PDA

View Full Version : Any chance of a letdown this week?

GVGjr
21-07-2008, 10:41 PM
We really built ourselves up for a big effort against the top of the table Cats but is anyone else concerned that we might not back up that well this week?

I think the secret is how hard Eade is prepared to push the guys to treat this game as a vital one.
We need to treat this game agianst Carlton as a serious one in my opinion. Their form against the Swans was pretty good.

Thoughts?

Go_Dogs
21-07-2008, 10:44 PM
We really built ourselves up for a big effort against the top of the table Cats but is anyone else concerned that we might not back up that well this week?

I think the secret is how hard Eade is prepared to push the guys to treat this game as a vital one.
We need to treat this game agianst Carlton as a serious one in my opinion. Their form against the Swans was pretty good.

Thoughts?

I tend to agree, and over the years we've often been pretty poor after building ourselves up for a big game the week before.

I think it's very much a danger game, and Carlton are starting to play some decent footy. They really pushed Sydney and Judd as well as Stevens were pretty quiet, Gibbs and a few others have really been pulling their weight.

LostDoggy
21-07-2008, 11:13 PM
No. Jordan McMahon is no longer at the club and Lappin has retired.

bornadog
22-07-2008, 12:13 AM
Its a must win to make sure we haven't lost any confidence like last year when we got belted by Geelong on the way to a run of seven bad games (except the draw against the Saints).

We have to come out hungrier than ever and prove that we are the real deal.

We need Murphy, Hahn firing as well as the midfield, they have all been down the past two weeks. Griffen and Welsh will be better for the run after not playing a game for three weeks. Tommy may be a bit rusty, and if Higgns comes in, he will be rusty. Definitely a danger game.

LostDoggy
22-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Our form since the win over Brisbane has been ordinary and unless this is turned around, we will struggle against a side which earlier in the year we would have smashed.

Williams back will be a major boost whether he plays a great game or not. His presence adds structure to the backline which without him is all over the place.

Sedat
22-07-2008, 11:27 AM
If we are currently loading up our training for a taper down just before finals (as has been mooted but not officially confirmed), that could be a factor against a hard running side like Carlton. They are also very strong in the contested possessions, an area that we have been poor in recent weeks. They have a very strong midfield group but do have some deficiencies, namely in the ruck and also in defence. Carazzo is their small defender and he is struggling to contain his direct opponent most weeks - we have an abundance of small forwards who could really hurt Carlton if they can't cut the supply. They can also be a bit one-dimensional up forward, with too much ball funnelling through to Fevola, who has really struggled against us in recent seasons. If we can break even in the contested possessions and the clearances, I think we should provide enough scoring opportunities to kick a winning score.

LostDoggy
22-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Massive danger game, Carlton always worry us. Fevola is a concern, he is far to good for Lake.

GVGjr
22-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Massive danger game, Carlton always worry us. Fevola is a concern, he is far to good for Lake.

Not that I share your ongoing negative tone about the Doggies but I do think this is a danger game especially if the guys are down because of the loss to the Cats.

Happy Days
22-07-2008, 07:05 PM

Good Fev is too good for Lake, but there is an equal chance the Bad Fev will make an appearance.

Not very likely that Aka, Hahn and the rest of the lads will all have two bad ones in a row.

Mantis
22-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Not very likely that Aka, Hahn and the rest of the lads will all have two bad ones in a row.

Or 3 or 4 bad ones in some cases...

1eyedog
22-07-2008, 08:40 PM

Yep we could lose this one easily and get on a negative roll. Hope not, just one of those gut feelings.

alwaysadog
23-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Right now Eade would know whether we had the proverbial stuffing knocked out or received a wake up call.
In the past I would have argued for the stuffing needle and thread to be brought out, but this year we have risen under pressure, last saturday excepted, so I think we will bounce back.
Sure Carlton will try to exploit any perceived let down but they can't go with us for four quarters if we have our heads in the right place.

LostDoggy
23-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Or 3 or 4 bad ones in some cases...

3 or 4?
Just because you think Hahn had a shocker against Collingwood does mean you are right.
The coaches gave him votes.

Mantis
23-07-2008, 09:44 AM
3 or 4?
Just because you think Hahn had a shocker against Collingwood does mean you are right.
The coaches gave him votes.

Wasn't talking about Hahn with that one.

The Underdog
23-07-2008, 10:02 AM

I agree that it's a massive danger game. Carlton beat us last year and they are a much improved team with a midfield that is turning into a real threat. Their backline is also young and improving but still probably their weakness which we can hopefully exploit.
You're right that good Fev is too good for Lake however Dale Morris has owned his ass recently so we have options should things not work out. He is aslo a headcase who can disappear for games at a time, but a matchwinner on his day. By no means should we be taking this game lightly. Having said that I think we are a markedly better team than they are at our best so should be able to get over the line.

bornadog
23-07-2008, 02:07 PM
I agree that it's a massive danger game. Carlton beat us last year and they are a much improved team with a midfield that is turning into a real threat. Their backline is also young and improving but still probably their weakness which we can hopefully exploit.
You're right that good Fev is too good for Lake however Dale Morris has owned his ass recently so we have options should things not work out. He is aslo a headcase who can disappear for games at a time, but a matchwinner on his day. By no means should we be taking this game lightly. Having said that I think we are a markedly better team than they are at our best so should be able to get over the line.

I would love to see us kick a big score on Sunday and really give it to them and show that we have lost no confidence.

Mofra
23-07-2008, 02:08 PM
I'm thinking it could be the opposite - we've forgotten how a loss feels, and it seems to have hit the boys hard.

We should come out breathing fire & making a statement of our own - that we aren't going to let one stumble disrupt our whole season. I think we will.

craigsahibee
23-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Good Fev is too good for Lake, but there is an equal chance the Bad Fev will make an appearance.

Good Fev is probably too good for all Full Backs in the AFL. He's not much good if the pill doesn't get to him that often. Restrict his options and the Blues have nothing else.

ledge
23-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Great thing about Fev is if his first two receives from the midfield are bad he drops his head and the whole side follows.
Most important thing for us is to make sure those first two passes are rushed, by pressure on Carltons midfield.

BulldogBelle
23-07-2008, 08:00 PM
I reckon our players would have done a bit of soul searching after our loss to Geelong. They would be only to aware how the wheels fell off last year and would be keen to atone and get back on the winning list this week.

I expect a tough, hard game by both sides and I still think the Dogs will prevail over Carlton. Looking forward to this match.

Super 27
23-07-2008, 08:14 PM
I am looking forward to the game after last years dissapointment when Lappin pantsed McMahon....I dislike the twilight games though.

bornadog
23-07-2008, 09:19 PM
I am looking forward to the game after last years dissapointment when Lappin pantsed McMahon....I dislike the twilight games though.

I am not a fan of the twighlight games either.

The Underdog
23-07-2008, 10:24 PM
I am not a fan of the twighlight games either.

Yeah a horrible time for football on a Sunday, big fan of the 1pm Sunday game, leaves some time to enjoy the rest of the day.

LostDoggy
23-07-2008, 10:44 PM
I like them- then i can do some schoolwork Sunday afternoon without being too excited to do any work for hours :P or angry, in the Kangaroos game case.

I'm certainly not taking this game lightly, and after last week im sort of worried about the result. It was a bit of a shock to the system- i hope the boys can get in some form, and we have a nice, slightly reassuring win.

1eyedog
23-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Great thing about Fev is if his first two receives from the midfield are bad he drops his head and the whole side follows.
Most important thing for us is to make sure those first two passes are rushed, by pressure on Carltons midfield.

That's a bit dramatic. They have staunch leaders in the midfield now and I think they are a better unit than that, but I agree that Shag is a confidence player.

hujsh
23-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Twilights are good when you have Local footy commitments.

Bulldog4life
24-07-2008, 01:46 AM

Exactly right. Even though we wre beaten last year by Carlton at the MCG Morris didn't give Fevola a look in even though the ball was regularly in their vicinty.