PDA

View Full Version : Monday night games

LostDoggy
13-06-2008, 09:29 PM
What is everybodys opinion on the idea of monday night games. I personally do not like the idea, because though I would attend the match, I do not like the idea of not being home until midnight and then having to get up at 5:00 am. I also think that it would cause the crowd numbers to drop largely and I think that a game is always better with a large crowd.

The Coon Dog
13-06-2008, 09:34 PM
What is everybodys opinion on the idea of monday night games. I personally do not like the idea, because though I would attend the match, I do not like the idea of not being home until midnight and then having to get up at 5:00 am. I also think that it would cause the crowd numbers to drop largely and I think that a game is always better with a large crowd.

Purely TV games!

Again, I wouldn't like them, but would attend.

1eyedog
13-06-2008, 11:14 PM
The more nights throughout the week that I get to watch the footy the better, don't care who it is I watch it.

LostDoggy
13-06-2008, 11:35 PM
I'd hate them, at the start of the week a late night out isn't really the best thing for families- I'd still go if I didn't have homework, but seriously, how many parents would take their primary school kids or even early high school kids to the football when they had to get up at 6:30 or 7 the next morning?

1eyedog
13-06-2008, 11:37 PM
I'd hate them, at the start of the week a late night out isn't really the best thing for families- I'd still go if I didn't have homework, but seriously, how many parents would take their primary school kids or even early high school kids to the football when they had to get up at 6:30 or 7 the next morning?

Simple, every Monday night when the footy is on make Tuesday a public holiday, they make public holidays for everything else, not that I'm complaining...

LostDoggy
13-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Having school aged children, I definitely don't like the idea. But my family would still go if the Bulldogs had a Monday night game.

Couldn't be televised on Channel 7 though as Desperate Housewives is on!

BulldogBelle
14-06-2008, 12:55 AM
Not fussed about Monday night games - if we play on a Monday, it wouldn't worry me.

hujsh
14-06-2008, 03:20 AM
C'mon AFL, let me get my homework done.

It can't be done when the AFL's on

Topdog
14-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Games starting at 7pm and it would be perfect. Everyone gets home by 11pm, no worries.

Monday nights work really well in the NRL.

The Coon Dog
14-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Games starting at 7pm and it would be perfect. Everyone gets home by 11pm, no worries.

No they don't, there's bugger all crowd there. It's just for TV, that's all!

Topdog
14-06-2008, 10:47 AM
No they don't, there's bugger all crowd there. It's just for TV, that's all!

Do you know this from watching it or are you just saying it because all AFL fans say it.

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/seas/2008.html

As you can see the line about Monday Night crowds being poor (for the NRL) is a load of hogwash. In fact last week it got the highest attendance of the week.

The Coon Dog
14-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Do you know this from watching it or are you just saying it because all AFL fans say it.

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/seas/2008.html

As you can see the line about Monday Night crowds being poor (for the NRL) is a load of hogwash. In fact last week it got the highest attendance of the week.

I didn't say it because all AFL fans say it, quite frankly I find that comment galling. If you think I'm anti Rugby League, you're mistaken, my parents grew up with it & I have known & watched League for as long as I have watched NRL, evn regularly tuning into Super League to watch the mighty Saints.

Out of 10 Monday night games played this season, only the last 2 have exceeded the weekly competition average.

LostDoggy
14-06-2008, 11:47 AM
I dont like the idea at all...

Leave it for the weekend, i dont want the footy dragging over to Monday.

But like others, if we played on the monday night i would go..

Topdog
14-06-2008, 07:44 PM
I didn't say it because all AFL fans say it, quite frankly I find that comment galling. If you think I'm anti Rugby League, you're mistaken, my parents grew up with it & I have known & watched League for as long as I have watched NRL, evn regularly tuning into Super League to watch the mighty Saints.

Out of 10 Monday night games played this season, only the last 2 have exceeded the weekly competition average.

That is a fairly random way of looking to see if something is successful.

The games have also been regularly in the middle of all the games for attendandces.

Putting in average round attendances with Brisbane getting > 30,000 is more than a little misguiding.

The Coon Dog
14-06-2008, 07:57 PM
That is a fairly random way of looking to see if something is successful.

The games have also been regularly in the middle of all the games for attendandces.

Putting in average round attendances with Brisbane getting > 30,000 is more than a little misguiding.

You could look at it in many ways & make an argument for your case (a bit like lawyers do).

Some games have been played in stand alone cities such as Melbourne, Newcastle, Canberra, Aukland, where perhaps the crowds should have been larger.

Actually, you could almost look at attendences generally for the NRL (apart from origin) & think across the board they should be much larger. If we attracted crowds of 9 or 10 thousand I could imagine people coming from everywhere to have us folded, merged or relocated.

GVGjr
14-06-2008, 09:41 PM
I dont like the idea at all...

Leave it for the weekend, i dont want the footy dragging over to Monday.

But like others, if we played on the monday night i would go..

I think as a one off it might work but I see no sense in having regular games on a Monday night. For families it will be a nightmare because the kids will have to front up to school the next day. Sunday has had the twilight games which works out OK but I think there is a good reason why we don't have Sunday night football.

Topdog
15-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Have a good look. The average Monday night crowd (going by the stats at your link) is around 13,300, with less than 10,000 at one game. You simply can't compare this to AFL for a whole range of reasons.

Secondly, people have all sorts of other things on during the week that don't happen from Friday night to Sunday eg. night classes, work, meetings etc.

Monday nights get a huge thumbs down from me.

yeah as I said it works for the NRL.

LostDog
15-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Werent we the ones that went to the AFL a year or so ago asking for Monday games

Sockeye Salmon
15-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Werent we the ones that went to the AFL a year or so ago asking for Monday games

And the AFL said they weren't interested in Monday Night Football.

So they played Collingwood v Adeliade instead.

I just laugh when people come out with "why don't you come up with new ideas for making money?"

Twodogs
15-06-2008, 04:02 PM

The big difference being that The NRL play most of their games in Sydney, Brisbane and the Gold Coast. Their weather conditions are vastly superior to what we suffer in Melbourne. I'd much rather go to a RL game in 20+ degrees than suffer through a typical Mebourne chilly 12 degree evening.

Still if they put it on I'd be watching it on TV-no question.