PDA

View Full Version : 8 Dogs Commit To Kennel

The Coon Dog
24-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Dogs tied to kennel (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23912687-19742,00.html)

Mark Stevens | June 24, 2008

Ryan Griffen - 2 yrs
Robert Murphy - 3 yrs
Daniel Cross - 3 yrs
Matthew Boyd - 3 yrs
Dale Morris - 3 yrs
Brad Johnson - 1 yr
Daniel Giansiracusa - 3 yrs
Josh Hill - 2 yrs

THE Western Bulldogs have slammed the kennel door on potential raiders, signing eight key players to new deals.

Exciting midfielder Ryan Griffen has agreed to a two-year extension, killing off any hope the South Australian clubs had of luring him home next season.

And the Dogs, now equal-second favourite for the flag, have also re-signed the core of their leadership group.

All-Australian contender Robert Murphy has re-committed to the Dogs until at least the end of 2011.

Midfielders Daniel Cross and Matthew Boyd have also signed for another three years.

Defender Dale Morris has gone from promoted rookie to valuable commodity with a new three-year deal.

Veteran skipper Brad Johnson has signed a new one-year arrangement.

Daniel Giansiracusa, considered a strong candidate to eventually replace Johnson, is the latest to agree to terms.

Although Giansiracusa is yet to officially put pen to paper to complete a new three-year contract, it is a formality.

Rising Star nominee Josh Hill has also been tied up to a new two-year extension.

Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia said last night the raft of signings underlined the commitment to the cause under coach Rodney Eade.

"It speaks volumes for the football club," Fantasia said.

"We have a group of young men who are aware of the climate and are all really keen to commit to each other."

Fantasia confirmed the club would be paying close to 100 per cent of the cap to ensure the emerging group remained together.

Johnson, Giansiracusa, Murphy, Boyd, Cross and Morris are part of the Dogs' seven-player leadership group.

Seven-time best-and-fairest winner Scott West is the only leadership group player yet to be put in the "definite" class for 2009.

West wants to go on and will be out to prove his worth when he returns from a knee injury, possibly within a fortnight.

The Dogs, who have lost just one of 13 games in their best start to a season, have been keen to shore up their list knowing the arrival of the Gold Coast team is on the horizon.

They have been working quietly in recent months on locking away a host of players coming out of contract.

Adam Cooney, the No. 1 draft pick in 2003 and Brownlow Medal second favourite,

re-signed last year and has committed to the Whitten Oval until at least the end of 2010.

Griffen, the No. 3 pick in 2004, was an obvious target for Port Adelaide and Adelaide, but is now settled at the Dogs.

Negotiations started in early April after Griffen produced breakthrough performances in the opening two rounds.

"I'm very happy in Melbourne. I'm really comfortable. The club's been great and now we've got this amazing new training facility," Griffen told the Herald Sun in April.

Murphy, another strong contender to be the next captain, will be 29 by the time he comes out of contract again.

The fresh commitment means he will almost certainly be a Dog for life.

Although the Dogs have ticked off eight key players, Fantasia said the work was not finished.

"There's still half a dozen players we have made contact with or are about to make contact with," he said.

Topdog
24-06-2008, 09:12 AM
http://coys.sportsmaestros.com/style_emoticons/COYS/SM_banana.gif

http://coys.sportsmaestros.com/style_emoticons/COYS/SM_yupi3ti.gif

LostDoggy
24-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Good news indeed. We need to lock up as many as possible to stop any possiblity of our guys going to the GC. Lets hope we can lock them up quickly next time to stop them from going to West Sydney as well.

craigsahibee
24-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Great news. Let's hope some on field success can create a bond between these guys that cn't be broken by the promise of big dollars elsewhere.

DOG GOD
24-06-2008, 10:49 AM
FANTASTIC news!!!!! well done to all involved at the club. We have something very special on the horizon and this core group is going to be a big part of that.

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!:)

LostDoggy
24-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Saw it in the paper, big smile across my face as soon as i started...they actually have a full page of us in the Herald Sun today :D

Waiting for the other ones though, Lakey - Tommy Gun - Hahny - Shaggy

But as far as we know the only one in doubt is Fazza hey..

Go_Dogs
24-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Yes, just need to keep the group together and the most pleasing thing is that it appears the group knows this, and know that if they stay together they can have some very successful times.

Great news.

bulldogtragic
24-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Anyone have knowledge on who the other 6 players are?

Also does this stave off any threats for the QLD side coming in??

bornadog
24-06-2008, 12:47 PM

Also does this stave off any threats for the QLD side coming in??

Fantasia didn't mention who they are on SEN this morning

bulldogtragic
24-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Fantasia didn't mention who they are on SEN this morning
As an aside,

When was the last time we were paying 100% of the salary cap?

Mantis
24-06-2008, 02:33 PM

Farren Ray is one, it was reported a few weeks ago that he won't be re-signing until this season is finished.

bornadog
24-06-2008, 02:37 PM
As an aside,

When was the last time we were paying 100% of the salary cap?

Have we ever?

Mofra
24-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Farren Ray is one, it was reported a few weeks ago that he won't be re-signing until this season is finished.
Hopefully it will be a formality. He is pretty close to Griff & Cooney, and has a long term GF here.

bornadog
23-07-2008, 06:55 PM
What is the situation with Gilbee, has he signed?

G-Mo77
23-07-2008, 08:33 PM
What is the situation with Gilbee, has he signed?

Isn't he already signed for next season? I could be wrong. :confused:

LostDoggy
23-07-2008, 10:36 PM
In the paper the other day (possibly yesterdays Age..) they had him listed for a possible trade.
Err, is that odd?

GetDimmaBack
23-07-2008, 11:26 PM
In the paper the other day (possibly yesterdays Age..) they had him listed for a possible trade.
Err, is that odd?

Very - we're going to give up the best kick in the game? But when writing articles is your bread & butter, you have to come up with something, I suppose.

Would be better just to play him across half forward all the time, and let him kick goals.

Sockeye Salmon
24-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Err, is that odd?

Not so much odd, more stupid I would have thought.

ledge
24-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Lets look at the big picture here as far as going to GC17.

The club as an AFL team wouldnt be up and running for another 2 years.
It has to get its admin, training facillities, ground, players, all playing and aiming in the one direction.
No club is going to come into the competition in the first 2 or 3 years and be a serious contender
It takes time to get all this together and the teething problems would be of numerous amount.

As far as a player around the 25 age is looking at, lets say our 25yos.
Most of our 25yo have already moved interstate once.
At 25 most of our players are settling with families whos wives and family probably grew up in Melbourne or the state the footballer originally came from.

The Western Bulldogs will no doubt have more success in the next 5 years than GC17.
This means the best scenario for you having success is being in your 30s, (if your still good enough and not succumbed to injury). why waste 5 years of maybe it will happen. Its a big IF.

The Western Bulldogs are established with great facillities now and moving forwards not backwards.
At 25 you have been with the playing group around 5-6 years, you are with your mates.
At any age as a footballer you want to success, you love the game and thats why you play.
As proffessionals you want to concentrate on your football, not the worries of a new team.
Our club at this moment is in a very good position with its admin and has great admin.

Apart from the money side of it (with which no side will probably be able to compete) why would you really want to go?
I dont believe any player is on a bad wage at 25 and still playing AFL isnt set up by then anyway.
The weather ? Well you can always retire up there.

Putting it all together and listening to your head and not your managers spin on it , because he wants as much money as he can get and he doesnt care because he isnt uplifting his family for your money.
I think we shouldnt have much trouble keeping the players we want to keep, unless they are not happy with something.
Now clubs in disarray for Example Freo, it has good players but it has had no direction since its inception and is the same old Freo, are more inclined to lose players than we are.

My perception is like Geelong we are a very close club and the future is bright, why leave?
Apart from Freo, Mel, St Kilda, West Coast, Sydney(a club who I believe has now had its 5 year run) would be more worried than us about losing players, and probably targetted more.

I have no doubt player managers will also try the tactic "Well if you dont give us what we want we will get it at the new club" threat.
Thank god this isnt 1989.

ledge
24-07-2008, 02:30 PM
^^^^^^^^

Any chance of spacing your paragraphs plesae?

Looks far too cluttered & hard to read.

Hows that? Hope it doesnt have to make sense as well.
To tell you the truth I noticed it as soon as I posted it but am on dial up at the minute and it takes ages to load, patience tends to go out the door with dial up.

Scraggers
24-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Hows that? Hope it doesnt have to make sense as well.
To tell you the truth I noticed it as soon as I posted it but am on dial up at the minute and it takes ages to load, patience tends to go out the door with dial up.

It seams everyone is correcting your work ledge ...

westdog54
24-07-2008, 06:24 PM
^^^^^^^^

Probably just time for new glasses TCD.

And for some spelling lessons.

LostDoggy
24-07-2008, 07:59 PM
^^^^^^^^

Yeah but good to read. I think you have made some good points. We haven't lost a player without mutual agreement since Judas - and the players appear happy with many stating they want to be one club players - good signs:)