PDA

View Full Version : Call to Arms

Footscray Bulldogs
11-06-2008, 12:02 AM
I've noticed that we have more than our fair share of introverted types; you know the supporters who rarely, if ever say anything or show any emotion at the footy. To be frank, I'm sick of this. I for one, am very vocal at matches and often am on the receiving end of odd looks from fellow Dogs supporters when I unleash a tirade on an opposition player or umpire.

I am pleading for a behavioral change from us Bulldog supporters. I want us to be envied for our passion, and unwavering support despite the fact that we are outnumbered in the stands most weeks.

This change must start this week at the spiritual home of footy against an interstate club, whom are going to be a huge challenge for us.

I'm pleading to all those who attend this weeks game Vs the Lions (should crack 40,000 IMO) to make a concerted effort to be vocal; support the boys, boo Brown, Cooooooooooooooooooooooon our maestro and let rip with a celebratory roar as soon as the footy looks like it's sailing through the big sticks. Let's make the G' an intimidating place for the Lions players and fans to be.

Who's with me?

PS: We should be aiming to crack 40,000 this week. If we don't, it would be a major disappointment. The side has been playing exceptional footy, its about time we turned up in droves to support our beloved dogs.

LostDoggy
11-06-2008, 12:10 AM
I'm pretty pumped up at games. Don't ever like swearing (and am glad that for the most part I've never heard swearing in my area) but standing fist-pumps, feral cheering and thinking up clever insults for umps and soft opposition players are my forte, and the kids in front of me tend to look amusedly over their shoulder at this guy who should really know better.

If I were any more passionate I'd lose my voice.

ps. There's a lady who is pretty intense two rows in front of me -- she tends to turn around and scream at us to 'cheer you idiots!' when we are down.
--

Regarding introverted types, I have a theory that melancholic intellectuals are drawn to underachieving, down on their luck working class type teams, and we tend to be a bookish, withdrawn sort, smouldering rather than spluttering. If I had a dollar for every left-leaning academic or politician I know who are closet Doggie supporters, I would have well over forty dollars.

LostDoggy
11-06-2008, 12:26 AM
Regarding introverted types, I have a theory that melancholic intellectuals are drawn to underachieving, down on their luck working class type teams, and we tend to be a bookish, withdrawn sort, smouldering rather than spluttering. If I had a dollar for every left-leaning academic or politician I know who are closet Doggie supporters, I would have well over forty dollars.

Get out of my brain.

mjp
11-06-2008, 01:15 AM
I've noticed that we have more than our fair share of introverted types; you know the supporters who rarely, if ever say anything or show any emotion at the footy. To be frank, I'm sick of this. I for one, am very vocal at matches and often am on the receiving end of odd looks from fellow Dogs supporters when I unleash a tirade on an opposition player or umpire.

Not me.

Cheer as loud as you like...anyone who goes to the footy with their kids knows that 'unleashing a tirade' is the last kind of example you want to be setting. Sorry.

LostDoggy
11-06-2008, 01:30 AM
For me it is very rare to be able to speak after any game that I go to a game. I think that when there is a large group of supportrs all making alot of noise it makes for a great atmosphere. The last thing that I want to see and hear is silence when our team is going well, but the important thing is not to go overboard and start to turn feral. The more passionate the suporters, the better the game.

Hopefully as the season goes on our supporters will come out in force.

The Pie Man
11-06-2008, 07:38 AM

It's funny cos it's true....Julia Gillard would be a perfect progessive example. Wil Anderson another.

I can relate to 'Footscray Bulldogs' point, I remember Adelaide fans were louder than us in the 97 prelim...they did have a wet sail. I'm happy 'Coooon' gets a run at games, we need more of that kind of gear.

And 40,000 on Saturday is achievable, though plenty of old Fitzroy fans would want to turn up as well. They've got to wear that hideous white clash jumper against us, uggggh

Sockeye Salmon
11-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Adelaide round 1: "Daddy, stop yelling! You're making my ears hurt!"

SonofScray
11-06-2008, 11:30 AM
For mine it all started to die off around 2000. We all stuck our heads out and went berserk in '97 only to get the biggest kick to the mid section you could imagine, the steady decline since then hasn't done our confidence any favours and its only recently that I've noticed the blood pumping amongst some of those around me these days.

I can't help myself at the footy, usually go home hoarse but tend to have plenty of laughs and moment of fury along the way. If you don't go home exhausted you didn't get your moneys worth! For whatever reason Telstra Dome seems to make it more difficult to get that vibrant community feel about your area where you sit, its been a while since I've heard most the fans belting out a "Footscray clap clap clap" etc in unison but what a moment for the club when we all find our voices after a bit of an absence. Sends tingles down the spine, not unlike a Cooney goal from 50m or a Brian Harris mark down back.

LostDoggy
11-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Im completely different at the footy, get me away from the footy and ill hardley say boo, see mea t the footy and i pretty much dont shut up.

I really really really want to hear more noise at the footy, lets make it happen this week, and lets make even more noise for Aker.

craigsahibee
11-06-2008, 11:47 AM
I am as passionate as the next supporter but I found I have had to tone it down a little. I have this uncanny knack of paying out on an opposition player only to have them bite me on the butt late in the match, so I am toning it down for all our benefit. Having said that I could not help but get stuck in to Kosi again last weekend.

wimberga
11-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Agree with this. I like to get pretty vocal at the game, but never unleash a tirade on an official or player. I cheer and Support the dogs as much as the next fella though.

Often feel as though im the only one still doing the COOOOOOOOOOOOOOONey thingo which is dissapointing, specially because of the year he, the club and us, the fans, are having. Cheering for our players and celebrating goals and marks and the such is good, but the true value of vocal crowd support comes at a time when the dogs are down if you ask me. When we are down by a couple of goals and are playing against the run of play, thats the time to cheer and get the team up.

Bulldog4life
11-06-2008, 12:25 PM
My wife's favourite time is singing the song at the end. Feels great as we belt out our great theme song although I notice that unfortunately a lot of supporters don't join in which is a pity.

westdog54
11-06-2008, 02:31 PM

My mother is actually partially deaf in her left ear, so if she's ever at the footy nowadays she has to make sure my dad is sitting on her left.

She actually swapped seats a quarter time a couple of years ago.

The Pie Man
11-06-2008, 04:17 PM
I am as passionate as the next supporter but I found I have had to tone it down a little. I have this uncanny knack of paying out on an opposition player only to have them bite me on the butt late in the match, so I am toning it down for all our benefit. Having said that I could not help but get stuck in to Kosi again last weekend.

The footballing gods - I understand.

You know how we get the replacement 'double home' games? I was at one a few years ago against Melbourne, and Kingsley Hunter was playing one of his rare games up forward, and he takes a mark on 50 at the Punt Rd end with an unguarded goal square. I had a thing about Kingsley (as I did about Trent Bartlett & more recently Sam Power...and even more recently Cam Wight) and I know you're not sposed to pay out on your own, but there's always one a year for me. He's dithering about, and I've let fly 'kick it you sp.stic' Not my greatest moment for sure, but no swearing. 50 South Yarra eyes converge on me, aghast I'd use such language. I felt so uncomfortable I had to move at quarter time (f$#% Melbourne suppoters..go dees indeed)

Went back to standing room, where that kind of thing is pretty tame. I met my brother after that game (he somehow got into the MCC for the day) and told him the story, his response...'yeah, but he is a sp..stic'

LostDoggy
12-06-2008, 05:28 PM
I never shut up at the footy. I yell my head off and always come home exhausted and with no voice. No matter how we play the game I'm always loud and encouraging. I love it when the supporters get behind our boys. I don't know how people can sit there and not say anything.

The Coon Dog
12-06-2008, 05:34 PM
I never shut up.
Edited for accuracy. :D

Twodogs
12-06-2008, 05:36 PM

Was that the game where the kids disappeared on us halfway through the third quarter?

Sockeye Salmon
12-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Was that the game where the kids disappeared on us halfway through the third quarter?

Yep. Daniel took off after Lucy and didn't realise she and turned around and come back, he kept on going.

Twodogs
12-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Yep. Daniel took off after Lucy and didn't realise she and turned around and come back, he kept on going.

Gor' bless 'em.

Lucy is very good at picking the players these days but she still thinks Aker is Hacker from Atomic Betty.

Sockeye Salmon
12-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Gor' bless 'em.

Lucy is very good at picking the players these days but she still thinks Aker is Hacker from Atomic Betty.

Daniel isn't even certain he likes the Bulldogs. Depends on whether Dad is giving him the shits or not.

I was singing the song in the car the other day and when I stopped he kept going, that was a first.

Twodogs
12-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Daniel isn't even certain he likes the Bulldogs. Depends on whether Dad is giving him the shits or not.

I was singing the song in the car the other day and when I stopped he kept going, that was a first.

Harvey insisted we sing the theme song every night before bed from the age of two for about thre years. From the time he could talk he could recite the entire senior list by number.

Hasnt been to a game for a couple of years now.

hujsh
12-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Harvey insisted we sing the theme song every night before bed from the age of two for about thre years. From the time he could talk he could recite the entire senior list by number.

Hasnt been to a game for a couple of years now.

That's a shame, did he loose interest?

Twodogs
12-06-2008, 10:14 PM
That's a shame, did he loose interest?

It's a phase. ATM he's pretty keen on cricket and anything that involves a lot of fighting but he still wants to know scores and who won. He always loved Aker even when he was at Brisbane.

LostDoggy
12-06-2008, 10:22 PM
us western suburbs types don't let the odd"f" word bother us too much, so long as it's directed at the umps or the opposition who cares f'n cares!!

Bulldog4life
13-06-2008, 12:32 AM
us western suburbs types don't let the odd"f" word bother us too much, so long as it's directed at the umps or the opposition who cares f'n cares!!

Can't agree there.......glad I don't sit next to you.