PDA

View Full Version : Injury update - 24/6/08

Mantis
24-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Taken from the Bulldog's website:

Scott West – Knee (4-5 weeks)
Wayde Skipper – Medial ligament (4 weeks)
Shaun Higgins – Ankle (expected to return after the bye weekend)
Brennan Stack – Ankle (to be assessed)
Tim Callan – Hamstring (2 weeks)
Tom Williams – Shoulder (1 week)

http://westernbulldogs.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/4112/Default.aspx?newsId=62089

bornadog
24-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Strange, I thought Scott West was ready to play for Willy either this week or next. Tommy out a week, Eade said he would be right for this week, maybe worse than they thought.

The Coon Dog
24-06-2008, 06:11 PM
SEN just announced Scott West suffered an injury setback to his knee. Not expected back until round 17.

bornadog
24-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Strange, I thought Scott West was ready to play for Willy either this week or next. Tommy out a week, Eade said he would be right for this week, maybe worse than they thought.

Ok, just heard on SEN, West another setback, not available till round 17.

LostDoggy
24-06-2008, 06:18 PM
That sucks so much for him especially..for him not to be apart of how good we are playing this year is so unfair

bornadog
24-06-2008, 06:24 PM
That sucks so much for him especially..for him not to be apart of how good we are playing this year is so unfair

Presuming he comes back round 17 plays a few games at Willy, doesn't give him much time to get a spot in the firsts. Depending on how we are travelling and any other injuries, he will struggle to get in.

Rach
24-06-2008, 06:28 PM
That is so disappointing for Westy :(

1eyedog
24-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Presuming he comes back round 17 plays a few games at Willy, doesn't give him much time to get a spot in the firsts. Depending on how we are travelling and any other injuries, he will struggle to get in.

Spot on, he must be devastated. In all seriousness round 17 may well mean round 19 which would mean 2 weeks at Willi (round 21). Are we willing to bring a half fit footballer into the team that late in the season, even one of the calibre of West ? Still, a half fit West is a better option than others.

LostDoggy
24-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Going to be on channel 10 so watch out.

Dont have a good felling abouts this...

The Coon Dog
24-06-2008, 06:45 PM
http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=2914

Cyberdoggie
24-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Ok, just heard on SEN, West another setback, not available till round 17.

well rnd 17 is 5 weeks so the website is up to date.

brennan stack however, i heard it was a break to the fibula, may of been tibula but basically he has a break in his leg not his ankle.

Unless i heard wrong of course.

A break would almost write him off for the season

Mulligan and Shaw also still injured, no report there.

Can't remember the last time shaw played.

dog town
24-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Westy sounds like he has done something similar to what Paul Kelly had in his last season. He didn't get back from it. Pretty sure he had a cracked patella or stress fractures in his patella. Sounds absolutely awful.

craigsahibee
24-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Wight or Doogs for Tommy Gun?

bornadog
24-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Wight or Doogs for Tommy Gun?

This is probably a good game to give Doogs ago and show us what he is made of.
Who would he match up on?

LostDoggy
24-06-2008, 07:59 PM

West will come straight in when he is match fit. His work at the stoppages come finals time will be invaluable. He gets that crucial hanball out, milks that free kick or fights for a ball up better than anyone in the game.

The Coon Dog
24-06-2008, 08:04 PM
This is probably a good game to give Doogs ago and show us what he is made of.
Who would he match up on?

I'm not too sure there is a match up for a tall. Port dropped Westhoff for the last game, so it leaves just Tredrea, which you would assume then that Lake would take him.

Maybe a smaller player such as Tiller to replace Tom.

Actually, I just realised I posted this in the injury thread. More appropriate in the game thread.

LostDoggy
24-06-2008, 08:16 PM
How frustrating this must be for West given that he has been as durable as he has over his long career. It has created some opportunities but I hope he can get back and match fit before the finals.

BulldogBelle
24-06-2008, 08:20 PM
How frustrating this must be for West given that he has been as durable as he has over his long career. It has created some opportunities but I hope he can get back and match fit before the finals.

I feel for him, I think he had only missed about 5 or 6 games since he first started playing and sitting on the sidelines this season with injury would be very foreign & frustrating for him. Let's hope all goes well and we have Westy back in the side before Finals come around.

Raw Toast
24-06-2008, 08:56 PM
West will come straight in when he is match fit. His work at the stoppages come finals time will be invaluable. He gets that crucial hanball out, milks that free kick or fights for a ball up better than anyone in the game.

Agree with this on the proviso that West is able to gain some decent match-fitness.

Scorlibo
24-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Jarrad Grant? I didn't think he had been playing for Willi?

Mantis
24-06-2008, 09:12 PM

Heard he had OP, but this hasn't been confirmed by the club.

LostDoggy
24-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Very disapointing to hear about Scott West. I really do hope that I am wrong, but I am beggining to have my doubts over whether we will see him playing next year. I guess we will find out in October.

Bulldog4life
24-06-2008, 09:48 PM
well rnd 17 is 5 weeks so the website is up to date.

brennan stack however, i heard it was a break to the fibula, may of been tibula but basically he has a break in his leg not his ankle.

Unless i heard wrong of course.

A break would almost write him off for the season

Mulligan and Shaw also still injured, no report there.

Can't remember the last time shaw played.

Spoke to him Cyberdoggie after the Footy Show at Mulgrave. He has a disc problem in his lower back. At the time he siad it wasn't as bad as Big Wills last year but he expected to be playing by now.

The Coon Dog
24-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Scott West to miss five more AFL matches (http://news.realfooty.com.au/sport/scott-west-to-miss-five-more-afl-matches-20080624-2w2e.html)

Injured Western Bulldogs champion Scott West is battling against time to be fit for his AFL club's tilt at breaking its 54-year premiership drought.

The midfielder has suffered a setback in his rehabilitation from a bone stress complaint in his right knee and is now targeting a return in early August, just a month before the finals.

After missing just eight matches in his first 15 seasons through injury, West, a veteran of 324 games, has been sidelined for nine of 13 this season, after sustaining the bone problem in his knee against West Coast in round 6.

While the club had hoped West would return after the mid-season break, a bad re-diagnosis on his knee has prompted the club to order West to rest for the next two weeks and pushed his comeback to round 18.

"He was progressing pretty well but he began to feel some discomfort with it again, so that's where we got him re-assessed and the inflammation (around the knee joint) hasn't come down as we would have like it to," Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia said.

"Our decision was we would lighten his load a bit to take the pressure off it.

"We kept saying two weeks but it just hasn't got there so we said, `no lets take the pressure off and say it's four weeks'.

"It now gives him a chance to get back which we think he will.

"We're going to take him off the track for now the next two weeks which will give him two weeks back (training) before he's ready to play.

Fantasia admitted West was struggling to cope with the uncertainty of his return but denied it would end the 33-year-old's career.

He said the club was confident West could regain his match fitness in time to be a part of the team's quest to break the competition's longest premiership hoodoo.

"Scott's very resilient - he's got a very healthy and natural fitness base," Fantasia said.

"There will be the initial match conditioning that he needs but that might be a game or two before your back into (playing well) at an AFL level, we're confident he can work his way back in the side."

West's absence has seemed to have had little impact to the Bulldogs on-ball division, with Adam Cooney, Ryan Griffen, Daniel Cross and Matthew Boyd stepping up to fill the void left by the seven-time best and fairest winner.

But Fantasia believed West could be the "X factor" the team might need in the high-intensity stakes of finals football and believed his prolonged layoff and frustration meant he had a greater appetite to succeed in his 16th AFL season.

"One of the points of differences he brings into the mix is his ability to find the ball and his experience," Fantasia said.

"He adds fairly significant leadership to our group, which will be a bonus come finals time."

Scraggers
25-06-2008, 03:14 AM
Spot on, he must be devastated. In all seriousness round 17 may well mean round 19 which would mean 2 weeks at Willi (round 21). Are we willing to bring a half fit footballer into the team that late in the season, even one of the calibre of West ? Still, a half fit West is a better option than others.

How will this work with his contract re-negotiations for 2009 ... this injury can't be helping that :(

Topdog
25-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Gutted for Westy. We are finally having a great year after he stuck by and endured all the crap years.

LostDoggy
25-06-2008, 10:25 AM

The fact that he has not been playing and nor does he appear on the injury list hopefully means he has recovered.

Or has he been missing for other reasons?

bornadog
25-06-2008, 11:20 AM
The fact that he has not been playing and nor does he appear on the injury list hopefully means he has recovered.

Or has he been missing for other reasons?

Don't think so, he still attends matches and watches his mates, so he is not in the outer or anything. I believe it is OP.

Mantis
25-06-2008, 11:49 AM

He hasn't been on the injury list at all and has missed the past 3 games.