PDA

View Full Version : Was this the best Dogs side since '54?

Sockeye Salmon
13-06-2008, 06:35 PM
The Dogs '75 side was the best I've seen until now. This side didn't even make the finals (we did in '74 & 76).

Neil Sachse had his accident in round 2 and we never recovered. Peter Welsh was injured just about the whole year as well.

B: Wheeler, Sandilands, Salmon
HB: Power, Quinlan, Abbey
C: Collins, Featherby, Magee
HF: Whitten, Parke, Stoneham
F: Welsh, Templeton, A. Gallagher
Ruck: Dempsey, Dunstan
Rov: Huppatz
Res (from): Round, Merrington, Morrison, Dell, Jennings, Casey, Low.

Magee, Parke, Casey, Merrington and Gallagher all retired at the end of the year. Round went to South.

We should have had some seroius success in the 70's.

1eyedog
13-06-2008, 06:56 PM
You would have thought so. We had young guns in Templeton, Jennings, Wheeler, Quinlan and a good mix of veterans in guys like Gallagher, Magee and Sandilands. Ted Whitten Jnr was also very underrated. Probably the best team since 54 in my humble opinion but I only know 12 of them by appearance and the rest by footy cards as I'm a younger fella (36). My Dad reckons the mid-late 70s side was very very strong.

Bulldog4life
13-06-2008, 08:03 PM
The team we had who played off in the 1961 Grand Final has to be up there. The problem was in those days our Club couldn't hold onto our players as they could make a lot more money up in the Country. As an example I remember an indeginous player Charlie Stewart; played just a just about every game for us one year in the early to mid 60's. He was a terrific centreman. Only played the one year then left. There wasn't the money in the AFL in those days.

Dancin' Douggy
13-06-2008, 09:40 PM
I think our current list may be the best ever. Especially if if Williams, Everitt, Higgins, Grant and Ward deliver. Maybe I'm a foolish dreamer but I just see the team as such a strong talented list these days.

craigsahibee
13-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Classy centreline and the Ruck division would beat most around during that period. Goal to Goal is pretty impressive also. What went wrong back then? Apart from Admin/Boardroom Battles and not enough cash to keep our good players. 10 of those players went on to play at other clubs. Sandilands, as he mentioned in his interview with TCD, didn't play that many more with Collingwood and Mocca Dunstan broke his leg at North and didn't play to many more either, but I think most of the others that left had reasonably successful careers elsewhere. Quinlan and Round especially.

Sockeye Salmon
13-06-2008, 10:11 PM
By '78 only 12 of the 25 players I named were still at the club.

Twodogs
14-06-2008, 04:38 AM
Classy centreline and the Ruck division would beat most around during that period. Goal to Goal is pretty impressive also. What went wrong back then? Apart from Admin/Boardroom Battles and not enough cash to keep our good players. 10 of those players went on to play at other clubs. Sandilands, as he mentioned in his interview with TCD, didn't play that many more with Collingwood and Mocca Dunstan broke his leg at North and didn't play to many more either, but I think most of the others that left had reasonably successful careers elsewhere. Quinlan and Round especially.

I make it 13 from the side, including interchange, that SS has named.

The team also includes 3 who came from other clubs and Greg Parke who went back to the club he came from.

Oh and for me the '85 side was the most talented Footscray side I saw.

Sockeye Salmon
14-06-2008, 09:37 AM
I make it 13 from the side, including interchange, that SS has named.

The team also includes 3 who came from other clubs and Greg Parke who went back to the club he came from.

Oh and for me the '85 side was the most talented Footscray side I saw.

Casey only played about 1 game for carlton before he came to us. Gallagher was just about finished by the time he got to us.

Magee would have just about been the best performed and highest profile recruit we had until Aker

LostDoggy
15-06-2008, 01:12 PM
The 75 side has 4 brownlow medalists and I suspect they might have been more even across the park.

1eyedog
15-06-2008, 01:14 PM
The 75 side has 4 brownlow medalists and I suspect they might have been more even across the park.

so it did, all big fellas too