PDA

View Full Version : How good are the Cats?

GVGjr
06-07-2008, 08:43 PM
They looked in fantastic form the other night and we will need to be at our best to beat them on their home ground.

Typically we have close games against them but how do you rate our chances?

Mantis
06-07-2008, 08:47 PM
They looked in fantastic form the other night and we will need to be at our best to beat them on their home ground.

Typically we have close games against them but how do you rate our chances?

I'm not sure that our best will be good enough.

One thing for sure is that we have to tackle and chase bloody hard when they have the ball, use the ball well when we have it and fight like cat and dog (pardon the pun) to win the contested ball.

BulldogBelle
06-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Geelong have lifted into another gear and are playing very well. The only concern I have is playing them at Shell stadium, I know we have beaten them before there and have a good record. If we do beat them it will be a huge psychological advantage come finals time. Guess we will know in a few weeks time.

The Coon Dog
06-07-2008, 08:54 PM
I don't think they've been playing as well as last season, tho the past fortnight they have towelled up WCE & Adelaide.

This year it seems like they know what they are capable of & only apply it spasmodically, when challenged or when it suits them.

At times I think they just know that going through the motions for the most part because someone will always lift for them.

Some sides appear beaten before they even get out on the park. They have established a mindset amongst some opposition teams who appear more worried about trying to stop specific individuals, much to their own detriment.

Of course they cam be beaten. Take them on with a specific plan, stick to it & above all, stop the drive they get from their backline. Don't allow Milburn to peel off to make it a 2 on 1, try to take him away from the ball as much as possible. Make sure Scarlett has an opponent, someone who will make him pay on the scoreboard if he shows no respect.

LostDoggy
06-07-2008, 08:56 PM
I cant wait to play this mob. We will have no pressure to come away with the win because we will go in under dogs.

The Pie Man
06-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Reviewing both lists at full strength, they've got the edge on us. Flags are won by clubs not hit hard by injuries, and both Geelong and us haven't been hit hard....so far. Long time to go before September.

They had their 'if it bleeds, you can kill it' night against Collingwood, but they've been scary good since. Still, Lake can shut down Mooney, our backline can match up well with the rest of their forwards - it will be interesting to see how well we can enter our forward 50 against them in a fortnight. Adelaide constantly broke down at half forward on Friday, and give them the opportunity to run and move the pill from half back and it's all over.

JimmySewell
06-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Reviewing both lists at full strength, they've got the edge on us. Flags are won by clubs not hit hard by injuries, and both Geelong and us haven't been hit hard....so far. Long time to go before September.

They had their 'if it bleeds, you can kill it' night against Collingwood, but they've been scary good since. Still, Lake can shut down Mooney, our backline can match up well with the rest of their forwards - it will be interesting to see how well we can enter our forward 50 against them in a fortnight. Adelaide constantly broke down at half forward on Friday, and give them the opportunity to run and move the pill from half back and it's all over.

the best thing for us is that we have 6 really awesome forwards, and they will have to be accountable - so i am confident that they will also find it hard to stop us from scoring - so if we can match it with our backs and our midfield, we are in with a show !

jim

Go_Dogs
06-07-2008, 09:09 PM
I rate our chances pretty highly and I certainly don't think we should be scared of the Cats. (I must say though, I thought Port could well win last years flag, until about the 5 minute mark of the first quarter).

For me, we just have more match winners over the ground - guys capable of tearing a game apart. Geelong have a few blokes who can do this too - but we have more.

I want to see a bit of arrogance when we play them too. Make them scared to put their head over the ball, scared to give us space, scared of our skills and speed.

With the right application defensively, and everyone working at 100% I think we're as good a shot as any side to beat them. Historically over the past few years we have matched up very well on them and played some rippers...I think we match up even better now than we have previously.

The Pie Man
06-07-2008, 09:13 PM
I don't think they've been playing as well as last season, tho the past fortnight they have towelled up WCE & Adelaide.

This year it seems like they know what they are capable of & only apply it spasmodically, when challenged or when it suits them.

At times I think they just know that going through the motions for the most part because someone will always lift for them.

Some sides appear beaten before they even get out on the park. They have established a mindset amongst some opposition teams who appear more worried about trying to stop specific individuals, much to their own detriment.

Of course they cam be beaten. Take them on with a specific plan, stick to it & above all, stop the drive they get from their backline. Don't allow Milburn to peel off to make it a 2 on 1, try to take him away from the ball as much as possible. Make sure Scarlett has an opponent, someone who will make him pay on the scoreboard if he shows no respect.

Yep, completely agree. Scary good how quick and skillfully they move ot from the back half. We had the perfect plan for the Hawks, very interested in what we have in store for the Cats. This game should be switched from Skilled

LostDoggy
06-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Tag Ablett and move the ball quickly. Out run their one paced midfield.

Rocket Science
06-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Not seeking to understate their accomplishments and recent form, but would argue Geelong haven't faced much in the way of legitimate opposition their past three outings.

Port are a disorganised rabble and were ripe for the picking, West Coast might as well not have shown up at all such was their level of opposition, while Adelaide capitulated five minutes in and was never in the hunt. The Cats' last 'test' was a middle of the road North Melbourne a month back who they only knocked over by a couple of kicks on the back of a seven goal bag from Mooney.

By no means suggesting they're at all overrated, they've handed their last three opponents their respective arses, but am looking forward to the challenge in a fortnight's time with intrigue.

Twodogs
06-07-2008, 09:47 PM
A fit Tommy Williams is the key for us. Him running out of the backline and Lake lurking deep in defence is vital to us beating them. Lake can match Mooney who tends to stay close to goal and if he has to stray up field to cover Tom's absence then Mooney will kick mutiple goals without Lake spoiling every mark he goes for.

Twodogs
06-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Not seeking to understate their accomplishments and recent form, but would argue Geelong haven't faced much in the way of legitimate opposition their past three outings.

Port are a disorganised rabble and were ripe for the picking, West Coast might as well not have shown up at all such was their level of opposition, while Adelaide capitulated five minutes in and was never in the hunt. The Cats' last 'test' was a middle of the road North Melbourne a month back who they only knocked over by a couple of kicks on the back of a seven goal bag from Mooney.
By no means suggesting they're at all overrated, they've handed their last three opponents their respective arses, but am looking forward to the challenge in a fortnight's time with intrigue.

I rmember the game but which umpire was he? That game was the most abysmally umpired game I've seen in years. All the decisions went the way of Geelong too.

Strongly concur with the rest of the your post too. They played in fits and spurts on friday night.

hujsh
07-07-2008, 02:55 AM
Tag Ablett and move the ball quickly. Out run their one paced midfield.

That's true. Ablett is all the pace they have in the middle and the rest is from the defense or forwards pushing up the ground.

Can't have Harley Milburn and co taking marks from our forward 50 entries. Enter Minson. Must play like he did vs St.Kilda rd3 where every ball hit the deck due to him

LostDoggy
07-07-2008, 10:08 AM
Tackle like we did against Swans and Brisbane and we will be very competitive. Tackle like we did against Collingwood and we'll get hammered.

LostDoggy
07-07-2008, 11:56 AM

They made players like Edwards, Johncock and Goodwin look second rate on Friday night.

Should be some important coaching lessons to be learnt from it.

One things for sure, we will be able to put more attacking pressure on the Cats than almost any other team and I'm not sure that they have had to deal with this lately??

LostDoggy
07-07-2008, 12:20 PM
How good are the cats?

DAMN GOOD.

2007 Premiership-winning good..

Mofra
07-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Cats will destroy any team that runs a zone-style game against them - hence Adelaide were no match, and the Hawks I also expect to cop a belting against them.

If we don't drop a man behind the ball, we canb win - a 7 man defence is handing them a win before we start, as it can free up a Wojinski/Harley to carve up the forwards.

As mentioned above, quick ball movement is the key, as is keeping a high level of rotation in the forward line so their defence doesn't get too settled at any one time.
Might also be time to unleash DFA into the midfield alot more.

The worry is Geelong tend to zone less than Hawthorn, who let our "quick switch" to the fat side of the ground cut them to pieces. I think thre may be alot more contested play against the Cats than vs anyone we have played this year - even the Swans & Pies.

LostDoggy
07-07-2008, 02:06 PM
I agree. I anticipate a lot of packs in the middle and a lot of bounces until someone can manage to get a clearance. This game will be won and lost by each teams midfield as we are both fairly quick and have good delivery into the forward line.

Expect either a low scoring lock down game as both teams struggle to get clean possesion or one of the biggest scores of the year.

Might need to use Minson in the ruck a bit more than Hudson and have Minson smashing the ball out of the centre to our wingers and flankers.

LostDoggy
07-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Cats I believe are just going through the motions most of the games they have won this year have been on the back of 30 mins of brlliant footy and 90mins of average footy thats how good they are.

But I still feel we have a chance to take it right up to them will it be enough though only time will tell. But for this week I am worried about Melbourne first.

bornadog
07-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Cats I believe are just going through the motions most of the games they have won this year have been on the back of 30 mins of brlliant footy and 90mins of average footy thats how good they are.

But I still feel we have a chance to take it right up to them will it be enough though only time will tell. But for this week I am worried about Melbourne first.

Yes , I would rather worry about Melbourne first. The competition is so close these days that any one can win on their day.

LostDoggy
07-07-2008, 09:07 PM
I must admit watching them demolish Adelaide put a dent into my optimistic armour. Still I don't reckon Bomber Thompson will be chomping on a sandwich when we are playing:p

BulldogBelle
07-07-2008, 09:10 PM
I must admit watching them demolish Adelaide put a dent into my optimistic armour. Still I don't reckon Bomber Thompson will be chomping on a sandwich when we are playing:p

Well it better not be a buffet lunch in the coaches box. :D

We will give them a run for their money!

LostDoggy
08-07-2008, 06:26 PM
I'll bet anything that Rocket has been planning for this game since we played Hawthorn, and he'll have something pretty special up his sleeve. Then another couple of things for the finals.

The best coaches always prepare at least five-plus weeks ahead, and I'll be very surprised if Rocket has shown his hand already -- there have been glimpses of certain forwardline rotations that I'm sure he will start to use a lot more heavily later in the season, as well a couple of unusual zonal setups used in spurts the last couple of weeks (and this just my little amateur observation).

(On the other hand, Alistair Clarkson showed everything in the first 5 weeks of the season and haven't changed anything since, and they're going to get belted in finals as every good coach has already dissected their entire gameplan).

bornadog
08-07-2008, 06:46 PM
I'll bet anything that Rocket has been planning for this game since we played Hawthorn, and he'll have something pretty special up his sleeve. Then another couple of things for the finals.

The best coaches always prepare at least five-plus weeks ahead, and I'll be very surprised if Rocket has shown his hand already -- there have been glimpses of certain forwardline rotations that I'm sure he will start to use a lot more heavily later in the season, as well a couple of unusual zonal setups used in spurts the last couple of weeks (and this just my little amateur observation).

(On the other hand, Alistair Clarkson showed everything in the first 5 weeks of the season and haven't changed anything since, and they're going to get belted in finals as every good coach has already dissected their entire gameplan).

The one area that is going to be really interesting is our forward line versus their backline. Last night on Fox "Ön The Couch" they discussed the Geelong backline and mentioned their players have an average of 150 games each. I still think they will find it hard to match up on us.

dog town
08-07-2008, 10:04 PM
They are quite an unbelieveable side at the moment. They are just moving the ball with such ease and precision especially by hand. They play as if they are certain that not only will the next man down the ground win the footy but he will then choose the right option and execute perfectly. I have never seen a team play the way they did against the crows. Everything they did worked perfectly. They played like millionaires really but it all came off brilliantly for them. Handpassing off balance and over the top to guys running into space and kicking over the shoulder off one step were two of the skills they were mastering on a minute by minute basis.

Having said all that they are certainly beatable. They are almost playing that well that it will only take a side matching it with them for a little bit for it to all start to unravel. Once they start to fold a little bit though you need to go on with it because the confidence they have in themselves is massive. I just think if you can make them turn the footy over and harrass them enough then you are going to be a chance. They cover for each other brilliantly in defense so you really need to generate a fair bit through your midfield. Turn the ball over in that area and then bring it forward with numbers.

dog town
08-07-2008, 10:06 PM
It is worth noting that Adelaide beat Geelong for the contested ball and still got smashed. Winning the footy is only half the battle against them.

The Pie Man
09-07-2008, 12:19 PM
It is worth noting that Adelaide beat Geelong for the contested ball and still got smashed. Winning the footy is only half the battle against them.

I honestly believe they'll give us chances should we meet them in the finals - whoever plays them needs to take their chances - don't be wasteful inside the forward 50, don't miss set shots, definitely try and keep the behinds tally below the goals tally. Pretty obvious stuff that's week in week out, but I can't see a team being 7.12 at half time being in front for example - 12.7 on the other hand, and you have a ball game. We've gotten a lot better with this (except the Hawthorn game - thankfully we were towelling them up anyway)

Was interesting to hear Tom Harley say over the summer that the prelim against Collingwood was the first game that kinda meant something to them last year - as in 'sh.t, we lose tonight and we're out' - and what happened? They got pushed to within a goal.

LostDoggy
09-07-2008, 01:23 PM

They were also beaten in clearances.

Not sure what those two stats mean but given our delivery of the ball is far superior to that of Adelaide, I think we will benefit more from these possessions.

Also we need to give some thought as to who we put with Scarlett who I firmly believe can be beaten on the rebound. Keeping him close to the goalsquare will reduce his run out of defence and go a long way to halting many of their attacking moves which start through him.

Mantis
09-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Also we need to give some thought as to who we put with Scarlett who I firmly believe can be beaten on the rebound. Keeping him close to the goalsquare will reduce his run out of defence and go a long way to halting many of their attacking moves which start through him.

Who will he pick up?

Would they get him to pick up Welsh? Or would they use him to play on Minson when he is down there and then play on a small?

LostDoggy
09-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Johnson would be my choice but they may force Johnson onto Harley who can't handle him.

Welsh has proved to be good on the chase and keeping the ball in, so he may get the nod with some expectations put on him not allowing Scarlett to run off.

LostDoggy
09-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Johnson would be my choice but they may force Johnson onto Harley who can't handle him.

Welsh has proved to be good on the chase and keeping the ball in, so he may get the nod with some expectations put on him not allowing Scarlett to run off.

You make it sound as though we have to pick up Scarlett?? With Scarlett being a back man should he not be picking up one of our forwards?

The Coon Dog
09-07-2008, 03:54 PM
You make it sound as though we have to pick up Scarlett?? With Scarlett being a back man should he not be picking up one of our forwards?

Ordinarily yes, but Scarlett prefers to zone off & play unaccountable football which seems to suit Geelong. He starts much of their run from defence, so keeping him occupied is vital.

hujsh
09-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Scarlett on Minson is dangerous would be like when he plays on Rocca but Rocca could move up he ground.

The Pie Man
09-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Scarlett on Minson is dangerous would be like when he plays on Rocca but Rocca could move up he ground.

And you can try to go through Will as much as possible in this scenario to make Scarlett accountable, but he hasn't quite got his mits working overhead yet. He'd be a nice footballer once he works more on that aspect (I'm still a fan)

bornadog
09-07-2008, 06:01 PM
And you can try to go through Will as much as possible in this scenario to make Scarlett accountable, but he hasn't quite got his mits working overhead yet. He'd be a nice footballer once he works more on that aspect (I'm still a fan)

We may use the same set up as we did for the Collingwood game, ie no Minson at FF.

The Pie Man
10-07-2008, 10:40 AM
We may use the same set up as we did for the Collingwood game, ie no Minson at FF.

Potentially - unless you hit him on the chest, it's no guarantee.

Tom Williams could be a surprise forward option with Lonergan the 2nd forward optin at the moment not really that tall. Unless they promote Hawkins as well, then that's all Tommy's

Sockeye Salmon
10-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Potentially - unless you hit him on the chest, it's no guarantee.

Tom Williams could be a surprise forward option with Lonergan the 2nd forward optin at the moment not really that tall. Unless they promote Hawkins as well, then that's all Tommy's

When did 196cm suddenly become "not really that tall"?

LostDoggy
10-07-2008, 12:13 PM

Haha yeah. Since Giant Sandilands, I suppose.

Wayne Carey is short next to him.

The Pie Man
10-07-2008, 01:43 PM

Is he really? Clearly I haven't researched that - my bad (he doesn't look it)

He's in good form too, though I saw him get hit on the lead against Adelaide, not much overhead, which I associate with tall forwards.

Mantis
10-07-2008, 01:50 PM
He's in good form too, though I saw him get hit on the lead against Adelaide, not much overhead, which I associate with tall forwards.

Yeah it's hard taking chest marks and kicking goals from handballs over the top.

The Pie Man
10-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Yeah it's hard taking chest marks and kicking goals from handballs over the top.

It can sometimes annoy me when people focus on short forward lines like ours - what's the difference between being 5'10 and 6'3 when the delivery is darted onto your chest leading out?

Granted, if you're kicking forward under pressure (which is the finals scenario that's constantly referenced by the media) you'll need a tall to take a pack mark or bring it to ground, but I think our current forward structure can get it done in September.

Sockeye Salmon
10-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Is he really? Clearly I haven't researched that - my bad (he doesn't look it)

He looks it, he just doesn't play it. Everitt could handle him if Williams has to go to Ottens/Mooney.

hujsh
08-08-2008, 08:53 PM
about 9 minutes into the second quarter before Melb scored and it was an accidental rushed behind.

hujsh
08-08-2008, 09:05 PM
24 minutes into the second before Melb goals:eek:

LostDoggy
08-08-2008, 11:46 PM
wow..

Tonight they really showed how much is in between the top and bottom side

Stevo
09-08-2008, 09:28 AM
wow..

There is a huge gap between the two however I also believe that they have a significant gap between most other sides as well.
Make no mistake, the Cats outfit is one the best ever assembled and any team that beats them will need to play at their absolute best.

Mofra
10-08-2008, 12:01 AM
wow..

They won by 19 goals. We beat Melbourne by 95 points, Hawks won by just over 100.

Only problem is we beat them at the start of the year, Geelong are looking ominous when it really matters.