PDA

View Full Version : Williamstown vs Collingwood VFL

LostDoggy
21-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Uhhhh its not even on tv, their showing the Tassie/Box Hill (i think its box hill) game on ABC...what a waste...i wanna watch Williamstown flog Collingwood, but cant be bothered goin to Optus Oval.

hujsh
21-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Williamstown 6-8-44

Collingwood 6-2-38
2nd quarter 21 mins in

A bit of a comeback by Williamstown who were at least 25 points down. 4.6 to 0.0 in recent times.

Stack is injured. An ankle i think.

Sounds like they're not playing a ruckman ATM. Maybe due to streets dominance.

hujsh
21-06-2008, 04:00 PM
2008 VFL Reserves
Northern Bullants 3.2 5.5 6.6 8.8 (56)
Williamstown 5.0 8.6 13.13 19.16 (130)

GOALS:
Northern Bullants: Shields 2 Meese 2 Hocking Mercuri Totino Williams
Williamstown: Jenkins 5 Young 3 Miller 2 O'Shea 2 Post Lyons Dickson Lockwood Chiu Boumann White

BEST:
Northern Bullants: Vansittart Bannister Taylor Williams Bransgrove Totino
Williamstown: Lockwood Barling Miller Dickson Jenkins Georgiadis

hujsh
21-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Halftime:

Williamstown by 14 points. Kicked 5 goals to one with Collingwood's one the 1st of the quarter

LostDoggy
21-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Hudson and Minson wouldnt want to get injury. Peter Street was just reported and will get a long holiday

hujsh
21-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Commentators laying into Street for cleaning up Cox. Saying he would be embarrassed.

no less than 4 weeks apparently

hujsh
21-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Hill kicked 4.1 as Willy ran away in the last to win easily

Williamstown 14 18 (102)

Collingwood 10 8 (68)

GVGjr
21-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Commentators laying into Street for cleaning up Cox. Saying he would be embarrassed.

Well I was there and I felt sorry for him. Street was running towards the ball front on and Shannon Cox was running with his back to the ball looking over his shoulder. Cox got there first but only by a split second and got cleaned up. Street never intentionally collected him at all.

hujsh
21-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Well I was there and I felt sorry for him. Street was running towards the ball front on and Shannon Cox was running with his back to the ball looking over his shoulder. Cox got there first but only by a split second and got cleaned up. Street never intentionally collected him at all.

Later one of the commentators said," I can't believe I'm barracking for Collingwood," so that makes their assessment less indicative.

Ipaidmy200in89
21-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Willy are going great guns.....the Bullies are going great guns.....

Please do not wake me up until October, please do not spoil the dream!!

Hill will be close again I would think. He is a super talent.

What is the status of young Grant? Injured I am assuming.

hujsh
21-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Willy are going great guns.....the Bullies are going great guns.....

Please do not wake me up until October, please do not spoil the dream!!

Hill will be close again I would think. He is a super talent.

What is the status of young Grant? Injured I am assuming.

OP apparently

Sockeye Salmon
21-06-2008, 09:15 PM

Phil Cleary is the biggest tool in footy. Don't pay any attention to a single thing he says.

GVGjr
21-06-2008, 10:52 PM
The Reserves had a good win today but only had Boumann, Lynch, O'Shea and White playing from a Bulldogs perspective. O'Shea looked OK and was really moved around from defence and forward line. Lynch was classy but didn't do enough. White was quiet. Boumann did some very nice things and whilst he wasn't in the mix for the best players I think the club would be happy enough with his form.
Jayden Post played today and was used at both ends of the ground.

Mulligan and Shaw were there but didn't play and hopefully they will be back playing soon.

The senior side had to fight hard against a very determined Collingwood outfit before over running them in the last quarter.
Guy O'Keefe - started the first quarter on the IC bench but was a reasonably solid contributor except for a quiet 3rd quarter. I really liked his decision making and he worked hard without necessarily being one of the better players.
Brennan Stack - injured himself in the first quarter after starting on a back flank and played no further part in the game.
Sam Reid - started as the ruck rover and really was a 4 quarter contributor. He was strong in a contest and really has gone from strength to strength since working his way into the senior side. I think Reid was dong it tough late in game and seemed to be in a fair bit of discomfort in the last quarter. The fact that he kept battling on was a real credit for him.
Josh Hill - was the best of the Bulldogs today. He started on a wing and was winning a fair bit of the ball before moving to full forward and kicking 4 goals. He went for some very high leaps and showed that he has another dimension to his game as a leading forward.
Jarrod Harbrow - started on a forward flank but it wasn't long before he was rotating into the centre. Typical Harbrow game with his run and carry plus his great tackling. He was busy without dominating.
Peter Street - rucked for a large portion of the game and it was a shame to see him reported in the 3rd quarter. He was doing very well and was holding his marks. I thought he was a good contributor again for the Seagulls.
Andrew McDougall - played the whole game as the CHB and I thought he was good contributor who beat his man all day. He made one glaring error with one of those lateral switches of play but other than that he did his job.
Stephen Tiller - started off very quietly as a back pocket but slowly worked his way into the game. His third and forth quarters were particularly good especially a courageous effort where he backed into a pack. He provided plenty of run and steadied the ship on a few occasions.
Cameron Wight - started as a CHF but had a quiet first quarter before really stepping up a few levels in the next 3 quarters. He held his marks and also did well as a mobile ruckman when he relieved Street. Wight was also carrying an injury.
Easton Wood - is really starting to make some progress. He started off on the IC bench but still had a good first quarter. He played mainly in the midfield before being moved to defence in the last quarter. He worked very hard and is showing a lot of improvement from when I first saw him running around in the reserves.

Raw Toast
21-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Ta muchly for the detailed report GVGjr.

The obvious question, but did you see Stack's injury and/or know of the likely prognosis?

How did Hill get his goals?

Sockeye Salmon
21-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Mulligan and Shaw were there but didn't play and hopefully they will be back playing soon.

That's a shame. I would have liked to see one of them promoted if Street gets rubbed out.

GVGjr
21-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Ta muchly for the detailed report GVGjr.

The obvious question, but did you see Stack's injury and/or know of the likely prognosis?

How did Hill get his goals?

Didn't notice the injury to Stack at all but I knew early on in the 2nd quarter that he was off the ground. I haven't heard how serious it was but he wasn't on the bench at all.

Hill got a couple of goals after marks on the lead. He might have got one goal from a free.
One of the thing I noticed about him was his ability to stay in a contest without getting knocked off his feet. On a few occasions he was out numbered in a contest but kept at his opponents rather than getting knocked over. He is ready to return to the senior side if needed.

The Underdog
22-06-2008, 12:44 AM
I was there for 3 and a half quarters.
Concur wholeheartedly with GVG's summation of the Dogs players. Not a great deal more to add.
Really like Reid's work in the clearances and he kept going all day. He was getting some attention to his back at 3/4 time, so that may explain his discomfort.
Stack's injury was an ankle. Happened slightly off the ball about 5 minutes into the first quarter, couldn't tell whether he twisted it or someone rolled over it but I was near the bench at the time and he definitely was clutching his ankle. Didn't look great.
I was at the other end so was hard to tell with the Street report but it didn't look great from there.
Thought Doogs was good. He seems to be kind of looked to as the senior defender there. Although when I got up close to him I realised that he has brought back the undercut, so it's not all good :).
Hill was good, but he frustrates a little bit with the way he sometimes runs forward of the contest when he could be in there helping out. He is a class above the level though and he is just fantastic in the air.
Harbrow worked hard and Wood showed some really good glimpses.
Went and listened to Gotch at the huddles and ws really impressed. He's so positive with the players, can make a point about something a player's doing wrong without belittling them and really in control of what he's saying.
I have tro say it was a pretty scrappy game for the most part and while Willy controlled it in the end, they were ordinary for large parts too.
Cal Ward was there but didn't see any other senior players. Saw Malthouse sitting on the wing.

LostDoggy
22-06-2008, 09:58 AM
I was near Malthouse wanted to trip him over, haha just kidding.

Stacky was in a fair bit of pain, he knew straight away something wasnt right cause he didnt even try and stand on it, just started hopping to the bench, 1st few mins on the game, and stayed on the bench til the first few mins of the 2nd qtr, then was on crutches going to the rooms, had a chat to Hillys parents on the way, not a good injury for him and the club, hope its not to serious, cause hes been in great form.

LostDoggy
22-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Williamstown: Lockwood Barling Miller Dickson Jenkins Georgiadis

When did he make a come back?

mjp
22-06-2008, 12:26 PM
When did he make a come back?

Georgiadis actually has a fair bit of talent. Very late to footy (Queensland kid), quick, good size (185'ish) and a left footer.

Would improve out of site on a rookie list...I actually think he did a pre-season with Richmond.

I know Willy are going well, but if I was Lyons or Lockwood I would be looking for another club (Port Melbourne maybe) or moving interstate...

The Pie Man
22-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Georgiadis actually has a fair bit of talent. Very late to footy (Queensland kid), quick, good size (185'ish) and a left footer.

Would improve out of site on a rookie list...I actually think he did a pre-season with Richmond.

I know Willy are going well, but if I was Lyons or Lockwood I would be looking for another club (Port Melbourne maybe) or moving interstate...

I was thinking the same thing as Ernie - is he a relation/child?

Almost in the Rawlings category of stirling debuts to eventually blow out - for memory he was infinitely more talented though. Didn't Malthouse come out at the end of that game (round 1) saying we'd win the flag?

GVGjr
22-06-2008, 01:27 PM

I agree with the assessment of Georgiadis because he is very talented.
It's a shame for Lockwood because whilst the Bulldog players are getting senior game time and experience it means he is battling to get a senior game and he is way too talented to play the reserves.

Sockeye Salmon
22-06-2008, 02:40 PM
This mornings paper is saying Stack has a cracked fibula - 6 weeks at least.

Would just about rule out a debut this year.

westdog54
22-06-2008, 03:00 PM
2nd apparently. Twodogs assured me last night it was Nafan Buckley!

You too??

how many people was he in touch with last night?

Dogs 24/7
22-06-2008, 10:28 PM
It seems like the Pies really tested us in this game as well. I heard a mate mention Gotchs 3/4 time address to the players as impressive. Did anyone hear it?

GVGjr
22-06-2008, 10:31 PM
It seems like the Pies really tested us in this game as well. I heard a mate mention Gotchs 3/4 time address to the players as impressive. Did anyone hear it?

He was extremely calm and talked about the fact that they were being tested much like the previous week against Frankston. I think he knew that they would run over them given they were kicking to the scoring end.

He is an impressive coach and an absolute positive for the club.

The Underdog
22-06-2008, 10:35 PM

He talked about running out the game and winning and that history this year suggested they could. Positive without being rah-rah and emphasising the strengths and abilites of the team to inspire confidence. They then went out and kicked 4 or 5 to put the game out of Collingwood's reach.

Bulldog Revolution
22-06-2008, 11:29 PM
Great to hear that Sam Reid is starting to really strut his stuff. From the little U18s footage I saw of him he looked a really powerful athlete he could run and carry and I guess it may have taken a little bit of time to settle in Melbourne and adjust to senior footy.

Guy OKeefe has had a very solid season - do people think he would be top 10 in the B&F at Willy?

Also terrific that Easton Wood is very much on the improve

Cyberdoggie
23-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Great to hear that Sam Reid is starting to really strut his stuff. From the little U18s footage I saw of him he looked a really powerful athlete he could run and carry and I guess it may have taken a little bit of time to settle in Melbourne and adjust to senior footy.

Guy OKeefe has had a very solid season - do people think he would be top 10 in the B&F at Willy?

Also terrific that Easton Wood is very much on the improve

i've seen reid a couple of times and he really impresses me with his determination.
he never stops trying. Kicks the ball a little oddly but that will improve. He is quite lean but very athletic, lean muscular type but with broad shoulders. Should bulk up considerably which will add to his game style.

Wood reminds me of simon black, very similar the way they move. Another very athletic player.

O'keefe has been very consistent, i think he's got 1 or 2 more things to add to his game but he's not too far off.

i read in the paper that hill only had 15 disposals and 4 goals, was he playing up forward all day?, and how were his defensive efforts?

Twodogs
23-06-2008, 01:00 PM
2nd apparently. Twodogs assured me last night it was Nafan Buckley!

You too??

how many people was he in touch with last night?

The word, well two words, I used wasnt tool. One started with a 'F' and the other started with a 'W'

The Underdog
23-06-2008, 01:33 PM
i read in the paper that hill only had 15 disposals and 4 goals, was he playing up forward all day?, and how were his defensive efforts?

Around the wing most of the first half. Up forward in the 3rd quarter and early last. That's when I left.
His defensive efforts ranged between very good chasing and pressure to going through the motions. I think it's often more about him trying to creep forward of a contest and therefore often putting himself out of position to be of influence if we don't win it.
He is very classy though by foot and a lovely mark as we've all seen.

LostDoggy
23-06-2008, 06:00 PM
The word, well two words, I used wasnt tool. One started with a 'F' and the other started with a 'W'

I got Fool.

What was the W?

Mantis
23-06-2008, 06:50 PM
I got Fool.

What was the W?

Rhymes with Tank....er

Sockeye Salmon
23-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Rhymes with Tank....er

No, it rhymed with ****wit

Twodogs