29-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Ryan O’Keefe

Number: 5
190cm, 88 kg.
158 games, 175 goals.
DOB: 24-1-81

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ryan_o%27keefe.jpg

Bio from Sydneyswans.com.au

As dependable as ever in 2007, even though he had to shoulder more responsibility because of key forward Barry Hall’s groin injury. Led the Swans for inside-50 possessions (92) and took 121 marks. The 2005 premiership player has strong hands and uses his stamina to run deep into defence to help out when needed. Equal runner-up (with Brett Kirk) in the 2006 best and fairest.

Career

The left-footed defender was selected with Sydney's third pick - number 56 overall - in the 1999 AFL National Draft after winning the Calder Cannons' best and fairest in the TAC Cup competition, polling second in the coaches' award and being named in the back-pocket in the TAC Cup Team of the Year. He managed five senior matches in his first season and 13 in his second - one being the 2001 elimination final loss to Hawthorn where he booted Sydney's opening goal then hurt a knee minutes later. The injury and suspension disrupted the first half of his 2002 season but he stormed back for the final six games when he moved up the ground and booted four goals against the Kangaroos in round 19. He showed his robust abilities in 2003 playing 16 games around the ground and booting 17 goals. But it was 2004 when O'Keefe flourished as a serious forward option, finishing second at the Club in marks (124) and kicking 33 majors - 21 in the second half of season - including a bag of five against Geelong in round 16, after playing all 24-games, to come fourth in the best and fairest and be named the Most Improved Player. He set the AFL world alight in 2005, earning praise from Brisbane coach Leigh Matthews who said "Barry Hall has become a great player and Ryan O'Keefe all of a sudden is pushing into that category" after his 25 possession effort in round 20. In the second half of the year he was consistently near the best on ground and finished with 31 goals and 19 or more touches in nine games - including his best on ground performance in the preliminary final against St Kilda (24 disposals, ten marks and two goals) to earn an Australian guernsey in the International Rules Series. Last year he again took his game to another level setting the benchmark for fitness. The hard running and hard working half-forward's consistent season earned him All-Australian honours, and saw him tied runner-up in the best and fairest. He finished the season being named player of the series in Australia's International Rules tour of Ireland.

Sockeye’s Stuff

Sydney are not the most attacking side at the best of times and with Goodes and O’Laughlin to miss and Hall more concerned about deciding which gorgeous model to shag rather than bothering to get a kick, Sydney will be relying on O’Keefe to do a poultice of work forward of the centre.

The grandson of former Bulldog Leo Ryan* (1934-41, 119 games, 3 goals) and son of another Bulldog, Brian O’Keefe (1980, 3 games, 1 goal) - O’Keefe is a machine who simply presents to the ball over and over again.

*NB: It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that O’Keefe’s grandfather was Lionel Ryan rather than Leo Ryan because I always get confused about this. Leo was born in 1913 which would have made him pretty old (except that he was already dead) when Ryan was born - Sockeye Salmon.

Have a look at some of this guy’s stats – and don’t forget that he’s a half forward, not a midfielder:

Getting it and using it.

* 350 disposals – 2nd behind Kirk – and 129 of them have been contested. For us, only Cooney, Boyd and Cross have more contested possessions.
* 86 marks. His 17 contested would be equal first for us (with Hahn).
* 22 clangers – we have 18 players with 22 or more clangers! And not many of those 18 have had 350 chances to stuff it up.

He wins it a lot and rarely buggers it up when he does.

Forward stuff

* His 15 goal assists would make him 3rd for us behind Johnson and Murphy (both on 16).
* His 76 inside 50’s is just behind Murphy and Griffen.
* One weakness is his goal kicking – 20-25 for the year. 45 shots is pretty good for someone who spends a lot of time as a high half forward but 44% accuracy is in the Buddy Franklin category.
* 23 marks inside 50 – 3rd behind O’Laughlin and Hall.
* You like your forwards to apply pressure? How about 56 tackles? (Hahn has 59, Cross 81, Boyd 62)

So, in conclusion, we have a guy who takes contested marks and tackles like Hahn. He wins midfielder stats as a high half forward and sends it into forward 50 more often than Cooney. He has less clangers than Gilbee and more goal assists than Gia.

This bloke is a seriously good player!

LostDoggy
29-07-2008, 02:18 PM
His last 3 games against us...

Win @ SCG, 2008
32 Disposals, 1 goal 2 behinds

Loss @ Manuka, 2007
22 Disposals, 0 goals 0 behinds

Loss @ SCG, 2006
20 Disposals, 1 goal 0 behinds

He doesnt kick bags against us but does get plenty of the ball..

I rate him as one of Sydneys best..maybe Williams will get him if he returns...

Sockeye Salmon
29-07-2008, 02:39 PM
His last 3 games against us...

Win @ SCG, 2008
32 Disposals, 1 goal 2 behinds

Loss @ Manuka, 2007
22 Disposals, 0 goals 0 behinds

Loss @ SCG, 2006
20 Disposals, 1 goal 0 behinds

He doesnt kick bags against us but does get plenty of the ball..

I rate him as one of Sydneys best..maybe Williams will get him if he returns...

That's what I forgot to write - O'Keefe is about to get Gloved!

1eyedog
29-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Good analysis SS he is a super player and one of the genuine players who would look very dashing in red, white and blue.

The Pie Man
29-07-2008, 04:14 PM

Agreed - perfect matchup - who took him earlier in the year? I was overseas

Morris has only lost to O'Loughlin (will he be out again) and Steve Johnson for memory. O'Keefe is a gun, and Morris is perfect for him.

Interesting stats too Sockeye, nice profile

bornadog
29-07-2008, 06:26 PM

Great write up SS. I agree that Morro should get the job on him.

GVGjr
29-07-2008, 08:44 PM
He's a terrific player and like a lot of the Swans players he just works so hard. I have noticed that he seems to be playing a bit more upfield now than previous years.

1eyedog
29-07-2008, 08:54 PM
He's a terrific player and like a lot of the Swans players he just works so hard. I have noticed that he seems to be playing a bit more upfield now than previous years.

He plays where Roos tells him to depending on the opposition CHF to CHB to run with. Started out as a forward and has played back the last 3 seasons, he's now a classic utility.

Big Will
29-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Agreed - perfect matchup - who took him earlier in the year? I was overseas

Morris has only lost to O'Loughlin (will he be out again) and Steve Johnson for memory. O'Keefe is a gun, and Morris is perfect for him.

Interesting stats too Sockeye, nice profile

Absolute Gun! My favourite non-bulldogs player. Gilbee matched up on him earlier in the year.

The Underdog
29-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Excellent choice Sockeye. O'Keefe is a guy who gets very few plaudits but he is absolutely one of the most important players in the Sydney team. Works and competes incredibly hard. One of the most underrated players in the comp. I agree that Morris is probably the first matchup for him and it should be a cracker of a competition.

LostDoggy
02-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Nice work SS. Have always rated O'Keefe.. his stats alone are quite unbelievable. Did he get something like 22 kicks a couple of weeks ago. He's a freak (and easily one of the most under-rated players in the comp -- if he played for Collingwood he would be a superstar -- much better CHF than your Clokes, for example).

*just checked. Had 24 kicks two weeks ago and 26 (!!) last week! (26 kicks, 9 handballs, 10 marks), That's ridiculous.

BulldogBelle
02-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Good work SS and you have chosen one of Sydney's most important players IMO to write about.

As others have mentioned ROK just works his butt off, he can play where needed so a versatile type of player. Doesn't get the plaudits that should come his way but just watching him play he just does it with so much ease. One of my favourite non bulldog players.

1eyedog
03-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Nice work SS. Have always rated O'Keefe.. his stats alone are quite unbelievable. Did he get something like 22 kicks a couple of weeks ago. He's a freak (and easily one of the most under-rated players in the comp -- if he played for Collingwood he would be a superstar -- much better CHF than your Clokes, for example).

*just checked. Had 24 kicks two weeks ago and 26 (!!) last week! (26 kicks, 9 handballs, 10 marks), That's ridiculous.

It's not the size of them that matters it's what you do with them. I have a problem with his disposal sometimes as he a few makes critical errors. Bowden last year racked up 40+ possessions and Carrazzo gets 30+ a week and doesn't appear to do much with them. ROK is a great player though granted.

Sockeye Salmon
03-08-2008, 01:24 PM
[/B]

It's not the size of them that matters it's what you do with them. I have a problem with his disposal sometimes as he a few makes critical errors. Bowden last year racked up 40+ possessions and Carrazzo gets 30+ a week and doesn't appear to do much with them. ROK is a great player though granted.

See above.

ROK has had fewer clangers this year than Gilbee.

His hurt factor is pretty high.

bornadog
03-08-2008, 06:16 PM
I thought Ray did a good job on him today, even though Okeefe had 28 disposals, they didn't seem to hurt us and Ray picked up 17 himself.

Bulldog Revolution
03-08-2008, 06:19 PM
It was a very interesting matchup choice and probably shows the esteem in which Farren is held by the coaching staff

1eyedog
03-08-2008, 09:41 PM
See above.

Yep Roger that I always thought he was a little more untidy than that, fair enough.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Yep Roger that I always thought he was a little more untidy than that, fair enough.

I did too.

Probably just his kicking style, it's not as 'graceful' as Gilbees, and additionally to that, Sydney play a clustered ugly style of football so it's probably easy to forget players like O'Keefe have very good skills.

Mantis
03-08-2008, 11:13 PM
See above.

Noticed today that O'Keefe tends to kick short to a lead up target's which means his efficiency would be pretty high.

Gilbee's kicking penetration hurts teams, O'Keefe doesn't.

Sockeye Salmon
03-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Noticed today that O'Keefe tends to kick short to a lead up target's which means his efficiency would be pretty high.

That goes for their whole team (bar Kirk)

Gilbee's kicking penetration hurts teams, O'Keefe doesn't.

Absolutely, but them I've never seen a player with more hurt factor in their kicking than Gilbee.

1eyedog
04-08-2008, 01:04 AM
That goes for their whole team (bar Kirk)

Absolutely, but them I've never seen a player with more hurt factor in their kicking than Gilbee.

Hawkins would have been close to par though

Sockeye Salmon
04-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Hawkins would have been close to par though

Gilbee>Cameron>Hawkins