PDA

View Full Version : AFL rules out Good Friday footy

The Coon Dog
17-06-2008, 08:30 AM
AFL rules out Good Friday footy (http://afl.com.au/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsid=61586)

THE AFL has ruled out a Good Friday fixture for season 2009, with the league deciding to continue with the current Easter schedule despite a call for the round to be spread across five days.

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou said on Monday the League would not consider a Good Friday match, maintaining that a match on Easter Thursday, combined with games on Easter Saturday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday, worked "extremely well for the competition".

North Melbourne was one club that floated the idea of playing a showcase match on the religious holiday earlier this season, while the NRL and ARU have featured Good Friday matches for a number of years.

The League also clarified the current rules surrounding special assistance picks at the NAB AFL Draft, with the legislation remaining unchanged from last season.

Clubs may qualify for a pick after round one and before round two of the Draft under the rule if it has a single season where it records 16 premiership points or less.

And, clubs may only qualify for a special assistance pick before round one of selections if it has two consecutive seasons of 16 points or less.

Currently, there are five clubs on 16 or less premiership points with Port Adelaide, Essendon, Fremantle, West Coast and Melbourne taking up positions 12 to 16 on the ladder.

While all five presently qualify for a special assistance pick between rounds one and two, none of them are eligible for a selection before round one owing to last year's results – Melbourne being the closest, having claimed the lowest tally of 20 points in 2007.

With young guns such as Nick Naitanui, Daniel Rich and Michael Hurley already attracting the attention of recruiters as emerging talents, high draft selections will once again be in demand come November.

hujsh
17-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Can't understand them not having Good Friday Football.

Even the Americans (who are more Christian than us) play on Good Friday apparently.

Just make it part of that boring appeal they do on seven. It'll get more people watching.

1eyedog
17-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Can't understand them not having Good Friday Football.

Even the Americans (who are more Christian than us) play on Good Friday apparently.

Just make it part of that boring appeal they do on seven. It'll get more people watching.

Even the Italians play footy on good friday, it's a time of celebration for them. We are too conservative.

LostDoggy
17-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Wait til Collingwood asks to play on that day.

GVGjr
18-06-2008, 08:25 PM
I have no problems with games not being played on the day. I'm not in the slightest bit religious but I have a great respect for the day and I doubt that I would attend a game.

Sockeye Salmon
18-06-2008, 09:06 PM
I have no problems with games not being played on the day. I'm not in the slightest bit religious but I have a great respect for the day and I doubt that I would attend a game.

I'm the opposite. I have no respect for any religion at all.

Melbourne Storm should jump into it and would fill Telstra Dome

LostDoggy
18-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Its the most boring day of the year. Why not have footy?

Crizza
18-06-2008, 09:36 PM
The AFL would make a mint on Good Friday, the storm could steal some thunder (pardon the pun) if they were clever. The US who clearly are more religous than us, play on Good Friday, and even Christmas evening. Huge TV audiences tune in to US sports on Christmas Day.

GVGjr
18-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Its the most boring day of the year. Why not have footy?

Or, why should there be an expectation that footy should be be the sole answer to your boredom?

To me this is exactly the reason why footy should not be played on the day. All I keep hearing is people saying that they are bored on the day.
Hardly a good reason as far as I am concerned.
I'm happy enough to concede Good Friday and Xmas day as non sporting days.

LostDoggy
18-06-2008, 10:58 PM

Same here two days a year without sport won't kill us.

LostDoggy
18-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Or, why should there be an expectation that footy should be be the sole answer to your boredom?
Ok get rid of the good friday appeal. Put something recent on TV, Open the shops and Let me eat meat.

LostDoggy
18-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Same here two days a year without sport won't kill us.

There was no footy today. Tomorrow, yesterday and Monday.

Sockeye Salmon
19-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Simple, if you don't want to watch footy on Good Friday, don't.

Those of us who do, should be able to - especially if my club makes a gazillion dollars out of it.

Topdog
19-06-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm the opposite. I have no respect for any religion at all.

Melbourne Storm should jump into it and would fill Telstra Dome

Fully agree on both counts and it is an excellent idea for the Storm. Surprised they haven't gotten on board.

Topdog
19-06-2008, 10:34 AM

We are the only country that don't play on both days for religious reasons.

They play on Anzac day which to me is more important and have made it a real day of celebration. No reason they can't do the same for Good Friday.

hujsh
19-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Ok get rid of the good friday appeal. Put something recent on TV, Open the shops and Let me eat meat.

here here

GVGjr
19-06-2008, 10:08 PM
We are the only country that don't play on both days for religious reasons.

They play on Anzac day which to me is more important and have made it a real day of celebration. No reason they can't do the same for Good Friday.

We play on ANZAC day because the Diggers both approved and embraced it and it has worked well for both parties. Would we have made the move to play football on the day without their support?

Topdog
20-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Whose support do we need for Good Friday?
Who opposes it? The church or random people who believe they are being religious by doing it and rocking up to church 2 times a year?