PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs Biggest Fan?

LostDoggy
15-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Thought id bring this thread up as i havent seen one like it lol

Do you consider yourself a big Doggies fan?

Lots of Memorabilia? Friends with players? Wearing your colours every day?

I wanna hear you lot tell me stories, show me pictures if you think your one of the doggies biggest fans or know someone who is..

Little competition between Woof posters :)

I wanna hear from everyone before i share my stories & pictures cause i think im a contender ;) for "WOOFS BIGGEST DOGGIES FAN 2008" award, which i just made up as i type. lol

GVGjr
15-06-2008, 08:44 PM
I'm nowhere near a big fan but everyday the team does occupy my thoughts every day.

I love the whole pre-season training sessions and the draft and trade periods. there is really no off season as far as I am concerned.

I have a number of framed prints displayed in the study.
The 1954 premiership side framed footy cards framed with the plaque of the line up on the day.
A framed picture of the Hawk that cost me a bit and another one of EJ.
Pictures off both Hargrave and Ward from the player sponsorship efforts and a few others scattered on the wall.

I have a lot of old articles stored as well and a lot of old footy cards.

I do know a lot of people far more obsessive about the club though.

hujsh
15-06-2008, 09:01 PM
I almost failed a movie making class cause i was always on this site.:D

LostDoggy
15-06-2008, 09:14 PM
I would not say I am the biggest Bulldogs fan, but I am pretty obsessed with the bulldogs, i have a bulldogs room, a red car with a blue and white bulldogs no. plate, everyone I know talks about the dogs with me. And I always get given bulldog merchandise for Kris Kringle. :)

craigsahibee
15-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Thought id bring this thread up as i havent seen one like it lol

Do you consider yourself a big Doggies fan?

Lots of Memorabilia? Friends with players? Wearing your colours every day?

I wanna hear you lot tell me stories, show me pictures if you think your one of the doggies biggest fans or know someone who is..

Little competition between Woof posters :)

I wanna hear from everyone before i share my stories & pictures cause i think im a contender ;) for "WOOFS BIGGEST DOGGIES FAN 2008" award, which i just made up as i type. lol

I'm only about 5 foot 10 so count me out.

LostDoggy
15-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Our Biggest Fan? Would have to be David Porter but I think he has lost some.
Scooter would be right up there too. :)
If we win a premiership I don't give a stuff, I'll be drinking and stacking it on too.

LostDoggy
15-06-2008, 10:10 PM
My classroom has become a bit of a Bulldog shrine. The kids love drawing pictures for me, plus all the Bulldog stuff I've been given. We use a stuffed toy bulldog called EJ for show and tell and I've even managed to convert a few to barrack for the Doggies. That is difficult when you live in the Geelong area!
BTW - my car is known locally as the Dogomobile! Must have something to do with the ribbons and stickers, lol.
Go Doggies

LostDoggy
15-06-2008, 10:17 PM
These days I almost feel naked if I am not wearing somthing that is red, white and blue. Alot of my freetime is spent looking for cheap Bulldogs merchandise and memorabilia on Ebay. I will always try to attend any Bulldogs function that there is.

The best experience of my life was during the 3rd quarter of the 2006 QF. I was sitting in the collinwood cheer squad and seeing the reaction of their supporters when they knew that the Bulldogs were going to win was priceless.

BulldogBelle
15-06-2008, 10:23 PM
My collection of Dogs Memorabillia...

1- EJ's autograph.
2- Jim Edmond's jumper signed and framed.
3- Chris Grant's jumper signed and framed.
4- Doug Hawkins signed and framed picture.

A couple of signed footballs.

Twodogs
15-06-2008, 10:26 PM
I'll start the bidding with my bulldog tattoo and then raise with my darling little daughter whose three given names are Lucy Joy Liberatore.

LostDoggy
15-06-2008, 10:33 PM
I'll start the bidding with my bulldog tattoo and then raise with my darling little daughter whose three given names are Lucy Joy Liberatore.

haha thats awesome...long name though but still very cool. :cool:

Im gunna get a tatoo aswell, i told my mates ill get the logo if we make it to semis :)

Twodogs
15-06-2008, 10:41 PM
haha thats awesome...long name though but still very cool. :cool:

Im gunna get a tatoo aswell, i told my mates ill get the logo if we make it to semis :)

Off the top of my head I can think of two other posters on this site who have managed to bulldog players names into their kids names. One of them called his kid Daniel before Crossy had even played a senior game. The other has a son called Dempsey Jay-I think it's Jay anyway.

craigsahibee
15-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Off the top of my head I can think of two other posters on this site who have managed to bulldog players names into their kids names. One of them called his kid Daniel before Crossy had even played a senior game. The other has a son called Dempsey Jay-I think it's Jay anyway.

When my wife was pregnant with our son she was scheduled for a caesarian and we had a choice of 3 dates. I chose Granty's birthday for the big day. She was none the wiser.

The Coon Dog
15-06-2008, 11:10 PM
When my wife was pregnant with our son she was scheduled for a caesarian and we had a choice of 3 dates. I chose Granty's birthday for the big day. She was none the wiser.
Gold, I love it! Didn't name him Christopher by chance?

hujsh
15-06-2008, 11:17 PM

Happy birthday Granty... i mean son!!!

LostDoggy
15-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Forgot to mention in my previous post. At my daughter's wedding - I lined up with my daughters (the other was a bridesmaid) - and my friends screamed with laughter. You see my daughter's bridesmaid dress was red, the bride of course, was white and I had deliberately bought a beautiful blue outfit.
The bride hadn't noticed until then! The response was "OHHHH Mum!, how could you?"

1eyedog
15-06-2008, 11:29 PM
I've had a kick to kick with Chris Grant, just thought I'd share that. We kicked the ball down at Williamstown in the reserve near Warmies boat ramp, we played a game where we kicked the ball to each between 20 metres apart and we couldn't let the ball hit the ground. We got to 30 odd before I put one over his head. He signed the inside roof of my car and threw salivary balls for my dog.

LostDoggy
15-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Forgot to mention in my previous post. At my daughter's wedding - I lined up with my daughters (the other was a bridesmaid) - and my friends screamed with laughter. You see my daughter's bridesmaid dress was red, the bride of course, was white and I had deliberately bought a beautiful blue outfit.
The bride hadn't noticed until then! The response was "OHHHH Mum!, how could you?"

ahha that sounds brilliant - got any pictures u can post? :)

Twodogs
16-06-2008, 12:12 AM

I bow to you. When little libba, I mean Lucy, walks down the ailse I plan to be right alongside her wearing a sleeveless, collared, button up tricolour jumper instead of a vest under my morning suit. I explained it all to her when she was just a baby. She didnt seem to have any objections.

I've had a kick to kick with Chris Grant, just thought I'd share that. We kicked the ball down at Williamstown in the reserve near Warmies boat ramp, we played a game where we kicked the ball to each between 20 metres apart and we couldn't let the ball hit the ground. We got to 30 odd before I put one over his head. He signed the inside roof of my car and threw salivary balls for my dog.

Chris Grant is a class act. When was my son was only a few months old and he still had the shop at Highpoint I took the little fella in to say hello to The Great Man. He fussed over the baby-I think his partner was pregnant at the time-and talked footy with me for 15 minutes or so then me and the boy wandered of.

Fast forward around eight months. I'm walking out of the ticketing agency they used to have at Whitten Oval with finals tickets-it's the first week of the 1999 finals series. Chris walks out of the players rooms, spots us walks over and says "Hows little Harvey going". I dont know how he did it. I meet maybe one new person a year and I cant remember their name!

Sockeye Salmon
16-06-2008, 12:19 AM
Our Biggest Fan? Would have to be David Porter but I think he has lost some.
Scooter would be right up there too. :)
If we win a premiership I don't give a stuff, I'll be drinking and stacking it on too.

There's a few here who've got me covered.

Barry has forgotten more about the Dogs than I ever knew.

No, that's bullshit. Barry has never forgotten anything about the Dogs, ever.

Twodogs has wiped out some brain cells, he's probably forgotten a lot.

They'd both have me covered and then some.

Twodogs
16-06-2008, 12:24 AM
There's a few here who've got me covered.

Barry has forgotten more about the Dogs than I ever knew.

No, that's bullshit. Barry has never forgotten anything about the Dogs, ever.

Twodogs has wiped out some brain cells, he's probably forgotten a lot.

They'd both have me covered and then some.

My best savant days have long since passed. As you say my 'lifestyle choices' have severly impacted on the amount of RAM available to store important footy info available to me.

If I need to remember anything these days I just ring Barry.

LostDoggy
16-06-2008, 12:24 AM

I named my son after the great man! OK this is probably too much information for everyone but I know 100% fact that my son was conceived on the same day that it was announced Chris Grant would be staying with the Bulldogs (back in September 1996) so when he was born the following June there was only 1 choice as far as name choosing goes. My son Christopher was at the football when he was 13 days old and has only missed a handful of games since (and all these are interstate matches). His bedroom is beautifully decorated with lots of Bulldogs memorabilia eg. Last Game at the Whitten Oval, framed Ted Whitten photo, a photo of me sitting next to Ted Whitten and Doug Hawkins at the Selectors Table back in 1994 the Thursday night before Doug broke his record, Tony Liberatore caricature from his testimonial, Team of the Century signed cards absolutely beautifully framed - it's priceless, a David Darcy signed and framed Scanlons card, Chris Grant stuff, blow up Woofer, Western Bulldogs clock, Bulldogs mat, Western Bulldogs football jumpers, Western Bulldogs doona cover. And he's not brainwashed! My daughter is named after Laurie Sandilands - no not really, I'm only joking but her name is Lauren but would have been named Brian after Brian Royal if she was a boy! ;)

craigsahibee
16-06-2008, 09:21 AM

Now that would be really pushing my luck.

We had the name picked out long before the date was sorted.

craigsahibee
16-06-2008, 09:26 AM

I remember being at the family day way back in '83 i think it was when the 54 Premiership side played against the 61 Grand Final side. The 54 guys ran out on to the ground and did their lap of the centre square led by EJ, but they didn't have a footy to warm up with. I was standing there after having a bit of kick to kick with my cousin, when EJ ran towards us calling for the ball. I casually hit him on the chest with a perfect pass. Afterwards I took the time to think about it and thought how big a moment for me that was. EJ was my Dad's hero and he was pretty pumped to see his son just kick the footy to EJ.

alwaysadog
16-06-2008, 10:03 AM
I would like to nominate a couple of friends. Maybe this is the wrong thread should probably be tone entitled The strangest places to assert your Bulldog insanity. Here’s why:

#1: Retired from the Vic Education Dept after a long and illustrious career and a formal farewell evening to mark the event was held at one of the university colleges. Over 100 people attended and proceedings went as such things do until the guest of honour called for all the Bulldog supporters present to join him out front for a rendition of Sons of the West, which we did with gusto.

Then he moved on to work for the NSW Ed Dept. Last of his Bulldog passion I thought, but no, he was selling tickets at the RSL club for the after match function almost as soon as he hit Sydney. I tried to introduce him to DR but of course they already knew each other.

#2: My physio wanted to mark his 50th by doing something he had always yearned to do and climb some European mountain, can’t remember if it was The Matterhorn or Mont Blanc.

Anyway off he goes and comes back in one piece all jubilant. Emails me some snaps. There he is atop the mountain wearing his Bulldog jumper. Photo made the pages of the small paper I think.

Bulldog4life
16-06-2008, 03:01 PM
I remember being at the family day way back in '83 i think it was when the 54 Premiership side played against the 61 Grand Final side. The 54 guys ran out on to the ground and did their lap of the centre square led by EJ, but they didn't have a footy to warm up with. I was standing there after having a bit of kick to kick with my cousin, when EJ ran towards us calling for the ball. I casually hit him on the chest with a perfect pass. Afterwards I took the time to think about it and thought how big a moment for me that was. EJ was my Dad's hero and he was pretty pumped to see his son just kick the footy to EJ.

That would have been an awesome day. Can't ever remember that happening although I certainly believe you. I'm jealous.:)

Twodogs
16-06-2008, 04:09 PM

I ws at training when I was 14 or 15 having a kick with my mates on the terraces in front og the John Gent stand. Teddy and Charlie Sutton were standing 40-50 metres away looking at a clipboard with a lisy of player names on it. My mate kicked the ball way over my head and it bounced towards the two great men. I turned around and took a couple of steps and then called out "Can we have the ball please?" Without looking from the clipboard Ted struck the bouncing footy with his right foot and the bloody thing came at me like a tracer bullet. I was a good 40 metres away and the velocity of the ball knocked me off my feet.

As I picked myself up the two of them were having a good laugh and I heard Sutton say "Oh Teddy-you've still got it son". Almost anyone else and I would have gone over and remonstrated, but EJ had just hit me on the chest with a pass!

craigsahibee
16-06-2008, 04:53 PM
I ws at training when I was 14 or 15 having a kick with my mates on the terraces in front og the John Gent stand. Teddy and Charlie Sutton were standing 40-50 metres away looking at a clipboard with a lisy of player names on it. My mate kicked the ball way over my head and it bounced towards the two great men. I turned around and took a couple of steps and then called out "Can we have the ball please?" Without looking from the clipboard Ted struck the bouncing footy with his right foot and the bloody thing came at me like a tracer bullet. I was a good 40 metres away and the velocity of the ball knocked me off my feet.

As I picked myself up the two of them were having a good laugh and I heard Sutton say "Oh Teddy-you've still got it son". Almost anyone else and I would have gone over and remonstrated, but EJ had just hit me on the chest with a pass!

:)Brilliant

bulldog
16-06-2008, 05:30 PM
i am a bulldog tragic i get all framed jumpers pics online auctions i have known former players all good guys

LostDoggy
16-06-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm obsessed, but I can't compare to some of the other fans here! My room is full of Bulldogs stuff, I have 2 framed jumpers- Dale Morris warm up top 2005 and 2007 and some framed cards, framed stamp things, a signed Libba poster from his last game, 2 big boards of signed photos of me and a player or ones I've taken at training, my wardrobe doors are covered in cut outs from the Bulldogs magazines from about 2005 and some of 2006 (I've decided its better to keep them in tact though...so I've stopped doing that) and I have 38 AFL books (8 Bulldogs ones). People walk into my room and sigh at me...they're just jealous though.

My best memories are when Rodney Eade saw me at training after pretty much every player had left the ground, and asked me if there was any player that I'd wanted to see, and I said I wanted to see if Leon Cameron (who was packing up the tackle stuff) could please sign my photo and showed him the one of me when I was six with him when he was a player at one of the family days, and yeah, he went and got Leon and we were talking for a while- that was really nice, I really liked Leon Cameron when he was playing for us, so that was pretty special. Also, last year when I went to the Bulldogs footy show, Dale Morris and Will Minson were there, and I had my number 38 jumper on and so after the show Dale came up to me and talked to me for a while, that really made my night...week. I'm so jealous of some of the previous posters, it's great that the club is so easy going and the players are friendly, it can seal the deal for a young kid supporting the club when things like that happen.

craigsahibee
16-06-2008, 07:32 PM
I'm obsessed, but I can't compare to some of the other fans here! My room is full of Bulldogs stuff, I have 2 framed jumpers- Dale Morris warm up top 2005 and 2007 and some framed cards, framed stamp things, a signed Libba poster from his last game, 2 big boards of signed photos of me and a player or ones I've taken at training, my wardrobe doors are covered in cut outs from the Bulldogs magazines from about 2005 and some of 2006 (I've decided its better to keep them in tact though...so I've stopped doing that) and I have 38 AFL books (8 Bulldogs ones). People walk into my room and sigh at me...they're just jealous though.

My best memories are when Rodney Eade saw me at training after pretty much every player had left the ground, and asked me if there was any player that I'd wanted to see, and I said I wanted to see if Leon Cameron (who was packing up the tackle stuff) could please sign my photo and showed him the one of me when I was six with him when he was a player at one of the family days, and yeah, he went and got Leon and we were talking for a while- that was really nice, I really liked Leon Cameron when he was playing for us, so that was pretty special. Also, last year when I went to the Bulldogs footy show, Dale Morris and Will Minson were there, and I had my number 38 jumper on and so after the show Dale came up to me and talked to me for a while, that really made my night...week. I'm so jealous of some of the previous posters, it's great that the club is so easy going and the players are friendly, it can seal the deal for a young kid supporting the club when things like that happen.

Great Post:)

The Coon Dog
16-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Great Post:)
Still reckon she's a stalker!

LostDoggy
16-06-2008, 07:47 PM
I don't think I can compete with the rest of you, but when my Mum told my Dad she was pregnant (with me), she told me he replied, 'great the world needs another bulldog supporter". So I can say I've been supporting the bulldogs since I was negative 9 months.

LostDoggy
16-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Speaking of stalking, i stood at the fence on Saturday at quarter time, and creepily watched him from a distance doing his interview with Christie Malthouse, hah.

Oh, and coming back with an armfull of pies, noticed a VERY tall skinny bloke walking in front... turns around, well HELLO Peter Street! So i unintentionally stalked Guy O'Keefe, Street and a few others back to my seat. Whoops.
All i could do was laugh with my armfull of pies!

LostDoggy
16-06-2008, 07:57 PM
ahha that sounds brilliant - got any pictures u can post? :)

Sorry! My daughters don't want to see their pic on the internet. :( I don't think the bride has ever quite forgiven me.

craigsahibee
16-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Still reckon she's a stalker!

If Dale ever goes missing....... I reckon we have a fair idea of where to start looking.;)

Max469
16-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post

That would have been an awesome day. Can't ever remember that happening although I certainly believe you. I'm jealous.

I was there that day - amazing.

We all have special memories - just a couple of mine are:

Meeting the great EJ at the above family day.

A pic of me and Dougie and his best and fairest cup, when he won it in '85

Having a celebratory drink with Brad Hardie the same night as above - as he had won the brownlow that year and years later meeting up with him when I was stalking the Doggies team of century dinner - and he remembered me.

Pics with Chris Grant, Monty, Murphy, Neil Cordy, Geoff Jennings, Will Minson.

Road trip to Ballarat with Murphy, Harbrow, Stack, Lynch & Hill -- to assist on a Supporter Group day.

The Coon Dog
16-06-2008, 08:35 PM
A pic of me and Dougie and his best and fairest cup, when he won it in '85

I was there too, from memory it was at 501 Receptions in Barkly Street. Doug's Mum collapsed too that night, she was just so thrilled. From memory Hawk was trailing coming into the finals, but he polled a bucketload of votes to storm home.

Max469
16-06-2008, 08:45 PM
I was there too, from memory it was at 501 Receptions in Barkly Street. Doug's Mum collapsed too that night, she was just so thrilled. From memory Hawk was trailing coming into the finals, but he polled a bucketload of votes to storm home.

Yes, it was at 501 - it was good as I lived around the corner at the time - so I just stumbled home at the end of the night. ;)

Dougie did storm home - it was a surprise to everyone.

hujsh
16-06-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm doing a photography thing at school and it ends with Westy holding the premiership cup hugging Hahn. I also put my face on Minson's body and it was strange looking

If anyone has a picture of the dogs doing pushups that would be awesome.

LostDoggy
16-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Lovin the stories guys - even if some of us sound like stalkers, the players understand :)

Thought id show some pictures of my fanaticness...these are pics taken tonight of my room..had this since the week after i moved in..unfortunately moving in August im gunna miss it - and the next tenants prob will destroy it asap lol

that colour is all around the room..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Edgecutiona/dogs2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Edgecutiona/dogs1.jpg

closer look at the pic on the wall..got it off friends for my 21st, up there with my best presents ever

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Edgecutiona/johnno.jpg

pretty sad for a 21 year old hey...but it was painted when i was 15 so that makes it sound better ;)

Twodogs
16-06-2008, 11:55 PM

Dougs mum was a legend. I can remember coming home on the train from the footy and someone bagged Douggie within earshot of her. She let fly with a spray that Ron Barrassi would have been proud of. She went on without taking a breath for four or five stops. I often wonder what it must have been like for the people standing on the platform when the doors opened.

ChugggachuggggachugggggachugchugchuuuugFFfftshuuuurrrr*&&&^%%%$donemorewithslifethan*&^^%$^%$#everdo! Whydontya^%$^%*())(*andwhileyoureatit^%$$#@%$@&*(%Yalittle^%$#$#@&*((*&stickitupyoFffftshuuuuurChugchugchugchug

BulldogBelle
17-06-2008, 12:08 AM
This one is my pride and joy still need to get it framed.

Hopefully have a twin for it in the next few years.

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/4236/1954prempe1.jpg

LostDoggy
19-06-2008, 11:11 PM
lol thought id share my stalker-ish story

Last year i went over to the Adelaide game (where we played quite average)...

Wandering around the Adelaide airport before boarding to come home, when i notice a little blonde hair fella stride in to goto the toilets...none other than AKERRRRRRR. After him came the whole team, doctors, players and all.

So i was standing in the middle while half the team wandered over to look in the bookstore (likes of Granty, Darcy, Westy, Harris) while some others went to have a feed (Griff, Cooney, Shaggy, Gia, Higgins)..

Ended up boarding the same plane as the team, and with numerous looks around it seemed i was the only doggies fan!

Sat down next to one of the officials, cant remember his name or position..but he passed me hat over to Westy who was sitting in the opposite aisle downing vb after vb ;) In front of me was Big Will talking to Doc Zimmerman, will didnt play that game, think he was injured.

Got off the plane..ended up walking with em to the baggage claim, on the walk got my hat signed by Granty, Darcy and my hero Johnno..the only question (and a lame one) came to mind at that point was 'Hey johnno why u always smiling mate' (with a big smile on his face) 'Not smiling after tonights game'...i just laughed and kept walking.

Get to the baggage claim where they were all sitting around looking tired and restless, but of course i was annoying wasnt i..got Aker's autograph, who was sitting down with Cooney..Aker was not talkative but signed for me (as u wouldnt be after a pretty average loss). I then got big Brian Harris to sign (i believe he was standing next to Tommy Williams - who i didnt know much about so didnt ask for autograph)..I then got Murph to sign aswell..

Wanted Gilbee & Gia to sign also but both were on the phone at the time so i had enough respect to leave em alone lol

So i have my 2007 doggies hat here signed by Chris Grant, Luke Darcy, Scott West, Jason Akermanis, Robert Murphy, Brian Harris.

Not gunna be able to get that again so easily lol - Best experience for me almost ever :D