PDA

View Full Version : Vale Jack Collins

BulldogBelle
06-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Just got home from Past Players Lunch at Yarraville club and was told Jack Collins 1954 Full Forward had past away on Saturday night.

GVGjr
06-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Sad news. Well loved and respected.

craigsahibee
06-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Condolences to the Collins Clan. RIP Jack.

Prince Imperial
06-07-2008, 07:51 PM
A true Footscray hero. 7 goals in a grand final, twice the leading goal kicker in the League and club president. Condolences to his family and many friends.

LostDoggy
06-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Very sad news. RIP

Twodogs
06-07-2008, 09:24 PM
His greatness as a player and his work for the club has become unrecognised. The top two places in the bulldog legend stakes are well and truly taken. Jack is in a small group well in contention for the third spot. Ironically his dad was a premiership legend at Essendon and he should probably have played for them-I think his brother did play for them. But Jack was a Yarraville boy and thankfully Yarraville boys are predestined to be Bulldogs.

I bought my first ever cricket bat from a Footscray cricketer called John Dodd when he was working at Jack's sport store in Nicholson st. in Footscray in the mid '70s. A SS Cheetah with that stupid white canvas stuff wrapped around it.

Sockeye Salmon
06-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Jack will always be remebered for his 7 goals in the GF and for winning the league goalkicking twice, but he wasn't just a FF, he was a very good CHB as well.

Didn't really need another CHB in the 50's.

RIP Jack.

Twodogs
06-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Jack will always be remebered for his 7 goals in the GF and for winning the league goalkicking twice, but he wasn't just a FF, he was a very good CHB as well.

Didn't really need another CHB in the 50's.

RIP Jack.

Good job he had another string to his bow then.

Sockeye Salmon
06-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Good job he had another string to his bow then.

I think he was selected for Victoria as a CHB or CHF but had to pull out because of injury. Instead he played for Footscray but he couldn't move too well so they stuck him in the goalsquare.

He never left.

He also got suspended for striking Collingwood's Frank Tuck in the last round of 53. Our premiership hopes going with him.

LostDoggy
07-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Bit of a character Jack.

Was an excellent leg spin bowler with Bucks in A Turf of the FCA. Used to turn up to the game at about 2.30 or 3.00 having been to the races beforehand.

He would enter the ground, the ball would be thrown to him and he would bowl for the rest of the day. Very fine leggie who took heaps of wickets and sledged unmercifully.

On the football side, if you ever get to look at a replay of the '54 GF, it won' take you long to work out that the plan was to get the ball down to Jack and let him do the rest. Which he did.

A truly great Bulldog.

LostDoggy
07-07-2008, 09:57 AM
I bought my first ever cricket bat from a Footscray cricketer called John Dodd when he was working at Jack's sport store in Nicholson st. in Footscray in the mid '70s. A SS Cheetah with that stupid white canvas stuff wrapped around it.

I bet you plaed top odds for it:D

Pig skin. A bat wasn't a bat unless it had pigskin over the face.

bornadog
07-07-2008, 02:07 PM
From Western Bulldogs Website 7 July 2008

Jack Collins 1930 - 2008 http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Jack20Collins20316.jpg
The Board, staff, coaches and players of the Western Bulldogs extend our sincere condolences to the Collins family on the passing of a former Bulldog whose name will always be etched in our club’s history – Jack Collins.
A member of the 1954 premiership team, past President and life member John Charles (Jack) Collins, 78, was a larger than life character and much loved father of John, Jennifer and Jane and husband to Desiree.
Western Bulldogs President David Smorgon said Jack served the club with distinction and would be remembered as a great man and great footballer.
“Jack played an important role at Footscray, both on and off the field. He was passionate for the game of football and his enthusiasm for this great game extended to establishing groups such as the Premiership Club. He will be greatly missed by the football community,” Smorgon said.
Former Bulldogs Captain and Coach Charlie Sutton described Jack as the closest player he has seen to the quality of Ted Whitten.
“Jack was a great player who could play in any position on the ground. He was real hard at it and had lots of tricks in his books. He was a hard match-up for any opposition and we used that to our advantage,” Sutton said.
“He kicked seven goals in the 1954 final and he was in the top three of best players on the day. He was key in setting up the win for us. He was a real clubman and he would do anything for the Bulldogs.”

A key member of the 1954 premiership team, Jack played 154 games with Footscray from 1950-58 after being recruited from local VFA club Yarraville.
Jack won the Best and Fairest Award in 1951 and 52, was the club’s leading goalkicker five times (1953, 1954, 1955, 1957 and 1958). Secretary of the club from 1959-66 and then President from 1967 to 73 Jack is a key figure in Footscray’s history.
After missing the finals in 1953 through suspension (after a stoush with Collingwood captain Frank Tuck) Jack made up for his absence in 1954 when the champion full-forward booted seven goals and dominated the 54’ final.

Mofra
07-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Knew Jack fairly well as a kid, he was a wonderful bloke who always had time for those around him.

Didn't he once kick 9 goals in a half against Carlton, then spent the second half in the ruck? Trully a gun player, although he did have a reputation for being hot & cold at times.

LostDoggy
07-07-2008, 09:58 PM
I am saddened to hear of the passing of Jack. Met him once at the harness races as he was a member of the square trotters association and he was a delightful man.

Condolences to his family.