PDA

View Full Version : Chance to move up the ladder

BulldogBelle
21-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Ok, the challenge is there for the taking – Dogs can move up a spot on the ladder if we beat Collingwood tomorrow.

North Melbourne's win over Hawthorn has created an opportunity for us.

The pressure is on can we come up with the goods to beat the Pies tomorrow and how good would it be if Westcoast does the job on Geelong?

If all our cards fall our way, we could be on top of the ladder tomorrow evening.

LostDoggy
21-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Everyone, cross your fingers and toes!
Hopefully the Dogs will come out firing tomorrow afternoon, this is a big opportunity.
But honestly, what do you think West Coasts odds are to beat Geelong? I can't seem to remember any recent history.

1eyedog
21-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Geez Hathorn are over rated, they really crack under pressure. I think Collingwood proved that Geelong do too. This is our best chance fellow WOOF readers. We deserve second spot, if Johnno had of kicked that goal we would be playing for top spot tomorrow

Ipaidmy200in89
21-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Lets go doggies.

Seond time for the season where we have an opportunity to move up a spot or even two....lets make it count.

Mantis
21-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Geez Hathorn are over rated, they really crack under pressure. I think Collingwood proved that Geelong do too. This is our best chance fellow WOOF readers. We deserve second spot, if Johnno had of kicked that goal we would be playing for top spot tomorrow

We would already be on top as we would be the only undefeated team, bar our draw.

bornadog
21-06-2008, 07:58 PM

We would have been on top since that game:)

BulldogBelle
21-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Seond time for the season where we have an opportunity to move up a spot or even two....lets make it count.

Yep, it will be an important win if we pull it off and will also keep Sydney at arms length - the Swans are slower making their way up the ladder nice and quietly.

The Coon Dog
21-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Is there any difference between 1st, 2nd or 3rd this year?

1eyedog
21-06-2008, 08:43 PM
We would already be on top as we would be the only undefeated team, bar our draw.

Yep that's true isn't it

1eyedog
21-06-2008, 08:44 PM

Yes 1st and 2nd are not as good as 3rd.

firstdogonthemoon
21-06-2008, 08:51 PM

Do you reckon? Don't you think it would make a big difference to how we are viewed? I dont want people to actually rate us but if they do...

LostDoggy
21-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Just watching the first 20mins of geel/wce - dont see us going on top of the ladder, geelong look like their gunna win by 80pts..

BulldogBelle
21-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Just watching the first 20mins of geel/wce - dont see us going on top of the ladder, geelong look like their gunna win by 80pts..

Let's just move up one rung at a time. :D

Geelong has gone into 5th gear against Westcoast.

The Coon Dog
21-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Do you reckon? Don't you think it would make a big difference to how we are viewed? I dont want people to actually rate us but if they do...

How we're viewed is irrelevant. It won't help us get a kick or take a mark.

I started a thread recently about the top 4. Touched on the fact that with the top 3 in all likliehood being Victorian teams, there's not the incentive of a 'home' final against an interstate team. So in effect there's very little difference between 1st, 2nd or 3rd this season.

Raw Toast
21-06-2008, 11:06 PM
I don't care about where we are re top 3 at the moment, but if we win we'll be 3.5 games ahead of 5th position (after the Lions took care of Adelaide and stuffed my tipping), which would be very nice indeed.

LostDoggy
21-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Not hitting the top anytime soon, Geelong have just boosted their % from 132.07 to 143.48 :o Absolutely Anihilated them, scary stuff knowing we have to play them in weeks to come..

The 80pt i predicted first qtr turned out to be more of a half time margin

Dont worry - My tipping is horrid :S 1/5

My dream team however will be on fire with Captain Ablett getting me a total of 294 :D

firstdogonthemoon
21-06-2008, 11:33 PM
How we're viewed is irrelevant. It won't help us get a kick or take a mark.

I started a thread recently about the top 4. Touched on the fact that with the top 3 in all likliehood being Victorian teams, there's not the incentive of a 'home' final against an interstate team. So in effect there's very little difference between 1st, 2nd or 3rd this season.

So the way the club and players are viewed off the field has no impact at all? Are you completely confident that all players are always completely unaffected by what is said about them in the media, the extra demands make no difference, the increased in profile has no impact?

I am not suggesting that it would make a huge difference, but there is a big difference between 1st and 3rd in terms of perception. Doesnt how the team is perceived make a difference?

Even if it is just the feeling around the club, the amount of media requests - the different challenges faced by people at the club in admin and so on, all of these things would have some affect on the players. Even if it just meant the coaching department have to implement a strategy to deal with the added pressure, surely that makes things "different"?

hujsh
21-06-2008, 11:39 PM

2nd means a likely home advantage (unless Collingwood or someone gets though their soft draw)

LostDoggy
22-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Hawthorn overrated. Will slide. May not stay in top 4. Seriously. Not a threat.

LostDoggy
22-06-2008, 01:13 AM
1 bad game today and your writing them off?

They have lost 2 games...out of 13...and have 2 players in the top 10 goalkickers

You sound like your talking about Fremantle or something..

1eyedog
22-06-2008, 11:51 AM

They have lost 2 games...out of 13...and have 2 players in the top 10 goalkickers

When the pressure is on Hawthorn go to sh*&, they really do. They need another year to fully mature I reckon, like we did from 2006, Hawthorn's year last year surprised even Clarkson, when he arrived at the club he said 2010 will be the start of it, I reckon he was right, by next year Hawthorn will be more disciplined (they give away too many free kicks trying to play hard but they are just playing stupid) and as stated they crack badly under pressure. They're game plan is one dimensional and it has been drilled into them so rigorously that now that some teams have worked it out they look vulnerable. They are also way too predictable going forward. Since 2006, we have new found hardness, mental strength and are multi-dimensional going forward. That's why we beat them in Tassie. They'll be a good side but I agree with lantern, I don't think they're a big threat this year, Geelong and Sydney for mine, if we make it to the Granny, we'll be playing on of these two teams.

The Pie Man
22-06-2008, 01:19 PM

Finishing 2nd would be like being seeded 2 at a tennis grand slam, you don't have to meet Federer (read Geelong) until the (grand) final. That is if the team in 2nd wins their first semi and gets the middle week off (and the team in 1st (Geelong) does the same)

If it was Dogs vs Hawthorn in the first week, would it get played at the G? If we played Sydney the first week, I reckon they'll schedule that for the Dome.

The Coon Dog
22-06-2008, 03:13 PM
If we finished 2nd & Hawthorn finished 3rd, what would be the difference between Hawthorn finishing 2nd & us finishing 3rd?

aker39
22-06-2008, 03:54 PM
If we finished 2nd & Hawthorn finished 3rd, what would be the difference between Hawthorn finishing 2nd & us finishing 3rd?

We'd use the home rooms, get to wear blacks shorts and run out first.

LostDoggy
22-06-2008, 03:58 PM

Hawthorn are the Adelaide of 2006 and the Melbourne of 2005. Teams that overachieve over the home and away season with a game plan that takes teams three-quarters of a season to work out and players playing above themselves (Bateman, Mitchell, et al) and getting written up in the press before they achieve anything of note.

Then getting found out in finals when the heat is really on. They've shown that their game plan cannot withstand a physical, all-out assault.

Also, please look at their draw up till now. They have not played anyone in the top 8 except Dogs, Adelaide, Pies and Roos (who wasn't in the eight when they played) in 13 rounds, and they've lost two of those.

In the finals they will lose against Sydney, Brisbane, Geelong, Dogs and Roos and possibly Adelaide. That's not a top 4 side. Clarkson is also not a great game day coach and in a cutthroat atmosphere he will not be quick enough for the likes of Roos and Eade.

ps. I didn't write them off after one bad game. I've been writing them off since before the start of the season and nothing I've seen has made me change my mind .. they've overachieved and will come back to the pack and fade badly.

Scorlibo
22-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Opportunity taken.

The Pie Man
22-06-2008, 09:08 PM

Nothing at all really. Whoever loses in that scenario would have to play Geelong in the prelim should that team win their semi the following week.

Sydney look good to take 3rd though. Big win today after looking shaky to keep an 8 point buffer on them (especially since their % is a bit better than ours)

BulldogBelle
22-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Opportunity taken.

Yep stage one complete - Now for the next challenge top spot. ;)

The Coon Dog
23-06-2008, 09:51 AM
So the way the club and players are viewed off the field has no impact at all? Are you completely confident that all players are always completely unaffected by what is said about them in the media, the extra demands make no difference, the increased in profile has no impact?

I am not suggesting that it would make a huge difference, but there is a big difference between 1st and 3rd in terms of perception. Doesnt how the team is perceived make a difference?

Even if it is just the feeling around the club, the amount of media requests - the different challenges faced by people at the club in admin and so on, all of these things would have some affect on the players. Even if it just meant the coaching department have to implement a strategy to deal with the added pressure, surely that makes things "different"?

I'll defer to the great man!

Rocket aims to finish top four (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23905619-19742,00.html)

IT'S official: The Western Bulldogs have a top-four finish in their sights this season.

Coach Rodney Eade dared to be bold with his season's expectations last night after surviving a tortured Collingwood comeback in the final 10 minutes of the game.

Top eight has almost certainly been achieved, he said, top four is now on the agenda, but top two is not in his thinking - yet.

"I said at the start of the year we needed to win enough games to make the top eight and I think we've got that now," Eade said.

"So we're looking at top four now.

"I think you probably need 14 1/2 wins for top four."

Asked about a top-two finish, Eade said: "It's interesting with the Melbourne teams in it, if you finish first, second or third, there's no real big difference.

"If we finish second and play a Melbourne team third, it's the same as third playing second.

"I think it's a real advantage if you play an interstate side."

Last night's 10-point win at Telstra Dome, the Bulldogs' 11th win from 13 matches, which also include a draw, is the club's best start to a season.

"I think as a club we've got to aim high and that's what good teams do," Eade said.

"We've won against good sides this year and we've also won from different situations, whether it be from behind or teams coming at us, or we're favourites or underdogs or whatever the case may be.

"Now we're assured of a spot in the finals, we should aim for top four."

Eade said the loss of Magpies forwards Anthony Rocca and Ben Reid to leg injuries in the first and third quarters respectively had played a part in the victory. He did not know how significant.

"I think you can probably say it did," he said.

"We had Tommy (Williams with a shoulder), but that limits their flexibility I suppose, but in the end they kicked the last two goals.

"They had plenty of run in the end, and full credit to them, I think they've done a terrific job."

Eade said withstanding Collingwood's comeback, and erasing a four-goal lead during the third quarter, was character-building for the Bulldogs.

"Full credit to Collingwood, their pressure was terrific, they outworked us for most of the game, but to be able to win tough, I suppose - it was a fairly tough game, Collingwood is a tough side - and to be able hang in there and forge ahead was fair credit to the resolve of the group," he said.

"It was led by the (Daniel) Crosses and the (Matthew) Boyds and these players.

"We've played a few of those games with the pressure like that, teams who are physical, and we've coped with that.

"I thought our skills were down. We turned the ball over more than we should have and we didn't play our normal way, with our normal energy, especially in the first half, but not every game is going to be the same."

Williams, who continues to show enormous presence at centre half-back, suffered a shoulder injury in the second quarter, but finished the game and will be available next week.

bornadog
23-06-2008, 09:58 AM

Why is it every time there is focus on a young player by the media their form drops. Happened to Hill earlier this year and this week to Ward. Ward had several articles on him plus the interview on the footy show and look what happened yesterday.

aker39
23-06-2008, 09:58 AM
I know you have some power BAZ, but getting the coach to push your arguement is taking it a bit far. You could of at least got him to put it in his own words, rather than plagiarising you.

craigsahibee
23-06-2008, 10:12 AM
I know you have some power BAZ, but getting the coach to push your arguement is taking it a bit far. You could of at least got him to put it in his own words, rather than plagiarising you.

I'ne never met BAZ, but BAZ's version of a top 4 finish and Rocket's view are eerily similar. Has anyone ever spotted BAZ and Rocket in the same room at the same time?:confused:;)

The Coon Dog
23-06-2008, 10:26 AM

Look, we all know FDOTM treats the rest of us mere mortals with complete & utter disdain, but having my barrow pushed by someone he respects....

firstdogonthemoon
23-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Look, we all know FDOTM treats the rest of us mere mortals with complete & utter disdain, but having my barrow pushed by someone he respects....

And you and I know that what Rocket says to the media, is not the same as what Rocket says to his special friends.

And yes I have seen Baz and Rocket in the same room and its not pretty.

Just cos rocket says there is no difference, doesnt mean that he thinks there is no difference.

There is a difference and you know it.

Even if it is just about supporter expectation - which ultimately has some effect on the players - if there was no difference why would we have this thread.

You are being a clever pants noonah and deserve all the disdain I have at my disposal. But I wont waste my good disdain, it will be disposable disdain, and you will need a disdain remover.

ahahahahahahaha

LostDoggy
23-06-2008, 12:18 PM
There really isn't that much difference I just want us to ensure we are above the interstate sides that way we are garenteed to have all our finals in Melbounrne. But I guess the question is would you prefer to play an interstate side in the 1st week of the finals and then a Melbourne side in a prelim or the other way round.

This is all crystal ball stuff. I guess if all goes to plan we will be playing Geelong for top spot in 3 games time and we have never been able to end the H&A season there so that would be nice to see. How ever I would trade that off in a heartbeat if it ment we where there and won on that big day in September.

aker39
23-06-2008, 12:21 PM
The best result may be to play Sydney in the 1st week in Melbourne, because it is then not possible to play them in a Prelim in Sydney.

The Underdog
23-06-2008, 01:30 PM
I'ne never met BAZ, but BAZ's version of a top 4 finish and Rocket's view are eerily similar. Has anyone ever spotted BAZ and Rocket in the same room at the same time?:confused:;)

I ran into Baz in the toilets at 1/2 time yesterday, I don't know where Rocket was:D

I think the important thing about the next round is that Sydney play Collingwood and Adelaide play Geelong. If we win we're guaranteed to either catch the team above us or put another game between 2 teams below us. Never super confident against Port and don't believe Williams about putting the cue in the rack although they are out of contention. He's a supreme bullshit artist who'll use anything to try to get the upper hand.