse kicks for goal.

Mofra
12-06-2008, 02:12 PM
:eek: coming from a lion supporter I hope Mitch stays out of the forward line, a great new asset to the team but there aren't too many worse kicks for goal.
Nick Riewoldt? Sorry couldn't resist.

He could play more of a CHF/lead up role which would free Brown to stay closer to goals - I'd be a little worried as that would mean our defensive unit couldn't afford any lapses in concentration. Brown's ability to read the ball coming into the forwardline is often underrated; for all the praise of his strength & bulk, he does play the leading forward target just as well as the stationary "man mountain".

lion in the midst
12-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Unfortunately very similar, except Mitch's technique is probably worse. Something he'll have to work very hard to improve over the next couple of seasons.

He's been great the last few weeks. Originally given a game to give Leuenberger a weeks rest but he played so well he held his spot and Leuie couldn't get back in until last week. He's been great as the spare man in defence when needed.

Its hard to fault Brown and I'm not going to try. He normally gets more dominant the further through the game, runs his opponents into the ground, he covers so much territory.

hujsh
12-06-2008, 04:19 PM
I remember seeing M.Clark on the 5th quarter highlights kicking 5 goals and about 3-4 were helicopters