PDA

View Full Version : Injuries force McDougall to hang up boots

The Coon Dog
17-07-2008, 03:55 AM
Injuries force McDougall to hang up boots (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24031906-19742,00.html)

Mark Stevens | July 17, 2008

ANDREW McDougall's chequered AFL career is over.

The 25-year-old quit the Western Bulldogs late last week after a meeting with club officials.

It was an amicable departure after McDougall returned from a break in Perth, his home city, to ponder his future.

McDougall, a back-up key defensive option, could not break into the strong Dogs line-up this year.

Several injuries have also held him back from being a regular player with Williamstown at VFL level.

Williamstown's list is so deep, McDougall was recently forced to make his comeback from injury in the VFL reserves.

It was a sad scenario for a talented player taken by West Coast at pick No. 5 overall in the 2000 national draft.

The Eagles rated McDougall so highly they took him 13 places above Daniel Kerr.

The Dogs secured McDougall in the 2006 trade period in a shuffle of mid-range draft picks.

Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia last night confirmed McDougall had questioned the worth of continuing his career.

"In his mind, he's retired," Fantasia said.

"He's been carrying injuries and it's been frustrating for him.

"Basically, he made a decision after speaking with the coaches that it was too hard for him. He had an open relationship with the coaches. There is no animosity at all."

It is believed McDougall was told he, like everybody else on the playing list, was still a chance to break into the senior line-up.

McDougall kicked 48 goals in 38 games with West Coast from 2001 to 2006. He was a Rising Star nominee in 2003.

After playing in last year's NAB Cup series and the first two home-and-away games, McDougall struggled to be a regular at the Bulldogs.

He managed only five games for the season and could not add to that total this year.

McDougall was always going to face an uphill battle to break into the team this season, with Scott Welsh being recruited from Adelaide as a forward and Andrejs Everitt and Tom Williams emerging as key defenders.

LostDoggy
17-07-2008, 08:40 AM
Disappointing for Doogs but I like many thought that he was going to be let go by the end of the season anyway. Good luck to him for future endevours.

ledge
17-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Going from this report was Doogs still injured and can we bring up a rookie?
Are we going to do what St kilda did with Gehrig if this is the case?
Just how are the AFL rules regarding this issue and if so can we possibly wrangle them in anyway to get a rookie up?

The Coon Dog
17-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Going from this report was Doogs still injured and can we bring up a rookie?
We did when Monty retired. Gotta be placed on the long tern injury list tho.

ledge
17-07-2008, 11:44 AM
So it has to be stated he retired through injury then.
It seems from the article he wasnt injured but suffered a lot of injuries previously as we know, could the AFL say no as its a retirement not a specific injury, as with Gehrig they had him have an operation and he hasnt retired officially.

craigsahibee
17-07-2008, 11:45 AM
We did when Monty retired. Gotta be placed on the long tern injury list tho.

If we place him on the Long Term Injury List, do we have to continue to pay him?

The Coon Dog
17-07-2008, 12:03 PM
If we place him on the Long Term Injury List, do we have to continue to pay him?

You would assume that would be a minor matter to sort out. Yes, but at a reduced rate I would think.

Go_Dogs
17-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Sorry to hear this. I was one who thought he may just make it as a key defensive player this year after looking OK during our terrible finish to last year.

As far as bringing in a rookie - no one would be worth considering at this stage I shouldn't think.

strebla
17-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Sorry to hear this. I was one who thought he may just make it as a key defensive player this year after looking OK during our terrible finish to last year.

As far as bringing in a rookie - no one would be worth considering at this stage I shouldn't think.

Totaly agree no good bringing up a rookie if he isn't going to play in the ones that is now 2 off our list for the year should make it a little easier come cutting time

Good luck to big doogs i hope you get your body right

Mantis
17-07-2008, 02:13 PM
It was worth a go as in reality it cost us nothing.

On the form Doogs showed at the end of last year I thought he could play a role this year, but his body hasn't allowed him to get on the park.

bornadog
17-07-2008, 02:43 PM
The way Eade spoke on Sunday about McDougall, I thought something was up.

Good luck to him and hope his future is bright.

LostDoggy
17-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Good luck to Andrew -- always put in when on the park but injuries and the pace of the game just went past him a bit unfortunately. Never whinged and seemed an extremely amiable and down-to-earth fellow. Thank you for the service, brief as it was.

LostDoggy
17-07-2008, 07:27 PM
The way Eade spoke on Sunday about McDougall, I thought something was up.

Good luck to him and hope his future is bright.

What did Rocket say and was it at his press conference after the Melbourne game?

Anyway, I was hoping that Doogs would come through this year ...... espacially after the good form he showed in defence late last season.

A disappointing finish to a career that obviously looked good when he first started.

All the best to him.

LostDoggy
20-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Best of luck Doogs.

hujsh
20-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Wait! We need you now:D