PDA

View Full Version : Scott Lucas

lion in the midst
12-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Would any of you consider Scott Lucas to be drafted? Do you think he would add or take away the potency of the teams attack at present? He only wants a two year deal.

The Coon Dog
12-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Would any of you consider Scott Lucas to be drafted? Do you think he would add or take away the potency of the teams attack at present? He only wants a two year deal.

Firstly you have to deal with Essendon (just remember how they played the Mal Michael one), who would want nothing less than a first round draft pick (sorry, Bombers, not worth it & we'll probably be compelled to use it on Ayce Cordy) for a bloke that's past his best.

He'd be handy for a side like ours, but at what cost?

a) What would we have to give up to get him?

b) What effect would he have on the salary cap?

The only way I could see us getting him is if he did what Aker & Huddo did, siad, 'I want to go to the Bulldogs', even then Essendon would look to play hardball.

craigsahibee
12-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Firstly you have to deal with Essendon (just remember how they played the Mal Michael one), who would want nothing less than a first round draft pick (sorry, Bombers, not worth it & we'll probably be compelled to use it on Ayce Cordy) for a bloke that's past his best.

He'd be handy for a side like ours, but at what cost?

a) What would we have to give up to get him?

b) What effect would he have on the salary cap?

The only way I could see us getting him is if he did what Aker & Huddo did, siad, 'I want to go to the Bulldogs', even then Essendon would look to play hardball.

The Bombres are renowned as extremely difficult to deal with at trade time, but now that Sheeds has gone that may change. Lucas might be a handy addition at Point Gellibrand Oval, but he may struggle to break in to our side.

1eyedog
12-06-2008, 03:17 PM

He would certainly add to the potency of any side he joined, although he is getting on a bit now and as TCD said in terms of draft priorities we have an Ayce up our sleeve. With the drafting of Welsh and with Murphy in white hot form I don't see the cost benefit to return for our club. Murphy is our lead up and Will Minson, Welsh and Hahn our big bodies creating contests deep inside F50. I personally don't see a spot for him, even though he is very good player.

Twodogs
12-06-2008, 04:42 PM
He'd be worth getting just so he didnt kick 8 goals against us. I'm pretty sure that's one of the reasons we got Scott Welsh.

I dont think there's too much wrong with our forward line and I'd be hesitant to give up too much in order to fix any percieved weakness. We've got players on our list already who will be playing that role by this time next year. Grant and O' Shea are both big marking, long kicking forward line players who will be competing for the same spot. Murphy and Hahn have the lead up role covered between them. I honestly dont see a spot for Lucas.

If you had Travis Cloke to offer my answer would be different. Not much would be off the table for him-he will be THE player in the AFL inside 5 years.

1eyedog
12-06-2008, 05:26 PM
He'd be worth getting just so he didnt kick 8 goals against us. I'm pretty sure that's one of the reasons we got Scott Welsh.

I dont think there's too much wrong with our forward line and I'd be hesitant to give up too much in order to fix any percieved weakness. We've got players on our list already who will be playing that role by this time next year. Grant and O' Shea are both big marking, long kicking forward line players who will be competing for the same spot. Murphy and Hahn have the lead up role covered between them. I honestly dont see a spot for Lucas.

If you had Travis Cloke to offer my answer would be different. Not much would be off the table for him-he will be THE player in the AFL inside 5 years.

Haha you love Clokey don't you Twodogs:), he will be a great player.

Twodogs
12-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Haha you love Clokey don't you Twodogs:), he will be a great player.

Sure do. He's my 'sell the farm' player.

The Pie Man
12-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Sure do. He's my 'sell the farm' player.

Too good

I've thought about the Scott Lucas thing a bit recently, a Collingwood mate of mine reckons he'd be welcome there too. Hello, Travis Cloke! Don't see them needing another southpaw marking forward, especially since Trav is pure quality.

If Wil can conjure up some more deft taps like his to Aka on Sunday, he'll work out as the forward/backup ruckman. If Lucas doesn't sign with Essendon though, I bet Eade will look at it.

LostDoggy
12-06-2008, 06:59 PM
I have a feeling he would be a mistake. Great player sure.. But he wont fit into our team.

LostDoggy
12-06-2008, 07:40 PM
I think that getting Scott Lucas would be a mistake. We have plenty of good forwards at the moment and we have plenty of young players that should be good in the forward line in a few years time. Another thing that I am not too sure about in a trade for him is who would we trade? I do not think that there are that many players that dont fit into our side at the moment and I think that we should avoid trading trading our draft picks, because of the Gold Coast team that is coming in, in a few years time. I think that it is important that we bring in as many young players as we can and avoid picking up players that are in the twilight of their AFL careers and go for young talent instead .

LostDoggy
12-06-2008, 07:48 PM
We have a raft of youngsters coming through that look like they'll make the grade, no harm topping up with quality here and there to be competitive for the next five years or so, especially while everyone else is stocking their team with kids. This is our time, and we should be aiming to compete in at least two or three grand finals in the next five years. There will be plenty of core talent still on the list after that to rebuild around, all hopefully with multiple premierships around their neck as the Lions are currently doing.

Having said that, Lucas is a bit too old and injury prone for mine. Not sold on Cloke either.

J.Brown, on the other hand..

The Doctor
12-06-2008, 09:26 PM
No to Lucas

He's getting a bit old now and while he will no doubt have a few good games still in him he doesn't bring to us anything we don't currently have. Our forward line is the most prolific in the league so you could argue we don't need him. At least not at his age.

If we had to trade for someone I think another skilful midfielder or an A grade key defender is more of what we need.

hujsh
12-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Take away dealing with Essendon and the salary cap ect and i doubt he would hurt our team as long as we didn't become Lucas centric

bornadog
12-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Not interested in a 31 year old player. Rather invest in Everiitt, Williams, Grant and Boumann.

The Pie Man
13-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Not interested in a 31 year old player. Rather invest in Everiitt, Williams, Grant and Boumann.

Where is Jarrad Grant? Not named even on the extended bench for Willy this weekend....

Topdog
13-06-2008, 09:33 AM
The Bombres are renowned as extremely difficult to deal with at trade time, but now that Sheeds has gone that may change. Lucas might be a handy addition at Point Gellibrand Oval, but he may struggle to break in to our side.

They actually became even more annoying after Sheedy left as Knights has no idea what he is doing at the trade table.

The way he dealt with the Kepler Bradley situation was a disgrace.

Sockeye Salmon
13-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Where is Jarrad Grant? Not named even on the extended bench for Willy this weekend....

A case of OP will do that to you.

LostDoggy
13-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Trading for someone like Scott Lucas keeps the 'premiership window' open for 1-2yrs max. Drafting a bunch of kids keeps it open for 10yrs.
Plus we have recruited 3 30+yr olds in the last 2 yrs. Add West,Johnson and Eagleton i think we should remain on the youth track

Desipura
13-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Trading for someone like Scott Lucas keeps the 'premiership window' open for 1-2yrs max. Drafting a bunch of kids keeps it open for 10yrs.
Plus we have recruited 3 30+yr olds in the last 2 yrs. Add West,Johnson and Eagleton i think we should remain on the youth track
One of the bests posts I have read from you. There has actually been some thought put into it.

Mofra
13-06-2008, 05:23 PM
O'Shea (prior to this year) was playing most of his football as a defender as I understand it.
Would probably replace O'Shea above & insert Boumann if the kid ever gets his head right. Hopefully Grant comes good and develops into a player, if not we'll be needing Tiller to come on (he has the aggression & ticker at least).

Dancin' Douggy
13-06-2008, 07:11 PM
I have never liked scott lucas. Would hate to see him in the red white and blue.

1eyedog
13-06-2008, 07:18 PM
I have never liked scott lucas. Would hate to see him in the red white and blue.

Agreed, it would remind me of Jade Rawlings all over again and that look was bad enough.

Dancin' Douggy
13-06-2008, 09:20 PM
When your best two defenders are manning Lloyd and Hird it's easy to carve out a career as the third Forward like Lucas has. As a stand alone key forward Lucas is a marshmallow.

hujsh
13-06-2008, 09:22 PM
When your best two defenders are manning Lloyd and Hird it's easy to carve out a career as the third Forward like Lucas has. As a stand alone key forward Lucas is a marshmallow.

That's a bit harsh mate. Lloyd did his hammy and Lucas had a good (maybe great can't remember) year.

Dancin' Douggy
13-06-2008, 09:36 PM
That's a bit harsh mate. Lloyd did his hammy and Lucas had a good (maybe great can't remember) year.

I'm talking about a 10 year career as the 3rd forward. Not just a "good" year.

bornadog
13-06-2008, 09:40 PM

agree, we don't need any one that age.

hujsh
14-06-2008, 03:16 AM

So when he plays well as the 2nd forward (Hird was a midfielder too if you didn't notice and not a KPP) it's not good enough and when he steps up to be the main man it's not good enough because he didn't do it long enough.

Twodogs
14-06-2008, 04:05 AM

I think you're being a bit hash on Lucas. He's a good player who steps up when the team needs him. He's had many more good years than the one when Lloyd missed most of the games due to his hamstring. Lloyd was prety badly affected last year as well and Lucas had a good season. And as Hujsh said Hird played most of his footy in the midfield in the last 7-8 years.

Having said that I do think that Lucas struggles a bit when his opponent plays him close.

The Pie Man
14-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Agreed, it would remind me of Jade Rawlings all over again and that look was bad enough.

Oh god, no...how bad was he? That schnoz, the girls name..everytime he marked in the 50 I yelled out 'Jade, shut your eyes, you'll have a better chance'

1eyedog
14-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Oh god, no...how bad was he? That schnoz, the girls name..everytime he marked in the 50 I yelled out 'Jade, shut your eyes, you'll have a better chance'

Remember when he broke his nose taking that mark in the goal square? We should never have taken him, why would you take someone who specifically says they don't want to be there, Jade Rawlings was never going to be the answer to our search for a big key forward Peter!

craigsahibee
14-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Remember when he broke his nose taking that mark in the goal square? We should never have taken him, why would you take someone who specifically says they don't want to be there, Jade Rawlings was never going to be the answer to our search for a big key forward Peter!

7 goals in his first game and we thought how good is this.

The Pie Man
14-06-2008, 11:32 AM
7 goals in his first game and we thought how good is this.

And we still lost - nearly all those shots vs Eagles just snuck in. He was horrible - and how quick did Peter Rhode talk?

craigsahibee
14-06-2008, 11:56 AM
And we still lost - nearly all those shots vs Eagles just snuck in. He was horrible - and how quick did Peter Rhode talk?

That game was the closest thing to basketball I have seen on a footy field ever. It was circuit work only easier. The ball would travel down one side of the ground and if it didn't end up in a goal it was switched and went down the other side without being touched by the opposition. Except of course when Eagleton kicks the ball the wrong way.