PDA

View Full Version : The Dillema that is Tim Callan.....

LostDoggy
30-06-2008, 04:05 PM
If my memory serves me correct and I think it does, I cannot recall a time when we have been blessed with a full list of players coming into the second half of the season. Of recent time we have been plagued with injuries to key personel and it has torn through our season like a cancer.

Alas, we have a dilema of a different nature, where to fit everybody and who will be unlucky enough to miss out.

Tim Callan is a player who I believe hasn't been spoken about a lot but in my eyes settled in beautifully well and attacked every contest like a train collision. He has added hardness and good run to our backline.

Before he was injured, I believe that he added a real hard edge that has been lacking in our backline, not to mention he was gaining confidence and begining to run the ball from defence as well. He should be near return and I believe he was no near being excluded from the squad before he was injured.

The dillema is Everitt has come back in and is finding his feet, Tommy Gunn will be back in 2 and is a certain starter, DFA is eating them alive and the other 3 are our foundation backmen, so where does leave a player who was in great form before he was injured??

Tim left Geelong because he was starved of opportunity, will he suffer the same fate this year if we go deep into September with an injury free back 6?

As you can tell I have a soft spot for this bloke, he put his head on the line in the first 5 minutes he played for our club, something that players fail to achieve in their whole career. He has made few mistakes and I would love to see him get a chance to taste some finals this year.

Sedat
30-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Assuming we have a full compliment to choose from come september, I reckon Callan and Addision are fighting for the one spot in the best 22. Not 100% sold on us being able to retain both when they are not super disposers of the ball by foot.

LostDoggy
30-06-2008, 04:21 PM
They wer both in the side at the begining of the year and looked ok. Addison's disposal has improved out of sight lately, he was a shocker earlier on. Callan made a few clangers early due to nerves but settled in really nicely. I agree that they are fighting for the same spot, I love to see him get some game time though, did nothing wrong until he got injured.

The Coon Dog
30-06-2008, 05:56 PM
They wer both in the side at the begining of the year and looked ok.

That was when we didn't have Everitt & Williams. It meant that Hargrave had to play on a tall. Now he's playing on the smaller guys. Unless there's an injury I can't see Tim displacing a defender.

It's a good position to be in too.

Twodogs
30-06-2008, 06:08 PM
It's a good position to be in too.

Cant remember having this many good players missing out on a spot in the team. Willy must be rapt with the change from Collingwood to us.

LostDoggy
30-06-2008, 06:11 PM
This is a great poblem for us to have. I really do hope that Tim Callan can break is wayback into the side, but it is going to be very hard for him to do so while Everitt and Williams are both playing well.

Mantis
30-06-2008, 06:42 PM
This is a great poblem for us to have. I really do hope that Tim Callan can break is wayback into the side, but it is going to be very hard for him to do so while Everitt and Williams are both playing well.

Not sure what you mean here.

I would have thought that Tim would be competing with Addison, Gilbee, Hargrave and perhaps even Ray for a position to play the role as a small defender.

The Coon Dog
30-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Not sure what you mean here.

I would have thought that Tim would be competing with Addison, Gilbee, Hargrave and perhaps even Ray for a position to play the role as a small defender.

I think what he means is that Hargrave & Gilbee are now more likely to play on blokes around their own height, rather than on taller ones.

It's a cumulative effect downwards. Williams & Everitt take the taller defenders & the others get pushed 2 rungs down the height chain.

Mantis
30-06-2008, 06:56 PM
I think what he means is that Hargrave & Gilbee are now more likely to play on blokes around their own height, rather than on taller ones.

It's a cumulative effect downwards. Williams & Everitt take the taller defenders & the others get pushed 2 rungs down the height chain.

I suppose.

But, if Everitt and Williams struggle I would hope that Tiller and Wight come into the team to replace them.

If we have learnt anything in the last month it is that when our defenders play on evenly matched opponents (size wise) then there a real chance of atleast breaking even. We cannot go back to forcing our defenders to pick up bigger opponents on a regualr basis, although there are a couple of exceptions.ie Morris on Riewoldt, etc..

dog town
30-06-2008, 07:09 PM
I really feel for Tim. In alot of ways I thought he really set the scene for us this year particularly with how we have gone about things in defence. It was Callan who was throwing himself head long into marking contests in the first few rounds. He was also leaving his man all the time to help out his fellow defenders even though his spot was not secure. This is a Geelong trait and something they do better than anyone.

The Pie Man
30-06-2008, 07:13 PM
I liked Tim Callan's performances earlier on - tough break with the injury. There'd have to be more injuries for him to get back in at this stage I reckon. Addison won't get dropped, he's become too important. Wins the hard ball

Scott West is an interesting one too - in my more pessimistic moments I can see him doing a Nathan Buckley last year, coming back for a few weeks but breaking down a few weeks into it. We don't want to see him doing exactly a Buckley, that is playing in a losing prelim (had enough of that)

Hope not though, he deserves some real success. So did Turtle (and Hawkins, Libba.. I could be here all night)

1eyedog
30-06-2008, 07:34 PM
I think Callan's hardness is more beneficial to the back half than a 4th tall defender. When Tom comes back we have Lake and Williams (195 odd cms) and Morris 191cm(?) and Shaggy 190cm. That's four bloke down there 6'3 or taller. Don't see the point in having another in Everitt atm. We need another small to play on an attacking opposition small so Callan gets the nod from me. Others will argue that Shaggy and DFA should take the oppositions two small forwards, but I prefer Addison further away from the enemy's goals. Callan looks very comfortable nestled in the back pocket. I'd have him in there and Everitt out when he is fit, he's much harder than Everitt and as stated by someone previously Callan started taking off on a gallop before getting injured.

hujsh
30-06-2008, 08:38 PM
I think Callan's hardness is more beneficial to the back half than a 4th tall defender. When Tom comes back we have Lake and Williams (195 odd cms) and Morris 191cm(?) and Shaggy 190cm. That's four bloke down there 6'3 or taller. Don't see the point in having another in Everitt atm. We need another small to play on an attacking opposition small so Callan gets the nod from me. Others will argue that Shaggy and DFA should take the oppositions two small forwards, but I prefer Addison further away from the enemy's goals. Callan looks very comfortable nestled in the back pocket. I'd have him in there and Everitt out when he is fit, he's much harder than Everitt and as stated by someone previously Callan started taking off on a gallop before getting injured.

But Morris and Shaggy shouldn't play on tall forwards as they will destroy the smalls (and can be beaten by talls, especially shaggy) so Everitt takes the 3rd tall and balance is achieved.

LostDoggy
30-06-2008, 11:25 PM
He was in our best 22 before he got injured. All he needs is a match (this week) in the VFL and hes back in. He is what makes premiership teams. Id say he would come in for Tiller.

Mantis
30-06-2008, 11:30 PM
He was in our best 22 before he got injured. All he needs is a match (this week) in the VFL and hes back in. He is what makes premiership teams. Id say he would come in for Tiller.

...who replaced Williams. Who does Williams replace then?

The Coon Dog
30-06-2008, 11:39 PM
...who replaced Williams. Who does Williams replace then?
Don't confuse him Mantis! He was going so well too. ;)

becmatty
01-07-2008, 02:10 AM
West, Higgins an Williams WILL all return and clearly in our best 18.

That means three UNLUCKY players in the current lineup must make way. So, on that logic, Callan will be 4th in line and unable to break in unless we have injuries.

So, that poses the question - which three willmake way for West, Higgins and Williams?

My pick is Tiller, Addison and Hill. The latter two VERY unlucky...

1eyedog
01-07-2008, 08:18 AM
But Morris and Shaggy shouldn't play on tall forwards as they will destroy the smalls (and can be beaten by talls, especially shaggy) so Everitt takes the 3rd tall and balance is achieved.

Don't agree here. Morris has beaten Riewoldt twice this year, IMO Morris should always take the 3rd tall as the third tall in most teams are usually not giants anyway. Everitt gets pushed off the ball too easily for mine in marking contests, he's fine when he gets a run at the ball but Morris is much stronger and I'd back him in most times. Shaggy to take small/medium type players and Callan to get a small as well.

FrediKanoute
01-07-2008, 08:26 AM
If Tim is good enough he'll work his way back into the side. We still have 10 or so H&A games to go and a lot can happen between now and then in regards form and injuries. Its a dilemma, but a goo dilemma.

hujsh
01-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Don't agree here. Morris has beaten Riewoldt twice this year, IMO Morris should always take the 3rd tall as the third tall in most teams are usually not giants anyway. Everitt gets pushed off the ball too easily for mine in marking contests, he's fine when he gets a run at the ball but Morris is much stronger and I'd back him in most times. Shaggy to take small/medium type players and Callan to get a small as well.

I'd rather not have Morris on those tall blokes like Lucas.

Williams is a much better matchup letting Morris take Lovett or someone

1eyedog
01-07-2008, 04:16 PM
I'd rather not have Morris on those tall blokes like Lucas.

Williams is a much better matchup letting Morris take Lovett or someone

Yep, I'd rather not have Morris on the tall blokes either, but he's proved he can do it. I wasn't talking about Morris taking the opposition tall (Lucas or Lloyd), he would take the next (3rd) tall. With Williams and Lake in the side there should be no need to have Morris play on 195cm+ blokes down back. Morry should play on guys 188-192cm IMO someone like a Corey Jones, Ryan O'Keefe or if your talking Essendon maybe someone like young Neagle for instance. Those types of players. Anyway, with Morry taking 3rd tall that would free up Callan to come back in the team for Everitt which was the crux of my argument. I would prefer Morris on Lucas than Everitt on Lucas!

hujsh
01-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Yep, I'd rather not have Morris on the tall blokes either, but he's proved he can do it. I wasn't talking about Morris taking the opposition tall (Lucas or Lloyd), he would take the next (3rd) tall. With Williams and Lake in the side there should be no need to have Morris play on 195cm+ blokes down back. Morry should play on guys 188-192cm IMO someone like a Corey Jones, Ryan O'Keefe or if your talking Essendon maybe someone like young Neagle for instance. Those types of players. Anyway, with Morry taking 3rd tall that would free up Callan to come back in the team for Everitt which was the crux of my argument. I would prefer Morris on Lucas than Everitt on Lucas!

The beauty of Williams is neither will have to though. IMO Morris is of more value on small defenders where he is as quick as them but taller, and maybe even stronger, while Everitt can take a Neagle type whose less of a threat that the best small forward

1eyedog
01-07-2008, 07:01 PM
The beauty of Williams is neither will have to though. IMO Morris is of more value on small defenders where he is as quick as them but taller, and maybe even stronger, while Everitt can take a Neagle type whose less of a threat that the best small forward

Fair enough;)

hujsh
01-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Fair enough;)

Will be interesting to see what the club choses to use though